Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Women's Health
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2013, 02:01 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Stardust
Boooo! PCOS

Well was diagnosed with PCOS last night. It sucks but guess it kind of explains some things to me, like why low carb seems to be the ONLY way for me to lose weight!

Any other PCOS sufferers here? Any advice for me at all? xx
Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-2013, 02:58 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: raindroproses
Stats: 5'6" - 203/151/150 - Size 14/6/4
WOE: NK (less than 20 total carbs daily)
Start Date: January 25th 2013
Awww so sorry you're going through that too! There are lots of us here actually, so you're definitely not alone... I find that this WOE has cleared up a LOT of problems for me though I'm not sure exactly what plan you follow, but I cut out all wheat/gluten and processed foods pretty much, and all sugar (except the tiny bit that's in certain 1g carb sauces or something). I keep my carbs super low too whenever possible (under 20 total, not net, per day) and that's really helped my weight loss come along nicely because you're right... I tried EVERYTHING before (even starving myself, literally) and I'd maybe lose a few pounds and it'd all come back and then some!

Also, if you're not taking a good multi that'll help you out a TON... and potassium and magnesium supplements (as well as calcium, but enough is usually in a good multi unless you're deficient) are VERY important for women's health and I find that it helps cut down on my cramping almost entirely. Just be careful with potassium if you're taking BP meds, but otherwise you should be fine

Also, I started in on the apple cider vinegar tonics over a month ago now and I've seen a HUGE difference... I recommend you look into those too if you haven't already! The month before I started using them, cramps like CRAZY (as usual for me, stupid PCOS!) and I gained 4 pounds of water weight during TOM.... this past month WHILE using the tonics? NO cramping for the first time that I can ever remember, and only ONE pound of water weight! Definitely worth it imo!
raindroproses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 03:18 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Punkin
Stats: 160/95/100
WOE: NK or LC
Yes. I was very lucky to be able to conceive a child, but I am frusterated because the thing that bothers me the most about it is that I have had so much difficulty being able to conceive. All the other issues with it don't bother me as much. The thing that frusterates me is that the media still things it has to do with dieting and low body fat. I have always had it no matter how much I weight (60lbs ago) and what diet I followed! Although LC has been a better way of managing it.
Punkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 03:28 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for your replies! I had always suspected I may have had it as I struggled to lose weight, have thin hair, suffer from acne and also fatigue, but I have two kids so figured maybe not. The scan showed that only my left ovary has the cysts (the woman tried to make it sounds like it was wearing a pretty bead necklace lol) so maybe that is why I didn't have too much trouble concieving?

I just follow general low carb, try to stick to uder 30g of carbs and I do seem to be able to lose weight at that, even if it is slowly after the first whoosh. Thanks for the recommendations on vitamins I might need, will check those out xxx
Old 04-24-2013, 03:29 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Oh and I will definitely look in to apple cider vinegar tonics. Its that time of month right now and cramps are awful, right up in to my back and even my thighs ache!
Old 04-24-2013, 09:08 AM   #6
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Sleepy
i have pco also, took them 12 years to diagnose me
low carb or hcg only works for me
Sleepy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:04 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/202/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Yup, I've had PCOS since I was a teen, though it wasn't diagnosed as such until much more recently. I havent' ever had cysts on my ovaries though. There are so many manifestations of PCOS. I have insulin resistance as part of the PCOS, and low carb eating and metformin have really helped control my PCOS symptoms.
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:18 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: micheleredit
Stats: 153/148/105
WOE: Ketogenic (high fat,low carb)
Start Date: April 4th, 2014
I"m in the same boat as you all. I can totally relate!!!! The only thing that helps me lose weight is Induction??

What are people's carb levels like to maintain I wonder??? Can we ever have fruit again???
micheleredit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:59 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: bdladie
Stats: 311/187/150 for now
WOE: South Beach kind of
Start Date: 1/16/06
I have PCOS to late now for me to conceive but I do control all the symptoms with 2500mg Metformin and low carb life. I have severe insulin resistance that has not gotten any better really since losing at one time 155 now at 120.

Still wish they would have found it earlier in my life but they figure I was born with insulin resistance.
bdladie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 12:15 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

I'm amazed at the number of people who have it and how people have such varying symptoms. I mentioned it on my Facebook and like 12 of my friends have it too! (I do have about 200 friends on there lol).

I seem to lose weight best keeping carbs under net 25g. I can lose weight whatever those 25g are made up of, but I do need to be careful with some things. Although some things can be low, they seem to give me cravings. Sugar free things such as sugar free jelly can do that, I guess maybe it the sweeteners used? I can have a few strawberries as long as I mix them with some heavy cream, the fat seems to balance out the carbs for me and stop me craving anything else.