Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Women's Health (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/womens-health/)
-   -   Low Carbing question for during pregnancy (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/womens-health/805616-low-carbing-question-during-pregnancy.html)

jmb245ru 06-06-2013 11:24 AM

Low Carbing question for during pregnancy

I am 7 months pregnant and am not low carbing. Would it be bad to try and start low carbing at least two weeks before baby is due just so I can get back to the hang of things? I lost 65 lbs in 5 months before I found out I was pregnant and I'm so depressed that I've already gained 40 lbs of that back because all I crave are carbs. I try eating fruits and vegetables but it just doesn't stop the cravings.

Jessica

cheri 06-06-2013 01:32 PM

Why not wait the last two weeks and do it after the baby is born? Its only 2 weeks.. Also are you going to breast feed? If so, you do not want to be in Ketosis while breastfeeding because they don't know what the ketones would do to baby's who nurse. If you are nursing then I wouldn't worry too much about it. When I did I lost all kinds of weight just from nursing.. I had a 4 week check up and my doctor couldn't believe I had lost 45 pounds since the day I had the baby! Nursing really helps most women lose weight. If you are not doing that then I would just wait the 2 weeks.. You could lower your carbs but I wouldn't go full force until after you have the baby.

jmb245ru 06-06-2013 01:50 PM

I'm going back and forth on attempting to try and breastfeed again. I tried with my other two children, the first one wouldn't take to it, and the second one, I bf for a month and a half, and was told to stop all together because he lost too much weight. With my last one I swore I was never going to try again because his pediatrician (ex now) made me feel like the worst mother and that there was something wrong with me. It turned out he had massive acid reflux and stomach issues.
I know waiting the two weeks would just be for the best. Thank you for the info!

cheri 06-06-2013 02:01 PM

Every breastfeeding experience is different for each child... You may want to try it... Even if you only do it for the first few weeks its enough to give him/her that great colostrum at the beginning. If it doesn't pan out at least you gave the baby a good start. I couldn't breast feed my first one.. He had head trauma when born and couldn't even eat the first week of life and was on IV's.. He lost that sucking instinct.. I did pump though!! You could do that if the baby doesn't do well. I had to hold my sons chin up until he could latch on to a bottle so it was hard for him.. I did pump the first 2 weeks but then had to switch to formula.. Now my second child did fantastic!! I did great also and almost most babies lose a little weight the first week or two (when breastfed) mine started gaining after the first week and I nursed him for the first 4 months. It took a lot of weight off so it was win win!