Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Women's Health
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2013, 02:29 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: luckymuma
Stats: 96kg ( 211) start weight GOAL weight 74kg(163)
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: 01 Aug 2013
Water retention cyclically?

Before lowcarb I was a lot fatter...I have lost a good portion of that excess...still got some to go. From what I've read oestrogen likes to live in fat...lots of oestrogen...and when you lose fat, the oestrogen is released to play havoc on your body......
I've been low carbing now for four months solidly, and have had some of the worst cycles in my life....and I have had bad cycles...I have PCOS like stuff. I've managed to get the mood swings under control using magnesium and tissue or cell salts ( similar but different to homeopathics). But the fluid retention....OMG it is HUGE! I bloat up massively around ovulation and my bleed, like my bra gets stupidly uncomfortably tight, my clothes get tight, everything from my thighs to my neck gets bloated and puffy and fatter looking, my whole shape changes. A few days after I wee lots, and all the fluid goes away and I get back to the new me shape again.
Not that it really matters, but I am now only able to weigh myself in the first week after my bleed and the first week after ovulation....any other time, I am putting on water weight.

My diet is almost exactly the same on any given day....carbs never above 15, some days as low as 8, no grains, minimal plant stuff.....

I'm taking magnesium in chelated form so it is digestively tolerated, taking 2 or three a day...I eat raw cabbage in small amounts about four times a week as apparently brassicas help bind and remove free oestrogen, and have just started taking zinc.

I don't know what else to do to lessen the water retention? I'm talking a five and a half pound gain of pure water around those times, not just a bit of bloating....and it vanishes just after the bleed or ovulation. Does this happen to anyone else? Is there anything I should or could be doing to lessen it? I don't want to have two weeks every month where I feel fat, bloated and very uncomfortable
luckymuma is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-2013, 10:53 AM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: pocahontas
Unfortunately the water retention at that time is totally normal and happens regardless of your diet. I gain anywhere from 5-7lbs each and every cycle. I avoid the scale and only weigh once a week to avoid discouragement.
pocahontas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 10:59 AM   #3

Gallery: Karerose
Start Date: late 2003
I've had that for years and it had nothing to do with low carb for me. Just my body changing as I got older. Not so bad around ovulation, but a little. Pre period I'm always tempted to take a needle and try popping my boobs. I feel like i'm carrying around two giant watermelons that could break at any minute.

Now that I'm even older things are going even more flukey. Not necessarily carrying around watermelons, but they are more painful and for a longer amount of time.

At this point I'm think finally going through menopause will put a stop to that. I'm too freaking old to have to keep dealing with this!
Karerose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 04:11 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Thing is though, before low carb I didn't ever have any problems with fluid retention, nothing at all, would just go about my life. I had ovulation agony, and crampy periods, but since my 20s when PCOS was at it's worst, and pre kids, my periods have pretty much been non events. Since losing weight with low carb this time around, it's awful...and I'm nowhere near menopause either :/ well obviously closer than I was in my 20's but not yet 40, and my mum was late going through the change.
Old 12-02-2013, 05:42 PM   #5

Gallery: Karerose
Start Date: late 2003
I said I was like that for years, but I wasn't always like that. I can't remember exactly when it started. I always had horrible cramps, but didn't have that awful bloat or if i did it was only maybe a few hours before things actually started. I had no issues at all around ovulation - had no idea it was happening. I better be close to menopause because I'm in my mid fifties, so even if that bloat didn't start until my 40s it has still been years.
Karerose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 07:05 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

maybe I am just 'getting old' then