LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2013, 02:44 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: mountaingirl30
Stats: HW:380/SW:200/CW:192/GW:170
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 1/1/2013
Ladies... TOM help!!

Ok, I started Atkins induction on January 1st. My period started on time on the 13th so I wasn't even quite out of induction yet. I have a copper IUD and the normal rhythm is two heavy days with 5-7 very light days. I've had the IUD almost a year, but after 3 months I settled into this rhythm and stayed with it. I can handle two heavy days. But right now, it's the 17th and it's STILL heavy! This is not only an uncomfortable inconvenience and a romance killer, but a medical problem. I've already been dealing with iron deficiency, I can't keep having periods like this or I'll be anemic again quickly!

Is this typical when starting low carb? Will it settle soon? I only lost about 8lbs, all of it water I'm sure. I've regained 5 of those during TOM for obvious reasons. I seriously don't want to deal with this and have to worry even more about my iron levels. The IUD was bad enough (before it, my periods were very light and lasted 3 days with minimal cramping) but I'm out of long term birth control choices. I cannot take pills.

I am soooo upset right now!
mountaingirl30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-2013, 04:49 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dejaht
Stats: 233/229/180 5'11.5''
Start Date: Restart 23/8/14
Hi,

Yes I think it is typical when losing weight (not just when low carbing?) I've had the heaviest periods I've ever had since beginning low carb in August last year. I think they are starting to ease off now, and I remember reading that it is a transient effect of weight loss. I'm sure others will have better info than that to add, but wanted to say you aren't alone in this
Hope it doesn't last much longer for you, hang in there.
dejaht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 04:15 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: PassionateFire
Stats: 228.5/189.9/150-160 LBM 125
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 4, 2012
This also happened to me, but if you already have problems with your iron levels I would see your doctor to be safe!
PassionateFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 04:44 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: luvmybabyhead
Stats: 342/288/275 (2nd goal)
WOE: LC/HF
Start Date: 7/17/13
TOM evens out for me when I LC because I have PCOS. It gets more "normal", which for me is more and heavier bleeding and it lasts longer and I don't skip cycles. Def see a doc if you're concerned.
luvmybabyhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:01 AM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: stardustshadow
Stats: 248.6/163/150
WOE: VLC/IF
Start Date: July 5th 2010 (Atkins)
Yes, I always have MUCH worse periods when I am actively losing and burning fat...worse PMS, more bleeding, etc. I have heard that estrogen is stored in fat cells, so when you burn the fat up, it releases more into your blood stream. It sucks I know
stardustshadow is offline   Reply With Quote