Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Supplements and Low Carb Products > Vitamins and Supplements
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2012, 10:08 AM   #331
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: antzy_26
Hi everyone!

I have read a lot of articles for biotin and many many reviews but i couldn't find someone with the above question so i made an account here so i can discuss it, I hope you can help..
I have hormonal issues, and i mean that i have some hair on my face, belly and generally in unusual places. Also I have thick hair on my head , but very damaged by dying and perms. So the only reason i want to take biotin is because i want long hair without waiting too many years (i started cutting my hair so i get rid of the hair that is damaged and start a new natural hair journey...)
I need to know if biotin can help and at the same time it will not increase the hormonal problem. (I am spending so much money to do lazer hair remove and i don't want to grow back all the hair i got rid of)
Please please reply ! Thanx !!

Last edited by antzy_26; 12-22-2012 at 10:11 AM..
antzy_26 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-26-2012, 01:48 AM   #332
Administrator

Gallery: cheri
Stats: 150 + pounds lost - 4' 11"
I would think that it would be possible to make any hair that is naturally growing on the body grow faster and thicker but then if you are getting lazer hair removal that is damaging the hair folicle and thus killing the hair growth in that area so my "guess" would be that it shouldn't grow where you killed the hair growth. You may want to talk to your physician to confirm my thoughts. I am sure they could tell you what would happen.
cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 02:34 AM   #333
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: antzy_26
Thank you very much for your reply. I would love to ask a doctor but here in Greece doctors i have visited always told me not to take supplaments ( i can't understand why) . When i ask they say either that it is not good taking vitamins with that way (pills) and not naturally or they say that because of the gastric fluids any kind of pill will be destroyed unless i eat too much... Well, nevertheless thank you again for showing interest
antzy_26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 01:00 AM   #334
Administrator

Hopefully someone that has experienced lazer hair removal and also take biotin for their hair and nails will chime in.. I am pretty sure my comment would be right though.. If the hair folicle or root is distroyed then I doubt it will regrow.. You could always ask the tech that is doing the lazer hair removal.. They would probably be able to tell you also.. At least hopefully since they are in the hair growth business.. Good luck and please post letting us know what you end up doing.. This thread is very imformative so the added information is something that a lot of others may find very helpful!

Take care!!

cheri

I used to live to eat... now I eat to live!
Don't be a victim of Dieters remorse.. Don't cheat.. stay on plan!
Old 01-07-2013, 09:56 PM   #335
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: imstarryeyed
WOE: lacto ovo pesco vegetarian low carb
Start Date: April 12, 2012
Thought I would update. I'm not really sure if biotin or anything else was helping me. I decided I couldn't wait any longer and started wearing wigs. If nothing else, my hair is getting a rest from chemicals and curling irons. I've lost a lot of weight this year which may be slowing growth and causing more thinning. You know when you look better in a wig than your own hair, your own hair is really bad.
imstarryeyed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:19 AM   #336
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by imstarryeyed View Post
Thought I would update. I'm not really sure if biotin or anything else was helping me. I decided I couldn't wait any longer and started wearing wigs. If nothing else, my hair is getting a rest from chemicals and curling irons. I've lost a lot of weight this year which may be slowing growth and causing more thinning. You know when you look better in a wig than your own hair, your own hair is really bad.

I am so sorry your hair is still thinning.. Since you had a lot of weightloss it could be partly the cause.. Have you tried using rogaine for women along with the biotin? I used that at the very start and then discontinued it when the hairloss stopped and my hairdresser told me she could see new growth. The reason I used the rogaine was to get it to stop falling out.. That was the main thing.. and it did help! I got the walmart brand because the name brand was a big pricey.. Try it and see if that will help stop the loss and the biotin will hopefully start the growth for you.. Make sure you take 5,000 mcg in the morning and 5,000 mcg at night to spred out and keep the biotin in your body.. This is what I did also.. My hair got super thin and these things helped bring it back to what it looks like in my avatar.. I hope this helps!!

cheri
Old 01-08-2013, 09:56 PM   #337
Senior LCF Member

Thanks, Cheri! I happen to have both the biotin and generic rogaine on my shelf and I started using them today. I quit the rogaine before surgery last year and it may make a difference now that I'm healthier. I will update in a few months. I hope I'm as successful as you.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:25 AM   #338
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: MsPeanut
Quote:
Originally Posted by bely202 View Post
It's been tow weeks now and I think biotin does somehow help to stop my hair loss. I still have to be extra gentle with my hair during the shower. However, I am facing another problem now. I am having two huge cystic breakouts on my chin. I was looking back to see what could have been the cause, and biotin crossed my mind. I then googled the side effects of bioton and many people told about having severe breakout after taking biotin. I'm not sure if I take too much (right now i'm taking 5000mcg per day). Maybe I will stop taking until my acne goes away. I just wanna ask if anyone on here has the same problem. How about you Cheri?
Hi .. I just found this thread. I use Biotin and have had breakouts with it, but it was because I was not drinking enough water.

