Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2014, 01:26 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MerryKate
WOE: Nutritional ketosis
Start Date: LC: 04/11 • NK 10/12
LC and Menopause

I have a question for the ladies who have already gone through menopause: does eating a low-carb diet help? The conventional wisdom advocates a high-carb, low-fat diet full of fruit and vegetables, but I know from past experience that for my body that's a recipe for weight gain. Is the weight gain of menopause inevitable? Has anyone lost weight after menopause, or avoided gaining, by following a low-carb diet?
MerryKate is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-2014, 01:32 AM   #2
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
I lost all my weight after menopause via low-carb eating, and I was also hypothyroid. So it CAN be done, since I lost close to 200 lbs after a lifetime of morbid obesity.

During menopause, I found that I did best when eating low carb, and I noticed because I wasn't consistent at that time.

The only 'hot flashes' I ever experienced were from eating sugar (desserts), and once I eliminated sugar, I had no negative symptoms in menopause.

Everyone experiences menopause differently, but the symptoms are mainly from hormonal shifts, and I think low-carb is the best WOE during this time as starches and sugars tend to increase hormonal problems.
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 05:48 AM   #3

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
I don't think it probably makes terribly much difference, unfortunately. of COURSE you should ignore the high carb/low fat thing, but you know, these hormones are probably not really that much influenced by the insulin metabolism and all...

no question that being fat makes the hot flash thing worse in many cases. good time to put your nose to the grindstone and eat right!

it definitely becomes easier to gain and harder to lose with age, but of course it isn't inevitable. look around at all the thin older women! some people manage it.

good luck.
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 02:40 PM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/114/115-120
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance. Ketogenic PHD.
Start Date: 11 Dec. 2011 Restart 1 Jan 2013
I'm another one who lost her weight during and after menopause.

The hormone changes do make it more difficult to build LBM (drop in testosterone as well as everything else). Where it's practical and not contraindicated by health/musculo-skeletal or other issues, exercise can help to mitigate the increased CV risk that women acquire when they lose the protective effects of oestrogen.

The research in the area is mixed (reflects the uneven quality of the studies as well as the many variables) but my experience chimes with Leo41's that it feels as if low carb benefits some of the more inconvenient side-effects.
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 04:21 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Ronnie51
I weigh less now after menopause than I did when I was younger and I feel it is do to low carb eating. I have not completely eliminated carbs as I eat this way for heart & brain health, not for weight. I've exercised my entire life and continue to do so (although not everyday or high impact anymore), and I've found that that has helped me keep the younger silhouette of flat abs (which I mainly attribute to resistance training). I've seen other women my age who are not really fat, but they do have protruding bellies and wider middle areas, which I've managed to avoid (so far). If you saw how many nuts I eat on a daily basis, you'd be shocked that I'm not fat, but I just don't get fat, which I feel is another benefit of lower carb eating and exercise. Unfortunately, this WOE has not helped as far as hot flashes....I still get them after having gone through menopause 7 years ago. And it hasn't helped as far as my hair getting a lot thinner. I am hypothyroid (on 50mcg Synthroid) and would like to blame the thinning hair on that, but I think it is due to being post menopausal. So, in a nutshell, it is not inevitable that you will gain weight after menopause, however, you must eat healthy and you really need to exercise...with weights...to keep your body weight from shifting to your middle area.
Ronnie51 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 12:24 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MerryKate
WOE: Nutritional ketosis
Start Date: LC: 04/11 • NK 10/12
Thanks for the responses, ladies. It is encouraging to know I'm not doomed to fail at losing weight. I used to do weight training and I started again on Tuesday - I know it's really effective at building lean muscle mass, which helped me to no end in the past. Sadly, my weight shifted to my middle in my late 20s and I've never been able to lose it. :/ Hope this go-around with LC and weight training makes the difference.
MerryKate is offline   Reply With Quote