Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Women's Health
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2013, 07:49 AM   #1
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: sprinklesmom
Stats: A little less donk in the old badonkadonk
Question Re: The Change

So what age were you when you started to notice the menopause coming on? What were the signs?

ETA: Sorry this is a loaded question. But I'm 45 and been going through some pretty bad mood swings lately and it's got me thinking.

Last edited by sprinklesmom; 03-22-2013 at 07:52 AM..
sprinklesmom is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-2013, 07:54 AM   #2
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
I was 50, and the changes I noticed were in the frequency (more often, then nothing for months, then more often again) and duration (2 to 3 days instead of 5, then sometimes 7 days) of my periods. Took til 52 to be in full-blown menopause but fortunately, I had no other symptoms, except the occasional "warm flush" (not a hot flash, I've seen women having those and thank the good lord that I did NOT have them!) and now the wrinkles and dry skin have fully set in.
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:26 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Erin57
Stats: 220/150/145 5'9"
WOE: Moderate Carb/IF
Start Date: April 2010
I was mid forties. My periods had gone down to only 2 days a month and then quit. I got really insecure and cried easily. I thought I was stupid and ugly and nobody really liked me. I was thinking one day and wondering where all this was coming from. I hadn't felt like this since I was a young teen. Then it hit me "hormones."

It seems like it happened overnight but I remember looking in the mirror and thinking WTH has happened to my face? I don't really have alot of face wrinkles but my face got sort of puffy and the dreaded neck creep set in. I also got jaw jowls. They are not going away with weight loss.

My neck also got very red. I do think that this is around the time that I started having Thyroid issues but it was 7 years later before I was aware of it.

I have heard that you can get an idea of when you will go through menopause by asking the ladies in your family. My mom and her sisters all had their stuff yanked out in their thirties, so that was no help. My younger sister went through it starting in her late thirties.
Erin57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:58 AM   #4

Gallery: emily1965
Stats: 320/179
WOE: VSG 5/10/11 plus healthy choices
I will be 48 in a couple of months. I have always had very regular cycles, but since September, I have had 2 separate days where I spotted for one day. I'm hoping this is it for me.

I had hot flashes and night sweats a couple of years ago when I had massive, fast weight loss (estrogen is stored in fat), but none of those symptoms since I stopped having my cycle.
emily1965 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:58 AM   #5

Gallery: sprinklesmom
Stats: A little less donk in the old badonkadonk
My mom got very reclusive and mean when she was going through menopause. She wouldn't leave the house and would sleep most of the day away. Her periods were extremely heavy before they stopped. She never went to a doctor during that time and had horrible depression and mood swings. It was awful for her and for our family. Especially for me where I was going through puberty and dealing with my own growing pains.

I'm so afraid of turning into that where I have my own history of depression. I want to make sure I see a doctor regularly and try to continue on living my life to its fullest.

Last edited by sprinklesmom; 03-22-2013 at 09:03 AM..
sprinklesmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:43 AM   #6

Gallery: Nanner
Stats: 253/229.5/200
WOE: low carb my way
Start Date: This time - 03/18/2013/JUDDD 04/29/2013
I get mad every time I get my period - for crying out loud, I'm almost 50 and do not need it anymore! It's heavy and lasts for a good week. Makes me so mad! On another note, I did have a few months when I did not have it, so I must be on my way but, criminy! hurry up already!
Nanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:27 AM   #7

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
this isn't a good question to answer by asking a few people. look at a chart of onset ages if you want to know. it's not unusual at your age, but not typical either. wikipedia says the normal range is 40-61, with 51 the average age.

of course MENOPAUSE means end of periods. not when you start having symptoms that lead up to that time. that is perimenopause. that can last a few years or a lot of years. and if you take hormone replacement, you won't even know when you would naturally have stopped because your periods will probably continue forever!!!
Old 03-22-2013, 11:15 AM   #8

Gallery: Karerose
Start Date: late 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanner View Post
I get mad every time I get my period - for crying out loud, I'm almost 50 and do not need it anymore! It's heavy and lasts for a good week. Makes me so mad! On another note, I did have a few months when I did not have it, so I must be on my way but, criminy! hurry up already!
53 today and still haven't stopped yet. Right now I'm in medical menopause prior to a surgery next week, and hoping that when the medicine they gave me runs out in another few weeks that I will never have a period again. I've been hoping for that since my late 40s.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenrose View Post
this isn't a good question to answer by asking a few people. look at a chart of onset ages if you want to know. it's not unusual at your age, but not typical either. wikipedia says the normal range is 40-61, with 51 the average age.

of course MENOPAUSE means end of periods. not when you start having symptoms that lead up to that time. that is perimenopause. that can last a few years or a lot of years. and if you take hormone replacement, you won't even know when you would naturally have stopped because your periods will probably continue forever!!!
My doctors keep telling me 52 is the average age and that hopefull I will stop soon. A doctor told me a long time ago I was in perimenopause - I think that was late 30s early 40s, so I was hoping to be done long before now.

