Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Women's Health
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2013, 08:05 AM   #901
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Macc0021
Stats: Pregnant - trying to keep gains at a minimum! :)
WOE: wheat allergy + low carb + pregnant!
Start Date: Every day!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CARLINI View Post
It's a BOY!!
Congratulations! How exciting!!
Macc0021 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-2013, 08:05 AM   #902
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzanneyea View Post
Not a single one. I only ate meat, vegetables, and cheese during the pregnancy. I kept James on meat and cheese the first year, plus nursing. Then added in fruit.
About a month ago I noticed he really wanted other foods. If I said no, he wanted it more. I am afraid if I restrict him, he will only want it more. The first week he wanted all the bread and junk. But, now that it is always available, he really does not care. Eats mostly meat, fruit, and cheese. Oh, he loves nuts.
Good to know. I feel like that is how I would do it as well.
Old 09-07-2013, 08:15 AM   #903
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Potaty
Stats: 227high/227now/150goal
WOE: LC + Exercise
Start Date: July 2013 (this time, LOL)
Congrats Debbie!!!!! Mom's instinct was right! Boys are so great!
Potaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 08:48 AM   #904
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: pocahontas
Congrats Debbie! Little boys are so much fun!

Suzanne - I took a similar approach with DS when we introduced solids and he still gravitates towards meat, veggies and fruits over grains and junk. He loves nuts too! I dont restrict anything but we only buy whole grain crackers and bread at home so we dont keep junk around at all, if he has it, it's when we are out and about. He asked for ice cream a couple weeks ago and we took him for fro yo. He also had pizza and birthday cake at a friends party last week. I am fine with it in moderation. I dont ever want there to be food issues so I think if he eats well at home which is 90% of the time, then we are doing great.

Lots of baby movement here and we took DS to a neighborhood festival to ride the ponies and my back was killing me with all the walking. I probably need to get some more supportive shoes for this stuff. I am only 22 wks, I cant be feeling like this yet!

pocahontas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 08:59 AM   #905

Gallery: suzanneyea
Stats: 156/124/120
WOE: Vlc
There is a mom who is zero carb, keeps her kids zero carb too. People have stopped inviting them to parties and play dates cause they find it so odd. I did not want that to be the case with James. Plus, I could never be so controlling about another persons food choices, even a child.
suzanneyea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 01:10 PM   #906

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzanneyea View Post
There is a mom who is zero carb, keeps her kids zero carb too. People have stopped inviting them to parties and play dates cause they find it so odd. I did not want that to be the case with James. Plus, I could never be so controlling about another persons food choices, even a child.
That is sad!
Old 09-08-2013, 02:04 PM   #907
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sutton_02
Stats: 5'8" - Currently 172lbs / Goal of 150lbs
WOE: Paleo/Primal
Yaaaaay, a boy!!!!!! Congratulations!!!!!!!
sutton_02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 04:22 PM   #908
foxy librarian

Gallery: stargirl21
Quote:
Originally Posted by CARLINI View Post
It's a BOY!!
Yay!!! Another boy! Congrats
stargirl21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 05:07 PM   #909

Gallery: Lori37
Stats: 310/215/180
WOE: Modified low carb
Start Date: 6/1/2010
So many new people in here! I wish I had time to catch up!

Carlini congrats on the boy!
Lori37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:11 AM   #910
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DD80
Stats: 188/165.0/145 5'10"
WOE: Organic GrassFed Gluten-Free 5/13 Dairy Free 2/14
Start Date: 1/10/12 Medi, 2/9/12 First UD, 1/1/13 New Plan
carlini!!
DD80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 10:02 AM   #911
foxy librarian

How was everyone's weekend? We went to an out of town wedding. It was lovely but I am exhausted today.

I feel like I've really popped over the last couple of days. Especially today. I actually feel like I look pregnant. Not like I just came from the buffet.
Old 09-09-2013, 10:16 AM   #912

Quote:
Originally Posted by stargirl21 View Post
I feel like I've really popped over the last couple of days. Especially today. I actually feel like I look pregnant. Not like I just came from the buffet.
I popped early with this one, like 16 or 17 wks, now there is no denying it! I am tall though so with DS I didnt pop until like 22 or 24 wks. I hate the "buffet" look, so glad it didnt last as long this time!
Old 09-09-2013, 02:21 PM   #913

Sharon, Debbie (and others), I have an update on my leave situation.

