Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Women's Health (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/womens-health/)
-   -   Can you be pregnant and do low carb? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/womens-health/808016-can-you-pregnant-do-low-carb.html)

asosanko 07-14-2013 12:54 PM

Can you be pregnant and do low carb?

Hello my boyfriend and I had a long talk and we are ready to have a baby, I have a mirena and im going to call my doctor tomorrow and see about having it removed.. anyways I was wondering if I am able to do low carb while I am pregnant and if so do doctors frown upon this or? Thank you!~*

suzanneyea 07-14-2013 01:05 PM

I was zero carb when I got pregnant. However, I had severe morning sickness and a huge ad version to meat. So, I went low carb. I usually had an artichoke for breakfast. Don't ask!
Lunch was usually eggs with cheese and onions. If I was having a bad day, I would eat deli meat and mayo. Dinner I could do ground beef as long as I drained any extra grease and added salsa. Which gave me heartburn all night.
I could also eat bacon.
It was really tough. I had really bad cravings the entire nine months, but I knew it was best for me and my baby. James is 15 months now and also low carb.

Maryposa 07-14-2013 01:08 PM

There used to be an active "healthy for baby" type thread for those TTC and those who are pregnant. I'll see if I can locate it for you and if it's still active.

suzanneyea 07-14-2013 01:34 PM

It is in the women's health section. We are very active. Lots of us doing low carb.

asosanko 07-14-2013 01:36 PM

Thanks guys! I have a couple more questions does doing low carb affect the health of the baby like eating healthier food the baby will be healthier? What type of baby food can the baby eat that is low carb and will I gain weight still while doing low carb and preggy thank you!~*

suzanneyea 07-14-2013 01:42 PM

Yes, you will still gain weight. Read Gary taubes, Why We Get Fat. He explains how eating sugar can effect the future health of your unborn child. But, you are putting them at a higher risk for diabetes and being overweight.
My baby started food with egg yolk mixed with bacon grease. Then ground beef. At 15 months, he eats all kinds of meat. Sometimes he has cheese too. Loves cucumbers.
Humans survived two million years without rice cereal and baby food.

Natalia 07-14-2013 01:45 PM

Personally, I wouldn't feel comfortable going VLC while pregnant.
However, I would go VLC up until I conceived. I would also try to avoid sugar & starch, even while pregnant. I would try to have meats, healthy fats, lots of veggies (as normal) but I would add in more NSA dairy and lower sugar fruit. I would continue while breast feeding . I wouldn't be surprised if LC is healthy during preg but for my comfort level I would add more healthy sources.

FatCat 07-14-2013 01:49 PM

In Dr.Atkins book: Dr.Atkins New Diet Revelution, he stated that you can low carb while pregnant and breast feeding, but it wasn't recommended that you lower your carbs so low that you are in ketosis. The reasoning was that there weren't any/enough studies to show that it was safe for the fetus or baby to be in ketosis.

That being said, it's been 10 years since I've read the book, and things may have changed about being in ketosis. You could pose that question on the Women's Health board, I'm sure that they would be glad to give you advice.

Arctic_Mama 07-14-2013 02:19 PM

My baby was conceived on low carb and, with the exception of about two months, was entirely low carb while gestating. And now I'm nursing and low carb (15-25 grams net).

It can be done and is quite safe. A lack of data does not a conclusion make ;)

~PaperMoon~ 07-14-2013 03:52 PM

I would say you can still limit your carbs and when you eat more just make sure it's more veggies and meat and fruit, healthy things, but I'm not sure about the very very low low carb like less than 30 carbs type low carb. Maybe between 30 and 50 carbs something like that. Nothing too strict. I would still watch carbs and try to not eat too many and definitely stay away from sweets, and chips and junk like that. You will need to eat more when pregnant, but let the more you eat be healthy things not junk. :) Eat more veggies and more fruit and meat and cheese etc.

Yes, chips and soda and HFCS and processed food is not good for unborn babies anyway and when you stay away from that stuff you are pretty much low carb by default. ;)

suzanneyea 07-14-2013 03:56 PM

I am nursing on zero carb. Well, now I am eating a lot of eggs, so I have a few carbs.

