Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Women's Health
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2013, 10:31 AM   #931
foxy librarian

Gallery: stargirl21
We just registered for childbirth classes. Wow. It feels so real now. I was able to get in with one of the best natural birth teachers in this area so I'm glad I looked early! The only time they had available was beginning Nov 6 for 4 weeks or Jan 8 for 4 weeks but he'll already be here!!!

This teacher also makes herself available to be your doula so I might see what we think.
stargirl21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-2013, 10:33 AM   #932
Thick and Delicious

Gallery: CARLINI
Stats: 303/252/140
WOE: Eating REAL food
Start Date: 2/14/2004
Andi ~ congrats on a great scan!
Allie ~ if we end up in the hospital, I really want a doula.

I like the name Barnabus. Most everyone is not a fan of the name. Now that we know it's a boy, we need to get serious about narrowing it down to a few names we like. We may not actually name him until he gets here though.

I've been tracking the BH contractions and I had 6 yesterday. I've been drinking a TON of water and I've only had one so far today. I'm just going to keep an eye on it, and call my crappy doctor if it looks like they are starting a pattern.

Baby Boy born 10/11/13

Last edited by CARLINI; 09-11-2013 at 10:35 AM..
CARLINI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 12:23 PM   #933
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Potaty
Stats: 227high/227now/150goal
WOE: LC + Exercise
Start Date: July 2013 (this time, LOL)
Anyone looking to have a medication free delivery, a doula is worth her wait in gold!!! I had one for my 2nd birth and she was awesome! With #3 I knew I could do it so went without and it went even better, but for anyone doing a first time birth, def. hire one!
Potaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 01:35 PM   #934
foxy librarian

I just found out my insurance covers a doula so we'll definitely be getting one. I even found a group of doulas that work exclusively at my hospital!
Old 09-11-2013, 01:36 PM   #935
foxy librarian

Of course now he'll be breech
Old 09-12-2013, 08:21 AM   #936
foxy librarian

Had my 20 week scan this morning. Little man was very shy (again!) so we could not see his face or measure his heart. I have to go back in 2 weeks. Other than that, he looks great

I, however, of course had another high blood pressure reading at the DR. I took it at home right before I left and it was 131/81. When I got there it was 145/95 They retook it after 10 mins and it was back down- 123/85. But they are still making me do the 24 hr urine sample. Blah. I guess I'm glad they are being proactive but what a pain.
Old 09-12-2013, 09:41 AM   #937
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: pocahontas
Alie - It's good they are watching and staying on top of it. These things can turn in a matter of minutes so being proactive is best! My little one was being shy too and my scan was nearly and hour because of it! Baby was up all night and then it just wanted to sleep.
pocahontas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 11:01 AM   #938
Thick and Delicious

Alie, it's good they are taking it seriously.

I called the doctor's office about the BH. They said they're normal, and to head to L&D if I have more than 4 in an hour. I really do think I just have a crabby uterus. I’ve had cramping on and off this entire pregnancy. But still, I will take NO chances with pre-term labor.

While I had them on the phone, I asked about the lack of urine tests at my visits. The MA says they do that at every appt. I said well not for me. I haven't had a single one with this doctor. She really seemed dumbfounded on how that could have happened, and apologized. I'm still toying with dropping this doctor, but some of the other doctors I would like to see are now not accepting any more patients that will deliver in January. We'll see how next Friday's appt goes.

Oh and I had super spicy buffalo wings last night for dinner, and the baby was kicking like crazy!

Last edited by CARLINI; 09-12-2013 at 11:04 AM..
Old 09-12-2013, 11:07 AM   #939
foxy librarian

Thanks ladies. But do y'all know what a 24 hr urine test involves? Peeing into a huge container EVERY time you go to the bathroom for 24 hours.

I am feeling very indifferent about my doctors too. I mean the practice is fine I guess. It is ranked one of the best in DC but I think it because they lead in success for fertility treatments. No one seems on the same page when I see them. I guess that is why I've decided I definitely want a doula now.
Old 09-12-2013, 11:31 AM   #940
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DD80
Stats: 188/165.0/145 5'10"
WOE: Zoneish, Organic, GrassFed, Gluten-Free 5/13
Start Date: 1/10/12 Medi, 2/9/12 First UD, 1/1/13 New Plan
Quote:
Originally Posted by stargirl21 View Post
Thanks ladies. But do y'all know what a 24 hr urine test involves? Peeing into a huge container EVERY time you go to the bathroom for 24 hours.

I am feeling very indifferent about my doctors too. I mean the practice is fine I guess. It is ranked one of the best in DC but I think it because they lead in success for fertility treatments. No one seems on the same page when I see them. I guess that is why I've decided I definitely want a doula now.
I've had to do the 24 hour urine test a few times. Put down a paper towel in the fridge under your urine bag (that's funny to say) and everytime you pee, you just pee in the plastic bowl thing and pour it in. It's annoying, but not too bad.
DD80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 06:25 AM   #941

Gallery: Lori37
Stats: 310/215/180
WOE: Modified low carb
Start Date: 6/1/2010
Quote:
We just registered for childbirth classes. Wow. It feels so real now. I was able to get in with one of the best natural birth teachers in this area so I'm glad I looked early! The only time they had available was beginning Nov 6 for 4 weeks or Jan 8 for 4 weeks but he'll already be here!!!

