Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Women's Health
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2013, 06:55 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: theothertwin41
Menopouse and bhrt

Hi, all
I have not been on here for a long time, I had see the Dr last week for blood work not sure how to read this
Progesterone is 8.1 (ranges are ?

Estradiol is 25.1

The Dr did say the estrogen is a little low.

I had my iron , ferritin and b levels tested that looks good.

Has any one out there had dry hair and looks a little thin and feeling a little tired because of low estrogen?

The Dr and I think thyroid looks good, but I am looking at thyroid I think mybe a little low but it should not make my hair feel so dry like I am not taking any thing. I am absorbing my med.

I stop taking vitamins . what is the best vitamin and mineral out there that does not give headaches?
theothertwin41 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-25-2013, 09:21 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Tracy210T
Stats: 194/163/150
WOE: Atkins, baby!
Hi. Yes, welcome to the hormonal hell

Your labs should have come with ranges. Can you post those? Every lab is different.
How old are you?
We need to see your thyroid labs and ranges as well. Never trust your doctor's office to give you the results. Always go get a copy and do your own research.
Most docs tell patients their thyroid is fine when its not.

Never heard of vitamins giving headaches.
I take a simple orange Centrum chewable for women. I feel good on it.
Tracy210T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 06:02 AM   #3
The doctor is IN

Gallery: Lucy
Stats: startover 160/154/145 5'9"
WOE: Atkins (original)
Start Date: 2004, restart 5-15-14
Just had my estradiol checked and my doctor said it's 14 but should be about 50. I am on a cream that is compounded and added a patch now. Hopefully I'll be feeling better soon. My hot flashes were literally 50 or more per day. I was miserable so decided I would rather be on HRT than suffer for years. I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Oh and yes when I went on estrogen/progesterone cream, I saw a difference in energy immediately. My hair has always been dry so can't say it changed much, maybe a little.

“Faith is the gaze of a soul upon a saving God.” A.W. Tozer
I need a seatbelt for my wagon

Last edited by Lucy; 08-02-2013 at 06:04 AM..
Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 06:14 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Hate the hot flashes. Had one at work yesterday. I turned as red as a firetruck. Right in front of my boss. And he noticed. And fanned me with a file. And laughed. I was like Watch your back mister..

I just started on day 4 of the estradiol 0.5 mg tablet. I still have fairly regular cycles but my estradiol was 92 (86-498) and estrone was 22 (16-173)
Add to that.. my DHEA= 228 (102-1185).

No wonder my symptoms have been so debilitating!

I hope you find relief with the added patch!
Old 08-02-2013, 06:37 AM   #5
The doctor is IN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracy210T View Post
Hate the hot flashes. Had one at work yesterday. I turned as red as a firetruck. Right in front of my boss. And he noticed. And fanned me with a file. And laughed. I was like Watch your back mister..

I just started on day 4 of the estradiol 0.5 mg tablet. I still have fairly regular cycles but my estradiol was 92 (86-498) and estrone was 22 (16-173)
Add to that.. my DHEA= 228 (102-1185).

No wonder my symptoms have been so debilitating!

I hope you find relief with the added patch!
Thank you! I am 53 years old now. Since I had a hysterectomy (only my uterus removed) back in 1997 I didn't know when I entered menopause really until the hot flashes came. WHEW! I hate people who don't know what I mean LOL. NONE of the women here at my office have had them and I am talking 6 women who are already post-menopausal! My tests the other day also showed I am post-menopausal but I still have the hot flashes and other symptoms. I had REALLY bad TOM all my life and they say those women have worse menopausal symptoms, not sure if that's true. I went a year without using anything until like I said I couldn't stand it anymore. It's a delicate balance too and it's very smart to keep the levels checked at least once a year.

I hope you start seeing relief too!

Oh and for a while I kept a fan on my desk, in my living room right beside me and wherever else I would be for very long!
Old 08-02-2013, 07:12 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Ah.. ive heard that.. that women who had horrible and heavy periods end up having a harder time with menopause. So unfair
Are you on a daily dose of estrogen? Does your doc have you balancing with a progesterone? I read you arent supposed to treat with any estrogen without balancing it with progesterone.

Its the imbalance of these two hormones that wreak SO much havoc in our systems and finding the critical "balance" is key.

Please keep me updated honestly, somedays I feel TOTALLY alone in this mess even though its evident some of the people around me are in hormonal decline/ inbalance and it shows.

