Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2013, 02:44 PM   #811
Thick and Delicious

Gallery: CARLINI
Stats: 303/252/140
WOE: Eating REAL food
Start Date: 2/14/2004
I need opinions. My BP at the last appointment was 145/95 and the appointment before that was 140/80. I also gained 13 pounds in 3 weeks. My doctor wasn't concerned about either of these things, but that blood pressure seems high, no?
CARLINI is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-2013, 03:23 PM   #812
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sutton_02
Stats: 5'8" - Currently 172lbs / Goal of 150lbs
WOE: Paleo/Primal
Could it be white coat syndrome? I would go check your BP yourself at a pharmacy. My BP is always high at my regular OB, where they rush me back, weigh me, then check my BP. However, at my peri's office, it's very mellow, and they don't check my BP until the end of the appointment. It's always normal then.

Regarding the 13 pounds, have you increased your carbs, therefore leading to water weight gain?

I'd check your BP, then go from there. If it's still high, I'd push the issue with your doc.
sutton_02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 05:00 PM   #813
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DD80
Stats: 188/165.0/145 5'10"
WOE: Zoneish, Organic, GrassFed, Gluten-Free 5/13
Start Date: 1/10/12 Medi, 2/9/12 First UD, 1/1/13 New Plan
Carlini - perhaps thyroid? I've read that some women can turn hypo during pregnancy. I know when mine was off blood pressure went up and retained more water. I'd ask for a complete blood panel. You don't want your thyroid off during pregnancy.
DD80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 06:55 PM   #814
foxy librarian

Gallery: stargirl21
Shana- I'm so sorry

DD80- how are you feeling?

Debbie- my doctor has not said one word about my weight or my BP. I think the bottom # is what they are most concerned about and yours are still in the normal range.

Going back to work is exhausting. I give you ladies so much credit for working through your first trimester! I was planning to work until my due date but now I'm not so sure lol
stargirl21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 07:37 AM   #815
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DD80
Stats: 188/165.0/145 5'10"
WOE: Zoneish, Organic, GrassFed, Gluten-Free 5/13
Start Date: 1/10/12 Medi, 2/9/12 First UD, 1/1/13 New Plan
Quote:
Originally Posted by stargirl21 View Post
Shana- I'm so sorry

DD80- how are you feeling?

Debbie- my doctor has not said one word about my weight or my BP. I think the bottom # is what they are most concerned about and yours are still in the normal range.

Going back to work is exhausting. I give you ladies so much credit for working through your first trimester! I was planning to work until my due date but now I'm not so sure lol
I'm ok. Not sure if everything is "done" but we will see next week. I think I have a cold now - my immune system seems a little wonky... But, thank you for asking!

How are you? I was exhausted too - I have a friend who is almost due with her first and she had no MS, no tireness, didn't show until like 6 months, and is the cutest pregnant lady ever...I am so jealous of her.
DD80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 07:48 AM   #816
Thick and Delicious

Thanks everyone. I checked my BP at home several times yesterday, and the bottom number is always between 95-99. I canít believe Iím having BP issues already. Iím sure the fact that Iím anxious since day one with this pregnancy doesnít help.
Old 08-27-2013, 10:01 AM   #817
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: pocahontas
Debbie - I hate to say it but that is really high. Im shocked thatyour doc didnt mention it. My BP got up to 142/95 and I ended up delivering DS via c-sect at 38 wks because of it (and the swelling, though I tested neg for pre-e). My BP with DS was borderline high from the get go, 135/80 but it remained steady until I got to about 36 wks. My best advice is to watch your carbs, they play a big role in my BP. Also, get plenty of exercise, I walked a couple miles daily and that helped keep it under control. Stay hydrated too! Make sure you are drinking plenty of water and not much else. It's unfortunate, I know, but you can help maintain it and hopefully reduce it a bit so you can avoid meds. Another thing, if they are taking your BP right at the beginning of your appt, have them take it again just before you leave. You could be experiencing a little bit of white coat syndrome which is normal.

Last edited by pocahontas; 08-27-2013 at 10:06 AM..
pocahontas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 11:10 AM   #818
Thick and Delicious

I have a low tolerance for the medical profession as is, which is why I wanted to go to the birth center with a midwife. If my OB can't recognize my BP is high, how can I have any faith in him delivering the baby? Do you guys think its okay to go several weeks while trying to change diet/exercise before I call asking for drugs? I'm just so nervous right now. My BP has never run this high in my life, and I don't want to lose the baby because of this.
Old 08-27-2013, 12:01 PM   #819

Debbie, you will be fine. The baby will be fine, that bub is super protected in there! Up the exercise and lower the carbs. Those changes alone make a difference in my BP rather quickly. Keep checking it yourself and if you don't see a noticeable difference after a week or two, I would call your doc and let him know your concerns and ask why he didn't have any. Keep a chart of your readings to show him. If anything, it will educate him too! I am so frustrated that he didn't show any concern for that.

