Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions > Recipe Forum Sticky Threads
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2011, 10:31 AM   #121
the condiment queen

Gallery: pooticus
Stats: 314/220.4/150
WOE: PersonalPlan
Start Date: Nov.20, 2007 (restart)
Dottie, what was the texture of the blobs?

I'm wondering for those brave souls who have tried the Utube guy's dumpling recipe, was it as rubbery in texture as the shirataki noodles? Or is it softer cuz it hasn't been gelled with the lime?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-2011, 10:33 AM   #122
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
Yes just the slurry was gummy bearish lol.
But I'm thinking if it's blended with egg and broth it might combat that.
Old 03-01-2011, 12:08 PM   #123
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jlp2009
I just checked the label on the capsules that I have. 3 capsules have 1.99 g. glucomannan. Fine print, other ingredients "gelatin, rice flour". 1 capsule measured out to 1/4 tsp. It isn't working well for me either. It might do better in hot applications but
using the wand blender again, this time in some homemade experimental LC yogurt that didn't thicken, it "fell out" of suspension and ended up a glob in the bottom of the container. Yesterday I had semi-success putting some in a drink in the blender. That's a hassle (using the blender).
Old 03-01-2011, 12:13 PM   #124
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Stats: 240/IDK/140
WOE: Currently JUDDD
Start Date: (Juddd 2010)
I just blended a teaspoon of glu with 1 cup of sf fruit punch (it's all I had to mix it with), left it in the fridge for an hour and not too bad. I can see the endless possibilities...aspics, jams, ice cream, sauces, puddings, fillings, desserts. I ate the whole thing, now I just need to wait and see how it affects my tummy.
Old 03-01-2011, 12:40 PM   #125
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlp2009 View Post
I just checked the label on the capsules that I have. 3 capsules have 1.99 g. glucomannan. Fine print, other ingredients "gelatin, rice flour". 1 capsule measured out to 1/4 tsp. It isn't working well for me either. It might do better in hot applications but
using the wand blender again, this time in some homemade experimental LC yogurt that didn't thicken, it "fell out" of suspension and ended up a glob in the bottom of the container. Yesterday I had semi-success putting some in a drink in the blender. That's a hassle (using the blender).
The other ingredients are probably the capsule.

The pudding yesterday did not turn out right? You may have to add more than 1/2t. I like mine kind of runny. It does not stick to the spoon upside down.

I use a Magic Bullet. Not sure if the whole thing would be worth the effort if I had to wash a blender all the time.
Old 03-01-2011, 09:04 PM   #126
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: maru2
Stats: 170/145/135
WOE: atkins
Start Date: 1/2007 restart 1/2010
Tonight I stirred 1 tsp of guc into 1 cup of hood milk. It appeared to dissolve nicely until I added the S F chocolate syrup to the mix. I noticed a few clumps and the chocolate looked kind of speckled but I thought the taste was good so I ate it clumps and all
Old 03-01-2011, 10:52 PM   #127
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: penguinpower
WOE: Thinking of trying NK
I've pretty much converted from blending to shaking!

I use a small tupperware shaker cup but I'm sure any container with a VERY tight-fitting lid would work.

For puddings, I like one cup liquid to one tsp glu powder. Today's flavor was Cherry Limeade (target brand). I put 1/2 tsp of the drink mix powder into the container, a cup of water, sprinkle in the glu powder, real fast put on the lid and shake shake shake very well--no lumps! I like the texture after about an hour, almost like a gel.

When I make a chocolate pudding, I use the diet Swiss Miss and mix that up in my Tupp cup with whatever liquid I'm using (almond milk, water or a combination of both), a tsp or so of chocoalte extract, a couple drops of liquid splenda, then add the glu powder and shake shake shake.

To thicken sauces, I've liked the results when I use about 1/2 tsp of glu powder with 3 or 4 cups of liquid. Cool 1 cup of whatever it is you want to thicken, shake it with 1/2 tsp of glu powder, then before it starts to thicken pour it back into the rest of your sauce. If you wait until it starts to thicken then lumps are possible and a blender might be needed.

I'm really having fun experimenting with this stuff!
Old 03-02-2011, 04:52 AM   #128
Senior LCF Member

Would the brand of capsules be making any difference in the performance? I certainly don't see why it would unless there are fillers in the powder, but I cannot get the results that everyone else seems to be getting. And I tried sprinkling it on a drink
in a bottle and shaking it like crazy....some results. The globs were on top and bottom but everything in between wasn't thick! How long are you all mixing the stuff?
Old 03-02-2011, 05:18 AM   #129
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
I have Nature's Way capsules.
Old 03-02-2011, 07:21 AM   #130
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
jlp2009, can you make your drink in a blender? That would take care of the clumping.
Old 03-02-2011, 08:37 AM   #131
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguinpower View Post
I've pretty much converted from blending to shaking!

I use a small tupperware shaker cup but I'm sure any container with a VERY tight-fitting lid would work.

