Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home


Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Women's Health
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2013, 03:34 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member
 
doobiephillips's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 52
Gallery: doobiephillips
Stats: 240/210/170
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: July, 2 2013
missed period??

Has anyone on the Atkins diet had a missed period or had any irregular menstrual side effects?
doobiephillips is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-2013, 03:53 PM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!
 
pocahontas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: living the SLO life
Posts: 15,779
Gallery: pocahontas
Quote:
Originally Posted by doobiephillips View Post
Has anyone on the Atkins diet had a missed period or had any irregular menstrual side effects?
Its rather common for a diet change to have an effect your cycle. That said, I would still test just to make sure!
pocahontas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 04:00 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!
 
mayleesa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 1,328
Gallery: mayleesa
Stats: (5'5") 209/178.4/140lb
WOE: low carb
Start Date: 12/26/2013
not only is wacky when i'm in ketosis, but even on a pill that makes me NOT HAVE MY PERIOD for other reasons, I GET IT even through 3 different pill changes....it starts with break through bleeding/spotting then for 2 days or so it's full fledged and then stops....comes back a week later but only when I do low carb, no other diet.....my dr thinks its because the ketosis? or the fat i'm burning is releasing extra estrogen and other horomones that send my cycles spinning....he's very supportive and if it doesn't bother me and there is nothing physically wrong he enjoys watching the lbs drop!
mayleesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 04:02 PM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!
 
Ntombi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Boston, then OH, then NYC, now SoCal. Whew!
Posts: 37,956
Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/294/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
It's not ketosis or low carb eating, it's losing weight. It's well known that fat cells store hormones, so as you lose weight, they are released back into the bloodstream. That can affect your period for sure.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 04:05 PM   #5
Junior LCF Member
 
doobiephillips's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 52
Gallery: doobiephillips
Stats: 240/210/170
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: July, 2 2013
My husband is (fixed) so if I were pregnant it would be a big shocker But I am over 2 weeks late now, and I have had trouble finding information on this online. I guess a test wouldn't hurt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pocahontas View Post
Its rather common for a diet change to have an effect your cycle. That said, I would still test just to make sure!
doobiephillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 04:06 PM   #6
Junior LCF Member
 
doobiephillips's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 52
Gallery: doobiephillips
Stats: 240/210/170
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: July, 2 2013
Missing or a late period would be a side effect of extra estrogen?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntombi View Post
It's not ketosis or low carb eating, it's losing weight. It's well known that fat cells store hormones, so as you lose weight, they are released back into the bloodstream. That can affect your period for sure.
doobiephillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 04:07 PM   #7
Junior LCF Member
 
doobiephillips's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 52
Gallery: doobiephillips
Stats: 240/210/170
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: July, 2 2013
Thanks for sharing. I have been freaking out. I did this diet a few years back and did not have this problem, but now that I think about it I was on the Depo shot and did not have a period anyways.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayleesa View Post
not only is wacky when i'm in ketosis, but even on a pill that makes me NOT HAVE MY PERIOD for other reasons, I GET IT even through 3 different pill changes....it starts with break through bleeding/spotting then for 2 days or so it's full fledged and then stops....comes back a week later but only when I do low carb, no other diet.....my dr thinks its because the ketosis? or the fat i'm burning is releasing extra estrogen and other horomones that send my cycles spinning....he's very supportive and if it doesn't bother me and there is nothing physically wrong he enjoys watching the lbs drop!
doobiephillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 04:17 PM   #8
Blabbermouth!!!
 
Ntombi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Boston, then OH, then NYC, now SoCal. Whew!
Posts: 37,956
Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/294/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
Quote:
Originally Posted by doobiephillips View Post
Missing or a late period would be a side effect of extra estrogen?
It could be, yes, just like spotting or an early one. It's not easy to predict, because it's not only one way.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 04:24 PM   #9
Blabbermouth!!!
 
verbqueen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 5,100
Gallery: verbqueen
Stats: 224/163
WOE: LC/HF, for now
This always happened to me when in deep ketosis (back when periods were still an issue.) I even asked my gyno about it once, and she pointed out that a ketogenic diet is what she recommends for people with PCOS, to help them have periods again. So yes--it is extremely common for a ketogenic diet and weight loss to cause menstrual irregularities. Still not a bad idea to give your doc a call, though.
verbqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 10:01 AM   #10
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Seattle
Posts: 9
Gallery: confusedtruffle
Stats: 165/TBA/125
WOE: VLC, Keto
Start Date: July 2012
On NK (keto), I completely lost my period. I got it back 3 weeks before going to a low fat high carb diet

It really worried me for awhile during NK, but honestly I liked the break from having to deal with cramping, bloating, and buying tampons!!

Doctor told me to do a seed cycling diet to generate more hormonal function, but I don't think they understood the NK lifestyle is all about generating hormonal functioning through high fat. Anyway, I'll let you know if the period drops again. Been in NK for a week now.
confusedtruffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:05 PM.


Copyright ©1999-2014 Friends Forums LLC. All rights reserved. - Terms of Service | Privacy Policy
LowCarbFriends is a registered mark of Friends Forums, LLC.