Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Women's Health
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2013, 01:21 PM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Happycat21
Stats: Ugh. Can't use the "new baby" excuse anymore!
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: every day
Polyp biopsy and very anxious.....

I need all the well wishes and support I can get right now since I am a super nervous nelly right now.......

Ugh----just found out that they found a polyp in my uterus from a pelvic ultrasound I had done (due to super heavy periods I have been having ever since I stopped breastfeeding baby boy #2). So, now I have to have a biopsy. Tomorrow I go in for my "exam" with my OB and we are going to discuss the best course of action here. Apparently there are three different ways to get at it and each way sounds worse than the other. I have been pregnant for practically 2 years straight here....I am so done with my "lady parts" being messed with. I am freaking scared.

Anyone ever have this issue before? I may just opt for a D&C since at least I get put out for that.

Our baby boys that we waited so long for. They are 359 days apart!

Sharon
Happycat21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-2013, 01:34 PM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Purrgirl
Stats: 146/128 5'6
WOE: Vegetarian
Praying for the best.
Purrgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 01:51 PM   #3
Plastic Wrap Ninja

Gallery: BigBravesGirl
Stats: 397 / 330.2 / 2??
WOE: Biggest Loser Challenge
Start Date: Feb 8, 2014
Praying for you my sweet friend.
BigBravesGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 01:54 PM   #4

Gallery: Karerose
Start Date: late 2003
I've had about 4 or 5 uterine polyps. The first time they just took it out in the office - no problem. The second time I think I had two, but they had gotten too big and it was too painful when trying to take it out in the office so I went for surgery - very easy outpatient surgery. All that was years ago.

Just last year they found another polyp which was I guess in a weird location because they didn't discover it even when doing a regular ultrasound. It was located right around the cervix and they discovered it when doing an sis ultrasound. They realized it was there when trying to get the thing up past the cervix. At that point they already had discovered a fibroid and were checking that out. I ended up having surgery and while in there they took out the polyp too. Once again easy surgery - outpatient and just minor cramping for a day or two after - TOM is way way worse.

The chance of cancer is pretty slim.

What are the three ways they talked about getting at it? I'm sure it depends on where it is because like I said the one that was near my cervix they didn't even notice until I was uncomfortable during the sis. And the only reason they didn't do the second (might have been 2 at the time) in the office was because it was too big and was hurting me when they tried.

Did they talk about doing a hysteroscopy and removing it. A hysteroscopy really just means they go in and look around and then cut out the polyp.
Karerose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 01:58 PM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

One was the D&C. The other was where they fill your uterus with water and flush out your fallopian tubes and stick this thing through your cervix and do a sonogram (that is just to get a better look, not to biopsy---I said no thank you, I've had that done before when I was going through infertility treatements and it was the most painful thing I've had done to date). Now that I've gone through child birth twice, those count as the most painful thing I've done to date, lol. The third thing was something she could do in the office if it was easy enough to get at but there were no drugs involved with that. Hell no!!!! I want drugs. It might have been the hysteroscopy? Do they do that in the office?

I also have fibroids and was convicned that they were causing the super heavy periods.....but was thrown for a loop when she mentioned polyps.
Old 03-18-2013, 02:25 PM   #6

Well I read about the D&C only for polyp removal and it wasn't recommended because they said they it could be missed.

That sonogram you are talking about sounds like what I had, but I don't remember them mentioning the fallopian tubes. That is the sis ultrasound. I do remember that was a bit painful, although not the worst thing they have tortured me with.

The first one I had done in the office was years ago, but it was small enough and easy enough to get to it really didn't hurt. No real recovery that I can remember but that was about 15 years ago.

In the last year I've had two hysteroscopies and they really are no big deal except that they put you to sleep. I freak out a bit when they do that to me - just because. There really is no actual pain though except minor cramping after. My periods are always much worse. There is a two week period where you can't use tampons or have sex because your cervix is opened and it risks infection. I couldn't pin point one spot being more painful where I thought they cut something out. They don't even offer you painkillers because you really don't need them.

I just had a hysteroscopy in January without a polyp removal and I couldn't tell you the difference from the one a few months before where they did remove a polyp.

I'm having another one next week when they resection a fibroid. The hysteroscopy doesn't bother me, but them cutting out a giant fibroid is making me a bit nervous. It bothers me more that this time I have to get blood tests (one is to check my blood type) and for the last two I didn't. They also didn't check my blood type last year when I had a surgical breast biopsy - and they were definitely cutting stuff out then too. Enough about that.

