Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2013, 06:44 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: char
WOE: BFL
Start Date: 04/29/13
Atkins Induction - Menses

Hi! I am on second week of Induction and during this time it was TOM. Well, 4 days after the end of a normal cycle, I am bleeding again?

I have read about no period / light period changes from low carb but not irregular/extra periods. I am not on BC. Anyone have similar experience?
char is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-18-2013, 06:53 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: raindroproses
Stats: 5'6" - 203/151/150 - Size 14/6/4
WOE: NK (less than 20 total carbs daily)
Start Date: January 25th 2013
I am on BC to regulate mine, but I found that once I started losing weight and getting deep into ketosis even THAT wouldn't regulate my cycle. From what I understand, excess estrogen is stored in our fat cells and when we burn off those fat cells and they're released into our bloodstreams... so does all the nasty garbage they've collected over the years

It's a really common occurrence and I was worried about it myself initially too... lots of women on the forums have been posting about the same thing though, and that's what my research has led me to believe too. I've had it going on for the past two or three months, pretty much since I started seriously with LC and started dropping a lot of weight. It matches up.

I guess on the bright side, even though the bleeding is annoying... you know you're burning fat!
raindroproses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:04 AM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Ok. Thanks for the info. My tubes are tied and I have always been regular, so it was kinda trippy. Hopefully, it won't last long. I have been sticking more to Atkins '72, so my carbs have been really low.

I was thinking of upping my carbs a little next week, maybe that will help.

Yes, at least I am burning fat

Do you get the whole water retention / bloat deal with your breakthroughs? I thought it was cause I had hit the sodium a little hard but now I am thinking it is hormones....
Old 04-18-2013, 07:11 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

No problem! I know I was flipping out myself because I have PCOS, but my cycles were PERFECTLY regulated on my BC... and then all of a sudden all this breakthrough bleeding and spotting when I shouldn't be I started to get really worried that it could have been something serious until I took a look around here and saw a LOT of women who were going through the same things. Someone mentioned you may have more spotting/breakthroughs if you're estrogen dominant too. Most people don't know if they are or not unless their hormones are checked on a normal basis, but I assume that's why I have as much trouble as I have because I'm using BC right now... so excess estrogen anyway

As far as water retention for me goes, I'm REALLY susceptible to it anyway... but I haven't noticed it so much when I'm spotting, mostly when it's my ACTUAL TOM. I do retain water when I eat too much sodium though unfortunately (I have to keep it around or under 1500mg a day ).

Have you tried either some Braggs apple cider vinegar in a tall glass of water with some sweetener added, or some water with fresh lemon squeezed in? That's really supposed to help us women out with the water retention/bloat issues, and since I started drinking 3 glasses with the vinegar in it a day it seems to have really cut back on what I gain! For instance, last TOM I'd gained 4 pounds... all water weight. This time I only gained 1 and it was MUCH less painful for me

I'm also not sure if you're on any supplements, but I started upping my potassium during that TOM and magnesium is also very important for women... calcium too, and I'm on a good multi for that! Just be careful with potassium especially if you're on any BP medication
Old 04-18-2013, 07:39 AM   #5
Junior LCF Member

I retain water very easily, also. I have tried apple cider vinegar and lemon water in the past, just kinda forgot. Thanks! I will get some lemons today. I do the multi but no on the potassium, mag and calcium. I do eat my cheese and also will drink a powerade zero.

I see that you have done really well. Did you watch your calories in the first few weeks or just carbs? I am making sure I stay low carb and adding plenty of fat, but I am not watching calories so much. I do not believe I am overeating. Just curious on what you did
Old 04-18-2013, 07:41 AM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Oh and getting coconut oil.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:52 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Coconut oil is fantastic imo As is lemon water/apple cider vinegar for the bloating, and really just for weight loss in general... ACV actually contains some potassium as well (at least I know Braggs brand does!) so it's especially good for women.

