LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2013, 06:53 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Anglophile67
Stats: 207/167-only weighing once a month for sanity/145
WOE: Under 20 carbs/day
Start Date: January 2013
PCOS

Interested to see if there are any women here with PCOS who want to share their stories and offer support?
Anglophile67 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-2013, 06:23 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mom2AandE
Stats: 237/177/140
WOE: Low Carb-due to PCOS
Start Date: May 25, 2013
Yes! I have been looking for a PCOS forum. Having PCOS requires a much different mind set than just a regular person going LC.

I am Jennifer and I have had PCOS since I was 13 (am almost 46 now). I was diagnosed about the age of 20 with no additional info into what it was and how to handle it. Just a few months ago, I was given the info for a doctor near me who specializes in PCOS and also has Bariatric Training in addition to Women's Health. She has been a huge blessing to me.

She did the proper blood panel and discovered some things that my regular gp didn't even test for.

So, now I am on max 30g TOTAL carbs, a minimum of 60g protein and no limits on calories or fat. She requires me to drink 2 protein drinks a day to get my min amount. I use the Premier Protein shakes that are found by the case at Costco. They taste pretty good except for the sweetener after taste.

So far, I have lost 5 inches around my waist and about 17-18 pounds since starting at the beginning of June. Fluctuates depending on my water retention. I am beyond thrilled about how much better I feel. It has also been a reasonably easy plan to follow once I got off bread etc.

Last edited by Mom2AandE; 07-23-2013 at 06:25 PM..
Mom2AandE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 06:40 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tybeeanna
Stats: H286 }232VSG{ C162 G when I get there
WOE: low/carb 8-21-12
Start Date: 8/21/12
PCOS = metabolic X syndrome Insulin Resistance, Abnormal hair growth, Infertility,Menstrual cycle all wacked out, Obesity {ie} Belly fat. Thyroid problems. And all of these come with their own list of problems, It really sucks So many Drs don't have a clue or just don't care.. had it all my adult life. Lucky for me I never wanted to have children.. Just had to deal with all the rest..
tybeeanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 07:17 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tybeeanna View Post
PCOS = metabolic X syndrome Insulin Resistance, Abnormal hair growth, Infertility,Menstrual cycle all wacked out, Obesity {ie} Belly fat. Thyroid problems. And all of these come with their own list of problems, It really sucks So many Drs don't have a clue or just don't care.. had it all my adult life. Lucky for me I never wanted to have children.. Just had to deal with all the rest..
Don't forget High Blood Pressure, high cholesterol and sleep apnea. I have all of these things. My gp just put me on BCP, Spiro and cholesterol meds. I took myself off my statin because I was so miserable. My new doctor actually understands the unique chemistry of my body and said I am carb intolerant. I have to treat myself like I have an allergy to carbs because they just turn to fat. I lost my bloat in the first week and I am thrilled I can actually bend over without cutting off all my air supply. I also couldn't figure out why I was consistently gaining weight when I was actually eating small portions etc. Not a good dieter at all though. I did do Atkins about 8 years ago but just couldn't sustain it.

I am one of the lucky ones in that I have 2 beautiful children, a 15 yr old son and a 12 year old daughter.

Last edited by Mom2AandE; 07-23-2013 at 07:19 PM..
Old 07-24-2013, 05:19 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

I escaped the High blood pressure & sleep apnea and my total # 205 did not break it down to see what the ratio was Not gonna worry about that one now I would think I also am carb intolerant I take metformin for higher morn # than I want, my endo calles it insulin resistance.. I had a dr tell me when I was in my early twenty's & not had a cycle for 8+ mo that if you don't want kids not to worry about it..2 years later found a dr who understood it a little better The internet has been my education tool
Old 07-24-2013, 06:17 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: bacon bit
Stats: 201/137.2/135 5'2"/33 yrs
WOE: Moving up the Induction ladder
Start Date: May 2011
I don't have time to share, but subscribing so I can find you girls again! I've written about it here before though.
bacon bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 07:25 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Tybeeanna, it is considered insulin resistant but I don't see an endo. I took Metformin several years ago but the side effects were awful and I didn't lose any weight. My new doctor calls it carb intolerance so that I would think of it that way so that I understand how my body works. It is also a good way of describing it to people so that you can make good food choices. If people think you are "allergic" to carbs they won't push them on you. PCOS women are very unique in their body chemistry.

I don't have my numbers because I didn't get a copy, but I do know that my C-Reactive Protein was way off and that is a big indicator of PCOS. I also had super low B12 so I am now on a supplement.

Basically, a PCOS woman cannot eat carbs. We have to count TOTAL carbs because a carb is a carb to us. Our body will turn a carb into instant fat unlike a normal physiology that will burn it as fuel. She told me I am the type of person that can just look at cake and gain weight. Not literally but close.

I have learned so much from her. I see her every 2 weeks and she gives me a new weight loss goal each visit so that I stay on track.
Old 07-25-2013, 10:36 AM   #8
Junior LCF Member

Hi!

