Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Women's Health (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/womens-health/)
-   -   Ladies of the PG (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/womens-health/799053-ladies-pg.html)

Jennyl 03-08-2013 08:34 PM

Ladies of the PG

Anyone have any experience with an iud? I've never had one but my doctor suggested it might be a possibility for my extremely troublesome period. I am going to see a gynocologist soon, but thought someone here might have some experiences or information to share.

Doing It Right 03-08-2013 11:41 PM

I have Mirena, it's been 3 1/2 years, and I love it. I've had no problems, no period, no fear of unplanned pregnancy, and no regrets. When my 5 years is up, I'll have it replaced with a new one. I'm 42 and my Dr. says I should be able to use it right through menopause and hopefully avoid some of the "problems" that come with it.
HTH

lkim 03-09-2013 12:32 AM

I am 46 and on my second. First one lasted 6 years. I have had this on 3. So so happy. No periods at all until last year when I started perimenopause. So happy with it. Even with the hormone. I cannot take the pill because the hormones gave me horrible migraines. Not problem with the mirena.

kristina 03-09-2013 07:38 AM

My daughter has the copper one without hormones. It's going very well for her with this. She can keep it in for 10 years. She doesn't do well with the hormone ones.

Laprettygurl 03-09-2013 11:42 AM

I swear my Mirena almost killed me. I had so many issues and now that I've had it out for 5 months I feel amazing.

Besides all of the crappy things I felt I gained a ton of weight on it and found it nearly impossible to lose. I lost 10 lbs almost instantly after removal.

Also, my strings went missing and they had to dig up into my uterus to get it out. What fun.

Please do a lot of reading first and make the right decision for you.

CurveControl 03-09-2013 12:12 PM

DD1 is not thrilled with the Mirena, she is planning a non hormonal IUD next time.

Jennyl 03-09-2013 03:06 PM

I appreciate the information, good and bad. I don't know anything about it so it is really helpful to hear from others with personal experience. Paulina, what were some of the things you felt? If you don't mind sharing

AllisonB 03-09-2013 05:45 PM

I looked into an IUD for this reason, but my GYN counseled me to have an endometrial ablation instead. I had no desire to have additional children and this was the perfect choice for me. YMMV.

Laprettygurl 03-09-2013 07:13 PM

I don't mind sharing at all.

So, here's what happened to me:
-From day one for about a year or so I spotted off and on. I'd say for at least 50% of the month then I'd get my period. Then it stopped for two years.
-I've felt pregnant, like really really pregnant about three or four times. Tired, sore, peeing all the time, nausea. So much so, that I've tested over and over, always with negative results. It's hard too because there's a feeling of being kind of pregnant in the background.
-Mental fogginess. This came and went. Usually I'm quite sharp minded but I got big periods of duhhh. Say, like driving down one street I get confused thinking maybe I'm on another. Or I'd forget how to spell something.
-Headaches. The WORST headaches you can imagine.
-My skin broke out constantly. Constantly. There was no end for this. It's stupid. Even when I used a product that has the same ingredients as that proactiv it got better for like two days then started up again.
-I had steadily gained weight over the past 5 years. Any attempt at controlling it failed miserably. I'd be ok for a couple days or a couple weeks then that 'omg I'm pregnant' feeling would come back and I'd find myself ravenous. I gained while on the bc pill and lost it easily after I quit. I gained after I had kiddo and found it easy to lose after my hormones stabilized. I was still in the process of losing when I had it put in too!
-Lower back pain. Random stabby uterus pains, Ovulation pain.
-Tingling in my fingers, toes, tongue.

And then I also had issues with feeling so blah, no motivation. Some anxiety.

I completely lost my libido. I was at zero. It was even painful to dtd. I am back to normal with that and sooo happy.

All in all, I never really put it together. Things came on so gradually I didn't really notice at all. I can't even remember now what made me google certain symptoms.

I had it out in October just passed. This is the first winter in years I haven't had any sort of mood issues. No blah. Just a great winter! No more headaches (these were getting really bad) The first TOM I had was a real bad one then after that I went right back to schedule.

I am just glad to be back to being me!

If you fb search Mirena some groups should come up with lots of ladies having issues.

Suzie 03-09-2013 08:14 PM

I don't have any personal experience with it but a close friend just had hers removed.

I know when she had it put in nearly 18 months ago after her son was born it took two appointments because the first one she gave up it was too painful.

About a month ago she started having severe pains in her abdomen. She actually went to the ER her pain was so bad. They sent her to her OBGYN saying it was either a cyst or her IUD out of place. The dr found that her IUD had gotten out of place and embedded into her uterus wall. They had to pull it out. *shudder* She has gone to just the pills now.

Jennyl 03-09-2013 09:05 PM

I don't know if I can take the pill at my age. I'm 48 and have high blood pressure

CurveControl 03-11-2013 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jennyl (Post 16306632)
I don't know if I can take the pill at my age. I'm 48 and have high blood pressure

Is it OK to use an IUD with hormones like Mirena with those issues?

I had ablation for bad periods, it didn't 'take' :( and because of age and previous blood clot I cant take BC pills.

I have had a tubal though. I don't think you would want to rely on ablation for birth control AND helping bad periods.

Jennyl 03-12-2013 10:15 PM

Anyway, I'm not sure if the hormone iud will be good for me or not. I am upset because my doctor made an appointment with the gynaecologist for me, but it's in November! Ugh, I can't believe I have to wait that long. I will have to call the office and see if they can fit me in during a cancellation or something.

Laprettygurl 03-18-2013 11:20 PM

Can you get in with a different Gyno? When I went to have mine removed there was a 6 month wait with one lady and 2 weeks with someone else. I took the two weeker.... He was good at his job but not so good with people lol... :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jennyl (Post 16312934)
Anyway, I'm not sure if the hormone iud will be good for me or not. I am upset because my doctor made an appointment with the gynaecologist for me, but it's in November! Ugh, I can't believe I have to wait that long. I will have to call the office and see if they can fit me in during a cancellation or something.