Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Women's Health
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2013, 07:30 AM   #481
foxy librarian

Gallery: stargirl21
Is anyone else worried at all about having so many ultrasounds? I am starting to get uneasy about how many my doc wants to do. I have my NT scan on the 22nd and aside from the 20 week sonogram I really don't want anymore. They have the same practice of having an ultrasound if they can't find the heartbeat on the doppler. And I really don't want it.
stargirl21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-2013, 07:35 AM   #482
foxy librarian

There are a lot of doctors and midwives now researching the link between ultrasounds and autism.
Old 07-12-2013, 08:38 AM   #483
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Suzie
Quote:
Originally Posted by stargirl21 View Post
Is anyone else worried at all about having so many ultrasounds? I am starting to get uneasy about how many my doc wants to do. I have my NT scan on the 22nd and aside from the 20 week sonogram I really don't want anymore. They have the same practice of having an ultrasound if they can't find the heartbeat on the doppler. And I really don't want it.
With Connor, I was really paranoid about how many ultrasounds, and tried to keep it at a minimum. I'm just having to accept that with my next pregnancy he wants to do a lot extra. We don't really know what happened with Connor, so he wants to watch next baby's heart pretty closely, along with everything else.

As for u/s when they can't find the heartbeat. Trust me, if they don't find the heartbeat the last thing on your mind will be too many ultrasounds. He couldn't get that machine in the room fast enough when we couldn't find Connor's. It of course didn't help, since he was already gone. But, I would definitely want it checked out if they couldn't find the hb.

http://suziesnewnormal.blogspot.com/
Suzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 09:02 AM   #484
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: pocahontas
I have no concern with ultrasounds and this is the first I have ever heard there is a link to autism. News to me! Can you share your source?

It's fairly common these days to have a dating u/s at your first appt at 8 wks, an NT scan at 12 and the anatomy at 20.

I think I had one later in pregnancy with DS because he was measuring so big. I loved seeing him!

Stargirl - I was kind of surprised at how many you had early on. Have you had prior losses or other reasons for concern?

Debbie - I never let my doc change my due date. I know darn well when I ovulated and we make big babies. That doesnt mean I want them to be born earlier just because they measure big. I was adamant that they would not force me into induction just because of their measurements. Now that I am a repeat c-section, I will make them wait until exactly 39 wks, barring any issues.

Sharon - So great to hear from you! Your boys are adorable as always. I hope things settle down soon. Keep us posted on the new house!

Last edited by pocahontas; 07-12-2013 at 09:16 AM..
pocahontas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 09:33 AM   #485
foxy librarian

Here is a link to an article Are Ultrasounds Causing Autism In Unborn Babies? - The Daily Beast

My dr is extremely cautious to due to the fact I was having really bad cramps at the beginning of my pregnancy and my history or cysts, she was concerned about eptopic. Totally unjustified but like I said, she is just very throuough. Caused more panic than necessecary though.
Old 07-12-2013, 09:35 AM   #486
foxy librarian

Suzie I totally understand If I were you I'd want my next baby to be monitored very closely.
Old 07-12-2013, 10:05 AM   #487
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: SouthernCJ
Stats: 146/Pregnant!/129 5'9"
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: December 2009
Can you link me up to any peer-reviewed research on the link to autism? Off the cuff I'd have to say that autism rates are rising independently of ultrasound frequency, but that ultrasound frequency has risen in the past 20 years or so just due to the increased quality of prenatal care. I feel (and many other professionals agree) that autism rates are rising due to improved diagnoses. I wouldn't assume that they would be linked, personally.
SouthernCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 10:44 AM   #488
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Happycat21
Stats: Ugh. Can't use the "new baby" excuse anymore!
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: every day
Thanks, Andi!

As far as ultrasounds go, I don't think anyone could have had as many as me....they said I was "high risk" (PCOS, age, baby "supposedly" measuring big, GD). Personally, I think they enjoyed all the money they could get out of my insurance....but I digress. Anyway, I had a bunch of tranvaginal in the beginning because I was being closely monitored by my RE (even though we conceived naturally both times). I had the normal dating one, the NT, the anatomy scan, then once I got to 28 or so weeks, I had them practically weekly. Like Andi, I didn't mind with Brandon because I had so much fluid, we got to see him super duper clear on his photos during the 3d/4d ones and many people pay money out of pocket for those, and my inurance paid for those. (I've attached a couple that showed him pretty clear.) For Ethan on the other hand, I didn't have so much fluid, but had the same amount of ultrasounds because they considered me high risk again (especially after becoming pregnant practically 2 months after delivering Brandon!). We didn't get to see too much of Ethan at the final weekly ultrasound and BPP appointments because the fluid wasn't as abundant as it was with Brandon, so it wasn't as fun this time. I also got a little annoyed with all the "monitoring" I had to go through with both of them, TWICE per week the last 10 weeks. Only once did anything interesting come up, and that was with Ethan where there was some decels and then I had to go have ANOTHER ultrasound (emergency one) but everything was fine thankfully.