The first time I had the hysteroscopy last year and not just for the polyp, but some other stuff they really knocked me out including intubating me. That was what hurt me after more than anything else - felt like I got strep throat. In January they just did the twilight sleep like when they do for colonoscopy so no throat issues.
Old 03-18-2013, 02:39 PM   #7
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: SillverOrchid
Stats: Highest weight 214\209.5/180/155
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: May 13 Restart
SillverOrchid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 02:55 PM   #8

Forgot to mention - with the D&C they are just scraping the lining of the uterus, and that is how they can miss getting the polyp. The tool they use can push the polyp over if it doesn't hit just right. With the hysteroscopy they are looking in the uterus with a camera and will zero in on the polyp and grab it and cut it off at the root, so they know they get it. They will also look around at everything to make sure it looks like it should - maybe take some pictures of those fibroids.
Old 03-18-2013, 04:22 PM   #9
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Gladsome
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 4/3/08
I had 4 polyps and a fibroid in my uterus. I had mine taken out during an ablation so, I was in the hospital completely out!

It is good to catch them early.

I would recommend a procedure where you are not awake! or medicated... It is not pleasant when they do things in your uterus! JMO
Gladsome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 02:10 PM   #10

Did you go to your doctor today? Are you feeling less anxious?
Old 03-20-2013, 07:31 AM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi thanks for checking in, yes I had the appointment yesterday morning. She recommended the D&C with a hysterocopy (sp?). We have that scheduled for April 5 now. I just have to get clearance from my Primary Care doctor that it is okay to put me "under". I believe they use propyphol or something like that, kind of like a twilight sleep. She told me I wouldn't remember them doing anything. I hope not! I have it scheduled on a Friday so I can hopefully have the weekend to recover if needed and then get back to work on Monday. I'm a little less anxious now that I know we have a plan. I wish I didn't have to have any procedure done, but at least we have something concrete now.
Old 03-20-2013, 10:09 AM   #12
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: rosedec21
Stats: 215/190/137
WOE: WW Points Plus
Start Date: April 1st/2003
With the twilight sleep , it feels like you were put under though . Don't be anxious at all .
rosedec21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:52 AM   #13

Believe me you won't need the whole weekend to recover. You will feel fine the next day. Doesn't mean you can't take advantage of your husband taking care of you and everything else for the weekend.

Be warned that there is a possibility that you might slightly wake up and be aware of what is going on around you, but they will knock you right back out. I've never had it happen to me because I worry so much about being put to sleep, I get hardly any sleep the night before and I'm exhausted by the time they put me under. I think only one of my doctors even mentioned the possibility of slightly waking up. However, I know a few people that haven woken up during procedures but they experienced no pain, just awareness, before they were put back to sleep.
Old 03-20-2013, 11:09 AM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karerose View Post
Believe me you won't need the whole weekend to recover. You will feel fine the next day. Doesn't mean you can't take advantage of your husband taking care of you and everything else for the weekend.
This is what I'm thinking....a weekend of catching up on my DVR would be divine!!!
Old 03-20-2013, 11:11 AM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karerose View Post
Be warned that there is a possibility that you might slightly wake up and be aware of what is going on around you, but they will knock you right back out. I've never had it happen to me because I worry so much about being put to sleep, I get hardly any sleep the night before and I'm exhausted by the time they put me under. I think only one of my doctors even mentioned the possibility of slightly waking up. However, I know a few people that haven woken up during procedures but they experienced no pain, just awareness, before they were put back to sleep.

That sounds a bit scary....good gawd!!! Can I have a few Ambien in my IV too just to be sure??!!
Old 03-20-2013, 12:11 PM   #16

Don't be scared because they will knock you right back out. Of all the people I've talked to that it happened to there really was only a few seconds of awareness with no pain before they went right back to sleep. I only mention it so you are aware there is a possibility. I think I would have freaked out more if it had happened to me if I didn't know there was a possibility.

The first procedure last year I had with the twilight sleep was the colonoscopy and when a friend mentioned she woke up during hers. They never mentioned the possibility to me, but at least I knew ahead of time. I think the only doctor that mentioned the possibility was for the breast biopsy. She said something like I might become aware of what is going on around me for a few minutes, so at least she warned me. By that time I knew of the possibility from more than just my first friend.
Old 03-20-2013, 01:24 PM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

My one friend who has had a couple D&C's due to miscarriages said that they told her she kept talking to them throughout one of them. She has no memory of it though.
Old 03-20-2013, 01:33 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happycat21 View Post
My one friend who has had a couple D&C's due to miscarriages said that they told her she kept talking to them throughout one of them. She has no memory of it though.
Never heard of that, but I'm sure it happens sometimes and they never mention it.

I did talk through a D&C once but I was awake for it. I was very well drugged though. It was an emergency one and perhaps why they didn't put me to sleep. Or maybe they just did them differently back then - more than 30 years.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:20 AM   #19
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Okay....so I just realized that DH scheduled our tax appointment with our accountant who happens to be in New Jersey (about an hour drive) and we are in Connecticut the day after the surgery. (Long story as to why we use an accountant so far away.....) In all fairness, he scheduled that appointment first before I scheduled the surgery. It will be too hard to reschedule the tax appointment since they are so booked up on the weekends and it is almost April 15 anyway.....so my question is, do you think I'll feel like sitting in a car for so long and in the accountant's office going over taxes the day right after? Groan....I was so hoping to just lay around in bed and catch up on my DVR.
Old 03-28-2013, 09:05 AM   #20

