Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2013, 03:06 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tinamanni
Stats: 250/192/150
WOE: 80% fat
Worst TOM EVER!

I am on Seasonique Birth control - if you don't know what that is, basically you take active pills for 3 months and then have your period. So, I only have a period 4 times a year. I went on this because I have awful cramps and since I'm on birth control anyway, there's really no reason to have a period. It's great really.

Well, with that being said - I am in period hell! I have never had cramps like this and my mood swings are nuts. And worst of all I cannot control what I am putting in my mouth! Well, that's an exaggeration. Everything I've eaten has been allowed I'm just definitely over my carb limit and higher in calories than I like to be. So not a total fail but since I'm in a crappy mood anyway it's making me feel down.

Oh - and the clemmy's sugar free chocolate ice cream bar didn't help. They were a surprise from my hubby for passing my licensure exam. They've been in my freezer for weeks without me touching them and then today - ugh!

Do you have periods like this? How the heck do you function?
tinamanni is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-2013, 05:10 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: bacon bit
Stats: 201/137.2/135 5'2"/33 yrs
WOE: Moving up the Induction ladder
Start Date: May 2011
I've had this month long spotting thing going on and all I can think about is brownies. I have not caved, but seriously feel like I could at any time. I'm on a regular pill with 3 weeks blue, one week green. My period is already screwy enough. Good luck!
bacon bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 01:50 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Shrinkingviolet
Stats: 230/226/140
WOE: Atkins tweaked my way :)
Start Date: Oct 2010, restarting Mar 2013
I take microgynon, mainly because I have long periods otherwise with only a couple of days a month not bleeding. Horrid. But I still get horrible pms, even on the pill! Bloating, tearfulness, zits and carb cravings. Atkins coconut chocolate bars help, but it's those times of the month that really test your resolve
Shrinkingviolet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 11:41 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MerryKate
WOE: Nutritional ketosis
Start Date: LC: 04/11 • NK 10/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinamanni View Post
Well, with that being said - I am in period hell! I have never had cramps like this and my mood swings are nuts.
The period hell could be the result of extra estrogen in your system from weight loss. Estrogen is stored in fat cells, and when you lose weight, your fat cells dump that estrogen back in your bloodstream. I never had cramps in my life until I started low-carbing and discovered a whole new world of pain 4 days of the month, along with wicked mood swings and a compulsion to eat during PMS time.

I found flaxseed to be helpful - it seems to help the body flush the excess estrogen; once I started making sure I eat at least 1 TB/day in my diet, the cramps eased off a lot.

Calcium and magnesium are also really important, and they work fairly quickly on cramps. Be sure you're getting 1200 mg of calcium/day (in 3 doses - your body can only process 400 mg. calcium at a time) and 400 mg magnesium/day (with the caveat that if you don't currently take magnesium pills, you add them slowly since too much all at once can cause gastric problems). Hope that gets you through the worst of it.
MerryKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 12:43 PM   #5
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Jennyl
Start Date: manana
mine are like this a lot. I'm waiting to see a gynocologist about the situation. For me the worst is the heavy bleeding. I have to set my alarm to wake up during the night or I wake up to a crime scene situation!
Jennyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:22 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: raindroproses
Stats: 5'6" - 203/151/150 - Size 14/6/4
WOE: NK (less than 20 total carbs daily)
Start Date: January 25th 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennyl View Post
I have to set my alarm to wake up during the night or I wake up to a crime scene situation!
Oh man, I hate to laugh but I know EXACTLY what you mean! I used to tell my roommate that he'd better hope we never have an actual crime occur in our apartment, or else they're bound to find all KINDS of interesting things when spraying Luminol

All kidding aside though, I hear you about the heavy bleeding! And the cramping, for the OP. I have PCOS so my periods have always been a nightmare... now with all that extra estrogen being dumped into my system, it's not hard to imagine why I've felt so terrible!
raindroproses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 04:23 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tinamanni
Stats: 250/192/150
WOE: 80% fat
Thanks for relating! I've always had bad cramping but not like this, and I never lose control like that when I am in ketosis (which is the reason I stay in it).

I will look into calcium and magnesium - I'm awful at taking vitamins and supplements daily so that is one of my near future goals as it is.
tinamanni is offline   Reply With Quote