I can remember my mom having a hysterectomy at like, 35. Stupid docs. No cancer, just heavy TOMS and fibroids. So they just go in and "take it all".
Threw her into heavy menopause early with 3 small kids. We owned a florist at the time. Guess where I found her 2-3 hours a day? The walk in cooler
Old 08-02-2013, 07:25 AM   #7
The doctor is IN

Ahhhhhhhhhhh I'd almost have a walk-in cooler installed!

I feel alone too sometimes with this. And yes she balances it with progesterone. She did that too this time and it's a tiny bit low. She is very good at doing this. I went to a compounding pharmacy in the area and asked for recommendations of a good doctor and have been going to her for several years. She does saliva tests but my insurance doesn't cover them so this time I had blood tests.

There is one woman who works here that is totally impossible to get along with and has been worse for several years. She said she knows she needs hormones but refuses to take them. So she just continues to make all of OUR lives and her family's lives miserable??

I had a hysterectomy at 37 because of fibroids. BUT they caused a great amount of pain and they were HUGE.

Oh and I so research on EVERYTHING too. I do NOT trust doctors. Had too much really bad advice for myself and also going through my Mom's and Dad's decline before they died.
Old 08-02-2013, 07:44 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Man you said that right.. not trusting doctors. They are getting more and more incompetent by the day! It is so frustrating.

Sounds like you have one though that has a clue. You are lucky. Very lucky.
I thought i had found my fountain of youth doc 6 months ago. Paid her a fortune to test my saliva and she RX'd me progesterone only. Ignored the fact that my estrogen and DHEA were low on the test. I did great for a while. Almost got down to my goal weight and then everything plummeted.

Now i realize she is just a cranky OLD hormone-less woman who should treat herself!

I know what you mean about working with people who need HRT and wont take it. WOW. Im lucky right now. Have an office full of polite ladies but it wasnt always the case.
I think its crazy to suffer with these symptoms vs taking very, very low dose hormones. You have to consider your quality of life AND the qualify of life of your loved ones!
Old 08-02-2013, 07:54 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

And I just got an email from my doctor. She says I hope the estradiol brings you some relief. Its a trial. Lets see how you feel in a month. I just got your labs in. Your progestone is a little low. Everything else is normal.

See my ranges and levels above?
My levels might be within the HUGE ranges, they are not normal! And they are barely scraping the bottom. Come on lady. This is the Chief of Obstetrics and Gynecology!!
Why are these doctors so clueless?
I elected not to argue with her on the portal. It seems those messages go to outter space.

I sent her a short, to the point fax pointing out that numbers are not "normal"! I included my labs and circled the ones that very low and that are most likely causing my wretched symptoms. I thanked her for trying me on the estradiol and asked that she call me or set me an appt to come in.
Old 08-02-2013, 08:16 AM   #10
The doctor is IN

Oh boy good luck on getting her to see anything you circle!!! I tried that with my Mom's Endo about her thyroid. Unfortunately I knew more than HE did about it but he would never admit it and got VERY smart with me as I NICELY pointed out the numbers. In her case it was the parathyroid. It ended up causing her calcium to go WAY up finally and it was too late then. He should have seen it because it had already been steadily climbing. She was older so I guess he didn't think she was "worth the time". We have NO good Endo's around my area. I wish now that I had taken her to Nashville but I didn't know what I know now.

My doctor now is not the best but better than some. She is not big on the thyroid testing that other's recommend. If I ever get these hormones balanced I am thinking about changing to a doctor in the next city who specializes in thyroid and does ALL the tests for them. I know I can request a test for the T4 and T3 but it won't do any good if my doctor knows nothing about them!

Last edited by Lucy; 08-02-2013 at 08:19 AM..
Old 08-02-2013, 08:31 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Right. You have to specifically ask " please test my Free T3 and my Free T4". Those are the only hormones the thyroid puts out. TSH is a pit hormone. Once you are on T4 the TSH is useless. Last 4 docs ive had literally look at TSH alone
Old 08-02-2013, 09:47 AM   #12
The doctor is IN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracy210T View Post
Right. You have to specifically ask " please test my Free T3 and my Free T4". Those are the only hormones the thyroid puts out. TSH is a pit hormone. Once you are on T4 the TSH is useless. Last 4 docs ive had literally look at TSH alone
Unfortunately the one I have now does too That's why once she gets my hormones stabilized I am going to try to find one again who does Free T3 and Free T4. There used to be NO good thyroid doctors on the list here but I think maybe that has changed by now.
Old 08-02-2013, 09:53 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

TSH and Free T4 are cheap and done inhouse.. Free T3 is expensive and has to be sent out usually. Thats why docs dont use it much but its crucial to know the well being of your thryoid.. again.. they are just clueless sometimes I think.