I would definitely consider taking extra magnesium and potassium as part of your daily supplements if you're not on any medications that they'd interact with... magnesium is SO important especially when you're on a LC diet. The potassium is also very helpful, but magnesium alone plays a role in over 300 different metabolic functions in the body... and there's not enough of it in multis If you're not advanced in age, the calcium in your multi is likely sufficient enough though so you shouldn't have to worry about that.

Here's some great information from one of the threads I frequent about supplements if you're interested in learning more about them and why they're important:

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
Supplements
If you aren't supplementing start now. Here are a few tips on it to get you started.

Magnesium is a wonder mineral that has far ranging benefits. For LC'rs, on top of all of the other wonderful things it does, it also helps with regularity. It is a must. Go easy! Don't go full dose all at once. Ramp up to whatever dose you set for yourself. Start at 1/4 to 1/2 the RDA and slowly go up over a week or two's time. If you react to your dose don't panic. It will pass. Lower the dose and take a little more time. I currently take 2xRDA.

Google 'LLVLC-ep-602-morley-robbins' for an excellent free podcast about this very important mineral.

Potassium. Dr. Eades of Protein Power advises 4 of the 99mg pills while on induction and then 2 of the 99mg pills, I believe, afterwards. If you are experiencing cramps don't overlook pure water intake. Dehydration causes awful cramps. Google 'dr eades tips & tricks' for a good two part article about induction.

Take a multi-vitamin.

There are others that you probably should be taking daily too. Google 'atlcx-26-dr-jonny-bowden' for a free podcast that is excellent about supplements in general for LC. Jimmy Moore asks the fantastic question 'what are your trapped on a desert island choices' - CoQ10 made the list.
As far as what I've been doing, at first (which is admittedly when I wasn't doing as well) I was following the low glycemic load diet... so I wasn't limiting my carbs as much as I am now, and I wasn't really paying much attention to my calories. This was prior to me REALLY starting LC and Nutritional Ketosis.

After starting NK and being serious about LC, I do count my calories. I keep my TOTAL carbs (not subtracting fiber) under 20 each day and I keep my calories between 1500-1600 a day pretty much. No exercise for the most part, just eating plenty of fat My diet is high fat, moderate protein, low carb. I think it's important (and interesting) to note too, that when I was eating closer to 1200-1300 calories a day at the start, I wasn't losing... I had to INCREASE what I was eating to see losses!
Old 04-18-2013, 08:41 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Demonica
Stats: 210/164.9/150
WOE: Moderate carb JUDDD
Start Date: February 2010
I'm glad I saw this! I was wondering why, all of a sudden out of the clear blue, I started getting TOM every 2 weeks for the last month. Hopefullly it will get back to normal now.
Demonica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:09 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demonica View Post
I'm glad I saw this! I was wondering why, all of a sudden out of the clear blue, I started getting TOM every 2 weeks for the last month. Hopefullly it will get back to normal now.
Awww well, it may last as long as you're burning fat potentially but it'll definitely level back out eventually It's a pain in the butt, but it at least feels better knowing what it is I think... not even BC can stop the mighty fat-burning-estrogen-induced TOM craziness unfortunately, so it's not just you
Old 04-18-2013, 09:25 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/200/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
I have PCOS and I'm on progesterone-only BCP and my period is usually pretty regular (not 100% as I think I'm in peri-menopause) but recently I had my period 2 weeks after the last one ended. Coincided with me doing induction level carbs after going on a cruise and eating too many carbs the previous week. I'm not going to worry about it unless it happens on a regular basis.
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:01 AM   #11
Junior LCF Member

I did a little reading. I read exactly what was stated about the estrogen being stored in adipose tissue and then being released during fat loss.

I also read that: Estrogen is released in the stool. When you are not getting a lot of fiber and your stool is stored in your colon (constipation, less frequency, etc) then this estrogen is reabsorbed into the body. Not good.

So, on that note. (This is just what I know applies to me personally, I know I was NOT eating a lot of fiber and I went from a daily girl to maybe 2x since I have been on induction. So, maybe it is a combo thing.)

