Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Women's Health (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/womens-health/)
-   -   In need of some womanly advice... (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/womens-health/799386-need-some-womanly-advice.html)

raindroproses 03-13-2013 06:30 PM

In need of some womanly advice...

Not to exclude the men or anything, but I'm afraid we just wouldn't be having the same concerns in this regard :laugh:

I've been finding since starting LC I've been bloating FAR less on a regular basis like I used to... dairy (mostly milk) and gluten used to make me bloat terribly and rather painfully as well, so I've been enjoying feeling normal for a change lately.

However, during that special time of the month... ugh :annoyed:

I know when I used to bloat during that time and my stomach was really distended/painful I used to sip on ginger ale or pop mints constantly, but none of that is LC obviously and I'm not big into the diet/sugar free varieties of things either usually because it seems like some artificial sweeteners cause a weird reaction in me like sugar does. Nowadays I've been sipping on peppermint tea on occasion, but I find that helps the cramping... but not the bloating.

Have any of you ladies found anything diet-friendly that really helps with the bloating from your cycle, or helps to avoid carrying around that extra water weight for a week or more?

I know drinking plenty of water is important as always, but I always try to drink plenty anyway. I also know avoiding crazy amounts of sodium would probably help, and I do try to cut down a little bit during that week. But I'm wondering if anyone's found anything better that's natural/safe that might provide some relief from this horrible bloating :o

Thanks so much! :heart:

Nancypie11 03-13-2013 10:43 PM

How about ginger tea?

Ntombi 03-13-2013 11:17 PM

I was going to suggest ginger as well.

raindroproses 03-14-2013 03:34 AM

Does ginger actually help the bloating? I really hate the taste for some reason (in most things other than ginger ale anyway) but if it works, I might have to try it! I thought it just helped on the cramping end and not with the bloating... I'll just have to get to the health food store now if that's the case :)

mom23kids 03-14-2013 05:45 AM

:hugs: I dont't have bloating issues, but my darn tom now lasts longer since I've started losing weight :down: I'm hoping it will adjust back as my body gets used to my new weight.

baileygirl3 03-14-2013 06:49 AM

I can't be of much help to you right now cause my TOM is all of the charts, not because of this WOE, but because I had my tubes tied last year and I had come off the depo and I am still trying to get back to "normal" whatever that may be...good luck to you!

Krissy2010 03-14-2013 07:07 AM

Maybe some diet ginger ale. I will say that I've found when I'm in a deep ketosis I tend to spot which drives me nuts! I find myself bloated during my Tom and just let it do it's thing for that week and I stay off the scale because I know I want be happy if I do. Try drinking some water with lemon as well since it has a diuretic effect!

SweetMe678 03-14-2013 07:36 AM

Dont you love how hormones cause the darnedest intestinal things. I surely do NOT. The ginger tea, or I think in the Atkins 72 book? He had a recipe for ginger syrup you could add to seltzer water. Honestly I mostly just suffer through my issues, since they are way less severe with LC. Although when I added borage oil to my regimen some of my symptoms lessened even more. In the past I have also taken Evening primrose oil and there were times that i was surprised when I started, no pms, no intestinal problems, no bloating etc. It didnt happen like that every month, but enough that I kept taking it :D

Hope you find some relief!

raindroproses 03-14-2013 10:56 AM

Thank you so much for the replies everyone! I've heard of Evening Primrose Oil being very good for PMS and PMS-like symptoms, so I might have to ask my doctor about that :) I may also give ginger tea a shot, maybe iced if I can't take the taste of it hot... I'm sure it'd be good with some liquid Splenda added!

I have PCOS, so my cycle is ALWAYS out of control unfortunately... it's just before I was practicing LC I used to "baby" myself a bit whenever it came, and I'd just pig out on whatever horrible foods my body craved, and chug ginger ale like it was nobody's business :laugh: No more of that now thankfully, but geez is it ever hard sometimes!

I'm hoping as I continue to lose weight I'll manage to have less issues, since that's the way it's SUPPOSED to be with PCOS-ers and I've seen many LC-ers as well saying it's improved their symptoms. I've read that sometimes fat cells contain some nasty stuff though, and when they break down they can cause women to have issues while expelling them out of the body (usually acne I guess, but maybe cycles could be affected too?) so maybe it'll eventually slow and I can have some peace! :)

MerryKate 03-16-2013 11:50 PM

Raindroproses, are you taking supplements? Taking enough calcium, magnesium and potassium is important with low-carb, and goes a long way towards preventing bloat. They also help with PMS symptoms, especially the emotional ones, and the magnesium helps prevent cramps. (All that from 4 little pills!) If you start taking it, start low and work up to the 450 mg/day of magnesium - too much and you'll be spending extra time in the bathroom.

raindroproses 03-22-2013 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MerryKate (Post 16320151)
Raindroproses, are you taking supplements? Taking enough calcium, magnesium and potassium is important with low-carb, and goes a long way towards preventing bloat. They also help with PMS symptoms, especially the emotional ones, and the magnesium helps prevent cramps. (All that from 4 little pills!) If you start taking it, start low and work up to the 450 mg/day of magnesium - too much and you'll be spending extra time in the bathroom.

I have no idea how I missed this reply! :o

I'm actually not taking any supplements right now. I'm on a bad medication for my thyroid right now that I'm trying to get off of, and I'm supposed to be seeing an endo soon to discuss new medications and testing for deficiencies. I could probably ask my doctor if taking certain supplements would be okay though... I know certain medications interact with magnesium and other things strangely, so I'd definitely have to check first!

I've never heard it helps with bloating and emotional issues though, that's interesting! I'm the emotional type of PMS-er. I never get angry or ragey... I just cry :laugh: I do retain a lot of water and bloat too though, so if it'd help that'd probably be a good thing.

I'm surprised with all the dairy (from HWC, sour cream, cheese, etc) I'd need extra calcium though, hmm. I'm so unfamiliar with what supplements I should be taking and in what quantities... I haven't taken a multi-vitamin since I was a teen, and I used to take Fish Oil for my cholesterol back in the day and quit that too. Nowadays I pop my lousy synthroid, use my Nuvaring to regulate my PCOS symptoms, and call it a day :laugh:

I think the only thing I'd worry about with magnesium is that it's sometimes used as a laxative. Anything with a laxative effect has seemed to make me retain water lately, to the point where I had to stop taking Miralax because it started to seem to affect me weirdly. I wonder if that's common? :dunno:

MerryKate 03-24-2013 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raindroproses (Post 16331422)

I'm actually not taking any supplements right now. I'm on a bad medication for my thyroid right now that I'm trying to get off of, and I'm supposed to be seeing an endo soon to discuss new medications and testing for deficiencies. I could probably ask my doctor if taking certain supplements would be okay though... I know certain medications interact with magnesium and other things strangely, so I'd definitely have to check first!

My sister is on synthroid, too, so I'm familiar with how tricky it can be. I would definitely talk to your doctor about the supplements before adding them, but I suspect the calcium and magnesium would be okay - just not within an hour of taking your meds.

One other thread you might look at is the discussion NK and Salt - You Must Have It on the NK thread. Reddarin went into detail about the sodium cycle and how too little minerals and salts in an NK diet can cause bloat, headaches, etc. It's kind of detailed, but it might help you figure out what's causing the physical symptoms.