My last OB was at a top 10 hospital with several years of experience and nearly everything she told me came true, seriously, it was kinda freaky. I hated her at first too because she was so militant but in the end I realized that she took it very seriously and she was one smart cookie. She always returned my phone calls and always took the proper precautions and steps for me. I trusted her very much and a BP that high had her majorly concerned. I wish I was still in SD to be in her care because my current OB is not nearly as thorough and only monitors my BP because of my history and because I ask every.single.time. You are your only advocate sometimes, sad but true!

Don't be worried if you do have to go on meds. Do you remember Amber (I think her screen name was wifey?) that used to frequent this site? She had high BP with all of her pregnancies and could only control it with meds. Her kids are all happy, healthy and she is now expecting #4! It's not the end of the world but I do suggest making lifestyle changes first because they worked for me and they make work for you. I hate taking meds.

Last edited by pocahontas; 08-27-2013 at 12:09 PM..
Old 08-27-2013, 12:28 PM   #820
Thick and Delicious

Thanks Andi. I know you can tell I'm panicking. I'm going to follow your advice on diet, exercise and monitoring. Thanks for making me feel better.
Old 08-27-2013, 12:36 PM   #821
foxy librarian

That is a little high I would also suggest cutting your salt intake and eating more sources of potassium (bananas and watermelon).

My high BP was anxiety induced. Even when I took it at home. I would have to take it right after I woke up in the morning to get an accurate reading. I would make some health changes and continue to monitor it at home for a couple of weeks.
Old 08-27-2013, 12:36 PM   #822

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARLINI View Post
Thanks Andi. I know you can tell I'm panicking. I'm going to follow your advice on diet, exercise and monitoring. Thanks for making me feel better.
Of course! BTDT, so I know how you are feeling.
Old 08-27-2013, 02:31 PM   #823
Senior LCF Member

Yeah, I agree with Andi on this. If your at-home reading was high, then it's obviously not white coat syndrome. On top of Andi's suggestions to cut carbs and stay active, I'd also try to squeeze in some relaxation, such as deep breathing, meditation, yoga, or just relaxing in an epsom salt bath. Also, dark chocolate (85% if you can tolerate it) is supposed to lower blood pressure. I'd also make sure you're getting plenty of fish oil. Hopefully you can get it down yourself before your next appointment!

Last edited by sutton_02; 08-27-2013 at 02:34 PM..
Old 08-27-2013, 07:07 PM   #824
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Potaty
Stats: 227high/227now/150goal
WOE: LC + Exercise
Start Date: July 2013 (this time, LOL)
Debbie~One of the best things you can do for pregnancy related hbp is take 300 mg of magnesium citrate daily.
Potaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 07:11 PM   #825
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Potaty
Stats: 227high/227now/150goal
WOE: LC + Exercise
Start Date: July 2013 (this time, LOL)
I am 5 wks today and nauseous. I have been doing good with my eating but my exercise has been put on the back burner this week as my whole family (including me) have terrible summer colds.

I know this sounds terrible, but part of me wants to have a hospital birth this time so I can rest for 2-3 days without worrying about dishes, laundry, bedtime routines, etc. My husband would really like another home birth and we probably will go that route, but the mini-vacation sounds kind of nice
Potaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 06:02 AM   #826
Senior LCF Member