So, anyway, I certainly hope there is no relation to ultrasounds and autism. So far, Brandon is fine and has reached all his milestones and doesn't seem to have any markers for autism at 20 months.

Hopefully Ethan does just as well.

My PCP is a firm believer in making sure your Vitamin D levels are good during pregnancy, he feels that may be a reason for such high autism rates. Who knows??? Nevertheless, I made sure mine were on target with each blood draw...but sometimes I had to ask my OB for that to be added to the panel, not every doctor seems to think D levels are important What causes autism is such a hot button issue. Some say environmental, some say vaccines, some say ultrasounds, some say diet......etc, etc, etc. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I didn't even click that link because I'm not going to scare myself because I KNOW my boys were exposed to a ton of ultrasounds during my pregnancies. I did what the doctors told me to do....and there is nothing I can do about it now, so what's the point? And if they do wind up having some form of autism, I'm not going to love them any less.

Our baby boys that we waited so long for. They are 359 days apart!

Sharon
Happycat21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 10:59 AM   #489

Sharon, I think you're right. They don't know what causes autism just yet. It is more than likely a combo of things and until they can figure it out, they will continue to point the blame at anything that has increased over the years. Vaccines (we all know how that one played out!) and now ultrasounds are just a couple that come to mind. Sometimes I wish more definitive research could be done before they start the world wide panic but such is life in today's media circus.
Old 07-12-2013, 12:15 PM   #490
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Autism and Cancer seem to be the same in that they suspect tons of environmental things to be a cause. I did read the studies while pregnant with Connor though and most of them stated that the private pay places, not your dr office, were more of the danger places. Improper training and wrongly set equipment.
Old 07-12-2013, 12:24 PM   #491

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzie View Post
Autism and Cancer seem to be the same in that they suspect tons of environmental things to be a cause. I did read the studies while pregnant with Connor though and most of them stated that the private pay places, not your dr office, were more of the danger places. Improper training and wrongly set equipment.
I read that too. Everyone wants to get the 3-D ultrasounds now! I skipped it with DS and will skip it again this time. I went with a friend to have one and it was cool to see but the woman was clearly not a doctor and the ultrasound lasted nearly an hour because everyone was oohing and ahhing. That seems crazy to me.
Old 07-12-2013, 05:29 PM   #492
foxy librarian

Yeah trust me, I'm a librarian so I am very skeptical of some of these articles I guess pregnancy just brings out the crazy in me.

I certainly believe in the environmental aspects of autism. My little cousin had it and his parents just didn't interact with him as a baby. I mean they are very lovig parents, I just think they didn't know what to do. Luckily they did early intervention and he is doing great.
Old 07-12-2013, 05:52 PM   #493

Gallery: suzanneyea
Stats: 156/124/120
WOE: Vlc
We have socialized medicine in Quebec, so you get one ultrasound at twenty weeks. That is it.
suzanneyea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 10:52 PM   #494
Thick and Delicious

Gallery: CARLINI
Stats: 303/252/140
WOE: Eating REAL food
Start Date: 2/14/2004
Andi ~ I don't put much stake into their "dates" anyway. The baby will come when it's good and ready.

Normally DH and I are naturalists and prefer little to none medical intervention. I did not have any hesitation with ultrasounds though. There are several reasons I've had so many. I have a history of miscarriage. Then my HCG levels were low and not doubling. They had to rule out ectopic and then early miscarriage. Then I developed a subchorionic hemorrhage, and I bleed from weeks 7-10. Then at my last appointment, they could not find the heartbeat with the doppler. There was no way I was going to refuse an ultrasound at that point. I was worried sick.

I use homemade cleaners, use glass containers, use filtered water, and try to stay away from processed and fast food. We're undecided on vaccines. But anything in our environment could be causing autism, and we're just not sure what it is yet. My gut feeling is it's all the chemicals and the tampering with the food supply, but who really knows. Right now, I don't have a bad feeling about the ultrasounds I've had. I certainly wouldn't want to put our baby in harms way. Hopefully there is not a connection there.

