Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Women's Health (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/womens-health/)
-   -   Post Ablation (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/womens-health/802381-post-ablation.html)

SillverOrchid 04-18-2013 09:33 AM

Post Ablation

Hey all, I know there were quite a few women on the boards who have had this done. My Thermachoice procedure was done Feb 4th. of this year.. a week after I was due for a period and had nothing, March I bled lightly for a week and a half, this month I am working on 8 days of a period with 2 heavier days. :stars: I was hoping this was going to fix a lot of the issues I was having the main one being length of time.

Anyone else who has had this done have the same results? I am at the point where I would love to just have a partial hysterectomy done. :sad:

CurveControl 04-18-2013 10:04 AM

I had ablation (electrical, Not the balloon) done several years ago, and it worked for a few months but then slowly regressed. IIRC I had some light discharge for a few days after the procedure but it took a few months (Like 6 or 7?) before I had a period again. I am not nearly as bad as I was before the ablation, volume or lenthwise. But pain-wise TOM is worse, because I have a fibroid within the wall of my uterus. feels like a little man is in there with a cork screw. I can point to the exact spot, so I guess as much as it hurts there it is still better than full uterine cramping, for 4-6 days, because that sucked too. (The fibroid just happened it is unrelated to the ablation and would have happened anyway)

So basically I went from a 7-10 day heavy (every 2 hour tampon change plus a pad at night) period with 4-6 days of full on cramping to just 3 or maybe 4 days of period ( I just use a lightweight tampon on the heaviest days, otherwise a pantyliner does fine) so I am glad I had it done, Mine is considered a successful one because it did help a LOT, I just am just bitter that I am not one of the lucky ones that it stops TOM 100% for 10+ years. :(

Every month for 2-3 days I wish desperately for a hyst, because of the cramping) but then the other 27 days I know it is not bad enough to have surgery for.

I am sorry it didn't work as well as it should have for you. Maybe a different ablation procedure would work better for you? I know from when I was researching it that sometimes people have to have it done more than once.

SillverOrchid 04-18-2013 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CurveControl (Post 16380955)
I had ablation (electrical, Not the balloon) done several years ago, and it worked for a few months but then slowly regressed. IIRC I had some light discharge for a few days after the procedure but it took a few months (Like 6 or 7?) before I had a period again. I am not nearly as bad as I was before the ablation, volume or lenthwise. But pain-wise TOM is worse, because I have a fibroid within the wall of my uterus. feels like a little man is in there with a cork screw. I can point to the exact spot, so I guess as much as it hurts there it is still better than full uterine cramping, for 4-6 days, because that sucked too. (The fibroid just happened it is unrelated to the ablation and would have happened anyway)

So basically I went from a 7-10 day heavy (every 2 hour tampon change plus a pad at night) period with 4-6 days of full on cramping to just 3 or maybe 4 days of period ( I just use a lightweight tampon on the heaviest days, otherwise a pantyliner does fine) so I am glad I had it done, Mine is considered a successful one because it did help a LOT, I just am just bitter that I am not one of the lucky ones that it stops TOM 100% for 10+ years. :(

Every month for 2-3 days I wish desperately for a hyst, because of the cramping) but then the other 27 days I know it is not bad enough to have surgery for.

I am sorry it didn't work as well as it should have for you. Maybe a different ablation procedure would work better for you? I know from when I was researching it that sometimes people have to have it done more than once.

I guess I shouldn't complain too much, like you I was hoping to be one of those with the no period.
My periods before the ablation were 7 to 12 days long and so heavy and painful some days I didn't want to leave the house. I was using a box or more of super plus and those weren't even enough some days.
Now I am getting away with a liner or a regular tampon.. just didnt expect them to still be more than 7 days. I am on hormone therapy for one more month then I have to go back for another endometrial biopsy since they found that I had simple endo. hyperplasia after they sent out tissue sample from my procedure. I am unsure how they plan to get a good sample to know if its gone or not since ablation causes scarring which can hide precancerous cells and cancer. :stars:
Not sure if they would even let me do another ablation since they would not have even done one to begin with if they had seen the hyperplasia. Is wear sometimes being a woman stinks! lol

Karerose 04-18-2013 11:37 AM

Could the hormone therapy be causing the longer periods? It does sound like it has improved quite a bit. Knowing how awful those heavy horrible periods are, I would be fine with lighter even if it did last long. You may be just one of those ladies that naturally have longer periods. I'm not sure I've ever had a period less than 7 days. When I was on the pill and didn't have any other issues, it was barely there but it still lasted about a week.