I spoke with our HR rep and since the company does not qualify for FMLA, there are no specific laws in place as to recovery of benefits. She said, it would really be at the company's discretion. Boo! Not much help.

I will have roughly 4 wks of PTO on the books by the time I go out so the plan right now is to take 3wks before my disability kicks in and leave 1 wk on the table. If they want to charge back the premiums from my time on disability, they can take it from the PTO balance they owe me or best case scenario, they pay me out and don't say a word about the premiums! At least we will have that week of earnings there to offset the expense should they attempt to recover. It's a calculated risk but one DH and I are both comfy with.

We were not happy with the potential outcomes of either burning through all my PTO before going on disability or leaving it all on the table. I think this is a nice compromise and protects us as much as we can hope for.

I will still get 14wks paid disability through the State of CA but I will likely give notice at 8 wks out to minimize the the potential premium balance owed.
Old 09-10-2013, 08:19 AM   #914
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocahontas View Post
Sharon, Debbie (and others), I have an update on my leave situation.

I spoke with our HR rep and since the company does not qualify for FMLA, there are no specific laws in place as to recovery of benefits. She said, it would really be at the company's discretion. Boo! Not much help.

I will have roughly 4 wks of PTO on the books by the time I go out so the plan right now is to take 3wks before my disability kicks in and leave 1 wk on the table. If they want to charge back the premiums from my time on disability, they can take it from the PTO balance they owe me or best case scenario, they pay me out and don't say a word about the premiums! At least we will have that week of earnings there to offset the expense should they attempt to recover. It's a calculated risk but one DH and I are both comfy with.

We were not happy with the potential outcomes of either burning through all my PTO before going on disability or leaving it all on the table. I think this is a nice compromise and protects us as much as we can hope for.

I will still get 14wks paid disability through the State of CA but I will likely give notice at 8 wks out to minimize the the potential premium balance owed.
I think that sounds like a good deal. In AZ, I get unpaid FMLA for 12 weeks. I only get short term disability if I have a problem during pregnancy.
Old 09-10-2013, 10:58 AM   #915
Thick and Delicious

Gallery: CARLINI
Stats: 303/252/140
WOE: Eating REAL food
Start Date: 2/14/2004
Andi ~ sounds like a good plan.

DH and I ventured out to the baby store this weekend and were completely overwhelmed by the shear amount of stuff!! I have no idea what I *really* need and what is a waste of money. I plan on asking my SIL for help. I don't mind buying a few "fun" items, but I don't want to waste money on things we won't need.

I did an unusual amout of walking this weekend, and it was hot out, and had Braxton hicks contractions on Sunday. At least that's what I think they were. My whole stomach tightened up, and got hard. Yesterday I took the day off work and drank tons of water and put my feet up. I had one or two last night, but nothing since then. Very scary. And it seems like it's too early for BH. Hopefully it was just because I overdid the activity, and was dehydrated from the stomach thing I had last week.

Baby Boy born 10/11/13

Last edited by CARLINI; 09-10-2013 at 10:59 AM..
CARLINI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 01:03 PM   #916

Hi ladies! Had my anatomy scan and baby is perfect! Baby measured only 3 days ahead which is great, right on target! The tech turned the screen away when she measured the legs/hips, etc so that we didnt have a chance to get a glimpse of the goods. So happy!

Debbie - There are a few women on TCOYF that started getting BH at like 16 wks so I dont think you are too early. Take it easy.
Old 09-10-2013, 01:15 PM   #917
Senior LCF Member

Andi - that sounds like a good plan. I'm a little nervous about this now, because as I was completing my leave paperwork, there was a very obvious paragraph about repaying the company's portion of the premiums should I not return for non-medical reasons. Hopefully they will not pursue that.

Congrats on the great anatomy scan!!

Debbie - Yes, there is so much baby stuff out there, it can be really hard to discern between essentials and non-essentials. I am trying to take a minimalist approach because I don't want my house overrun with stuff that will only be used for a few months. I figure if I'm missing anything, I'll realize it once I'm in the trenches and just get it then.

