Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Women's Health
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2013, 11:51 AM   #421
foxy librarian

Gallery: stargirl21
Oh my goodness what fabulous news!!!!! So happy for you!
stargirl21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-2013, 12:02 PM   #422
KQT
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KQT
Stats: 203/post-baby/175
Quote:
Originally Posted by pocahontas View Post
Ultrasound was awesome!!!!!! Baby was sucking its thumb and rolling all around. Everything measured on track and my NT screening came back negative. So happy right now!!!! I guess we are having a baby.
YAY!!
KQT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 01:07 PM   #423
Thick and Delicious

Gallery: CARLINI
Stats: 303/252/140
WOE: Eating REAL food
Start Date: 2/14/2004
Yay Andi!!! When is your next appointment?
CARLINI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 01:38 PM   #424
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Suzie
Quote:
Ultrasound was awesome!!!!!! Baby was sucking its thumb and rolling all around. Everything measured on track and my NT screening came back negative. So happy right now!!!! I guess we are having a baby.
So glad things went well!
Suzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 01:50 PM   #425

Gallery: pocahontas
Thanks ladies!

Debbie - My next appt is 7/26.
pocahontas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 02:39 PM   #426
foxy librarian

Are you planning to find out the gender?
Old 07-03-2013, 05:36 PM   #427

Quote:
Originally Posted by stargirl21 View Post
Are you planning to find out the gender?
Absolutely not! We didnt with DS either. I like the element of surprise which is weird because I am a total control freak usually.
Old 07-04-2013, 04:29 AM   #428
foxy librarian

That's fun! I'd kind of like to wait but my husband wants to know so we'll find out.
Old 07-05-2013, 05:55 AM   #429
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: KateInTx
Hello Ladies! My name is Kate. Ive been on and off this board for several years but never really stuck with it. Now dh and I are TTC and I have seen the amazing support you ladies give each other and I would like to join in!

A bit about myself. I am 35 yrs old and have one adorable little girl. She is now 20 months (unbelievable!). So we are trying to make her a brother or sister. TTC is a new experience for me because I got pregnant with her the first month of trying. I figured that this time around would be the same but I didn't factor in the fact that having a toddler is not really conducive to time alone together.

I was severely overweight when I got preggo with my dd and during pregnancy I gained about 50 lbs. I did no exercise and I bought into all the nonsense about eating carbs for the baby. In addition to that I am one of the rare ladies who did not lose any weight while breastfeeding. I didn't begin to lose weight until she weaned at 17 months. I was okay with that because I figured her health was more important at that time than my weight. I have lost all but 9 lbs of my baby weight, hopefully I will be closer to my pre baby weight when I actually conceive.

I do not want the same pregnancy experience as last time. I was huge, bloated and had terrible pubic symphysis dysfunction/pain. I do not want to repeat that experience! I guess I have a very liberal approach to parenting and child rearing, I did child led weaning, baby wearing, child led food introduction and I bed share. I am looking forward to getting to know you ladies and taking part in your excitement about TTC, L&D and child raising. I can definitely share what I have learned with all the above topics with you ladies. I am a big supporter of attachment parenting and extended nursing
KateInTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 06:27 AM   #430
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sutton_02
Stats: 5'8" - Currently 172lbs / Goal of 150lbs
WOE: Paleo/Primal
CeeCee - Totally missed the boy news earlier. Congrats!! We're having two boys, so I'm a bit partial.

Andi - Congrats on a healthy baby and clear NT scan! It's such a load off to be past that critical first trimester. I'm glad all is well!

KateInTX - Welcome!! You've come to the right place. Everyone here is great! Low carb is definitely a great fertility diet. I hope your TTC journey is short. Good luck! I'm digging your parenting style. I'm wanting to do as much attachment parenting as possible with twins.

