Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Women's Health
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2013, 03:46 PM   #1141
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sutton_02
Stats: 5'8" - Currently 172lbs / Goal of 150lbs
WOE: Paleo/Primal
Haha, KQT, I didn't try the flipety flopety technique!

Debbie - that is fantastic news! He's precious. I love that little double chin he's sporting. How are YOU holding up?

Andi - that's weird about your fasting numbers. Are you eating more carbs at dinner?
sutton_02 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-22-2013, 04:03 PM   #1142
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: pocahontas
Debbie - I have been hoping and praying for an update from you! Little Dominick has really filled out, he looks wonderful. So happy for you!!!

Sutton - No clue. They said there is nothing you can do to prevent GD, it is a placental hormone issue. My BP is great, have only gained 5 lbs and have been at maintenance level carbs all along but the hormones have gotten the best of me. I was not able to bring my fasting numbers down even with restricting more carbs. They put me on the lowest dose of glyburide before bedtime 3 days ago but not much of a change yet. I really wanted to avoid meds but the health of baby is my first priority. All my other numbers are excellent!

Krissy!

pocahontas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 05:33 AM   #1143
foxy librarian

Gallery: stargirl21
He looks great Debbie! So happy for your family.

I think baby may have flipped. I am feeling most of the kicks above my belly button now, the opposite of the last few weeks. I hope he stays there!
stargirl21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 07:37 AM   #1144
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocahontas View Post
Sutton - I really wanted to avoid meds but the health of baby is my first priority. All my other numbers are excellent!
I totally agree Andi! I'm curious why an elevated fasting BG is a problem, when all the other numbers are good. (I don't know much about GD or diabetes in general, but it sounds like dawn phenomenon). Either way, glad it's being watched and treated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stargirl21 View Post

I think baby may have flipped. I am feeling most of the kicks above my belly button now, the opposite of the last few weeks. I hope he stays there!
Yaay! Fingers crossed for you that he stays that way!
Old 11-25-2013, 07:07 AM   #1145
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Happycat21
Stats: Ugh. Can't use the "new baby" excuse anymore!
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: every day
Quote:
Sutton - No clue. They said there is nothing you can do to prevent GD, it is a placental hormone issue. My BP is great, have only gained 5 lbs and have been at maintenance level carbs all along but the hormones have gotten the best of me. I was not able to bring my fasting numbers down even with restricting more carbs. They put me on the lowest dose of glyburide before bedtime 3 days ago but not much of a change yet. I really wanted to avoid meds but the health of baby is my first priority. All my other numbers are excellent!
Hi Andi! I had that exact same issue with Brandon....fasting #'s were most of the tme over 90, but hardly ever over 100. 99% of my post meal numbers were perfect. I asked my endo if it was the dawn phenomen and he said no, not in preganny. He said the same thing--about it being the placenta/hormone issues. He wanted me to take an insulin shot before I went to bed at night to prevent the "high" (haha, hardly, but whatever!) fasting morning numbers, but I resisted. I finally went on the smallest does of glyburide myself, and only had to increase it once. But they still said it was such a small dose, so I didn't beat myself up over it even though I really wanted to do the whole pregnancy med free.

Our baby boys that we waited so long for. They are 359 days apart!

Sharon

Last edited by Happycat21; 11-25-2013 at 07:09 AM..
Happycat21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 07:08 AM   #1146
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Happycat21
Stats: Ugh. Can't use the "new baby" excuse anymore!
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: every day
Carlini-so glad to hear about Dominick! They really do amazing things in the NICU's. I just wish my work wasn't blocking the pictures of him!

Sutton, the twins are adorable!!
Happycat21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 08:46 AM   #1147
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DD80
Stats: 188/165.0/145 5'10"
WOE: Organic GrassFed Gluten-Free 5/13 Dairy Free 2/14
Start Date: 1/10/12 Medi, 2/9/12 First UD, 1/1/13 New Plan
Quote:
Originally Posted by CARLINI View Post
Dominick is doing great! He's 6 weeks old today (31 weeks adjusted), weighs 2lb 12oz, and is just shy of 15 inches long. They will be taking him off the ventilator soon, since he's doing a good job breathing on his own.

I'm so happy to read this update! He's so cute, Debbie.
DD80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 12:59 PM   #1148
Senior LCF Member

Happy Thanksgiving ladies! Hope everyone's eating up today! Y'all eat for me. We're not doing anything this year. Just chillaxing at home with the twins.
Old 11-30-2013, 04:39 PM   #1149
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Shantony
Stats: 243/226/150 (5' 2")
WOE: LCHF/Keto
Start Date: Jan 1, 2014
DH and I want a baby. He's 30 and I'm 42, obese with both tubes blocked. May be a possible candidate for IVF if I can lose some weight. They literally said, "You're 42 and obese we have to make sure we are not going to waste resources."

I feel like a person waiting for a transplant. Its like I have to prove I'm "good enough" or "worthy enough" of having IVF. I know I'm very overweight. I'm working on it. Hopefully, I will be able to shed enough pounds and adopt healthier habits over the next few months to show the doctors how seriously I want this. All the while I hear the clock ticking down....
Shantony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 01:30 PM   #1150

Shantony! All I can say is that I have seen many, many women on LCF fall pregnant after taking some weight off with LC. Dive in, what have you got to lose except the weight? I wish you the best of luck!