Your theory and solution for the Braxton Hicks sound about right. I don't think you should be concerned that you're getting them so early. From what I've read, some women get them much earlier than others.

AFM - We'll be 33 weeks on Thursday, leaving about 5 weeks until my 38 week goal. 5 WEEKS!?! I've started weekly BPPs with my perinatologist, weekly appointments with my OBs/midwives, and weekly trips to the chiropractor to try to get the second baby to turn head down. With all these appointments, it's a good thing I'm already on leave.

I am feeling so pregnant now. I can't get or stay comfortable. Half the time it feels like I've been kicked in the crotch (SPD - Symphysis Pubis Dysfunction). I'm not complaining though, and will happily take the discomfort for 5 more weeks or more, if it means big healthy babies. I guess this is all to be expected with over 9lbs of baby in me.

I've gotten a little loose with diet lately. I'm pretty good a majority of the time, but have been allowing too many occasional treats, like gelato and froyo. I stay away from gluten like the plague, so at least I haven't fallen too far off, but I need to cut out the unnecessary sugar. Funnily enough, even with these occasional indiscretions, I still haven't gained any weight in the past 4 weeks. Hopefully, I'm not losing muscle and gaining fat.

Last edited by sutton_02; 09-10-2013 at 01:17 PM..
Old 09-10-2013, 02:14 PM   #918
Blabbermouth!!!

Debbie~I agree with the others, you are at about the point to notice BH but you are right, drinking more water can help them chill out a bit.

Andi~Glad baby looks healthy! I am strangely so excited to let this one be a surprise, it goes against my personality so much and I think that's good for me as I can be a bit, um, controlling, LOL.

Sutton~Oh, I feel for you! SPD is the worst!!!! I have had it with all of my pregnancies and it is so excruciating! I would literally have to lift and move my legs to walk with my first son. I worked as a massage therapist throughout all of my other pregnancies (stopped working all together in July) so it was really difficult.

My diet is still less than stellar. Not terrible, but definitely not what it should be. I really need to buckle down. A week and a half until my first appt, feeling a little nervous about how things are progressing.
Old 09-10-2013, 02:28 PM   #919
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD80 View Post
I think that sounds like a good deal. In AZ, I get unpaid FMLA for 12 weeks. I only get short term disability if I have a problem during pregnancy.
I just started looking into this... we have to take vacation or sick time the first week out, then we have a Salary Continuation program that kicks in. They cover 6 weeks at 100% of my salary, then I have the option for another 19 weeks at 70% of my salary. I thought that sounded pretty great, but I don't think I would take all 26 weeks?? If you have a c-section, you get 2 additional weeks covered at 100% of salary.
Old 09-10-2013, 05:28 PM   #920
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macc0021 View Post
I just started looking into this... we have to take vacation or sick time the first week out, then we have a Salary Continuation program that kicks in. They cover 6 weeks at 100% of my salary, then I have the option for another 19 weeks at 70% of my salary. I thought that sounded pretty great, but I don't think I would take all 26 weeks?? If you have a c-section, you get 2 additional weeks covered at 100% of salary.
Sounds great to me! I wish we had something like it. 26 weeks is a long time, but it might be worth it. I think about breast feeding and how much easier it would be if I were home. I do not look forward to pumping at work... I pay for Short Term Disability, but it doesn't count for just plain ol' materity leave. I could take my leave time during my FMLA, but not sure if I want to do that. If I do, I might take it half time and try to spread it out.

Last edited by DD80; 09-10-2013 at 05:29 PM..
Old 09-10-2013, 05:48 PM   #921
foxy librarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macc0021 View Post
Wow that is amazing coverage! Is that a state thing or your company? Or do you live in Canada lol. I'm super jealous.

Andi- I'm glad you found a plan you are comfortable with. I think you are playing it safe. And yay for a good scan!

Debbie- that sounds normal to me but I don't blame you for being anxious about it. I haven't experienced any yet myself.

Sutton- sounds like you are doing great! 5 weeks. Wow! That is going to go fast.

