LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2013, 09:06 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: elliebean
Stats: 148/192/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: July 2013
tubal ligation

Hi all. I just posted in induction but has anyone else had a tubal ligation? Had a miscarriage in December and tubal ligation early March. My weight has absolutely ballooned and I've gained 50 lbs within about 8 months.

Not sure if depression or side effect due to hormones. Any input?
elliebean is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-2013, 06:06 AM   #2

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
that's a bummer. I know I gain that fast if I just stop counting every bite I take and staying hungry all the time, but I don't think that's common...

the first thing is always: have your thyroid checked. Free T3 and Free T4. look on the thyroid board here for more info.

If that were a common thing with TL I think we would hear about it. Doctors would be extremely reluctant to do it.
ravenrose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 01:07 PM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: pocahontas
That seems odd to me. So 8 months ago means that you started gaining weight before the tubal, right? I would chalk it up to the depression. Are you eating on plan or have you just thrown it out the window? The reason I ask is because I can easily put back on 50 lbs in that amount of time if I havent been on plan the whole time. You can always call for a blood panel but it seems to me that the problem started before the tubal and closer to the m/c. I'm sorry for your loss.

pocahontas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 07:17 AM   #4

Gallery: kristina
Stats: 250/243.6/140
WOE: Weight Watchers online
Start Date: September 12 2014
I noticed after my tl (LONG time ago!) that my periods were "off" for the 1st time in my life. I had always been every 23 days. From the time I started, till the tubal. I also had mood swings and very heavy periods. I heard similar stories from other friends as well.
kristina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 01:20 AM   #5

Gallery: Jennyl
Start Date: manana
I had no problems with my tubal ligation. I was lowcarbing at the time and I didn't gain any weight because of it.
Jennyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 10:40 AM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ZoeCat
Yeah I made that mistake myself years ago - TL tends to throw off your estrogen/progesterone balance because no matter what the doctor says, bloodflow to and from the ovaries is impaired and finally the ovaries shrivel up and die. So now it's up to your adrenals to produce progesterone - most of the time they're too busy making cortisol (which is their primary function, so that overrides everything else). If you have estrogen dominance, that will mess with your cortisol output, stress goes up and that will mess with your insulin and the end result is really bad cravings, overeating and weight gain.
Progesterone is SO SO important to us - if that's off, everything else will be off, including your thyroid since progesterone aids in converting T4 to T3. For some weird reason endo's and other doctors don't seem to know about this "big picture" of womens' hormone system. Estrogen is produced by fat cells, so the fatter we get, the more estrogen we put out and the more estrogen we put out, the more imbalanced we come and boom! Estrogen dominance. And this is on top of all the xenoestrogens in our environment, in plastics, cosmetics, the water etc. And people wonder why there's an obesity epidemic sheeesh!
ZoeCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 01:40 PM   #7

Zoe - this is all very interesting. I had 2 c-sect and opted not to have a tubal. My doc seemed shocked but DH said he would get the V so we went that route. I am more and more happy with my decision. My father in law is an OBGYN and also suggested I skip the tubal if DH was willing but he didnt go into great detail as to why.
Old 07-10-2014, 01:46 PM   #8
Thick and Delicious

Gallery: CARLINI
Stats: 303/252/140
WOE: Eating REAL food
Start Date: 2/14/2004
Zoe I had no idea. When the time comes for sterilization, we'll have to look into other options.
CARLINI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 06:43 PM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: dazygyrl
do you have any studies/info about all that, zoe?

i had a TL nearly 10 years ago and my cycles are unchanged. al a tubal does is inhibit the egg from getting to the uterus….as a nurse, i have never heard this before. hormones don't flow thru the tubes. our cycles occur as a result of communication between the ovaries and the pituitary.

am interested to see some studies.