Baby Boy born 10/11/13

Last edited by CARLINI; 07-12-2013 at 10:58 PM..
CARLINI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 10:30 AM   #495
KQT

Gallery: KQT
Stats: 203/post-baby/175
I had a lot of ultrasounds with Brooke. From wk 30 til my c/sec I had one a week to check the fluids because she was breech. Honestly, probably 17 total. I'm sure the insurance company loved that
KQT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 07:50 AM   #496
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Happycat21
Stats: Ugh. Can't use the "new baby" excuse anymore!
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: every day
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzanneyea View Post
We have socialized medicine in Quebec, so you get one ultrasound at twenty weeks. That is it.
Hi Suzanne,

Even if there are complications? There has to be some exceptions to that Im sure?
Happycat21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 08:23 AM   #497
foxy librarian

I had what I think are a lot of growing pains over the weekend. I'm wondering if my uterus is starting to move up? Lots of stretches and brief cramps around my belly button.
Old 07-15-2013, 08:28 AM   #498
foxy librarian

So according to my LMP, I am 12 weeks tomorrow. I wonder if it's safe to go "public." My family already know but not extended family or friends.
Old 07-15-2013, 10:14 AM   #499

Quote:
Originally Posted by stargirl21 View Post
So according to my LMP, I am 12 weeks tomorrow. I wonder if it's safe to go "public." My family already know but not extended family or friends.
I would think so. We waited until after the NT scan at 12 wks to let everyone know. I dont do like an announcement on FB or anything, but that isnt my style. We let extended family and friends know at that point though.

I am 14 wks today and feeling good. My boobs are still sore and feel heavy. I have noticed that this pregnancy is different that my first. I dont have the beef aversion that I had with DS and I havent lost my taste for coffee all that much. I did stop drinking it several weeks ago though because I assumed I would lose my taste but I took a drink of DH's on Saturday and it was delicious.

I also feel like I am already showing and with DS I didnt show until like 25 wks. I assumed since there were 3 yrs in between, my body wouldnt pop early but maybe it is? We are going to Bass Lake for a long weekend and I had to order a couple tankini tops in a bigger size. I would usually wear a one piece but it felt uncomfortable and stretched too tight over my belly so I had a few bottoms and just ordered tops to be more comfortable.

How is everyone?
Old 07-15-2013, 10:25 AM   #500

Gallery: suzanneyea
Stats: 156/124/120
WOE: Vlc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happycat21 View Post
Hi Suzanne,

Even if there are complications? There has to be some exceptions to that Im sure?
Well, bviously if there is an issue...
I actually kinda got two cause I had an amnio, so I saw him during that procedure.
suzanneyea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 10:45 AM   #501
Thick and Delicious

My friends and family have known for a while. I don’t wait until it's "safe". I figured if it all goes to crap, the worst that would come of it is I’ll have more love and support. It seems like women don't talk about miscarriage really at all. So many women opened up to me when I had mine, and I wish they would have done that before so I would have known what to expect and that I wasn't alone. It almost seems like pregnancy is a secret we're required to keep until 12 weeks.

I'm hungry all the time. I'll take that over being nauseous though. I keep having really vivid dreams too. My NT scan is on Wednesday.

Last edited by CARLINI; 07-15-2013 at 10:49 AM..
Old 07-15-2013, 12:06 PM   #502
foxy librarian

I told my family right away but there are a lot of people I'd like to tell and now I feel more comfortable. I might wait until after the NT scan. Mine is Monday.
Old 07-15-2013, 12:47 PM   #503
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DD80
Stats: 188/165.0/145 5'10"
WOE: Organic GrassFed Gluten-Free 5/13 Dairy Free 2/14
Start Date: 1/10/12 Medi, 2/9/12 First UD, 1/1/13 New Plan
Hello everyone!

I've been reading a bit here and thought I'd join in. Mostly, because I'm scared as all get out and you all seem so calm! I need !!! My husband and I just decided this past month to stop making sure we didn't get pregnant to "if it happens it happens." Well, today I took an early test (period tracked to start on Wednesday or Thursday depending on the app - I use two), and it was positive. Took another test at work and it was positive. I had a feeling I was...my stomach was off this weekend. However, I was travelling and had some wine (awesome, huh?), so thought it might just be that. Still, I had to know for sure.