SillverOrchid 04-18-2013 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karerose (Post 16381133)
Could the hormone therapy be causing the longer periods? It does sound like it has improved quite a bit. Knowing how awful those heavy horrible periods are, I would be fine with lighter even if it did last long. You may be just one of those ladies that naturally have longer periods. I'm not sure I've ever had a period less than 7 days. When I was on the pill and didn't have any other issues, it was barely there but it still lasted about a week.

I never had period this long in my life. 7 days before I had kids then 5 to 6 days after the kids. This past year it has gone up to 12 days some months and 8 to 10 others. Definitely not normal for me :( I didn't start the hormone therapy unti after the ablation in Feb. So don't think thats a contributing factor. I have too much estrogen in my body so she has me on progesterone.

qtpie 05-02-2013 04:54 PM

I had the Novasure ablation on Sept 14 of last year. Afterwards I had very little discharge for about 1 week, and then it was like a light period for a week. But in the next week I thought I was going to bleed to death within 3 hours time. Ended up in the hospital with a double infection they couldn't identify (drs said it wasn't from procedure) and had to have a D&C. I was sick for over a week and home from work another 2 weeks after being released. It took me months to start to feel my energy coming back after the massive loss of blood. I haven't had any bleeding since, but I am back on bcp - progesterone because my neurologist was concerned about the possiblity of pregnancy. I was supposed to have another procedure done to block my tubes, but now doc won't do it and I don't want a tubal.

Not exactly the same as your experience, but I don't think it goes the same for any two people. My SIL had it done and in 2 years she had a partial because of the terrible pain she was having. A friend had to have it done twice.

I have moments I regret having it done since at this point I am back on bcp. Was trying to eliminate that all together because of horrible migraines.

SillverOrchid 05-02-2013 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by qtpie (Post 16406178)
I had the Novasure ablation on Sept 14 of last year. Afterwards I had very little discharge for about 1 week, and then it was like a light period for a week. But in the next week I thought I was going to bleed to death within 3 hours time. Ended up in the hospital with a double infection they couldn't identify (drs said it wasn't from procedure) and had to have a D&C. I was sick for over a week and home from work another 2 weeks after being released. It took me months to start to feel my energy coming back after the massive loss of blood. I haven't had any bleeding since, but I am back on bcp - progesterone because my neurologist was concerned about the possiblity of pregnancy. I was supposed to have another procedure done to block my tubes, but now doc won't do it and I don't want a tubal.

Not exactly the same as your experience, but I don't think it goes the same for any two people. My SIL had it done and in 2 years she had a partial because of the terrible pain she was having. A friend had to have it done twice.

I have moments I regret having it done since at this point I am back on bcp. Was trying to eliminate that all together because of horrible migraines.

:console: wow sounds like you have had a rough time of it!
I finally called my OBGYN last Friday, she said I could come in for a biopsy earlier than planned which is funny since they are booked until the end of the month anyway lol She says she feels like I have been on the hormones long enough to fix the hyperplasia and that if biopsy comes back that its still there then we will probably do a partial hysterectomy. I am ok with that, my other thought is that we try another ablation since my last two periods have been 10 days long and I had one random day this week of bleeding. She thinks it might be the progesterone pills causing it. And if my endo biopsy comes back ok then she wants to give me two months off of those to see if periods even out. If not then possible hysterectomy. At this point I am just done with it all. Its been almost 2 years of this craziness, I am ready to just call it quits with it all lol

Jennyl 05-07-2013 11:02 AM

I had to have a biopsy before they will look into my options. I had the biopsy last week. I had to have ultrasounds and blood work also. Once all of my results are in, I will discuss options with my doctor. My bleeding is heavy and unpredictable. I just can't tolerate it anymore. My followup appointment is in one month and I'm really hoping for some kind of treatment because it's ridiculous. If men had to deal with this there would be a cure already!