Last edited by dazygyrl; 07-11-2014 at 06:45 PM..
dazygyrl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 07:35 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazygyrl View Post
do you have any studies/info about all that, zoe?

i had a TL nearly 10 years ago and my cycles are unchanged. al a tubal does is inhibit the egg from getting to the uterus….as a nurse, i have never heard this before. hormones don't flow thru the tubes. our cycles occur as a result of communication between the ovaries and the pituitary.

am interested to see some studies.
Me too! Doesnt change anything for me since the time already passed and DH is getting the V but it is all very interesting.
Old 07-14-2014, 01:32 AM   #11
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ZoeCat
Well, I seriously doubt there are any long-term, double-blind studies in this particular area - let alone good/impartial ones. Really, since when is the medical industry interested in us women and our problems after we've served our purpose or after a certain age....? Yeah, that may sound bitter and a big generalization but in my experience we stop being interesting to "the industry" after the age of 35 or so

Anyway, none of that changes the basic physiology of how how our "stuff" works. A tubal ligation involves cutting and impairing the blood flow of the uterine and ovarian artery branches that are right there in the zone where the tubes are tied/cut. The more they are impaired the harder it is for progesterone to perform its duties in the uterus. Progesterone isn't produced by the ovaries themselves but the follicle the egg comes in. When the follicle bursts and the egg starts travelling down the tube, it becomes the corpus luteum and that's what secretes progesterone for the rest of our cycle.

Now granted, the before-mentioned arteries don't provide most of the blood flow TO the ovaries (that's the aorta if I remember correctly) so that's maybe not the biggest reason for them to shrivel up. BUT as we all know, hormones get their messages across to the target tissues via the blood stream. And the blood stream to the uterus tends to be impaired after this procedure. Most doctors will say it won't although some do admit this in my experience. How CAN'T they admit this? They would need high-precision instruments and x-ray goggles to navigate in this tiny area for them to do just minimal damage. And a longer time than it takes to do this procedure. How long does the procedure take.... less than a half hour? 15 minutes? Doesn't exactly evoke confidence that this is done carefully or precisely does it.

Ok, so progesterone still has work to do in the uterus, even if we don't get pregnant - and if it can't get its messages across in the blood stream, over time, that means that the ovaries shrivel up and die (seems to be 2-4 years depending on the damage done). And even if they don't shrivel up and die, whatever is put out won't reach the uterus or at least there will be much less progesterone to counteract estrogen. Which leads us to heavier bleedings during menstruation, fibroids, PCOS etc. Progesterone's job is not a one-way street - it's all a circle of activities and if one part of the circle is ruined, something starts to go wrong. I don't have time to go into too much detail about exactly how this happens as it's been awhile since I read all this stuff about our reproductive organs/hormonal activity so I'd have to start reading up on it again to do that step-by-step.... I'm sure you're fully capable of searching the internet for yourselves if you're interested.

I will say that those women who are the least stressed out have the best chances of utilizing their adrenals to produce progesterone as needed. And how many of us are NOT stressed out by life? Modern life isn't exactly stress free. Combine that with all the excess of estrogens in our environment, estrogen produced by fat tissue in the body and low enough progesterone levels.... and ish will hit the fan soon enough and disrupt the delicate balance of our hormones.

All I want to say is that there are hundreds or thousands of good studies about all kinds of stuff out there that have been debunked over the years (for example the "fat is bad for you" thing). I don't know about you guys, but I quit putting my faith in studies alone awhile ago. They're fine to have as an overview or as an aid to get information. But these days I tend to go by the "Today’s facts are tomorrow’s fallacies" philosophy. But of course you're free to discount everything I've just said because I can't quote any studies. And that's quite ok, people should always make up their own minds and research themselves anyway.... never let anyone feed you information, especially nameless/faceless people on the internet
ZoeCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 06:21 AM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: dazygyrl
well, i'm not sure where this info comes from, but i'm pretty sure that after nearly 10 years my ovaries have not shriveled up.
dazygyrl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 07:39 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Galoutofdixie
Stats: Back up to 156 :(
WOE: Atkins-Induction
Start Date: March 2004
Had a Tubal 42 yrs. ago. Never had any problems. Reg. menstrual cycles, regular menopause at 55. I've gained and lost weight off an on all of my adult life, although when I was young, I was able to maintain a fairly good and stable weight. As I got older, the weight was harder to keep off, thus the Low carb lifestyle starting in my late 40's. Now after meno. it's coming off really slow, but it is at least coming down, so won't complain. I was 19 when I had my tubal.
Galoutofdixie is offline   Reply With Quote