For puddings, I like one cup liquid to one tsp glu powder. Today's flavor was Cherry Limeade (target brand). I put 1/2 tsp of the drink mix powder into the container, a cup of water, sprinkle in the glu powder, real fast put on the lid and shake shake shake very well--no lumps! I like the texture after about an hour, almost like a gel.

When I make a chocolate pudding, I use the diet Swiss Miss and mix that up in my Tupp cup with whatever liquid I'm using (almond milk, water or a combination of both), a tsp or so of chocoalte extract, a couple drops of liquid splenda, then add the glu powder and shake shake shake.

To thicken sauces, I've liked the results when I use about 1/2 tsp of glu powder with 3 or 4 cups of liquid. Cool 1 cup of whatever it is you want to thicken, shake it with 1/2 tsp of glu powder, then before it starts to thicken pour it back into the rest of your sauce. If you wait until it starts to thicken then lumps are possible and a blender might be needed.

I'm really having fun experimenting with this stuff!
I may have to get a shaker cup, too. Seems like good exercise!
Old 03-02-2011, 08:45 AM   #132
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blonde with a Rose View Post
I just blended a teaspoon of glu with 1 cup of sf fruit punch (it's all I had to mix it with), left it in the fridge for an hour and not too bad. I can see the endless possibilities...aspics, jams, ice cream, sauces, puddings, fillings, desserts. I ate the whole thing, now I just need to wait and see how it affects my tummy.
Just a quick note, no tummy troubles and my DD salad was great, I wasn't starving like usual and this morning I haven't eaten yet. Weird, I'm usually all about breakfast on an up day. I just made a blend of almond milk, torani syrup and swiss miss cocoa. I'll try it this afternoon when I'm looking for something sweet.
Old 03-02-2011, 10:59 AM   #133
Senior LCF Member

I made some strawberry "jam" with the glu powder yesterday. I defrosted and cut up about 3 cups of frozen strawberries and cooked them until they started to break up. I mixed 1/4 tsp of glu powder into 1/4 cup of water and added that to the berries. Removed from the heat and dripped in a couple of drops of liquid splenda--yummy! Next time I would try using some strawberry drink mix in the water just to edge the flavor level up even more.

Speaking of flavor, I have noticed that the glu powder does have the tendency to minimize taste--what I mean is, I use a powder called "joint juice" sometimes to make a pudding. When I mix one tube of the Joint Juice with just 1 cup of water it is virtually undrinkable to me because it is overpoweringly artificially sweet. However, 1 tube of Joint Juice in one cup of water, thickened with glu powder, is actually pretty good.
Old 03-02-2011, 11:40 AM   #134
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
I made some strawberry "jam" with the glu powder yesterday. I defrosted and cut up about 3 cups of frozen strawberries and cooked them until they started to break up. I mixed 1/4 tsp of glu powder into 1/4 cup of water and added that to the berries. Removed from the heat and dripped in a couple of drops of liquid splenda--yummy! Next time I would try using some strawberry drink mix in the water just to edge the flavor level up even more.

Speaking of flavor, I have noticed that the glu powder does have the tendency to minimize taste--what I mean is, I use a powder called "joint juice" sometimes to make a pudding. When I mix one tube of the Joint Juice with just 1 cup of water it is virtually undrinkable to me because it is overpoweringly artificially sweet. However, 1 tube of Joint Juice in one cup of water, thickened with glu powder, is actually pretty good.
Your jam sounds delish! Gotta try that. This stuff really is versatile. Has anyone made anything savory with it? How was it?
Old 03-02-2011, 11:43 AM   #135
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: magnamater
I thicken chicken broth. Then proceed to make either eggdrop or veggie soup.
Old 03-02-2011, 11:48 AM   #136
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnamater View Post
I thicken chicken broth. Then proceed to make either eggdrop or veggie soup.
Yum! Is the ratio 1/4 tsp per cup? or more?
Old 03-02-2011, 11:59 AM   #137
Senior LCF Member

I've made a number of savory things--all the way from Ouizoid's super low-cal stir fry dish to last night's copycat Olive Garden Chicken Scampi.

For a gravy-ish texture, I find that 1/2 tsp glu powder total for three to four cups of liquid is pretty good. How you make this is up to you--I like to cool down a cup of the liquid I'm planning to thicken, dissolve the glu powder in that, then stir it back into the main amount of sauce before the glu mixture thickens up. As you continue to heat your sauce the whole shebang will thicken up some. I do like a thinner gravy, though, so this proportion may not be right for everyone.

For Ouizoid's stir-fry recipe, I make the glu mixture a little thicker since it seems the veggies release a little more moisture into the sauce.

It really does seem to require a little experimentation to get the mouth feel right for your personal tastes--it's fun!
Old 03-02-2011, 12:09 PM   #138
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thank you Penguin~I saw that you wrote about this yesterday, sorry to make you repeat yourself.

My little pudding turned out well but needs a little more flavor...
Old 03-02-2011, 07:16 PM   #139
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlp2009 View Post
Wanda,
I think I read somewhere that 4 caps = 1 tsp. therefore each cap is 1/4 tsp.
If that is not correct, then someone plz correct me!

