Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2014, 04:24 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tinamanni
Stats: 250/192/150
WOE: 80% fat
Pregnancy and Ketosis

I know there are a million posts about being pregnant and in ketosis. In fact, my midwife said she had no concerns about it. I had fully intended on staying in ketosis while pregnant.

But, now that I am 4.5 weeks pregnant, my worrying has started.

I know that Dr. Atkins recommends the maintenance levels for low carb which would def keep me out of ketosis.

What are your thoughts and/or experiences?
tinamanni is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-2014, 05:07 AM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Mimosa23
Stats: 227.2/185.5/160
WOE: Keto
I just wanted to congratulate you!!!!

I have no idea, but I personally think the body prefers a state of ketosis for functioning. I would think that would be fine in pregnancy also.

I hope you get some answers from people who have experienced pregnancy in ketosis! I seem to recall Suzanneyea may have been in ketosis during her pregnancy, maybe send her a PM?

xxx Chloe.
Mimosa23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 05:13 AM   #3
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
I'm not quite sure I understand why you're 'worrying.' If you've been assured that it's OK to be in ketosis, why are you concerned? Are you not feeling well?

As to your comment about Dr. Atkins, I'm not understanding that either. Admittedly, I've only read his first book, but I'm not aware of any place where he suggested a specific 'maintenance level' for low carb. His initial advice was for those at goal to find their individual 'critical carb level' (CCL). He believed (as do most low-carb experts these days) is that individuals function best at various level of carbs. Mine is quite low, and I've been happily eating <20g carbs for years.

In fact, my sister, who is not a low carber, developed gestational diabetes during her pregnancy, and her OB put her on a very low-carb diet--which controlled her blood sugar without any need for meds (his goal for her).
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 05:19 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tinamanni
Stats: 250/192/150
WOE: 80% fat
Thanks Mimosa!

Leo: Sorry, not sure what the confusion is. Atkins has several phases: Induction, OWL, pre-maintenance and maintenance.

In his book he recommends maintenance as the only level appropriate for pregnancy which would keep me fairly low carb but not in ketosis. Edited to add that while it is level based, his estimated numbers for maintenance is 40-120 net carbs (Dr.Atkins New Diet Revolution 2002). Currently I stay under 20 full carbs and get kicked out of ketosis at 30.

There is much debate about whether or not ketones are good for fetal development. This is where my fear is.

Last edited by tinamanni; 03-26-2014 at 05:27 AM..
tinamanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 06:02 AM   #5
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
As I mentioned, I've only read Atkins '72--and he does NOT give 'maintenance' levels of carbs. In fact, exactly the opposite (as (I tried to explain). He says that everyone has to find his/her own maintenance level.

Since I'm unfamiliar with the 2002 Atkins, I did not know that it's suggested that 40g of carbs are a 'minimum' for pregnancy, but I'm sure that others will chime in on this because I've read many posts from women who remained in ketosis throughout pregnancy.

Personally, I don't think you should worry at this time. If it would set your mind at ease, why not go up to 40g? There's no 'magic' to ketosis in terms of weight loss. IMO, during pregnancy your peace of mind is much more important than being in ketosis.
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 08:49 AM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: meli
I'm pregnant, too

First of all, congratulations to you. I just found out yesterday. I'm still totally reeling, and still a bit in denial, but I have to face reality at some point.

I've been in ketosis since January, and I don't even have anything in the house that could kick me out. I am afraid of getting crappy "whole grain" based nutritional advice from the doctors within my health system. Not even sure about what the process is at this point. I just happen to have a pap smear scheduled for two days from now, so I guess they'll test me then? No idea.

Anyway, we're in this together, so if you find anything useful out, please share!
meli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 02:09 PM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: right4keto
Stats: SW 183/CW 158 & Pregnant/GW 135
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: January 2014
I'll be continuing my keto diet while pregnant too so at least your not alone! If you haven't already check out the Baby Talk- part 3 thread. I've already posted asking for first hand experience about maintaining <20g carbs while pregnant.
right4keto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 02:58 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MsKitty
FWIW, when I was pregnant, I could not keep anything down except meat. Even pasta, bread, dairy and cream (all favorites) sauces made me nauseous. We're talking: for over 9 months. So I ate meat. Steak. Lots of steak, hard salamis and almonds (only because they went down the easiest). I drank water pretty exclusively. Gatorade and the like made me swell, so I avoided them.
I naturally rejected caffeine (a hard-core coffee drinker back then) as it absolutely repulsed me.
I know I'm biased, but my child had the highest APGAR possible and is a pretty smart and healthy little (nearly) 7 year old!
I had severe ankle swelling, and was tested for gestational diabetes several times - and never did suffer from either pre-eclampsia or gestational diabetes. I did not have a happy pregnancy (not to scare you) or a happy child birth, but I survived - and so did my baby. I had additional health issues after, but they were not related to my WOE throughout pregnancy.
So this was an "accidental" WOE through pregnancy that just worked out great! Since then, I've found I'm not as tolerant of carbs as I once was... so here I am now after getting over my many illnesses since giving birth nearly 7 years ago. It was after pregnancy/birth that I gained back all my weight + ! I cannot imagine losing via the reduced calorie/low fat method I used before. I know I wouldn't manage it since my body has changed.
Hope this helps in some way.
MsKitty is offline   Reply With Quote