Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Women's Health
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2013, 11:42 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: wccprincess
Cervical Biopsy - Annual Pap Necessary?

I thought I had breezed through menopause. Last year, 5/12, my gyn took me off birth control at the age of 52. I never had any issues with my cycle, no heavy bleeding, very regular. For the past year, I've had absolutely no bleeding/spotting until almost a day to the year when I experienced some minor spottting. It stopped and two weeks later spotted again. I called the gyn and was told I had to come in the next day and see the nurse practioner as my doctor was away on vacation. The nurse practioner did a biopsy and said I was to undergo bloodwork and a vaginal ultrasound. I had to wait until the biospy area was healed for the ultrasound, approximately 11 days. All tests came back with good results but the office called to tell me that I should schedule another ultrasound and a hydroscopy. I did so, but experienced a lot of discomfort during the ultrasound. I told the tech I did not want to do the hydroscopy. She suggested the doctor review the second ultrasound she just did and let me know whether it was really necessary. The doctor and tech both said the ultrasound showed no issues and that I "looked pretty normal" and if I didn't want to do the ultrasound, I would not have to. I declined it. My annual pap is scheduled for 5/21. I'm wondering why I would have to do this as I just had a biopsy and ultrasound. Do you think it's necessary?
wccprincess is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-2013, 12:05 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: northwoods nan
Stats: 173/150/140
WOE: low carb my way
Start Date: June 1 2011
I think it is mainly CYA. I also told my np that I had slight bleeding after menopause and I had to see a gyn and have the biopsy done. I had to call the clinic to get the results as no one bothered to call me! I didn't have any of the other tests that you did.
northwoods nan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 12:15 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for the reply. Glad to hear that you are okay. What is CYA?
Old 05-09-2013, 07:58 PM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Olive Oil
Cover your... bootie.
Olive Oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 06:38 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Ronnie51
A vaginal ultrasound looks at your uterus and ovaries and isn't a replacement for a pap test which involves taking sample tissue from your cervix to test for cervical cancer. I'm assuming the biopsy you had was an endometrial biopsy, which is taking tissue samples from inside your uterus (not your cervix). I'm not sure you why you would need an ultrasound if you already had a biopsy. I don't trust ultrasounds anyway. Based on the results of an ultrasound, I was told I also needed a biopsy, then D&C and there was nothing there. Anyway, I hope you had your pap test yesterday.
Ronnie51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 12:02 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for the info. What you said is almost verbatim what my gyn said. I did have the pap and I'm set for the next year. Good luck with your tests
Old 05-25-2013, 02:16 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Ronnie51
Thanks, wccprincess. All this happened two years ago and it taught me a lesson. I don't tell my doctor about my aches anymore unless they're really worrisome. I had told him about a persistent pain in my lower abdomen which led to the first ultrasound. That opened up a can of worms that lasted over a year with ultrasounds every 4 months and ultimately to the D&C which stopped the train. Total waste of time, money and worry.

Last edited by Ronnie51; 05-25-2013 at 02:17 PM.. Reason: Deleted a word
Ronnie51 is offline   Reply With Quote