I have just started taking biotin again since New Years Day. In the past I have had much success with hair growth - after a few weeks of use. My problem was I was not consistant with taking it everyday. (Seemed like the pills were getting stuck in my throat... )

I went to Walmart the other day and found that they have the smaller BIOTIN gelcaps (5000 mcg - which is 5mg) , which are easier to take. My nails are growing like crazy , but they grow long anyway. I take biotin along with MSM and vitamin C..

I am just trying to grow my hair back - I grew my hair out and decided that I wanted to put a relaxer in it and it came out .... I have always seen the Biotin Shampoo , I will go out and get some on next week. I will post my success in about a month. Will take measurements of the growth.
MsPeanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 02:03 PM   #339
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: margame
Stats: size 1x/2x ---> 12 and shrinking (5'7")
WOE: lc:>10%c/20-30%p/60-70%f
Start Date: jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by margame View Post
thx for all the info, everyone.
off to get my biotin shampoo/cond and supplements.
reporting in with results: well i did get the shampoo/cond and the supplements a day or two after this post. just some background info: i was losing my hair by the fists full every time i shampooed or even after i just brushed my hair (i should have taken pictures of the amount of hair i'd have to clean out of the shower!) so i searched the posts and came up with this thread.

IT HAS BEEN A LIFE SAVER!!! THANKS TO ALL WHO CONTRIBUTED TO IT!!!

i used the shampoo/cond every time i washed my hair untill the bottles were used up. but more importantly i took the supplements every day, twice a day for a total of 10000mcg. i stopped using the shampoo and cond after they were used up, because i figured that it's more important to supplement what i'm missing in my diet than what "soap" i'm using on my hair. anyhow, IT HAS WORKED! my hair is now growing in much thicker than before and just as important, it has STOPPED falling out like before ... there is still a bit of hair loss, but it has slowed down dramatically. i didn't see any real results for the first 3 or 4 months.

now, i'm just waiting for my fingernails to get back to a more normal state.

goal: to have my "saved" 1980s skinny clothes fit me again

"abs are made in the kitchen" tom venuto

low carb eating - the fountain of youth

Last edited by margame; 05-26-2013 at 02:05 PM..
margame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 02:31 PM   #340
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: debkeversole
Stats: 370/343/199
WOE: 8/29/11 R9P2 HCG diet
Start Date: 10-8-09
debkeversole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 07:19 PM   #341
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by margame View Post
reporting in with results: well i did get the shampoo/cond and the supplements a day or two after this post. just some background info: i was losing my hair by the fists full every time i shampooed or even after i just brushed my hair (i should have taken pictures of the amount of hair i'd have to clean out of the shower!) so i searched the posts and came up with this thread.

IT HAS BEEN A LIFE SAVER!!! THANKS TO ALL WHO CONTRIBUTED TO IT!!!

i used the shampoo/cond every time i washed my hair untill the bottles were used up. but more importantly i took the supplements every day, twice a day for a total of 10000mcg. i stopped using the shampoo and cond after they were used up, because i figured that it's more important to supplement what i'm missing in my diet than what "soap" i'm using on my hair. anyhow, IT HAS WORKED! my hair is now growing in much thicker than before and just as important, it has STOPPED falling out like before ... there is still a bit of hair loss, but it has slowed down dramatically. i didn't see any real results for the first 3 or 4 months.

now, i'm just waiting for my fingernails to get back to a more normal state.

Wow.. that is terrific news!!!! I am so glad it worked for you!! Congratulations!
Old 05-29-2013, 10:30 AM   #342
Senior LCF Member

I have been reluctant to post results because they are not fabulous, I'm sorry to say. I think my hair loss has stopped but I don't see much regrowth, if any. To be fair, I've always had fine, thin, straight hair.

I have faithfully taken 5,000 mcg biotin morning and night since I posted in January. I also use minoxidil and alternate between nioxin and biotin shampoo. On top of that I take several other supplements including silica, C, D, B12, multiple, and some for osteoarthritis.

My nails are strong and healthy and growing fast. I am going to continue taking the supplements. Not so sure about the minoxidil. I have been using castor oil on my face and notice more hair growing THERE so I might try it on my hair. Only problem is that it is very sticky and hard to distribute. I may dilute with witch hazel and see what happens. I'll report back if I have good results.