23 Week Check In - I'm up almost 23 pounds, which is still right on track for my goal. If I continue to average a pound a week, we're looking at 38-40 pounds total, which I think seems like a good number for twins. My aunt gained about 45 pounds with her twins and was within 5 pounds of her pre-pregnancy weight within a few weeks. Most importantly though, I want to these boys to grow as big as possible. Right now, one is ahead of the growth curve, and the other is right on it, so I hope they keep that up.

I got the nursery painted yesterday and am very happy with the color. It is grey, and I've learned from past experiences that grey is actually a very hard color to pick out because it can easily look blue or tan depending on surrounding colors, lighting, etc. Well, I got this one right. It is just the grey I was going for. Our nursery will be grey and white with accents of teal.

Chat later!

Last edited by sutton_02; 07-05-2013 at 06:30 AM..
sutton_02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 07:50 AM   #431
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

KateInTX - Welcome! This is definitely a fabulous, supportive, environment! Good luck! DH and I are currently TTC as well.

Sutton - I LOVE gray with bright accents! I hope you post pictures once things start getting all put together!!

Update on us... this is month two of TTC. I'm due to start a week from tomorrow. Just relaxing and going with the flow right now! I'm staying busy with my summer job. I love seeing all the updates ladies! I read them all, even if I don't post daily.

I'm currently working on collecting donations (doughtnuts, bottled water, etc) from local business for the Share walk in October. Share has done so much for me/us since losing Connor, I'm loving helping out the cause by calling around and visiting businesses.

The blogger Heaven's Bouquet got to Connor's flower yesterday. I it. She is so fabulous for doing this for free for parents who have lost their baby/child.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Connor flower.jpg (32.9 KB, 12 views)

http://suziesnewnormal.blogspot.com/
Old 07-05-2013, 08:05 AM   #432
Thick and Delicious

Kate! I like the idea of extended nursing. However, I’ll be 37Ĺ when this baby arrives, and I may need to wean after a few months so we can start working on #2. Were your cycles regular when you were nursing?

Sutton I’d like to see pictures of the nursery when you’re ready to share. Sounds lovely.

I hope everyone had a great 4th. I’m working today, part of a skeleton crew. Pregnancy symptoms returned yesterday, but otherwise I’m still feeling pretty good. DH and I went to the maternity store yesterday. I went for a belly band, because I felt my pants are getting a bit tight. There was a clearance section with winter items, so I picked up a few tops. I felt silly buying maternity clothes so early, but winter stuff is what I’ll need, and it was on clearance. There is a pillow bump you wear when trying on clothes, and it was so fun to see myself hugely pregnant. DH was taking pictures with his phone. We are so excited, but...

Does anyone else have a fear of miscarriage? I’m trying hard to enjoy this time, but I find myself worried about losing the baby. I don’t feel in my gut that anything is wrong, and I definitely did with my last pregnancy that did end in miscarriage. I’m an anxious person normally, and pregnancy has seemed to set it into overdrive. Our RE telling us the baby has less than a 5% chance in beginning didn’t help. Everything looks great, and I’m darn near 11 weeks. I know the odds are in our favor now. I wish I could stop worrying.

Baby Boy born 10/11/13

Last edited by CARLINI; 07-05-2013 at 08:10 AM..
Old 07-05-2013, 09:14 AM   #433
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARLINI View Post

Does anyone else have a fear of miscarriage? Iím trying hard to enjoy this time, but I find myself worried about losing the baby. I donít feel in my gut that anything is wrong, and I definitely did with my last pregnancy that did end in miscarriage. Iím an anxious person normally, and pregnancy has seemed to set it into overdrive. Our RE telling us the baby has less than a 5% chance in beginning didnít help. Everything looks great, and Iím darn near 11 weeks. I know the odds are in our favor now. I wish I could stop worrying.