As for me, I was 34 wks yesterday. My BP is amazing this time around, 117/78. I did have to go on the low dose of Glyburide to get my fasting number down but all is well and I have had no issues at all. I am up to 3 appts per week which is exhausting! I have NST's twice a week and usually have to see either the GD doc or my OB one week or the next. I started working from home just before the Holiday so at least my commute is over. There is no way I could do it with all the appts anyhow. Hoping to get my c-sect schedule soon so that we have a date! Cant believe how fast it has gone....

Last edited by pocahontas; 12-03-2013 at 01:31 PM..
Old 12-03-2013, 06:20 PM   #1151
foxy librarian

Wow Andi! You are doing great!! 3 appts a week would be exhausting. I hope you get a date soon so you can count down.

It's been an eventful week here. I had a day of terrible pelvic pain and just being uncomfortable. Went to the dr the next day and was met with the old "this is what happens in the third trimester." But deep down I knew something wasn't right. Well 2 days later they called and said I had a UTI. I just knew it wasn't normal. 3 days of meds and I was back to normal.

We had an ultrasound today and baby is head down! I'm so relieved. He is in a great position for birth. My new worry is that he is in the 86% for growth. Yikes.
He's already 4.5 lbs at 32 weeks! I know it can be off but I'm afraid I'll end up with a huge baby But everything else looks great. Plenty of fluid and the cord is functioning well.
He even has hair already

We had maternity pics taken over the weekend by my husband's cousin. It was fun but once I saw them I was not very happy with how I looked Oh well, I'm sure one day I'll look back and be glad I have them.
Old 12-05-2013, 06:01 PM   #1152
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: abby456
Hello ladies! I found this group by googling and looking for info on staying low carb while pregnant. I'm just about 5 weeks into my 2nd pregnancy. I love eating low carb and want to try my hardest to stay on plan during my pregnancy.

How low carb have you guys stayed while pregnant? I am not looking to lose anything, just hoping not to gain too much!
abby456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 06:24 PM   #1153

Gallery: Lori37
Stats: 310/215/180
WOE: Modified low carb
Start Date: 6/1/2010
Quote:
Debbie - I have been hoping and praying for an update from you! Little Dominick has really filled out, he looks wonderful. So happy for you!!!

Krissy!
Have you read how I kept my BS down? I got early GD at 12 weeks. They put me on the "GD" diet. Worked for a month, I gained TONS of weight on it and my numbers started creeping up. Around 30 weeks I got permission to eat how I thought I should eat. I just ate meat and veggies, and an occasional corn tortilla. I had dawn phenomenon and my blood sugar would be higher in the morning then before I went to bed. So I started waking up earlier and earlier and working out. I spent many days in my third trimester getting up at 3am to go to the gym and eat breakfast before the numbers spiked. It worked great and avoided the Glyberide they wanted to put me on! I had a midwife clinic birth, and couldn't do so with any meds. So I was really motivated to do whatever I had to do to avoid drugs.
http://lorivsjourneytohealth.blogspot.com/
Lori37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 09:02 AM   #1154

Lori, I do remember! I am not following their GD diet, I am eating how I know how and they are fine with it. I wasnt even diagnosed until 32 wks. Even with my LC diet, my fasting number wouldnt come down to under 100 or so. I only had like one or two 97's. The Glyburide is working just fine and I am on the lowest dose possible. My numbers are now in the 75-85 range and I am cruising. Im having a repeat c-sect so I wont be avoiding the hospital in any way. I have only gained 10 lbs +/- so I do think this was placenta hormones that I couldnt control.
Old 12-09-2013, 10:28 AM   #1155
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Macc0021
Stats: Pregnant - trying to keep gains at a minimum! :)
WOE: wheat allergy + low carb + pregnant!
Start Date: Every day!
Hello all, I have been following you guys for a few months now. My hubby and I have officially started TTC. I took my last BC pill on Nov. 23rd. I have been using a fertility/period tracker app called Ovia (by Ovuline) and I really like it.

I have been getting plenty of sleep, exercise, and eating well! Also cut down on my coffee intake... down to 16 ounces today -- that is big for me!

Does anyone have any tips? My DH and I are both 28 and healthy. I am eating LC right now (wheat allergy), but do have a carby side at dinner. Maybe 50g per day? I have been on BC for nearly 12 years so it might take a few cycles to get back to normal, I don't know.

When should I take a PG test? My app says on December 23rd...

Keep your eyes on the stars, and your feet on the ground.

In general, mankind, since the improvement of cookery, eats twice as much as nature requires.
Macc0021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 11:02 AM   #1156
foxy librarian

Welcome Mac! I would try not to get discouraged if you don't get pregnant in the first couple of months after getting off the pill. I have been off the pill for about 4 years now but I remember the first couple of cycles being off.

