Welcome to the LCF Recipe Room!
You can edit the recipes that you enter - as well as rate and give
reviews of other recipes. Log in with your bulletin board account
in order to add/review/print recipes.
Enjoy the 4,000+ Low Carb Recipes!!!
This recipe is great because not only does it taste fabulous, the ingredients are readily available and the most work you do is whip the egg whites!
This makes a very generous sized cake. With flourless cakes made with eggs, the cake will rise like a souffle and then collapse back to a dense cake, so be sure to line with baking paper that goes at least 5cm above the rim of the cake tin!
P.S if you haven't tried xylitol you are missing out. None of that nasty chemical aftertaste!
10 eggs (8 egg whites in 1 bowl, 2 whole eggs & 8 egg yolks in another)
250g of butter (approx)
¾ cup xyltiol (sugar substitute)(approx or to taste)
¾ cup of cocoa (approx or to taste)
100g almond meal
1 tsp vanilla essence
How To Prepare:
1. Preheat oven to 180ºC degrees.
2. Grease and line a springform cake tin. I used a 20cm one and it rose quite high. (silicone bakeware is even better ).
3. In a small saucepan on a LOW heat, melt the butter. Sift the cocoa and xyiltol into it and stir until it is like a sauce/syrup. Lick the spoon :-) Seriously, this is the point where you should test the mix..if it tastes too cocoay/bitter, add some xylitol (a little bit!). It should taste like a dense chocolate sauce. Leave mixture to cool for 10-15 minutes.
4. In a (preferably metal) bowl, whip the egg whites until they are in stiff meringue-like peaks.
5. Mix the other bowl containing the yolks and whole eggs until thick, pale and foamy.
6. Take the saucepan of chocolate "sauce" and mix gently into the yolk bowl mixture. Add almond meal.
7. Fold the whipped egg whites into the chocolate yolk mixture and pour into the cake tin.
8. Bake for approximately an hour. My fan forced oven takes an hour and a conventional oven may take longer.
9. Let the cake cool and don't worry its meant to collapse! When it is fully cooled, remove from the cake tin and peel off the baking paper to reveal the cake.
-Muffins in a muffin tin
-2 tsp of Orange essence added to make a jaffa cake (not yet tried)
-Half the recipe and put in 2 tins, cream in the middle for a torte
- extra walnuts in the mixture in a slice pan for brownies
Number of Servings:
depends on serving size - but I get about 20
Carbs per serving - include all nutritional information if known: