Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Women's Health (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/womens-health/)
-   -   missed period?? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/womens-health/810153-missed-period.html)

doobiephillips 08-15-2013 03:34 PM

missed period??

Has anyone on the Atkins diet had a missed period or had any irregular menstrual side effects?

pocahontas 08-15-2013 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doobiephillips (Post 16560826)
Has anyone on the Atkins diet had a missed period or had any irregular menstrual side effects?

Its rather common for a diet change to have an effect your cycle. That said, I would still test just to make sure!

mayleesa 08-15-2013 04:00 PM

not only is wacky when i'm in ketosis, but even on a pill that makes me NOT HAVE MY PERIOD for other reasons, I GET IT even through 3 different pill changes....it starts with break through bleeding/spotting then for 2 days or so it's full fledged and then stops....comes back a week later but only when I do low carb, no other diet.....my dr thinks its because the ketosis? or the fat i'm burning is releasing extra estrogen and other horomones that send my cycles spinning....he's very supportive and if it doesn't bother me and there is nothing physically wrong he enjoys watching the lbs drop!

Ntombi 08-15-2013 04:02 PM

It's not ketosis or low carb eating, it's losing weight. It's well known that fat cells store hormones, so as you lose weight, they are released back into the bloodstream. That can affect your period for sure.

doobiephillips 08-15-2013 04:05 PM

My husband is (fixed) so if I were pregnant it would be a big shocker :lol: But I am over 2 weeks late now, and I have had trouble finding information on this online. I guess a test wouldn't hurt.
Quote:

Originally Posted by pocahontas (Post 16560850)
Its rather common for a diet change to have an effect your cycle. That said, I would still test just to make sure!

doobiephillips 08-15-2013 04:06 PM

Missing or a late period would be a side effect of extra estrogen?
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ntombi (Post 16560861)
It's not ketosis or low carb eating, it's losing weight. It's well known that fat cells store hormones, so as you lose weight, they are released back into the bloodstream. That can affect your period for sure.

doobiephillips 08-15-2013 04:07 PM

Thanks for sharing. I have been freaking out. I did this diet a few years back and did not have this problem, but now that I think about it I was on the Depo shot and did not have a period anyways. :)
Quote:

Originally Posted by mayleesa (Post 16560858)
not only is wacky when i'm in ketosis, but even on a pill that makes me NOT HAVE MY PERIOD for other reasons, I GET IT even through 3 different pill changes....it starts with break through bleeding/spotting then for 2 days or so it's full fledged and then stops....comes back a week later but only when I do low carb, no other diet.....my dr thinks its because the ketosis? or the fat i'm burning is releasing extra estrogen and other horomones that send my cycles spinning....he's very supportive and if it doesn't bother me and there is nothing physically wrong he enjoys watching the lbs drop!

Ntombi 08-15-2013 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doobiephillips (Post 16560868)
Missing or a late period would be a side effect of extra estrogen?

It could be, yes, just like spotting or an early one. It's not easy to predict, because it's not only one way.

verbqueen 08-15-2013 04:24 PM

This always happened to me when in deep ketosis (back when periods were still an issue.) I even asked my gyno about it once, and she pointed out that a ketogenic diet is what she recommends for people with PCOS, to help them have periods again. So yes--it is extremely common for a ketogenic diet and weight loss to cause menstrual irregularities. Still not a bad idea to give your doc a call, though.

confusedtruffle 09-03-2013 10:01 AM

On NK (keto), I completely lost my period. I got it back 3 weeks before going to a low fat high carb diet :stars:

It really worried me for awhile during NK, but honestly I liked the break from having to deal with cramping, bloating, and buying tampons!! :laugh:

Doctor told me to do a seed cycling diet to generate more hormonal function, but I don't think they understood the NK lifestyle is all about generating hormonal functioning through high fat. Anyway, I'll let you know if the period drops again. Been in NK for a week now.