Quote:
Okay....so I just realized that DH scheduled our tax appointment with our accountant who happens to be in New Jersey (about an hour drive) and we are in Connecticut the day after the surgery. (Long story as to why we use an accountant so far away.....) In all fairness, he scheduled that appointment first before I scheduled the surgery. It will be too hard to reschedule the tax appointment since they are so booked up on the weekends and it is almost April 15 anyway.....so my question is, do you think I'll feel like sitting in a car for so long and in the accountant's office going over taxes the day right after? Groan....I was so hoping to just lay around in bed and catch up on my DVR.
You might be tired, but you will feel okay physically to be sitting in the car. I'm at work today and just had my fibroid resectioning on Tuesday. That was worse than the polyps being removed. I don't think for the polyps removal they even gave me a pain med prescription, but they gave me two for the fibroid. I didn't need any after the stuff I took in the hospital. I was pretty tired yesterday, and my throat was real sore, but I would have been fine if I had a long drive somewhere even more than an hour away. I wouldn't worry about it at all since he can do the driving.
Old 04-04-2013, 08:11 AM   #21

Good luck tomorrow and try not to worry too much. I know that is easier said than done, but believe me it isn't bad at all. Well I still don't like the being put to sleep part, but the other part is easy.

I don't remember if this was mentioned, but make sure you have some pads because you can't use tampons and there will be some minor bleeding. They will give you a pad at the hospital, but you will need to use them for a few days. I actually put one of the slim ones on before I go to the hospital so when I get dressed after the procedure I have that instead of the bulky ones.
Old 04-04-2013, 11:02 AM   #22
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thank you for remembering me and for the good thoughts!! I really appreciate it. I'm super anxious.....nothing to eat or drink after midnight. Hope that doesn't mean i can't have a glass of wine or two *before* midnight?
Old 04-04-2013, 11:03 AM   #23
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Like at 11:59 pm, lol!!!
Old 04-04-2013, 11:53 AM   #24

Gallery: pocahontas
Good luck Sharon, keep us posted!
pocahontas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 02:30 PM   #25

Quote:
Thank you for remembering me and for the good thoughts!! I really appreciate it. I'm super anxious.....nothing to eat or drink after midnight. Hope that doesn't mean i can't have a glass of wine or two *before* midnight?
Not sure about that wine. Last year when I had the hysteroscopy with polyp removal, and January when I had the hysteroscopy without they didn't mention anything about drinking alchohol the day before. However, last week when I had the hysteroscopy with fibroid removal the anesthsiologist said "you didn't have any alchohol yesterday did you?" I was surprised because I don't think in any instructions it said I couldn't. I didn't have any so not sure what they would have said if I said I did.
Old 04-08-2013, 08:32 AM   #26
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Well, it's done and over, thankfully! I feel like I did about 40,000 sit ups (althought my abs are still not flat ) I'm a bit sore and crampy and have a little bleeding. But I was out, I mean out cold for this procedure. The last thing I remember is them putting some "oxygen" mask on my face. "Oxygen", yeah right! I woke up crying because I had a dream that my 5 month old had started walking and talking and I missed it all. So I remember one nurse wiping my tears and another nurse spoon feeding me ice cubes.

Anyway, the "polyp" wasn't even a polyp after all, it was some kind of mass, maybe scar tissue, she wasn't sure. They sent it for a pathology anyway, and I just got the call from my OB that it was negative. So, I am glad that is behind me. I do have a follow up appointment with her in 2 weeks so I guess I'll find out more about what this "mass" was. I wonder if it was retaind placenta? I just hope now that it's out, my periods will settle down a bit.
Old 04-08-2013, 08:33 AM   #27
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Oh, and I didn't have any wine the night before. I only had 4 slices of pizza from my favorite pizza place plus tons of water. I woke up starving of course because of all the carbs.
Old 04-08-2013, 05:41 PM   #28
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: rosedec21
Stats: 215/190/137
WOE: WW Points Plus
Start Date: April 1st/2003
So glad its all behind you and all is well !!!
rosedec21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:21 AM   #29
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosedec21 View Post
So glad its all behind you and all is well !!!
Thank you!!!
Old 04-10-2013, 11:28 AM   #30

I hope since it wasn't a polyp and scar tissue that it does help. I don't know much about issues with scar tissue except that I've had a friend that had many surgeries and different issues because of scar tissue. When you go in for your post op I would discuss possible issues you might have and if they think removing it won't cause more scare tissue.

I'm surprised you got results so fast. Maybe your doctor rushed them because he knew you were nervous.

I'm confused abuot the sit up remark? Do you mean because you were that sore? My period cramps were 100x more painful than the cramps after the surgeries. Well the last surgery for the fibroid it was a different kind of pain when I first woke up and enough to take a pain killer at the hospital, but once I went home I didn't need the Percoset or Motrin they prescribed. I didn't get any prescriptions for the polyp removals even in the hospital.