LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2013, 02:05 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: tntne3
Stats: 164/150/132
WOE: lc paleo
Start Date: 1996
Metformin affecting cycle, anyone?

Hi Everyone, I'm looking for some advice...
My son was put on the Modified Adkins Diet for Seizures thru Childrens Hosp last Feb and it's worked great! He is off his meds and almost seizure free.
I decided to do the diet with him to support him. I had been low carb paleo for years and holding my weight pretty steady (some gain of 7 lbs over 3.5 years).
The MAD diet for seizures resembles NK in this forum. Anyway, I gained 10 lbs in one month last Feb by tweaking my diet from lc paleo to (a diet similar to) NK. After gaining the 10#, I went back to lc paleo and have been taking betaine hcl, digestive enzymes, and probiotics, and exercising 6x/wk, w/ no weight loss. I am unable to get into ketosis no matter how low I go w/ carbs (<15g/day).
I went to the dr to see if I was insulin resistant. Apparently my DH called her before my appt to tell her he thought I had an eating disorder. So she told me I have an eating disorder (I disagree) and referred me to a psych for eating disorders and a nutritionist, no blood test or discussion or anything. My appts are a ways out so I have seen neither yet. Well, some of you will strongly disagree w/ my next action, but I ordered metformin from india and took it for 1.5 months, working up to 2000mg/day. I didn't lose an ounce. Then DH found the pills and went ballistic, so I stopped taking the pills, since they weren't doing anything anyway, and I ate a "normal" moderate carb diet of whole foods, around 1200 calories/day for a couple weeks and gained an additional 7 lbs. Since February, I've gone from 146 to 163, and my waist has increased from 28" to 34". The weight is primarily visceral fat, all on my belly. Now I'm back to lc paleo and weight gain has stalled.
But...(TMI alert), I have stopped bleeding (I have bled every day for the last 3-4 years, sometimes light, sometimes heavy). I think it was the metformin, triggering me to ovulate normally. I know there must be some women on this forum who have PSOS or hormone issues and use metformin and know a lot about this. What is going on? I don't think I have PSOS, but possibly anovulation, where the endometrial lining just thickens up, and there is no ovulation, so it sheds constantly.
What should my next step be? I don't want to do nothing and continue to get fatter, and honestly, I can't lose even an ounce, no matter how I eat, I only gain. I will see the psych and the nutritionist in a few weeks. Sorry this is so long.
tntne3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-2013, 04:06 AM   #2
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
If I were having issues with my cycle, I'd see my GYN.
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 04:19 AM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: tntne3
Stats: 164/150/132
WOE: lc paleo
Start Date: 1996
Sorry to have been unclear, but I ordered the metformin to see if I was insulin resistant, leading to my inability to lose weight or even get into ketosis. And I didn't know I was having issues w/ my cycle until it changed. I was led to believe it was perfectly normal by my dr.
I guess I thought that someone here could have gone thru something similar and would be able to advise. Sorry if I posted to the wrong forum.
tntne3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 05:21 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Janknitz
Stats: 254/184/150
WOE: Low Carb High Fat, Primal
Start Date: June 16, 2011
Metformin is not a test for insulin resistance and bleeding daily is not normal. Your best bet is a reproductive endocrinologist who can diagnose your gynecological issue AND will run the proper tests for insulin resistance and PCOS. Reproductive endos are better at this than regular gyno docs or endos because they understand both sets of issues--even if you are not trying to conceive.

Try to find a reproductive endo who does treat a lot of PCOS.

And don't self-medicate. It's dangerous.
Janknitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 06:08 PM   #5
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Eliza_Jazz
Stats: in Twoterville :)
WOE: My own natural/organic LC
Start Date: April 20, 2010 and every day since
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janknitz View Post
Metformin is not a test for insulin resistance and bleeding daily is not normal. Your best bet is a reproductive endocrinologist who can diagnose your gynecological issue AND will run the proper tests for insulin resistance and PCOS. Reproductive endos are better at this than regular gyno docs or endos because they understand both sets of issues--even if you are not trying to conceive.

Try to find a reproductive endo who does treat a lot of PCOS.

And don't self-medicate. It's dangerous.
Eliza_Jazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 05:59 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: gardengoddess
Stats: 199 highest/187/157 current/130 5'2
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: Restart: 9/5/2013
Are you possibly pregnant?
gardengoddess is online now   Reply With Quote