Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Women's Health
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2014, 08:48 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Ronnie51
Do you feel queasy before a hot flash?

I'm seven years post menopausal, yet I still get hot flashes. I always know when one is coming because I feel queasy first, and then there's the hot flash. After seven years of this, I'm wondering if I'm different or if many women experience this. For the menopausal and post menopausal women, do you feel a hot flash coming on with a queasy....or some other....feeling? Fortunately, the queasiness only lasts a few seconds.
Ronnie51 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-2014, 11:58 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RoxyRoller
Stats: 315/259.8/200 next weigh 9/1/14
WOE: Calorie controlled, average 75 carbs per day
Start Date: December 30, 2013
Hot flashes....nature's furnace. Before I hot flash I sometimes feel nauseous, anxious, get heart palps, and feel like I'm vibrating inside (the only way I can describe it is it feels like I swallowed a vibrating cell phone); then the hot flash hits...and lasts anywhere from a few minutes to over 30 minutes (I'm perimenopausal according to my MD as I have not made it 12 consecutive months w/o a TOM).
RoxyRoller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 12:32 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Tish437
No, but what I get is, as Roxy says, anxious. Very anxious. Like really agitated, everything wrong with my life is getting me in those few minutes, and I know a hot flash is coming. Next time I'll see if queasy is part of it, just overshadowed. I don't get too many of them.
Tish437 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 01:00 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

You know, now that you mention it, I get very anxious as well. Tish, I do like the way you worded it, that "everything wrong with my life is getting me in those few minutes"...I can very much relate to that. I do get the heart palpitations which have become so second nature after so many years, I barely notice them anymore. But it's not a good feeling, and the only good thing I can say about it is that the pre-hot flash feeling does not last long. I don't think I ever had a hot flash that lasted 30 minutes...sorry you're experiencing that, Roxy.
Old 02-26-2014, 01:04 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: makrida
Stats: 142/132/125
WOE: low carb
Start Date: 4th Jan 2011
no, I don't get queasy or anxious, but they start at the top of my head and travel through my body in a wave...once they get through my feet I know they will be gone..it usually just takes about 2 - 4 minutes
makrida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 01:05 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Ronnie - I think that's what the "mood swings" is all about - those few minutes before the hot flash hits. They're miserable.
Old 02-26-2014, 01:06 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Sometimes it's a relief to get the hot flash!
Old 02-28-2014, 10:39 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie51 View Post
I don't think I ever had a hot flash that lasted 30 minutes...sorry you're experiencing that, Roxy.
It's bananas! The past 5 months have been a roller coaster, my FSH is above 50 so I finally have proof that I'm not going crazy! I think my anxiety lengthens the torture of my hot flashes, the flash itself is probably over in 10 or 15 minutes, but I'm so agitated/anxious/adrenaline overloaded I don't start to feel better until 30 minutes have passed....AND THEN....I freeze for a bit until my internal thermostat resets. I've gone as much as 2 weeks without a flash, feel great, good mood, and all of a sudden a black cloud of irritability covers me like a blanket...nothing is right but I can't figure out what's really wrong...stupid things will bother me, and after a few days (hopefully just a few days), it passes.

At times, this whole peri/menopause stage makes me feel like I'm trying to find something I've lost...or trying to catch up....with what - I don't know. I think a lot about the time I've got left. I wish I could just breeze through it like some women do!
Vada Sultenfuss..."Once I sat on a toilet seat at a truck stop and caught hemorrhoids, and I've learned to live with this chicken bone that's been lodged in my throat for the past three years." My Girl 1991

"'Cause we're a loving couple...spanning time."
Billy Brown and Layla, Buffalo 66 (1998)
Old 02-28-2014, 01:22 PM   #9
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: jeaniem
Stats: 166/138.6/?
WOE: lc
I don't get queasy but I get a anxious nervous feeling in my stomach, like the butterflies in the stomach feeling.
jeaniem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 01:02 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MerryKate
Stats: 252/196.5/150
WOE: Nutritional ketosis
Start Date: April 2011
Anxiety and nausea are both standard accompaniments with hot flashes, along with a feeling of dread. I started taking black cohosh about 3 months back and haven't had a hot flash since. Give it a try.
MerryKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 07:04 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

I remember reading about black cohosh but I never tried it, thanks for reminding me, MerryKate.