So far in my experiments I have found that it does need time to thicken, not right away like some of the other gums (fibers) do.

Question: Is there only 1 place to order the powder? I did a search and only came up
with 1 site that sold it. It's kind of fun to mess with and I'd like to try more recipes. I haven't really decided though if I like it any better than the other fibers.
jlp, I ordered my gluc powder from konjac foods. It only took a few days to get here. For me it seems to work best if I can mix it with sugar sub or coco before I add the liquid. I think it really helps with the texture of baked goods as well.
Old 03-02-2011, 07:24 PM   #140
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
PP--I have noticed the same thing about glu minimizing taste--You really need to brighten flavours up so they don't get dampened by the glu--but once you get it right, it is a wonderful thing, n'est pas?
Old 03-02-2011, 07:38 PM   #141
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouizoid View Post
PP--I have noticed the same thing about glu minimizing taste--You really need to brighten flavours up so they don't get dampened by the glu--but once you get it right, it is a wonderful thing, n'est pas?
I agree! I'm loving the stuff, I just wish I would notice some appetite control from it.
Old 03-02-2011, 08:19 PM   #142
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Key Tones
Stats: 312/212/??? 5/10" The real age 49
WOE: 2014 Nutritional Ketosis Experiment Begins
Start Date: LC'05,'10Paleo,'13 S.Guyenet+S.Roberts'14C.Kresser
Subscribing
Old 03-02-2011, 09:52 PM   #143
Senior LCF Member

Oh Maru, I am so sorry to hear the glu doesn't minimize your appetite! In all my years of dieting, I've never found anything that creates such a satiated feeling for me.

Yep, Ouizoid, it's a wonderful thing!

I'm doing JUDDD and it was a down day today--I've been wanting to experiment with the glu powder to make low calorie waffles. Ouizoid, I'm using your super low cal muffin as a jumping-off point. My first attempt filled me up so much that I have to do further experiments another day lol. I did get a somewhat waffle-like result but it still needs work--I'll try another version on Friday, my next DD.
Old 03-03-2011, 05:56 AM   #144
Senior LCF Member

Soobee, I can use the blender but I don't like cleaning it!

I did have some luck thickening a protein shake. I used 8 caps (2 tsp) hoping for a pudding consisitency but it is more like a thick shake. I am wondering if it's the brand
of caps that is the difference.
Old 03-03-2011, 07:52 AM   #145
Senior LCF Member

jlp--when you use the caps, do you do one at a time into your mixture, or are you emptying all your caps into a little pile and then adding the whole shebang at once? I could imagine that doing one cap at a time would cause clumping issues....just a thought.
Old 03-03-2011, 08:19 AM   #146
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good Morning!

Experiment #3~ 1 cup of black coffee, 1 cup of almond milk, 1 tbs sf vanilla syrup, 1 tbs cocoa powder and 1 rounded tsp glu powder!

45 calories, makes two 1 cup puddings! Yummuy
Old 03-03-2011, 08:33 AM   #147
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Oh Maru, I am so sorry to hear the glu doesn't minimize your appetite! In all my years of dieting, I've never found anything that creates such a satiated feeling for me.
I emptied some capsules from some supplements I no longer take and refilled them with the gluc. gonna try taking them before meals with a bottle of water. Hopefully that will help, if not it's still wonderful for it's thickening power and will be a staple in my kitchen from now on.
Old 03-03-2011, 08:38 AM   #148
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Gweebles
Stats: 26w/24w/8
WOE: JUDDD convert 2720/544
Start Date: JUDDD 3/6/12
After a few inedible tries. I came up with a decent gluco cream gravy.

These measures are approximate since I was just tossing into the pan.

2 Tbsp bacon grease
1/2 C HWC
1/2 C water
salt and pepper
1 egg.

I whipped up all this with a whisk in a medium saucepan under med heat. Once it started to steam, I gently sprinkled 1/2 t gluco powder and 1/2 t guar gum (optional) I whisked it until it was hot and bubbly.

This was bland tasting so I added 1/4 C bacon bits, I buy the bag of Hormel bits at Sams club.

The results were heavenly!! Awesome on carbquick biscuits or LC toast. In fact, my dad finished off my gravy last night on toast and didn't even realize it was LC. LOL

Last edited by Gweebles; 03-03-2011 at 09:14 AM.. Reason: can't spell lol
Old 03-03-2011, 08:40 AM   #149
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
Quote:
Originally Posted by maru2 View Post
I emptied some capsules from some supplements I no longer take and refilled them with the gluc. gonna try taking them before meals with a bottle of water. Hopefully that will help, if not it's still wonderful for it's thickening power and will be a staple in my kitchen from now on.
Oh please, please be careful doing that!
Since the gluc thickens so fast, if your capsules aren't sealed properly they could leak and you could choke.
Old 03-03-2011, 08:43 AM   #150
Senior LCF Member

Blonde--coffee pudding!!!! What a FAB idea! Gonna try that tomorrow. (No more caffeine for me today lol)