I have my 20 week scan Thursday. I can't wait to see my little guy.
Old 09-10-2013, 05:57 PM   #922
foxy librarian

We decided on a name it was hard at first bc there were names I absolutely adore but my husband didn't, and vice versa. It was looking like we'd be settling on something but all if a sudden a name came out of nowhere and we both just looked at each other and knew that was the name. I'm so happy! We've decided to wait to tell friends until he's born but told our family and they absolutely love it too. Not like I would have changed it for them but it helped us really be sure it was the right one. A lot of our family wasn't too keen on our girls name and that bothered me
Old 09-10-2013, 07:50 PM   #923
Blabbermouth!!!

Stargirl~Name are so hard! My husband never has any suggestions and then he vetoes everything I come up with. We always kept our names a secret because we didn't want anyone's opinion to sway us. We also usually pick 2 names and then choose once we see them. Our youngest's options were Austen Grey or Augustus (August or Gus for short) and after we announced his name, my sister (pretty much the only person I divulged the name options to) told my mom, "Thank God they didn't name him Augustus, it hideous!" LOL, I still give her crap about it and I still think the name is awesome even though we didn't use it.
Old 09-10-2013, 08:05 PM   #924
foxy librarian

I LOVE the name Augustus! It is in my family and I'd use it in a heartbeat.

Before we found out it was a boy, we were pretty excited about the girls name we chose- Eleanor. My DH really wanted to tell his mom even though I was hesitant. Well of course she made a terrible face and said it was "different." We were both pretty mad.
Old 09-11-2013, 06:29 AM   #925
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stargirl21 View Post
Wow that is amazing coverage! Is that a state thing or your company? Or do you live in Canada lol. I'm super jealous.

Andi- I'm glad you found a plan you are comfortable with. I think you are playing it safe. And yay for a good scan!

Debbie- that sounds normal to me but I don't blame you for being anxious about it. I haven't experienced any yet myself.

Sutton- sounds like you are doing great! 5 weeks. Wow! That is going to go fast.

I have my 20 week scan Thursday. I can't wait to see my little guy.

It is just through my company.
Old 09-11-2013, 06:30 AM   #926
Senior LCF Member

The problem is that my husband makes about half what I do... so I think we would have to save up if I were to take a lot of time at 70% of my salary. I think we could do it financially, but it would be tight...
Old 09-11-2013, 06:33 AM   #927
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potaty View Post
Stargirl~Name are so hard! My husband never has any suggestions and then he vetoes everything I come up with. We always kept our names a secret because we didn't want anyone's opinion to sway us. We also usually pick 2 names and then choose once we see them. Our youngest's options were Austen Grey or Augustus (August or Gus for short) and after we announced his name, my sister (pretty much the only person I divulged the name options to) told my mom, "Thank God they didn't name him Augustus, it hideous!" LOL, I still give her crap about it and I still think the name is awesome even though we didn't use it.
My friend just named their baby Augustus -- Auggie for short I love it!! (he was not born in August or anything)
Old 09-11-2013, 06:34 AM   #928
Senior LCF Member

My husband and I decided on names we loved a long time ago -- Jack for a boy, Jane for a girl (but not both of them if we have a boy and girl )

Jack is in our family, and Jane is just one we both love.
Old 09-11-2013, 09:03 AM   #929
Senior LCF Member

We're keeping our names to ourselves until they're born. It drives people insane.

I just thought of a great motivator to get strict with my diet. Upcoming GBS test in 3 weeks. I hate idea of taking antibiotics during labor and not giving my babies the precious good bacteria they need. Besides a zero sugar diet, I'll up my Greek yogurt, and may even try the garlic clove suppository for a week prior. Any of you want to chime in with opinions on diet's effect on GBS? Any first hand experience?
Old 09-11-2013, 10:25 AM   #930

Macc - Those are phenomenal bene's! In CA, we get 55% of our salary (up to a max, which BTW, isn't 55% of my salary ) for up to 18wks. My company does pay for an STD program that will supplement the difference and an additional 5% so we end up with 60%. There is a 1 wk waiting period for the disability to kick in for which we can take PTO.

sutton - wow, only 5 wks to go! I was negative for GBS with DS and didnt know much about it anyway so I dont have any advice.

We have names picked out too but we don't share.