Potaty - you can't pawn all that off to someone else for a few days, and get a mini vacay at home? Best of both worlds! I'm wanting to get out of the hospital ASAP, but I don't already have little ones at home. Plus I'm a naive FTM.
Old 08-28-2013, 06:05 AM   #827
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: dazygyrl
Quote:
I have a low tolerance for the medical profession as is, which is why I wanted to go to the birth center with a midwife. If my OB can't recognize my BP is high, how can I have any faith in him delivering the baby? Do you guys think its okay to go several weeks while trying to change diet/exercise before I call asking for drugs? I'm just so nervous right now. My BP has never run this high in my life, and I don't want to lose the baby because of this.
Hi there....I am a total lurker on the thread. As a former OB nurse, I love watching all you ladies' journeys so I live vicariously by reading this thread. I couldn't not say something here. Please press your OB for continued monitoring. Is there any way you can find out your baseline, initial BP reading? If your top number has increased >30 points and bottom number >10-15 points, thAt is significant. Also, do you have any swelling in hands/face? What is the protein level in your urine? If you don't have faith in your OB, you can monitor these thing yourself at home. You can buy protein sticks to test your urine at home and it sounds as tho you have a BP machine. I say all this from experience, as i had severe preeclampsia leading to early delivery at 33wks with my first. My BP started to go up at 16wks. I was on bed rest by 28wks. I do not want to scare you, but do want to encourage to take a proactive approach with your OB. He works for you, and if you are not pleased, then you have a right to demand further testing, etc.

BP and urine protein are the best ways to monitor for preeclampsia at home. and things you can monitor more often than seeing your OB once a month.

Forgive me if I am out of line, I know your don't know me, but as one mom to another, I couldn't not say something, ya know?

I pray you continue to have a healthy enjoyable pregnancy. Best of luck to you....and all of you ladies.
dazygyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 07:40 AM   #828
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Macc0021
Stats: Pregnant - trying to keep gains at a minimum! :)
WOE: wheat allergy + low carb + pregnant!
Start Date: Every day!
Hello ladies! I have been reading up on all of your posts, and wanted to pop in and say hi! I originally came into this thread looking at ketosis and pregnancy, since I have a wheat allergy and eat low carb, but now I am really intrigued in all of your stories!!!!

My husband and I are going to try to conceive in a couple months, and I am just getting anxious and excited about it!!!

I would love to be a part of this thread once we do officially start -- we are going on vacation in the end of November and want to wait until after that for sure. I need to learn all of your lingo and acronyms!!

Anyways, just wanted to officially say HELLO!!!

Keep your eyes on the stars, and your feet on the ground.

In general, mankind, since the improvement of cookery, eats twice as much as nature requires.
Macc0021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 09:20 AM   #829

Carlini - Yes, take your supps too! I take a prental, 1 TBS CLO and a cal/mag supp each night before bed.

Potaty - Sounds like DH needs to take a week or so off then to cover all that day to day business for you.

dazygyrl - Thanks for your input, excellent stuff!

Macc0021! This is a wonderfully supportive group. Jump right in!
Old 08-28-2013, 10:05 AM   #830
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Happycat21
Stats: Ugh. Can't use the "new baby" excuse anymore!
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: every day
Carlini-you should at the very least ask to get a 24 hour urine test done to get a baseline. It's a PIA, but it's a better measure of the protein in your urine than the the dip stick they do at your appointments. My blood pressure was a bit high with DS#1 (the bottom numer would sometimes go over 80), so they had me to that test (you basically collect ALL your urine for a 24 hour period and have to keep it refridgerated) and then go in for a blood draw when you drop it off at the lab. They did it a second time too for me and my numbers didn't change, so they never diagnosed me with pre-e. But, it's better to be safe than sorry because pre-e can quickly turn into eclampsia which can be very dangerous for you and the baby. (Not trying to worry you....but just giving you my experience.) Oddly enough, with baby #2 where I was taking Metformin, my blood pressure was always 120/70. Never had to do that crazy 24 hour urine test. I just can't believe your doctor isn't concerned, that's all. But I also agree on taking the magnesium, and getting exercise and I fully believe in keeping blood sugar under control becasuse essentially, that's what the Metformin was doing for me with baby #2.

Our baby boys that we waited so long for. They are 359 days apart!

Sharon
Happycat21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 10:09 AM   #831
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Happycat21
Stats: Ugh. Can't use the "new baby" excuse anymore!
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: every day
By the way, my dip stick tests NEVER registered any protein at the dr visits. The 24 hour test however did.
Happycat21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 10:33 AM   #832
Thick and Delicious

Thanks so much everyone for your advice. My BP was 138/97 upon getting up this morning. I called the doctor and they want me on a low dose BP medication. They said if Iíve been taking it at home and it's high, it's time to medicate. I'm still open to giving it a few weeks with diet/exercise changes to see if it comes down, and then take the meds if needed. After all, my doctor was willing to let me go for another 3.5 weeks until my next appt. My diet has been horrible, and I have to believe that is playing a role in this.

Baby Boy born 10/11/13
Old 08-28-2013, 04:17 PM   #833

(((Debbie))) - I am a firm believer that diet plays a role in it too. At the very least, you will know in your heart that you did all you could. Take those meds if you need them though! High BP is nothing to mess with. Keep us posted!