This teacher also makes herself available to be your doula so I might see what we think.
WTG on going for a natural birth! I loved mine. Doulas are amazing. My goal is to become one by the end of the year. I loved my Doulas!
If you have any questions about Natural birth let me know! I had a water birth in March.
Lori37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 06:28 AM   #942

Gallery: Lori37
Stats: 310/215/180
WOE: Modified low carb
Start Date: 6/1/2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by pocahontas View Post
Hi ladies! Had my anatomy scan and baby is perfect! Baby measured only 3 days ahead which is great, right on target! The tech turned the screen away when she measured the legs/hips, etc so that we didnt have a chance to get a glimpse of the goods. So happy!

Debbie - There are a few women on TCOYF that started getting BH at like 16 wks so I dont think you are too early. Take it easy.
Congrats!
Lori37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 10:26 AM   #943
foxy librarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori37 View Post
WTG on going for a natural birth! I loved mine. Doulas are amazing. My goal is to become one by the end of the year. I loved my Doulas!
If you have any questions about Natural birth let me know! I had a water birth in March.
Wow that is great!!! I'll definitely be asking more questions soon
Old 09-13-2013, 10:37 AM   #944
Thick and Delicious

I'm also planning a natural birth. We wanted to use a birth center, but it's looking like that's not an option because of my blood pressure. I do plan on having a doula at the hospital.
Old 09-13-2013, 11:12 AM   #945
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sutton_02
Stats: 5'8" - Currently 172lbs / Goal of 150lbs
WOE: Paleo/Primal
Quote:
sutton - wow, only 5 wks to go! I was negative for GBS with DS and didnt know much about it anyway so I dont have any advice.
Were you eating the same way then as you do now? I'm really hoping my healthy low carb, high probiotic diet will do the trick. They actually just told me yesterday that they'll be doing the GBS test next week. Geee, thanks for the heads up. I'm going to really shovel in the probiotics (supplements, Greek yogurt, kombucha, and sauerkraut) over the next week. Plus, garlic capsules orally and garlic cloves vaginally. It might be overkill, but again, I just cannot fathom the idea of taking antibiotics during labor.

Quote:
I just found out my insurance covers a doula so we'll definitely be getting one. I even found a group of doulas that work exclusively at my hospital!
I'm jealous that your insurance covers that! What carrier do you have? Did you just have to call and ask them?

Quote:

I think it's a little odd that they are requiring the 24 hour urine test after one high reading, when it came right back down. I've had a couple high readings here and there. They just retake it, and all is good.

I'm also feeling pretty "eh" about my providers. There are now 4 docs and 5 midwives. I could get any of them during labor, but I've only met 4 of them. Not only does this make it very difficult to build rapport, but I hear something different from each one. Get on the same page people! Of course, it's too late to do anything now, and they are very pro-natural birth at a hospital that is very NUCB friendly, so I'll just go with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori37 View Post
WTG on going for a natural birth! I loved mine. Doulas are amazing. My goal is to become one by the end of the year. I loved my Doulas! If you have any questions about Natural birth let me know! I had a water birth in March.
That's very cool that you want to become a doula! And I'm jealous of your water birth!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARLINI View Post
I'm also planning a natural birth. We wanted to use a birth center, but it's looking like that's not an option because of my blood pressure. I do plan on having a doula at the hospital.
That's too bad Debbie. We also wanted to go to a birthing center. Maybe next baby.

It's cool to see so many of you wanting a natural birth. Makes sense, since we are all health conscientious (sp) to begin with.

Last edited by sutton_02; 09-13-2013 at 11:15 AM..
sutton_02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 11:31 AM   #946
foxy librarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sutton_02 View Post

I'm jealous that your insurance covers that! What carrier do you have? Did you just have to call and ask them?
Well I guess I should say it is an "allowable expense." I have a health savings account that both myself and my employer contributes to. It is not a flex spending account and it has been rolling over every year. I barely used any of it before I got pregnant because all routine visits are covered 100%.

So I called and I am allowed to use my funds for a doula, for birthing classes, prenatal yoga, etc. My insurance also covers the rental of a breast pump 100% from the hospital but everyone should have that now. It was part of the affordable care act
Old 09-13-2013, 12:30 PM   #947
Blabbermouth!!!

Lori~I had wanted to be a doula since college, when I took my first childbirth and doula training classes for my degree. I have done it several times for friends/family but never as a paid job. I don't think I will ever make it a career at this point, I can't quite make myself okay with possibly missing things to be called to a birth. Do you know who you want to certify with? DONA is a good one.

After my water birth, I don't think I would ever want a dry birth again. I can't say for me it really helped all that much with contractions, but the crowing was wayyyyyy less intense than my previous birth.
Old 09-14-2013, 08:22 AM   #948
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Suzie
So, I've just been processing things this week, and having a hard time.

