Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Women's Health
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2013, 11:44 AM   #1
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Gladsome
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 4/3/08
What questions do you ask your doctor if you think...

you are starting menopause!

I have an upcoming appointment with my Gyn and I have missed 2 periods and have been having mild hot flashes. (My whole life I have been 99.9% on time)

What questions should I ask my doctor?
Can she test my hormone levels?
Should I ask her to test my thyroid?

Any advise?

Once your menstrual cycle has stopped how long do the hot flashes stick around for? Do they get terribly bad before they ease up?
Gladsome is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-2013, 11:48 AM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Jennyl
Start Date: manana
I have a similar problem. I have an appointment to see the gynaecologist but the earliest I could get was November! I'm not happy about that. I have the hot flashes, but uNfortunately my period hasn't stopped, it's gotten 100 times worse. It's really awful. I'm sorry I don't have any advice, I will be watching this thread though, and let us know what happens when you have your appointment.
Jennyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:57 AM   #3
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Terilynn
Stats: back to LC 1/6/14, going to stick to & make it
WOE: LC
You could have a long wait.

I have had two periods in the last 3 years - hot flashes still going strong.

I refuse to give in and take hormones.
Terilynn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 12:02 PM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Ailuros
WOE: Controlled carb, real food
It’s been about three and a half years since my last period. Hot flushes are milder and less frequent now. I still get very hot, then cold after eating, and any cold or flu destabilises my temperature and sparks them again.

Really, for me, they were irritating, but not devastating. Being totally exhausted and depressed was far worse than having a wacky temperature. That’s easing too now.

I didn’t see a doctor or take any hormones. With hindsight, if i’d known what it would be like, maybe I would have done…
Ailuros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 12:58 PM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: catkan
WOE: Moderate Carbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gladsome View Post
you are starting menopause!

I have an upcoming appointment with my Gyn and I have missed 2 periods and have been having mild hot flashes. (My whole life I have been 99.9% on time)

What questions should I ask my doctor?
Can she test my hormone levels?
Should I ask her to test my thyroid?

Any advise?

Once your menstrual cycle has stopped how long do the hot flashes stick around for? Do they get terribly bad before they ease up?

Write down your symptoms so you can remember what to tell your Dr.
She can test your hormone levels. There are 2 ways. Blood and saliva. I would definitely ask her to test your thyroid. Have her test your FT3 and FT4. She will probably also test your TSH.

If you go the hormone route, do ask for bio-identical hormones.
catkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 03:06 PM   #6

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
menopause is normal and on the whole, a POSITIVE change. so nice not to have periods, cramps, migraine headaches (completely gone,) breast tenderness, and all those other things that go with the hormonal ups and downs every month. just remember this when people act like it's a medical condition that needs treating...

I agree hot flashes are a drag. mine lasted a good long while. but they ended and probably would have done so earlier had I not fooled around with hormone replacement therapy which seemed the thing to do back then. knowing what we do now, I would not do that.

I think you just tell your doc what is going on and don't expect him to do anything about it.

this shouldn't have anything to do with thyroid that I can see.

good luck *hug*
Old 03-20-2013, 01:27 PM   #7
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Karerose
Start Date: late 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennyl View Post
I have a similar problem. I have an appointment to see the gynaecologist but the earliest I could get was November! I'm not happy about that. I have the hot flashes, but uNfortunately my period hasn't stopped, it's gotten 100 times worse. It's really awful. I'm sorry I don't have any advice, I will be watching this thread though, and let us know what happens when you have your appointment.
That is an awful long time to have to wait. Can you go to another doctor? You might be a candidate for the ablation until you go through menopause. Menopause could still be years away. Don't do what I did and suffer for years thinking they periods should stop any day now - I'm in my early 50s and they haven't stopped yet.
Karerose is offline   Reply With Quote