Ive been regularly feeling baby movement which is nice. It used to be just bouts here and there and very light. Baby must be growing and getting stronger! I told DS that Mama had a baby in her belly and he said "I want it!" and pinched my belly a few times. He thought I was hiding it from him.
Old 08-28-2013, 05:36 PM   #834
foxy librarian

(((Debbie))) I personally would give it a few weeks of those changes and see how that works. Are you get any high blood pressure side effects like headaches?

Things are ok on my end. Just very tired. Looking forward to my long weekend. I am really starting to feel baby move and its very cool
Old 08-29-2013, 06:56 AM   #835
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Thanks so much everyone for your advice. My BP was 138/97 upon getting up this morning. I called the doctor and they want me on a low dose BP medication. They said if Iíve been taking it at home and it's high, it's time to medicate. I'm still open to giving it a few weeks with diet/exercise changes to see if it comes down, and then take the meds if needed. After all, my doctor was willing to let me go for another 3.5 weeks until my next appt. My diet has been horrible, and I have to believe that is playing a role in this.
i totally understand you not wanting to jump right into meds, but potential pre-eclampsia is not something to mess with. do you know what your urine protein is? and you have no swelling, correct? as long as the only change is the continued higher BP, with normal protein levels and no swelling, then it is possible that diet/exercise will help, but if all three components are changing (bp, urine protein, swelling), then diet will not lower your BP. again, my apologies if i'm overstepping...
Old 08-29-2013, 09:08 AM   #836
Thick and Delicious

I forgot to mention I spoke with the midwife from the birth center yesterday. She said there are two types of pregnancy hypertension Ė Caused by lifestyle, or caused by the pregnancy. The second needs to be medically managed. For me to find out which camp Iím in, she suggested two weeks of lifestyle changes (and we discussed what those are at length). Also everything I read states that bringing down BP wonít prevent pre-eclampsia, since high BP is a symptom of the disease, and not the problem itself. My doctor won't do the urine protein test yet because pre-eclampsia rarely develops before 20 weeks. I have PCOS, and I do strongly feel that out of control blood sugar could be at play here. Iím comfortable with my decision to put off meds for a few weeks.

I feel better today. I took some time to de-stress last night, and actually got a full night of sleep. I did not have any sugar yesterday, so Iím feeling the effects of detox a little. The baby moves some everyday, and itís really cool.
Old 08-29-2013, 11:32 AM   #837
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
I forgot to mention I spoke with the midwife from the birth center yesterday. She said there are two types of pregnancy hypertension Ė Caused by lifestyle, or caused by the pregnancy. The second needs to be medically managed. For me to find out which camp Iím in, she suggested two weeks of lifestyle changes (and we discussed what those are at length). Also everything I read states that bringing down BP wonít prevent pre-eclampsia, since high BP is a symptom of the disease, and not the problem itself. My doctor won't do the urine protein test yet because pre-eclampsia rarely develops before 20 weeks. I have PCOS, and I do strongly feel that out of control blood sugar could be at play here. Iím comfortable with my decision to put off meds for a few weeks.

I feel better today. I took some time to de-stress last night, and actually got a full night of sleep. I did not have any sugar yesterday, so Iím feeling the effects of detox a little. The baby moves some everyday, and itís really cool.
i think i like your midwife better than your dr. i'm surprised your doc doesn't do a simple protein check of urine. all it is a stick like a ketostick that picks up protein in the urine. mine always checked urine with every checkup from my first appts, that's how my impending pre-eclampsia was discovered along with my ever creeping BP, b/c my proteinuria was showing up very early.

i'm so glad you are feeling better!! feeling baby move is simply the most amazing feeling ever and is the thing i miss the most. my baby will be 9 in october.
Old 08-29-2013, 11:36 AM   #838

That is great Debbie! I will send positive thoughts that the lifestyle changes turn things around for you. Keep us posted!

The Bay Bridge is closed today and tomorrow so I am working from home in my jammies. Im going to make some shrimp & goat cheese stuffed poblano's for dinner, along with some black beans. It's amazing how much I can get done without losing so much time due to my commute to and from the city.
Old 08-29-2013, 11:53 AM   #839
foxy librarian

Yeah that is strange they didn't check your urine. At my office you give a urine sample at the beginning of every appt no matter what you are there for.
Old 08-29-2013, 12:05 PM   #840

I have to pee in a cup at every appt too!