I hope you find someone to give you some options too. At least it's a little better, but I'm with you, and ready for the home hysterectomy kit.

SillverOrchid 05-08-2013 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jennyl (Post 16413449)
I had to have a biopsy before they will look into my options. I had the biopsy last week. I had to have ultrasounds and blood work also. Once all of my results are in, I will discuss options with my doctor. My bleeding is heavy and unpredictable. I just can't tolerate it anymore. My followup appointment is in one month and I'm really hoping for some kind of treatment because it's ridiculous. If men had to deal with this there would be a cure already!

I hope you find someone to give you some options too. At least it's a little better, but I'm with you, and ready for the home hysterectomy kit.

This will be my second biopsy, so NOT looking fwd to it. :stars: They say it can be harder to get a sample after having an ablation.. :eek: Sorry you have to wait a month before you can discuss options, doesn't it always feel like hurry up and wait?! lol

and :lol: at home hysterectomy kit!

tgibbon45 05-25-2013 02:19 PM

I had the NovaSure ablation done in 2008. I was bleeding so heavy and for about 3 weeks a month. The very next month I went back to having normal periods. Then after a few months back to bleeding 2-3 weeks every month.

I'm scheduled for a partial hysterectomy on June 10th and I can't wait!!!!!!!I just worry that it will change certain things lol....

SillverOrchid 06-19-2013 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tgibbon45 (Post 16440215)
I had the NovaSure ablation done in 2008. I was bleeding so heavy and for about 3 weeks a month. The very next month I went back to having normal periods. Then after a few months back to bleeding 2-3 weeks every month.

I'm scheduled for a partial hysterectomy on June 10th and I can't wait!!!!!!!I just worry that it will change certain things lol....

Sorry I didn't see this before! :) How did your surgery go? :hugs: and I was worrying about the same thing.

tgibbon45 06-19-2013 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SillverOrchid (Post 16477132)
Sorry I didn't see this before! :) How did your surgery go? :hugs: and I was worrying about the same thing.

I had the robotic surgery. They ended up having to take my left ovary as it had a golf ball sized cyst on it. But I am ok with having only one. First few days are rough. No hanky panky for 10 weeks! UGH that sucks. I go back to work next week. Tired of sitting at home, so ready.

Downside was not being able to lowcarb in the hospital. when I was allowed to eat the kitchen was closed and they didn't have anything on the floor I could have so I ATE. As soon as I got back home on Tuesday and even Tuesday for breakfast I ate LC. Down 8 pounds now.

SillverOrchid 06-19-2013 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tgibbon45 (Post 16478239)
I had the robotic surgery. They ended up having to take my left ovary as it had a golf ball sized cyst on it. But I am ok with having only one. First few days are rough. No hanky panky for 10 weeks! UGH that sucks. I go back to work next week. Tired of sitting at home, so ready.

Downside was not being able to lowcarb in the hospital. when I was allowed to eat the kitchen was closed and they didn't have anything on the floor I could have so I ATE. As soon as I got back home on Tuesday and even Tuesday for breakfast I ate LC. Down 8 pounds now.

You need to take care of yourself first and worry about the eating later.. glad you ate! I am going back to LC on Monday.. hormones have had me all out of whack and then I have been sick for a month! This is the third cold since Feb. :stars: Glad your feeling better though! :console:

tgibbon45 06-23-2013 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SillverOrchid (Post 16478308)
You need to take care of yourself first and worry about the eating later.. glad you ate! I am going back to LC on Monday.. hormones have had me all out of whack and then I have been sick for a month! This is the third cold since Feb. :stars: Glad your feeling better though! :console:

I agree, but hospitals need to be more aware of peoples diets. I ate, didn't like it lol. But Tuesday I was right back on track and glad I did it. Down to 194.2 lbs as of today.

Healing is slow going. Still very tired and sore. I am suppose to go back to work on Wednesday, but I doubt I make it. It wears me out to get dressed.