Another feeling I've experienced since menopause is feeling uncomfortable in my own skin. I was never so aware of my body as I've been since menopause. What I don't think I'll ever get used to are the daily physical changes. Sometimes I'll be looking at myself in the mirror and I'll see something new on my skin that seemed to have popped up overnight. It's unnerving.

Roxy, the new school of thought is that low dose hormone replacement therapy taken for a short time to get you "over the hump" of going through menopause is actually safe, unless you are at high risk for female cancers. It sounds like you would benefit greatly from the therapy as you're getting hit with the works. I took hormone replacement for about five years before the nurse's study came out when everybody panicked and women stopped their therapy abruptly. But just like most everything else in medicine, the pendulum is starting to swing the other way.

I find it interesting that the drug companies are now pushing testosterone therapy on men. It was my understanding that, like women, men's hormone levels naturally decline as they age but, unlike women where there's a sudden drop, it's more gradual in men (lucky guys!). The list of dangerous side effects from "T" therapy is substantial, and now there's a new study that says men who've been treated with "T" therapy have experienced more heart and stroke events. So, they can't sell to women anymore so now they're working on the men?
Old 03-04-2014, 03:27 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Roxy, the new school of thought is that low dose hormone replacement therapy taken for a short time to get you "over the hump" of going through menopause is actually safe, unless you are at high risk for female cancers. It sounds like you would benefit greatly from the therapy as you're getting hit with the works.
Hi! I wish I tolerated HRT, I didn't even tolerate birth control pills back in the day (thank goodness for copper bearing IUD's way back when! ) I did try a course of Premarin and progesterone last year (my MD stated as you have, that a short course wouldn't be cause for concern - I don't have high risk for female cancers, but I have horrendous family history cardiovascular-wise). Anyway, I was in full blown EVIL PMS mode 24/7, so, we stopped.

We discussed black cohosh at my MD appt. yesterday - he did not recommend it due to my fibroids (which are very slowly shrinking now that everything is shriveling up).

But! All is not lost! He gave me an Rx for clonidine (very low dose) which is a blood pressure med (aka Catapres) but has been being used off spec as a treatment for hot flashes. So....we'll see how it goes.

Oh this is such a wonderful time, isn't it ladies??
Old 03-07-2014, 06:07 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

I hope the clonidine works for you, Roxy. I hadn't heard of that.
Old 03-07-2014, 11:10 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I hope the clonidine works for you, Roxy. I hadn't heard of that.
Neither did I...but, I picked up the Rx (and still haven't taken any because I'm so apprehensive when it comes to medication, I have to research it six ways from Sunday before I start anything new...)

As it turns out, I did find quite a bit of material regarding clonidine for hot flashes, palpitations, anxiety,....even ADHD(!). Seems it works well for some, and not so much for others. I won't know until I take it!

"Here comes your nineteenth nervous breakdown...."
19th Nervous Breakdown, The Rolling Stones
Old 03-07-2014, 01:18 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

You know, I thought the name sounded familiar. It turns out my doctor had me on a clonidine patch years ago for high blood pressure. It didn't work well for me, and I can't remember if it did anything for my hot flashes. I would've been more attentive to that had he told me it could help in that area. What I seem to remember about clonidine was that you shouldn't stop taking it cold turkey; if you decide you no longer want to take it, I believe you need to wean yourself off.

I know what you mean about researching drugs....I do that too. My doctor has prescribed a few meds that I just refused to take (he loves me )

If you take it, please post if it helps.

Last edited by Ronnie51; 03-07-2014 at 01:19 PM.. Reason: Added punctuation
Old 03-07-2014, 01:36 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

I definitely will post my experience with clonidine (if I get the nerve to ever take one!)

Of note - the dosage prescribed is 0.1 mg to be taken once daily as needed for heart palpitations/hot flashes up to 2 doses in 24 hours.

I did find a lot regarding as needed dosing as well as warnings that abruptly discontinuing is not recommended. Apparently it's prescribed for anxiety as well as a myriad of other off spec items.

So, we'll see....