I'm not even pregnant yet and I already worry about something happening again! I think that everyone worries, but that it is an increased worry in someone who has experienced a loss before. I know that with my pregnancy once I got past the 12, then 20 weeks I completely relaxed assuming I was out of the danger stage. I can't imagine that I will be able to relax at all with the next one until we are holding the baby and all is okay!
Old 07-05-2013, 10:31 AM   #434
Senior LCF Member

I will definitely post pics of the nursery once it's done! My mom will be making custom bedding and curtains, and will also be paining an old dresser teal for us. I'm excited to get it all in there!

Carlini - I carried that fear for a while in the beginning, since I'd had two miscarriages and no successful pregnancies. I told myself that after the NT scan, I was done worrying. The stress was not going to change anything and it wasn't good for the pregnancy. That said, I still find little thoughts of worry creeping in, even at 23 weeks, but I quickly dismiss them, reminding myself that nothing positive can come of it. Stress really is unhealthy for a pregnancy.

Suzie - Good luck this month!

So, I am curious about something and I'd love to hear all your thoughts on the matter. Do you think maternal fat gain is correlated with the baby's birth weight? Or do you think birth weight is more determined by genetics? For you BTDT moms, how much weight did you gain, how long did you carry, and how big was your baby?

When considering a singleton pregnancy, I am convinced that gaining a lot of weight for the mother is not necessary, and I've ready many stories of moms (mostly Paleo and/or low carb) only gaining around 15 to 20 pounds and having perfectly healthy babies. Of course, now that I'm pregnant with twins, all I hear is that you need to gain a lot of weight in the beginning because twins likely will not go full term, so don't have that last crucial month to fatten up. My gut tells me that this is just as inaccurate with two as it is with one, but I find myself torn. If I have to put on extra fat to have healthy babies, I will, but it just seems like you always hear, "babies take what they need from mother," including fat. If this is the case, why do I need to add more fat to my body (I've already got plenty - I was probably 25% body fat pre-pregnancy and feel like I'm now approaching 30%). I also hear that birth weight is more related to genetics than anything. I.E. if mom and dad were big babies, then baby is more likely to be big. (for sake of argument, let's not even consider big babies due to gestational diabetes).

Looking forward to hearing opinions on this!
Old 07-05-2013, 11:56 AM   #435
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: KateInTx
Sutton- Thanks for the warm welcome. Congratulations on having twins. I donít know how you are going to do it! Youíre a better woman than me, because I would be terrified! My best advice with AP is to do it your way. Donít let other people make you feel like your choices are odd or wrong. Mother Nature has given us over a million years of instincts on how to be mothers, so listen to your heart and what is right for you and your little ones. The "experts" in my humble opinion are as lost as the rest of us.

In response to your question about maternal weight gain it is not related to birth weight unless you have predisposing factors like HT or GD. Most of weight gain is due to hormone levels, lack of activity, eating habits and water retention. I personally believe that genetics and metabolism do play a part in how much weight you will gain because some people simply gain weight easier than others but that is not the guiding factor but merely a predisposition. I do not think there is a correlation between large parental weight at birth and the birth of their children. There are too many variables for that to hold true. That being said I gained a ton of weight because I ate everything but the kitchen sink, sat on my heiny and never moved. Not to mention that I was already overweight so those 50# piled on like no oneís business. My husband was a porker baby at 11# and I was a teeny baby at 7.6. I carried 37 1/2 weeks and my little one was 7.9 and 19 in.

The problem with being overweight to begin with is that it increases our risks of complications with both pregnancy and L&D. Iím sure you are well versed in all the risks so I wonít go into that. Whether you gain a ton of weight in the first few months means nothing when it comes to birth weight, you will continue to gain 1/2 lbs a week regardless of where you started out or gained in the 1st trimester. For instance, I gained 15 lbs in my first trimester and continued all the way until delivery. My advice to you would be to continue to eat well, exercise and those little ones will come when they are ready.

