Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Women's Health
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2013, 10:59 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Lookingtolose40#
Newbie Seeking Breastfeeding and LC info please!

I am a mother of 2 and I am currently breastfeeding my 14 month old son. He was EBF (exclusively breastfed meaning I never had to supplement with formula) for the first 8 months of his life until we began blw (baby led weaning) at 8 months, and now at 14 months eats 3 meals a day plus water in a sippy cup as well as whole cows milk in a sippy cup. He still nurses a ton! He doesn't drink a whole cup of cows milk when I give it to him maybe 1-2oz a day and that is being generous with my estimate. He nurses so much that I still haven't gotten my period back yet (sorry if tmi) With my older son he was 7-8 months old when my period returned when I was breastfeeding him. So while my son is eating 3 meals of table food a day he is still consuming a lot of breast milk.

I have PCOS and my weight has gone up and down over the years. I had lost about 40# when I started taking Metformin to help with my PCOS issues 5 years ago. I got down to my all time adult low of 137#. Amazingly after many failed fertility treatments I got pregnant naturally, twice! My oldest son is 4 and was born 9/2009 and my youngest is 14 months 7/2012. With the 2 pregnancies I am now back up to 177. I have started Metformin again but I am not having the same luck with weight loss. I feel that because of my PCOS low carb would be a great option for me. I am concerned though about low carb eating while breastfeeding so I am hoping others will have some info. My questions are...

1) Will the ketones that are released into my breast milk be harmful to my son?

2) Will the toxins that are released during ketosis/rapid weight loss be harmful to my son?

3) Are there any others who have successfully low carbed while nursing who could share their story?

4) Is there anything else I should be concerned about with łc while nursing?

I do not plan on taking Metformin while on a low carb diet it seems counterintuitive. Also I am not worried about my supply because I have had an abundant supply this time around and breastfeeding is not his sole source or even primary source of nourishment anymore now that he is eating 3 meals a day + snacks. If I did feel the diet was affecting my supply and it was an issue then I would make changes. I am really looking more for info on the safety of low carb dieting while nursing. Would it be harmful to my son as far as what is excreted in my milk? Please share any experiences, info, or documentation that you have on this topic. I greatly appreciate your input!
Lookingtolose40# is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-2013, 11:10 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: greengeeny
Stats: 226/167.2/135
WOE: Eating less than 20 carbs a day
Start Date: September 13, 2013
I breastfed my oldest son for 18 months, and my youngest for 11 months. Unfortunately, I did not breastfeed while doing low carb. BUT...I do know that women who are vegetarians breastfeed. They believe they are making the best choices for their body. And, they are not fearful that their children are not getting meat through nursing. I think if you KNOW you are making a healthy decision for yourself, then you are making a healthy decision for your baby as well. My oldest son is soon to be 18 and my youngest is 11 years old. I cook in this house low carb. They eat the same as I do. I am not fearful if they are in ketosis or not. I don't even focus on that part for them. I do believe that it is healthier to limit wheat, rice, bread, etc. I do give them fruit and even sugary snacks occasionally, but I limit it a lot for them. If you believe you are making the best choices for your body, you should feel confident that you are making the best choices for your baby as well.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...eightress.html

greengeeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 11:11 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: erinmarie
Stats: 137/118/ 110
WOE: Modified Atkins/ vlc/frankenfood free
Start Date: last start 8/11, restart 7/28/13
I breast fed my daughter for 30 months. She was ebf as well. I lowcarbed and lost a lot when she was 9 months old. I was told how dangerous etc it would be . In my opinion it's hogwash. I lost very rapidly due to breast feeding however. My supply was fine, my daughter was fine. I. Fact she is healthy as can be at almost five and very rarely even gets a cold. I'm not a doctor but my experience was good...
erinmarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 07:15 AM   #4
I'm not fat, I'm fluffy

Gallery: QueenBacon
Stats: 230/166/130
WOE: paleo eating
Start Date: Low carb living a few yrs now.. Restart Nov 2010
I'm going to say no, not at all... I dont think its harmful.
My hats off to you women able to breast feed for so long!!! What an insperation you are!

I always mentally go back to areas like upper Canada and alaska. These places during harsh winter months people live on mainly meat and fat. They don't feed the kids formula (how the heck would they get it there?) I'm sure those women are almost always in ketosis.
QueenBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 01:12 PM   #5
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: suzanneyea
Stats: 156/124/120
WOE: Vlc
I was low carb when pregnant , but went vlc once James was born. I have been vlc and nursing for 18 months now. No issues.
suzanneyea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 08:57 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lowcarbella
Stats: 241(pregnancy highest)/175/150(or 20-25%BF)
WOE: LCHF/NK my way
Start Date: Feb 2012
I nursed my last one for 14 months,lowcarbed and no issues.in fact I felt healthier and recovered well from a difficult pregnancy.
my aches,pains and swelling and bloated tummy issues were gone.when I added more fat,my supply actually increased.
lowcarbella is offline   Reply With Quote