I am def increasing my veges and gearing more towards a 1500 diabetic diet, which is probably where I would end up if I worked through some more of the phases on Atkins. By switching, I won't feel like I am "cheating" by eating more veggies, fruit sooner.

I have lost this way before and well you know how the story ends.
Old 04-18-2013, 02:56 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by char View Post
I did a little reading. I read exactly what was stated about the estrogen being stored in adipose tissue and then being released during fat loss.

I also read that: Estrogen is released in the stool. When you are not getting a lot of fiber and your stool is stored in your colon (constipation, less frequency, etc) then this estrogen is reabsorbed into the body. Not good.

So, on that note. (This is just what I know applies to me personally, I know I was NOT eating a lot of fiber and I went from a daily girl to maybe 2x since I have been on induction. So, maybe it is a combo thing.)

I am def increasing my veges and gearing more towards a 1500 diabetic diet, which is probably where I would end up if I worked through some more of the phases on Atkins. By switching, I won't feel like I am "cheating" by eating more veggies, fruit sooner.

I have lost this way before and well you know how the story ends.
Awww well there are also other things like Metamucil that you can stir into your drinks as well to get your daily fiber... so you don't necessarily HAVE to take that route either if you don't want to

Also, I was the same way and now I go regularly. I don't get much fiber either at under 20 TOTAL carbs per day. That's mostly meat and hardly any veggies... and no fruit. The key for me is a high fat diet (fat keeps things moving, if you know what I mean ) and supplementing with magnesium. Even LC-ers who eat plenty of veggies seem to get stopped up, but magnesium is SO helpful for that! Not the laxative drinks mind you, but the supplement pills. You start out with a low dose, and work your way up to what's therapeutic pretty much. I take 300mg daily now and am doing great... it doesn't MAKE me go, but I'm like clockwork now to where I go pretty much every morning and probably once more during the day versus once or twice a week like I was before! Magnesium is so important for so many different functions that it's worth checking out
Old 04-27-2013, 06:42 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Aleina
Stats: 224/ 172.9 31 Jan /150
WOE: Epi Paleo
Start Date: 15 Nov 2012 various WOES
Raindroproses, ..
Thank you. You saved me a lot of looking with this very plausible explanation.

Thank you to Char,too for the elaboration on the topic.

Last edited by Aleina; 04-27-2013 at 06:43 AM.. Reason: add thanks
Aleina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:31 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Julie1972
Stats: 220/186/160
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 1/1/2013
I too have PCOS and am on BCP to regulate cycles. Last month I had two cycles, which is highly unusual for me. It's comforting to read that this is not out of the norm, since extra cycles or spotting have been indicators of other conditions in the past (none of them good)!
Julie1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:43 AM   #15
A&F
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: A&F
Stats: 185/138.4/120
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 7/12/11
Quote:
Originally Posted by char View Post
Ok. Thanks for the info. My tubes are tied and I have always been regular, so it was kinda trippy. Hopefully, it won't last long. I have been sticking more to Atkins '72, so my carbs have been really low.

I was thinking of upping my carbs a little next week, maybe that will help.

Yes, at least I am burning fat

Do you get the whole water retention / bloat deal with your breakthroughs? I thought it was cause I had hit the sodium a little hard but now I am thinking it is hormones....
I've got the same thing going on. My cycle isn't regular when I'm losing weight, and I'll experience some spotting and a bit of breakthrough bleeding. I don't worry it about too much.

I don't add carbs. It isn't worth it in the long run. I've also noticed that for me, the whole water retention/ bloat deal is almost a non-issue as long as I keep my carbs low. There will be some retention, but nothing as bad as it was previously. If I notice that I'm retaining I'll sometimes cut my carbs to below ten to help flush the excess water out. Doesn't help with the breakthrough bleeding, but I still fit in my jeans.

I am hoping that when I get to the point where I'm maintaining instead of losing that everything will settle down.

Good luck with your weight loss journey!

We are all here to support you and each other.