On Friday, my sister said she went to the dr. because she wasn't feeling well. I guess they ran blood work. Found HCG, but it was really low. So, they said she was either losing it again (had a miscarriage shortly after I lost Connor), or really early. On Monday, she called me and said the levels had gone up, so they think it looks good. However, they scheduled an u/s for the end of Sept.

She keeps claiming that they aren't trying, but then says well we weren't using anything.

She has two other kids, and a stepson. Their two kids pretty much lived with my parents, spending all the time while they were at work and at least 4 nights at my parents house for the past like 4 years. My mom babysits them for free, and my sister constantly complains when my mom inconveniences her at all. Like wanting a day off.

My sister is awful when she has a newborn. Can. not. handle. life.

Last time there was an infant in the house, my brother in law called me and asked me to go there because he feared she might harm the kids.

I just want to tell her she is an idiot and should have used a condom. Of course I didn't.

I am really hurt and it pisses me off that they are pregnant and we are trying and it isn't happening.

*sorry, end rant*

http://suziesnewnormal.blogspot.com/
Suzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 02:54 PM   #949

Gallery: suzanneyea
Stats: 156/124/120
WOE: Vlc
It baffles me when some people have kids, they obviously do not like it. And it s fine to not like it, it is a lot of work. But, stop at one! The second one won't be any easier!
suzanneyea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 08:25 AM   #950
foxy librarian

(((Suzie))) I can't imagine how unfair that must feel
Old 09-16-2013, 09:28 AM   #951
Major LCF Poster!

Stepping in here very cautiously...

I got a positive test this weekend! I think I'm still before when I should get my period (I think Wed - Thurs) if my cycles went back to normal, so very early, but yay! Extra enjoying all my food and that it actually sounds good right now - basically enjoying the honeymoon period! I'm lying, begging, stealing, hoping and for less MS this time...but, I'll deal with whatever comes.

Old 09-16-2013, 09:30 AM   #952
foxy librarian

Oh my goodness that is wonderful news!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-16-2013, 10:05 AM   #953

Suzie - I never can understand why some choose to have more children when they clearly don't enjoy it. I am sorry you are dealing with this.

DD80 - Wow, you must have caught the first egg post m/c! CONGRATS!!! Praying for a sticky bean.

Not much to report here. Have my next doc appt on Wed. I stepped on the scale, still no weight gain though on any given day I seem to fluctuate about 3 lbs. Baby is getting stronger and I can actually see the outside of my belly moving with the kicks and punches now. DH was out of town over the weekend so I got to spend some alone time with DS. I took him to the park to ride his tricycle and play and we watched Dinosaur Train together and took naps together. Lots of playing! He is very active and loves baseball. It was nice.

Old 09-16-2013, 10:14 AM   #954
Blabbermouth!!!

Suzie

DD80~Congrats! Enjoy that food!

Andi~That sounds like a nice weekend, I miss the days of napping kids!

I will be 8 wks tomorrow, first appt is on Friday. I am nervous.
Old 09-16-2013, 10:24 AM   #955
Thick and Delicious

Wow DD that was fast!! Congrats.
Old 09-16-2013, 10:26 AM   #956
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks everyone! I know...very quick! Doc said we could start trying right away...and we weren't trying, but not preventing either (since I didn't know when I was ovulating). Very lucky and we are happy! I'm over the moon - I can't believe it.

Andi - is it weird to see the punches and stuff? Exciting, but strange?

Potaty, good luck on your appointment! You will do great!

Last edited by DD80; 09-16-2013 at 10:27 AM..
Old 09-16-2013, 10:42 AM   #957
foxy librarian

I have gotten my diet under control a bit. I went out this weekend and spent a ton of money on healthy foods to pack and cook. At my appt last week I was up 2 lbs from my appt a month ago. Not too bad but I gained more than I wanted my first trimester. I had the opposite of MS lol
Old 09-16-2013, 11:48 AM   #958
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I have gotten my diet under control a bit. I went out this weekend and spent a ton of money on healthy foods to pack and cook. At my appt last week I was up 2 lbs from my appt a month ago. Not too bad but I gained more than I wanted my first trimester. I had the opposite of MS lol
I'm jealous. Glad you got it under control. It's not easy!
Old 09-16-2013, 11:57 AM   #959

Allie -

DD80 - It is weird to watch. When I was pregnant with DS, this all came much later. Or I was just totally oblivious to it all since he was my first. It gets even weirder towards the end though when they are really big!
Old 09-16-2013, 12:09 PM   #960
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Allie -

DD80 - It is weird to watch. When I was pregnant with DS, this all came much later. Or I was just totally oblivious to it all since he was my first. It gets even weirder towards the end though when they are really big!
Yeah, if I ever see a hand show through my belly, I might freak out. It's cool and exciting, but totally strange at the same time. Of course, to me, the whole pregnancy thing is strange - I mean, growing a human? It's so sci-fi.