Suzi- Thank you for the welcome. This board is so supportive and positive. Itís a nice change from many boards that I have been part of in the past. Good luck to you on your TTC journey. How long have you been trying? I have been actively trying for about 3 months. I do not count the first month after coming off OCPs because Iím sure I was still anovulatory. Even though I do not know you I would like to give you my condolences on the loss of your little one. May the good Lord give you strength through His mercy and love.

Carlini- Thank you for the welcome! Extended nursing is not for everyone but in my opinion all woman should at least give it a go for 6 months minimum and reevaluate from there. Every woman is different and remember you can still get pregnant even if you are nursing. My cycle came back at 3 months postpartum. I also had DUB for the next 8 months. I do not know if I was ovulating during that time because we were not TTC. Many woman do ovulate while breastfeeding and there is no way to really tell if you are releasing eggs or just having a monthly flow. Some woman donít get there menses back until they wean competently. I ended up taking OCPs to get my hormones back under control, but at that time my LO was only comfort nursing and no longer nursing for nourishment. IMO I would say breastfeed for 6 months, which is the minimum recommended for health and immunity, and if your menses has not come back by then reevaluate on early weaning. Remember 37 1/2 is not that old. I see woman everyday 40 and beyond pregnant and delivering healthy babies.

I was terrified about miscarrying and when I passed the risk mark I started to worry about other complications. I think it is normal and a sign that you are a good mother who is worried about her baby. Try to do relaxing breathing or prayer when the worries get too much thatís what worked for me. Stress isnít good for you or your baby.
KateInTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 12:30 PM   #436
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Kate - We have been trying for two months. We were really only half heartedly trying last month. Our son, my first pregnancy, was stillborn on March 7. We just got the go ahead to really start trying this month. We knew it would take more than one month, so went ahead and stopped "being careful" last month.
Old 07-05-2013, 06:23 PM   #437

Gallery: DisneyPrincess
WOE: Whatever it Takes
Start Date: Time to make this a lifestyle!
I gained more weight with my son and he was smaller than my daughter. I think a lot is genetics
DisneyPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 06:26 PM   #438

I can't believe my little Stella Grace is 6 months old!
image.jpg
Old 07-05-2013, 06:29 PM   #439

Do we have names for the twins sutton?
Old 07-06-2013, 05:44 AM   #440
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Hot Potato
Stats: 117.4kg/107.1/99kg (first goal)
WOE: LCHF/primal/NK
Start Date: May 2013
Hi I hope no one minds me posting in here. I was hoping people might be able to answer a question for me...
Have any of you become pregnant and had a baby (following problems with fertility) after switching to low carb??

I have been TTC for over six years now. I have had nine unsuccessful ivf cycles. Although I am getting on (just turned 42), I am still hopeful that one of the side effects of this WOE will be a child for my DP and I (I have an 11 year old dd from a previous relationship).

I would love to hear success stories!! Thanks
Hot Potato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 10:50 AM   #441

Gallery: suzanneyea
Stats: 156/124/120
WOE: Vlc
I was 40 when I got pregnant with James and eating zero carb. My other son was nine. That was nine years of trying, including three ivfs. So, there is hope! I stayed vlc for my pregnancy.
I am another attachment parent. James is still nursing at 15 month, sleeps with me too. I did this with drew and he is now a very independent and confident young man. So, it works for us.
suzanneyea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 12:49 PM   #442
foxy librarian

After my last ultrasound I don't worry about misscarrying anymore but worry about the baby being healthy.

I haven't thought much about parenting styles yet. I want to see what if feels like once the baby is here and go from there. I think it's kind of hard to determine before you get a sense of the child's personality. But that's just my thought.
Old 07-06-2013, 03:12 PM   #443
Senior LCF Member

DisneyPrincess - Stella is adorable. What a cute pic! We've got a short list of names but no decisions yet. Once we do decide, we're waiting to announce them once they're born.

Hot Potato - Welcome! I don't have the story you're looking for, but you might find Dr. Michael Fox's info interesting...