It is great that you are tracking your cycles. That was really all I needed to do to get pregnant. But just remember that the date they give you saying you are ovulating is just a guess. Make sure you start trying a few days before and after to make sure you can catch the egg My only other suggestion would be to start a prenatal now. I wish I would have done that but I got pregnant the first cycle we tried and I totally was not expecting it.
Old 12-09-2013, 11:36 AM   #1157
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for the advice stargirl! I started a prenatal vitamin 2 months ago. I am expecting that it will take a couple months, but I know of a couple people that got pregnant on the first cycle so we shall see!
Old 12-09-2013, 11:53 AM   #1158
Senior LCF Member

Welcome back macc! My only advice is to have fun trying! And maybe sneak a nooner in every once in a while. I'm pretty sure our twins were conceived during a nooner.
Old 12-10-2013, 11:59 AM   #1159
Senior LCF Member

Thanks, we will!!!
Old 12-17-2013, 02:14 PM   #1160

C-section is scheduled for January 6th.......EEEEEEEEEK!
Old 12-17-2013, 06:33 PM   #1161
foxy librarian

That is so close!!! So excited for you. How are you feeling?

I've had a really bad cold for the past week so it has been rough. I had 2 showers over the weekend. The first was a total surprise thrown by my friends here and then a family shower on Sunday. I can't believe everything we got! Our registry is basically bought. Now we just need to get the nursery together! Luckily we both have the next 2 weeks off.
Old 12-18-2013, 04:14 AM   #1162

Gallery: suzanneyea
Stats: 156/124/120
WOE: Vlc
Hi guys, just a checking in. James is twenty months old. A super active little man. Lots of smiles and jumping. Very independent, except...he is STILL nursing! Lol I see no end in sight!
suzanneyea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 12:45 PM   #1163
Senior LCF Member

Andi - that is right around the corner! How exciting!

Alie - Woohoo to getting all the goods!

Suzanne - Kudos to you for nursing so long! I had visions of extended BFing, but let me tell y'all, BFing twins is way more work than I had ever imagined!! They are still exclusively fed pumped breast milk, but I don't know how long I can keep this up. My first goal is 6 months. They are almost 3 months old.

This board's been a little quiet lately. I hope everyone is doing well. We're doing good over here. Boys are growing like crazy. They outgrew the preemie chart, and are now being charted with full term babies. I've gotten back in the gym and really need to start slowly losing weight. I feel like such a fat butt.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to you all!!!
Old 12-19-2013, 12:54 PM   #1164
Senior LCF Member

First visit with Santa...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (30.1 KB, 36 views)
Old 12-19-2013, 12:56 PM   #1165
Senior LCF Member

Another pic
Old 12-19-2013, 01:11 PM   #1166
Senior LCF Member

Trying again...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (46.7 KB, 33 views)
Old 12-20-2013, 09:58 AM   #1167

Alie - I am feeling ok! This baby is very strong and kicks and rolls and it can be a bit painful. My NST also noted that I have irregular contractions so Im just hoping baby stays put until the date.

Suzanne - I cut DS off cold turkey at 14 mo. Seriously, I was done. I work FT so I was pumping and nursing and my whole life revolved around it and I felt that 14 mo was long enough. We had slowly started introducing him to organic whole milk after he was 1yr so the transition worked well. He was used to taking bottles at daycare though. Does James take a sippy? Is he drinking whole milk at all? Cold turkey has worked for us with everything.....nursing, bottle, pacifier, etc. DS only asks for a day or two then it is forgotten.

Sutton - Those boys are adorable! 6 mo is a great goal, that is always my goal going into it. I surprised myself and went 14 mo with DS. You do get into a routine and then hate to throw in the towel but I can imagine it is a bit more difficult with twins. They sure look happy and healthy!
Old 12-20-2013, 12:16 PM   #1168
foxy librarian

Aww Sutton they are sooo sweet!!!

My goal is to breastfeed for a year. I'll be going back to work when he is 7 months so we'll see how it goes.
Old 12-24-2013, 10:37 AM   #1169
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DD80
Stats: 188/165.0/145 5'10"
WOE: Organic GrassFed Gluten-Free 5/13 Dairy Free 2/14
Start Date: 1/10/12 Medi, 2/9/12 First UD, 1/1/13 New Plan
all! I'm still around. I keep up on this thread all the time, just don't have much to add. Sutton those little guys are so adorable. Poc - January 6th...crazy. I'm excited to see boy or girl. I think boy.

We are still trying, but I have been having problems with my hormones (and thyroid) getting regulated after the MC. I'm almost back on track, I think. My LP was a bit short (11 days), so I've been working on extending that, making sure my thyroid meds are optimized (they were off and I gained about 15 lbs seemingly overnight), and making sure my progestorone levels are good. Last month I got 1 extra day of LP! Temping has been very useful for me.
Old 12-25-2013, 08:36 AM   #1170
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Suzie
Merry Christmas everyone. I'm glad to see everyone is doing well.

I'm struggling with this holiday, without Connor. I'm making it through though.

I think DH and I may start trying again next month. We have been talking about it. The break has been nice to get our thoughts back together and to just relax.
Suzie is offline   Reply With Quote