I think I have a lot in common with you Jennifer. I am also 46 and developed PCOS at 13 as well. Basically on my own to figure out how to deal with it. Struggled with infertility at the beginning because my cycle was so irregular (3-4/yr). Finally got pregnant on Clomid. Something about having my first child "reversed" the cycle problem. After dd was born my cycles suddenly started coming every 30 days--something they had NEVER done before. Had my next two children with no fertility problems. Weird.

I have been overweight (slightly) about 13/puberty. Which I know now was the PCOS. In my 30s, after kids 1 & 2 in 20 months my weight just shot up. I don't know that I ate a lot in terms of quantity, but it was definitely carb laden.

But since January I have been on <20 carbs per day, and I feel great. Wish some of the other unsavory aspects of this would go away though, along with the weight! No matter what I use, my face is always a greasy mess within 2 hours. Hate it!

I wonder if having ovaries removed fixes anything? Does anyone know? At 46, I'm not really using them anymore lol

I didn't realize sleep apnea is a related problem. I don't have that--but I see some of you do. Wow. Isn't PCOS awesome? Not.
Old 07-27-2013, 08:40 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Nancypie11
Stats: 191/172/145
WOE: LCHF/IF, insulin resistant
Start Date: Dec 17th 2012
Well I haven't been diagnosed pcos because I am waiting for school to start in 3 weeks to see the dr. But I have always had problems with my period, hair growth everywhere, when I was 13 I was put on bc... I've struggled to have 4 kids and after my last baby i stopped bc, was having a Miriad of health problems... Including hair loss, bad period, tiredness. Was diagnosed insulin resistant, went low carb but only thing it helped was with weight. After a lot of research I realized that I probably have pcos, started taking saw palmetto Sunday and I already am better, depression gone, I have energy woohoo!! Now I just have to wait for my hair to stop thining...

Sahm to 4 kiddos, wife to a lc hubby
Diagnosed insulin resistant 1/2013
Goals:
1: 160 lbs
2. size 10 jeans
3: 145 lbs

Nancypie11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 10:58 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: gordita
Stats: HW:338 CW:250 GW:189
WOE: LCHF
Gosh, I'm ridiculously envious of those who have a doctor that actually gives you something to go on beyond the diagnosis.

I was dx with PCOS years ago. I have a nurse practitioner who is AWESOME, and recommends Metformin for me, and a low-carb diet. I have an endo that seems like she has no clue what to do with me. She says "keep losing weight and if your periods get whacky again - call." She just really did not seem to know what she was doing - or what to do with me. Is that weird?

At any rate, I would definitely call myself carb intolerant, or allergic to carbs. I wish I had a doctor that knew more about it and could be supportive.

I was on Metformin for about a week, but felt icky on it (having reactive hypoglycemia I guess)... but every time my period rolls around, my hormones go ape-crazy, and things go out of whack. That's when I tried the Metformin. My doctor suggested I try it when I'm not on my period, and I just haven't gotten the guts up to do it, but I really want to give it a fair shot... so maybe this week.

I'm kind of in the middle of all this right now and am feeling rather sour about it.
Old 07-29-2013, 02:30 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Nancypie11
Stats: 191/172/145
WOE: LCHF/IF, insulin resistant
Start Date: Dec 17th 2012
Have you tried googling pcos and your hometown to see if there is a dr. That treats pcos and possibly low carb? I found mine through Jimmy's website...
Nancypie11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 06:44 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

[QUOTE=Anglophile67;

I wonder if having ovaries removed fixes anything? Does anyone know? At 46, I'm not really using them anymore lol

it will just throw you into full blown menopause I had a complete 7 years ago @ 43 But Does/did nothing for the hair growth, dry skin, the looking at a cake sideways & gaining 5 lbs belly fat, carb/insulin resistance I had a lot of back pain with my cycle Dr ask "you aren't going to start trying to have kids now are you" & took it all.
tybeeanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 03:51 PM   #13
Junior LCF Member

Tybeeanna, that is so disappointing!! I had this fantasy that getting rid of the ovaries would fix this mess. Waaah!!!
Old 08-03-2013, 05:33 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Janknitz
Stats: 254/184/150
WOE: Low Carb High Fat, Primal
Start Date: June 16, 2011
I have PCOS and my 12 year old daughter was just diagnosed. I was a thin teen and young adult but had severe PCOS from the onset of puberty, though not diagnosed until I was 19. My daughter is thin, had early breast development but no periods yet. She has severe acne. Her lipids are high and her testosterone is through the roof.

I'm 53. My first child was conceived by IVF, but my little one was a low carb and Metformin surprise. ;o). They didn't know about the connection between metabolism and PCOS when I was trying to conceive my first.

I'm having some difficulty determining if I'm in menopause right now as my FSH levels are all over the place. I don't seem to be suffering too many menopause symptoms.

I low carb and take Metformin. And feel pretty good this way.
Janknitz is offline   Reply With Quote