Low-carb gynecologist | Track Your Plaque Blog
Old 07-08-2013, 09:49 AM   #444

Hi ladies! Been gone for the long weekend and had quite a bit to catch up on.

Katie! I like your style. I am not full on into AP but that is mostly because I work FT. I nursed DS for 14 mo when my milk all but completely dried up. I pumped at work and he drank BM exclusively until then. DS didnt care a whole lot for the carrier but we did use it quite a bit in the early days. We did not bed share often but he did sleep in our room sidecarred next to the bed. We also did baby led feeding.

sutton - I only gained 12 lbs with DS and he was born at 38 wks weighing in at 8 lbs 8 oz and 21 in. He would have been even bigger had he gone full term. DH was a 10 lb baby and I was 7 lb 11oz. Cant wait to see pics of the nursery!

Carlini - Im not sure the fear will ever go away but it gets less and less each week. Also, I agree with Katie. I got my PPAF at 5 months and it was monthly and totally regular from there. If I had to guess, I would say that we could have gotten pregnant right away and I could have continued to nurse DS too. Wait and see how it goes. My SIL always gets PPAF at 3 mo and she nurses each for over a year.

Good luck Suzie!

Hot Potato - I have been on these boards since 2001. I have seen so many get pregnant after being on LC for a while. Seriously, more than I can count!

I am 13 wks today and feeling good. I feel like its going by so fast! I have to think about when to tell work. Probably closer to like 20 wks.

Last edited by pocahontas; 07-08-2013 at 09:52 AM..
Old 07-08-2013, 10:13 AM   #445
Thick and Delicious

Oh God I'm so today! I'm taking a half a sick day and leaving work. I'll catch up later.
Old 07-08-2013, 05:18 PM   #446

Gallery: Lori37
Stats: 310/215/180
WOE: Modified low carb
Start Date: 6/1/2010
DP Stella is beautiful! Thanks for sharing the pic!

Going back to work was a mixed emotions thing. I Love being with my baby girl and our goal is for me to stay home with her. But I LOVE LOVE my job and really enjoy being in a regular routine again. I've lucked out so far, Rose has been letting mommy get enough sleep!

So much catching up to do here, I'll probably never catch up. It's really hard to make my way to this board. I rarely get on the PC. I mostly just FB through my phone. If anyone is on FB, lets connect there!
http://lorivsjourneytohealth.blogspot.com/
Lori37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 06:11 PM   #447

Lori, I just sent you a FB friend request.
Old 07-08-2013, 07:43 PM   #448

Quote:
Lori, I just sent you a FB friend request.
Got it!
Old 07-08-2013, 07:47 PM   #449

So Last week was Rose's first week with the sitter right?
Sunday night she pooped. Then I had no idea what went on, monday thru wed. But friday came and I didn't see any poop. I know it can be normal for a BF baby to go once a week, but her normal is once a day. Friday I got home from work and was told she had been refusing the bottle and screaming. I tried to feed her (from the tap) and she screamed even more! I spent over an hour trying to comfort her. I finally gave her a warm bath, and did tummy massage. She fell asleep in my arms, when she awoke I was able to get her to drink a little prune juice diluted with water and she ate as well. A couple hours later she had a small poop, very thick in texture. Saturday she had the same exact behavior, but never had a BM. Yesterday she was fine, but today the screaming is back. And still no BM??? Not sure what else to do. We see her doc tomorrow.
I googled it and it seems this is very common at 3months due to growth spurts. Any ideas?
Old 07-09-2013, 07:00 AM   #450

Totally common at that age. Our doc actually rec'd giving DS a little water. We did but Im not sure if it helped or if the massage helped more. We did a lot of baby massage and just bending his legs up slowly and after a couple days he finally went. He used to go 4 days at a time with no poop. Every time we would start thinking that we needed to call the doc, he would go.