~PaperMoon~ 07-14-2013 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Natalia (Post 16514806)
Personally, I wouldn't feel comfortable going VLC while pregnant.
However, I would go VLC up until I conceived. I would also try to avoid sugar & starch, even while pregnant. I would try to have meats, healthy fats, lots of veggies (as normal) but I would add in more NSA dairy and lower sugar fruit. I would continue while breast feeding . I wouldn't be surprised if LC is healthy during preg but for my comfort level I would add more healthy sources.

Exactly I would say if you eat more carbs it should come from healthy things like fruit and extra veggies and milk and things like that. Definitely no junk food or sweets or processed food.

suzanneyea 07-14-2013 03:58 PM

I know two women who stayed zero carb for their pregnancies and their babies are very healthy.

~PaperMoon~ 07-14-2013 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suzanneyea (Post 16514935)
I am nursing on zero carb. Well, now I am eating a lot of eggs, so I have a few carbs.

Your baby is lucky and should grow up to have no problems with weight. :)

suzanneyea 07-14-2013 04:15 PM

He is actually pretty fat right now, lol.

~PaperMoon~ 07-14-2013 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suzanneyea (Post 16514970)
He is actually pretty fat right now, lol.

Oh okay LOL! :D

suzanneyea 07-14-2013 05:58 PM

We prefer to call him husky, but he is really just fat. And happy!

Ntombi 07-14-2013 06:11 PM

:laugh: He's a good eater.

asosanko 07-14-2013 06:25 PM

Thanks guys I'm ready but still scared does that make sense not about doing low carb just having a baby in general any parenting tips or anything of that nature would be appreciated :) <3

Maryposa 07-14-2013 11:01 PM

I forgot to mention that Valerie Berkowitz, a registered dietitian who used to work for Atkins Nutritionals (credited in the 2005 DANDR I think, she was instrumental in the movement toward subtracting fiber from our daily carb count) low carbed throughout her pregnancies. She did not, however, have a weight problem so she was eating maintenance level carbs anyway. If I remember right, she blogged about it somewhere.... I remember seeing somewhere online where she gave example menus of what she ate while pregnant. You might want to google that!

suzanneyea 07-15-2013 04:31 AM

Being a mom is not that hard. But, it does mean putting someone else's needs before your all the time. What you want to do will never be first priority again.

Natalia 07-23-2013 02:11 PM

@Suzanne, that's prob because junior is getting whipping cream when you nurse! Lol

Chubby babies are just so cute. Both of mine were pretty thin despite nursing nonstop!

suzanneyea 07-24-2013 03:20 AM

He looks like such a tank compared to the other toddlers his age.

Natalia 07-24-2013 08:01 AM

My SIL did a strict LC with her youngest when she was nursing. Her dd was quite chubby.
She is now 4 and very overweight.
However, I suspect the culprit is twofold a) unfortunate genes and more probably b) her mom had gestational diabetes and had to inject insulin. I've read that babies born to IR/GD moms tended to be more portly.

Kittee 07-25-2013 04:20 PM

I just found out I am pregnant with baby number 2. I ate horribly with the first one, this time I am doing low carb. I won't be eating as low as I do when I am trying to lose weight, I will be eating more veggies and probably some berries. I look forward to not weighing over 200lbs by the end of this pregnancy. Also I am starting out weighing less, so I am optimistic, lol.

suzanneyea 07-25-2013 06:45 PM

I ate so much junk in my first pregnancy too. Staying lc is tough, but really worth it. Good luck, you have my support!

lowcarbella 07-29-2013 05:39 PM

this is great thread
please google low carb pregnancy facts fallacies

vixendrop 07-30-2013 10:58 AM

I was lc'ing when I got pregnant with #2. I gave into the cravings though and went off LC. My fiance and I are going to be trying for another soon (recently had a loss so I have to wait for my body to regulate first) and I'm hoping to be strong and not go off plan this time.

erinmarie 08-07-2013 06:56 PM

my ob dr put me on a low carb diet. not induction style, i was allowed fruit and nuts. i still ran through the drive through for plain whataburgers when nausea hit. for some reason it was the only thing that curbed it. but for the most part, i was lc. and i did do a stricter version while nursing and got below prepregnancy weight amd had a great milk supply.

UghNowWhat 08-11-2013 08:23 PM

Do you still lose fat while pregnant though? Obviously you gain the weight of the baby after a few months..but once the baby comes can you look even thinner than you were when you got pregnant?