I didn't know if you took hormone replacement that you wouldn't stop. I actually just thought they gave that to you when you actually already stopped.

ETA - I've never had normal cycles since the day i started. I did have periods of time when they were like clockwork, but I've also gone for over a year when I was in my 20s without it. Because I've never really been normal, I wouldn't know what is suppose to be normal.

Last edited by Karerose; 03-22-2013 at 11:17 AM..
Karerose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:25 AM   #9
Bike Tart

Gallery: mamagiff
WOE: general low carb
I was in my early 40's when I noticed peri-menopause symptoms....my last TOM was 3 months before my 58th birthday....I'm just over a year post menopause...finally!!!
mamagiff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:39 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamagiff View Post
I was in my early 40's when I noticed peri-menopause symptoms....my last TOM was 3 months before my 58th birthday....I'm just over a year post menopause...finally!!!
OMG! Please tell me the 58 is a typo. I don't think I could stand it if I had that many more years.
Old 03-22-2013, 11:49 AM   #11

Gallery: Nanner
Stats: 253/229.5/200
WOE: low carb my way
Start Date: This time - 03/18/2013/JUDDD 04/29/2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karerose View Post
OMG! Please tell me the 58 is a typo. I don't think I could stand it if I had that many more years.
LOL - I'm with you!
Nanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 06:02 PM   #12
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: faithgirl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karerose View Post
My aunt said she was 60 before her periods stopped. SIXTY!!
faithgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:04 PM   #13

Gallery: emily1965
Stats: 320/179
WOE: VSG 5/10/11 plus healthy choices
Quote:
Originally Posted by faithgirl View Post
My aunt said she was 60 before her periods stopped. SIXTY!!
OMG.

Does anyone know if there is some guideline as to when it's safe to not worry about birth control at all anymore? In relation to menepoause, not age.

Last edited by emily1965; 03-22-2013 at 07:07 PM..
emily1965 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 11:47 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MerryKate
Stats: 252/196.5/150
WOE: Nutritional ketosis
Start Date: April 2011
Emily, I believe the answer is: when you haven't had a period or spotting for a year. Up to that point, you could have a "surprise".

I'm 43, and I've been having awful perimenopause symptoms for about 6 months, so I'm resorting to Lybrel (the no-period pill...sort of a medical menopause, without the hot flashes). I was also wondering if taking pills that prevent ovulation would delay actual menopause. I've had bad PMS for so many years, I'd really rather like to get into menopause.

Last edited by MerryKate; 03-24-2013 at 11:50 PM..
MerryKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:51 AM   #15

Gallery: Bluqq
Stats: at birth weight, lucky for mom she had big hips
Start Date: 11/24/05
I learned Emily from my doc that you have a monthly period but don't release an egg all the time later in life. Here were my issues:
Memory was shot. Couldn't recall my kids names at times
Difficulty following simple instructions at times
Painful breasts abt a week before
Interrupted sleep
Night sweats
Severe cramping. Never had one before
Dry skin
Feeling anxious
Major "I love you now let me rip your heart out" mood swings
Regular periods still

Bio identical replacement solved it all
Bluqq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:19 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluqq View Post
I learned Emily from my doc that you have a monthly period but don't release an egg all the time later in life. Here were my issues:
Memory was shot. Couldn't recall my kids names at times
Difficulty following simple instructions at times
Painful breasts abt a week before
Interrupted sleep
Night sweats
Severe cramping. Never had one before
Dry skin
Feeling anxious
Major "I love you now let me rip your heart out" mood swings
Regular periods still

Bio identical replacement solved it all
Don't know about the not releasing and egg every month, but I've had the other stuff for years. Especially painful breasts and severe cramping. I feel like my breasts get so swollen that if I stuck a pin in them they would pop. Major cramping pretty much all my life since the day I started except when I was on the pill.