I don't know what to think. It is obviously so early and so many things could go wrong. I don't know what to do...I am not telling anyone yet...not ready. However, that leaves me with only my husband to talk to and he knows less than me! I'm actually not that hungry (usually, I think I have a good appetite...sometimes too good ) and am a little nauseous. But, then I went to really hungry, so who knows. Maybe that's just from anxiety...

Last edited by DD80; 07-15-2013 at 12:57 PM..
DD80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 01:36 PM   #504
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I hate to bring stuff up like this, but I just don't think there is a "safe" point anymore. We thought we were in the safe point with Connor by far. I will most likely not be doing any kind of Facebook announcement next time, but I won't wait for a "safe" time next time, because that innocence is gone. I will only feel safe when I have a crying breathing baby in my arms!
Old 07-15-2013, 01:37 PM   #505
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD80 View Post
Hello everyone!

I've been reading a bit here and thought I'd join in. Mostly, because I'm scared as all get out and you all seem so calm! I need !!! My husband and I just decided this past month to stop making sure we didn't get pregnant to "if it happens it happens." Well, today I took an early test (period tracked to start on Wednesday or Thursday depending on the app - I use two), and it was positive. Took another test at work and it was positive. I had a feeling I was...my stomach was off this weekend. However, I was travelling and had some wine (awesome, huh?), so thought it might just be that. Still, I had to know for sure.

I don't know what to think. It is obviously so early and so many things could go wrong. I don't know what to do...I am not telling anyone yet...not ready. However, that leaves me with only my husband to talk to and he knows less than me! I'm actually not that hungry (usually, I think I have a good appetite...sometimes too good ) and am a little nauseous. But, then I went to really hungry, so who knows. Maybe that's just from anxiety...
Congratulations! You are definitely in the right place! The women here are so supportive and great!
Old 07-15-2013, 02:10 PM   #506
Thick and Delicious

DD! Congratulations!

Don’t worry about the wine. You won’t be sharing a blood supply with the baby for another week or so. I remember when I got my first positive pregnancy test – I didn’t know what to do what myself either! I was so excited, nervous, scared… all the emotions. Enjoy. It’s a wonderful time!

Last edited by CARLINI; 07-15-2013 at 02:19 PM..
Old 07-15-2013, 02:15 PM   #507
Thick and Delicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzie View Post
I hate to bring stuff up like this, but I just don't think there is a "safe" point anymore. We thought we were in the safe point with Connor by far. I will most likely not be doing any kind of Facebook announcement next time, but I won't wait for a "safe" time next time, because that innocence is gone. I will only feel safe when I have a crying breathing baby in my arms!
Not to be a Debbie Downer, but this sums it up for me too. I won't be 100% comfortable until the baby is here, and takes its first breath. And even then, my mother assures me you never stop worrying about your kids.
Old 07-15-2013, 02:40 PM   #508
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DD80
Stats: 188/165.0/145 5'10"
WOE: Organic GrassFed Gluten-Free 5/13 Dairy Free 2/14
Start Date: 1/10/12 Medi, 2/9/12 First UD, 1/1/13 New Plan
Quote:
Originally Posted by CARLINI View Post
DD! Congratulations!

Don’t worry about the wine. You won’t be sharing a blood supply with the baby for another week or so. I remember when I got my first positive pregnancy test – I didn’t know what to do what myself either! I was so excited, nervous, scared… all the emotions. Enjoy. It’s a wonderful time!
Thank you guys for the welcome! This made me feel better.
DD80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 03:16 PM   #509
foxy librarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD80 View Post
Hello everyone!

I could have written your exact post We also got pregnant the month we decided to see what happens. I REALLY thought it would take me a while. And to top it off, we were at the beach in Florida right before my period was due so I was drinking. A lot. In fact on the flight home we got bumped to first class and I definitely took advantage of the free drinks....

The day I was supposed to get my period I felt off so we took a test followed by 2 more. We were in shock to say the least!
Old 07-15-2013, 04:45 PM   #510

Carlini - I agree! I am very open about my loss. I told most of my family friends either when it happened or if it came up. I have never been shy about sharing because I know that so very many women go through it.

The reason I choose to wait until after the NT scan is because I saw my SIL have to go through the agony of "untelling" just about everyone she knew when she suffered a loss. She thought that was worse than the loss itself. I dont ever want to be in that situation so I tell my my family and close friends and figure the rest will know soon enough!

DD80! When we TTC #1, we also lucked out and got pregnant on the first cycle. Now, #2 was super difficult. My rec is that if you want 2, don't wait! It took us a year with one loss in between. I am due to have #2 in January (same month we had DS) so they will be exactly 3yrs apart.