Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2013, 10:29 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Seeking
Stats: 265/241/170
WOE: Low Carb
Do you think this is PCOS?

Hello fellow LC ladies, I have been wondering if I have PCOS, and I don't have a lot of money to run out to the doctor's office right now to do all the required testing, so I'm digging around for information while I save up money and look for ways to get deals on lab work.

I guess this is sort of like playing doctor on a web forum, but this is how I get further educated on these things. I'll tell you some of my medical history and about my periods, and you tell me if you think it's PCOS (I know, it's just opinion, but it still helps). Ok, here goes:

All the labwork I have had done up to this point here

Symptoms re-iterated, with more added:

Psychiatric Symptoms:
• Depression
• Brain Fog
• Memory loss
• Short-term and long-term memory dysfunction
• Reduced cognitive function
• Confusion at times

Physical Symptoms (this is not for the faint of heart):
• Acne and oily skin since adolescence but continues into adulthood
• Inappropriate hair growth (within a 5-inch radius of the pubic region; this includes lower belly area and inner thigh area). About 2 years ago I had to start shaving these areas... I also have *NEW* hair growth on my chin and upper lip regions; thank god these are white hairs though instead of brown or black or something. I have had to start shaving certain select individual hairs in my chin region.
• Chronic fatigue
• Weight Gain (throughout my whole life including into adulthood)
• In the past two years, gained more fat in my abdomen
• Hypoglycemia symptoms
• Slow healing of bruises/wounds/cuts/nicks/scrapes/etc
• Crashing after physical activity (10+ minutes cardio)
• Itching all over my body and especially nose, vaginal and anal areas
• Bloating, water retention, and increased flatulence
• Acid reflux (comes and goes)
• Rash under breasts for years
• Yellowish/darkened color on my skin in armpit area and inner thigh area (Acanthosis nigricans?)
• Increasingly blurred vision/decreased vision in past 3-4 years
• Increasingly dry eyes in past few years
• Dizziness at times

Other Symptoms:
• Irritability, poor mood and crashing after eating high amounts of sugary foods
• Lack of motivation since age 22. I used to be a very motivated, ambitious, and driven person. I graduated from college prior to age 22.

As I have found out during the past two months via experimentation with diet, many of these symptoms greatly reduce when I am low-carbing and greatly increase when I eat a diet high in carbs. Most of my life I’ve been on a high-carb diet because I couldn’t imagine eating any differently. I’ve come a long way in a short time.

As you can see from clicking the link near the top of this thread, I have ruled out diabetes and pre-diabetes via lots of blood glucose testing, both in the lab and at home. So it's gotta be something else--perhaps PCOS.

Background on birth control, my periods, and medications:
Once upon a time before I began having a sex life, all was well in the world; my periods would start, last for 4-7 days each time, end, and then begin again in just over a month. I was slightly prone toward depression and occasionally would have light depressive episodes but they would pass.

Then, one day at the age of 21 I met a wonderful man and we fell in love. We didn't want to get pregnant, so I began on Depo Provera--one of the worst decisions I've ever made in my life. I gained over 30 pounds, became clinically depressed, and felt constantly bloated. No babies though! The depression was so bad I had to start on generic prozac to get back to feeling normal. Prozac saved my life; I experienced no negative side-effects while experiencing relief completely from all depressive symptoms. After 3 years of depo provera wrecking havoc on my body and mind, the relationship ended, I made a vow of celibacy, and I stopped birth control.

I continue to take prozac even till today; I am 28 now, and began on it when I was 21.

Fast forward to today; I'm with an even better man and we will soon be married. I stopped Depo Provera about 6 months ago and switched to Lo Loestrin Fe. I know, I know, shame on me for having went back to Depo again in the first place; you're right. But I was only on it for a total of 6 months.

I noticed a huge change when switching from Depo Provera to Lo Loestrin Fe. Almost immediately my appetite went way down to a normal level. Depo made me eat constantly; I'd feel a signal in my brain telling me to eat even when I was full on Depo.

But now my periods are being irregular. Here's the data I've gathered since starting Lo Loestrin Fe:

Period #:------Dates of Period-------------Total Days------Days Since Last Period
1--------------Oct 31, Nov 1, 2, 3, 4, 5-----6---------------Many months (had stopped Depo)
2--------------Nov 18, 19, 20, 21, 22-------5---------------18
3--------------Dec 19, 20, 21, 22------------4---------------31
4--------------Jan 5, 6, 7, 8------------------4---------------17
5--------------Jan 19 (just started today)--?---------------15

I am counting days from last period this way: Start counting at the beginning of the last period and stop at the beginning of the next period. The period data shows that my periods are have very short short luteal phases and long luteal phases but nothing normal. So, now that all the data is there, what do you think, do I have PCOS? Or could it be something else?

Thanks guys

P.S. I am currently on a program that is an extension of medicaid for women who do not qualify for other medicaid services; this program *ONLY* covers annual exams and birth control. It gives me access to a gyno, but only pays for things that DIRECTLY relate to the annual exams and birth control; it will not cover any lab work.

Last edited by Seeking; 01-19-2013 at 11:26 AM..
Seeking is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-2013, 08:50 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/206/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Yes.
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:28 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Seeking
Stats: 265/241/170
WOE: Low Carb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistizoom View Post
Yes.
So far just one response. Well this thread is a long and boring read that's for sure. I left a message for the nurse at the gyno's office a few days ago but she never called back, so I left another message just an hour ago. If she doesn't call me back I'm not sure what to make of it...
Seeking is offline   Reply With Quote