Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2013, 02:18 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: muncheechee
Stats: 277/260/150
anyone having a lc pregnancy?

Hi ladies,
I just found out I'm pregnant with our long awaited second child. I'm a t2 diabetic so staying lc is a must. With my previous pregnancy I didn't watch what I ate and had to use a lot of insulin and gained too much weight. This time I plan to use lc to reduce our eliminate the need for insulin.

So have any of you stayed lc during pregnancy? Any advice?
muncheechee is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-2013, 04:19 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Arctic_Mama
Stats: 257/145.8/140
WOE: Atkins 2002/Protocol
Start Date: Began losing 10/08. Working off last 20 lbs.
We just discussed this on the baby talk thread a few pages back. Short answer - yes, I'm doing it, another gal is as well, and several of us have had past pregnancies VLC/ZC. It can be done healthfully and safely, I'm never going back to a more liberal carb intake during pregnancy again! I feel soooo much better this way

Congratulations on your new bean!
Arctic_Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 04:25 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LucilleMcgill
Stats: 240/209/150
WOE: low/moderate carb
Start Date: 11/19/2012 while pregnant b/c Gestational Diabetes
Hi! I was diagnosed in November with Gestational Diabetes. I immediately started low carbing. Right away my blood sugar numbers came down. I did this for about a month before the GD classes I had to take at the perinatologists office. After the classes I tried their diet for about a week. My numbers were way too high. So I stayed on my low carb plan for the rest of my pregnancy. Doing it my way I did not need insulin. I walked and ate low carb about 50 grams a day. I lost about 10 pounds from November to January and then I maintained at 228-230 for the rest of the pregnancy. I was monitored by my midwife and perinatologist. My baby was not big like I was told she would be at my initial diagnosis. I did not need to be induced, my baby had no blood sugar issues after birth. Everything was wonderful to which I am totally grateful to God and low carb for and to a very supportive midwife whom I found after my GD diagnosis!!! I firmly believe low carb can fix and help our bodies. Now I'm continuing low carb while nursing. That is just my experience and I am no expert at all. I didn't even really know what GD was before all of this. I'm also not sure about any issues if you already have diabetes. I just felt like I couldn't tax my body with all those carbs when I knew it was already not using them properly. I wish you all the best and CONGRATULATIONS!!!!
LucilleMcgill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 04:25 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: bacon bit
Stats: 201/137.2/135 5'2"/33 yrs
WOE: Moving up the Induction ladder
Start Date: May 2011
I went LC to conceive. It worked and I stayed LC but not as drastic-not like I was doing it to lose weight.
bacon bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 04:33 PM   #5
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: pocahontas
I stayed LC with my pregnancy a couple yrs ago. I kept it at around 50-60 carbs per day, only gained 12 lbs and never had to use any meds. It was wonderful! the first tri is the hardest, I couldnt stand the smell of meat cooking but it soon passed and I was able to keep on keeping on. Congrats on the bundle!

Last edited by pocahontas; 03-18-2013 at 04:34 PM..
pocahontas is offline   Reply With Quote