Congratulations to you margame! You and cheri give me hope!
Old 03-31-2014, 02:24 PM   #343
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Arachide
Stats: 249/239/135
Start Date: March 2014
I just read this entire thread. I'm wondering if anyone is still taking this after all this time and still having good results?
Arachide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 04:49 PM   #344
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Ronnie51
I've been taking 5000 mcg of Biotin for around four months and so far I haven't seen any results as far as my thinning hair :-(. I discussed the hair loss with my doctor and he said it's due to low hormones since I'm seven years post menopausal. So, I'll continue taking the Biotin until I run out and if still no results, I won't buy it again. I had such high hopes.......
Ronnie51 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 07:29 AM   #345
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: biotinquestion
Biotin and Type A Blood

Hello,

I have read, re-read, and re-re-read several of the threads on the board regarding biotin. Thanks to everyone who contributed to those threads - I learned a lot.

Without getting into details which would take forever, I believe that I have developed a biotin deficiency over the last few years. I have very solid reasons for this belief. I have developed seborrheic dermatitis on my scalp which I have read online over and over again is caused (though not exclusively caused) by biotin deficiency. The SD has led to some hair loss along the hairline and also diffusely on my head. FWIW, I have EXCELLENT hair genes and the hair loss was ONLY in areas where the SD was present and most acute.

I discovered a couple of years ago I was Vitamin D deficient which I corrected and that helped with hair regrowth up to a point but not beyond that point. Therefore I began taking biotin 5mg with MSM (1500ish) and a B-complex supplement about a year ago. I didn't see much if any progress with regrowth after three months, but I DEFINTELY noticed I was losing less hair in the shower when I washed my hair. THEN I realized that I had Type A blood - it was mentioned on this forum and other forums that because of this I was poorly situated to absorb B vitamins including biotin.

I read that I needed to take 5-8 GRAMS of biotin 2x daily in order to absorb a sufficient amount of biotin. However, in my eagerness to figure out why I wasn't responding to the biotin as well as I anticipated I would, I *think* I misread the 5-8 GRAMS 2x daily as 5-8 "MG" 2x daily. So about 9 months ago I upped my biotin from 5mg daily to 15 mg daily, spread out over the course of the day. That was a threefold increase in biotin dose, which seemed a "common sense" approach to me. I got a MINIMAL amount of regrowth, which on the whole wasn't noticeable.

Now, re-reading all those biotin threads again, I see that it is 5-8 GRAMS of biotin 2x daily that I am supposed to be taking.

This is around 1,000X the amount of biotin I am taking presently. That is an ENORMOUS increase. I know its a B vitamin which gets pissed out, but still, that's a HUGE HUGE difference.

I want to make sure that this is correct and that perhaps someone did not make an error a few years ago online and say 5-8 GRAMS of biotin 2x daily on their site when they MEANT to say 5-8 MILLIGRAMS of biotin 2x daily, and then subsequently others cut and pasted incorrect information to other sites.

I suspect based upon my research that the 5-8 GRAMS 2X daily is CORRECT but seek feedback. Type A blood is very common something like 30-35% of people have it I would guestimate. Biotin being the relatively popular supplement it is there must be numerous people who have confronted this issue. Perhaps the people who say "Biotin didn't work for me" after trying it for an appropriate period of time are simply people with Type A blood who may or may not be aware of the Type A blood issue, and for these people in actuality biotin WOULD work for them if only they seriously mega-dosed it along the lines of 5-8 grams 2x daily??

At any rate, I am seeing a couple of different doctors in the next few weeks to get traditional medical opinion on taking doses of biotin this high, but I am curious if anyone here has any advice or experience to share. I have come to realize the traditional medical establishment simply is in the dark about certain things and is often quite OK with being in the dark, so that is was it is.

Another question I have is that I have looked online and gone into GNC and enquired, but it seems nobody is making biotin pills anywhere near 5 grams (5,000mg). The most I can find anywhere is 10,000 mcg (10mg.) Anyone have any idea where I can find pills/tablets/capsules of biotin at much higher doses? I have found where I can buy a container of biotin POWDER which is something like 30 grams in the entire container, but I believe that is intended for lab experiments and such and not necessarily for supplementation purposes.

I thank anyone in advance for any advice or experiences which they might be able to offer.
biotinquestion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 09:09 PM   #346
Administrator

I think you may be mistaking mg with mcg. If you're taking 5000 mcg of biotin, you're taking 5 milligrams of it. Doesn't sound like a lot, but it goes a long way, especially if you combine it with other vitamins like pantothenic acid and niacin.

You may want to call your doctors office to ask them what they would recommend for you to take.