LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2013, 02:14 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: bacon bit
Stats: 201/137.2/135 5'2"/33 yrs
WOE: Moving up the Induction ladder
Start Date: May 2011
PCOS ladies, I have questions

So I have PCOS. Went LC to get pregnant, it worked. LC again to maintain and started BC pills to regulate cycle in June of 2011. I eat LC to lose weight and try to figure out the PCOS and help regulate my cycle. I'm not sexually active and I don't LC to get pregnant at this time.

One evening a week and on holidays I go a little carb heavier. The past few weeks I have not really been wanting to eat that carb heavier meal, but I do anyway because I don't want to wind up having cravings later. I still lose, it's just slower. I've been OK with this up until now. Is it possible that those meals are making me feel like absolute crap and throwing my cycle out of whack? I finally thought I had my cycle in February figured out. I only bled a few days. It was entirely manageable. I was completely excited to have a "normal" cycle. Then I started spotting two weeks later. And I spotted for a few weeks. Last night I think I had a cyst rupture. Severe pain in lower left abdomen, nausea, all that I've experienced before when a cyst ruptured.

What I'm wondering is, is it possible that my carb heavier meal is throwing me off and causing me to produce higher amounts of testosterone or something? Could it be what's making me spot the way I have been? I've only been doing the carb heavier meal for a month or maybe 5 weeks. Could it be that this caused a cyst to rupture? Or maybe I didn't even experience that and it was something else entirely, like an intestinal bug? My body hurts the day after I carb up. I figure I should stop doing that and just go back to Induction until my weight is where I want it and then add in carbs slowly, as intended on the plan. I just wonder if there is some connection here or if others have noticed anything like this? I thought I was pretty knowledgeable in this area, but I'm kind of struggling here. Help?

Read me
And also...
bacon bit is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-2013, 05:14 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: luvmybabyhead
Stats: 342/288/275 (2nd goal)
WOE: LC/HF
Start Date: 7/17/13
In order to feel well hormone-wise, I can't eat carbs. Not even once in a while. If I am cleanly LC, I O semi-regularly and lose. My periods come like clockwork.

Cheating regularly throws me all off. It bloats me, my period is wonky, and I hurt and swell.
luvmybabyhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 01:59 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Thank you for your reply. This is just what I'm thinking is going on with me!
Old 03-26-2013, 11:27 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: raindroproses
Stats: 5'6" - 203/151/150 - Size 14/6/4
WOE: NK (less than 20 total carbs daily)
Start Date: January 25th 2013
It's definitely possible! I've been having more trouble with my periods lately thanks to all the extra estrogen that's being dumped into my system, but in general I've done MUCH better after cutting out all those nasty carbs and a lot of the symptoms I've suffered from thanks to PCOS have been eliminated or at least toned down a lot

I remember back when I yo-yo dieted, whenever I would goof up and go back to eating all the wrong things for my body, I'd feel miserable. My bleeding would get worse, I'd have cramps so bad I couldn't get up off the couch... terrible! I definitely think there's a correlation, because I've seen similar things talked about on PCOS Diva. It's widely recommended that us PCOS-ers eat a LC diet, and I think that's one of the reasons why
raindroproses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 01:14 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cmcd1070
Stats: pre-op 240/now 167/goal 130
WOE: Organic Low Carb
Start Date: WLS 2-8-11. Atkins (reboot) 4-7-14
I started Atkins again to try to finish losing the weight I didn't lose having weight loss surgery 2 years ago. I have PCOS and Insulin Resistance and have irregular cycles. Talking to a reproductive endo, they of course said to lose more weight and low carb to try to get my insulin under control. My husband and I are getting older and my clock is ticking like a time bomb. I have been going 2-3 months without a cycle but one day on Atkins and my period started. It was moderately heavy and more pain than normal but only lasted 4 days.
I really don't think it was a coincidence. I believe that dropping my carbs down to 10ish carbs per day is having a strong (positive) impact on my cycle.
Now if only we could have a baby... <3
cmcd1070 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 02:25 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

It took me four months to get pregnant after losing 34 pounds by eating LC. No other medical intervention after years of zero protection. It can happen! I maintained my weight after I had my son and got pregnant on the first try with my daughter.
Old 03-31-2013, 08:34 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Its very encouraging to hear that, thank you for sharing! I have about 45 lbs to lose to get back into normal weight, I hope it's enough to jump start my fertility!!
Old 04-03-2013, 08:21 PM   #8
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: lowkarbkaren
i found the LC and cutting out lots of sugar helped a lot in regulating my periods. Sugar made me puffy the next morning esp if i eat sweet stuff at night. I love dessert though so its hard, so i basically use stevia in everything. Also, I take this natural supplement instead of BC pills or metformin to regulate. Took me about 4 months before i saw the difference, now they are regular and I am happy. Still trying to lose the weight though
lowkarbkaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 02:39 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

What natural supplement do you take?
Old 04-08-2013, 10:09 AM   #10
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ashes331
Stats: 211/211/130
WOE: Medi-WeightLoss
Start Date: April 2013
Ladies, this makes me REALLY happy. We've been trying for a baby for 2+ years now, and I just started a LC diet (Medi-WeigtLoss). While I'm excited about losing weight... I'm to the point of not being hopeful for a baby... But hearing that LC can ACTUALLY help me O gives me LOTS of hope!!!

Thanks a TON!!!

I, too, am curious about the supplements... I'm currently taking Metformin, and I'm SICK of it.
ashes331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 01:43 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

I've only been low carbing for 17 days. I started my TOM immediately after starting Atkins induction and I'm pretty sure I just ovulated for the first time in 6 months but I didn't have the guts to get an OPK just yet. I have 40lbs to lose and want to get closer to my goal and a few healthy cycles to chart before I get too excited. But having my TOM and what i'm fairly confident was ovulation this soon in the process was a very good start!! Even if not, my husband and I are still trying anyways =)

I have been taking Vitamin D, fish (or Krill) oil and B1 but have been curious if anyone recommends anything else for PCOS \ IR women? I haven't been to the RE yet, I recently switched jobs and won't get my healthcare coverage back until next month.

Thank you!!!
Old 04-21-2013, 06:23 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: micheleredit
Stats: 153/142/105
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: Day one recommitting back 9/21/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by bacon bit View Post
It took me four months to get pregnant after losing 34 pounds by eating LC. No other medical intervention after years of zero protection. It can happen! I maintained my weight after I had my son and got pregnant on the first try with my daughter.

WOW that's awesome!!!!!! I have PCOS and you are such an inspiration to me after years of infertility myself!!!
micheleredit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:51 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

I've been charting my cycles on another website and it looks like I have 31 day cycles on the dot now, which is new since starting Atkins. They used to be 34-40 day cycles (if I had one at all) which I know were non-ovulatory. I think if I have signs of ovulation later this month, I will buy an OPK to confirm. DH and I are excited about how quickly things seem to be correcting themselves. I do want to be much healthier (weight loss) before I concieve but we are still trying anyways, it's good practice =)