Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Women's Health (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/womens-health/)
-   -   Low carb & Breastfeeding (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/womens-health/790486-low-carb-breastfeeding.html)

icandoit 12-01-2012 09:20 PM

Low carb & Breastfeeding

Anyone doing Low carb and breastfeeding? Ita been about 4 days for me and I'm down 3 pounds. Looking for a buddy.

Arctic_Mama 12-02-2012 04:53 PM

Sorry, I haven't given birth yet! But I will be continuing low carb after delivery as well and am wishing you the best :)

dejaht 12-02-2012 04:59 PM

I am :) My LO is 15 months though, so I'm not his main source of nutrition anymore. He has 3 breastfeeds on an average day. I was a little concerned about my supply (which has never been great anyway) when I started 4 months ago, but I've had no problems.
Congrats on the three pounds. How old is your baby?

icandoit 12-04-2012 08:04 PM

I have twins who are 8 months old. I did low carb before so I know this will work!

suzanneyea 12-06-2012 03:56 AM

My son is 8 months old and I am nursing with no issues. Plus, I am zero carb. I have no idea when I will stop since that is how I get him to sleep!

alonewithyou 12-06-2012 05:26 AM

Glad to see that I can low carb and breast feed. Low carb helps with fertility too , right? I don't know if I'll be doing low carb until I get pregnant but it's nice to know :)

suzanneyea 12-06-2012 05:34 AM

I had secondary infertility. I got pregnant eating zero carb at age 40!

alonewithyou 12-06-2012 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suzanneyea (Post 16120459)
I had secondary infertility. I got pregnant eating zero carb at age 40!

WOW that is amazeballs!!!

suzanneyea 12-06-2012 11:18 AM

I know! I now have a baby turning one and a kid turning ten in the same year. But, after waiting a decade for this baby, we just all love him so much! And he eats low carb too!

alonewithyou 12-07-2012 12:13 AM

Aww how cute :) such a happy story! I want kids someday. After school and after having a job for a while...

supreme_diva 12-08-2012 05:39 AM

I am!!! My LO is 6 weeks old.

bondzgirl 12-08-2012 08:32 PM

I just started to lc, my son is 3 weeks old. I tried to low carb while nursing my second son but he then refused to breast feed. I now know he is a super picky eater so he must of noticed a difference in the breast milk. But this time its going pretty well, however with this baby I mostly pump and bottle feed.

supreme_diva 12-09-2012 09:37 AM

That is what I was worried about too, bondzgirl. And reducing carbs so low that I go into ketosis; wasn't sure how that would effect the baby and I haven't been able to find any good info on the net about it. Everything says (of course) -- don't diet -- but after I stewed over the decision for a few weeks I finally concluded that there are people out there that HAVE to eat like this and had to remind myself that LC is a WOE, not a diet.

I'm glad I found this post -- you ladies have totally confirmed it for me!!!

Before I got pregnant, I embarked upon the 17 day diet (I've done Atkins, SB and Dukan in the past) so I don't feel like I'd disrespect the LC gods by adding a piece of fruit, if he should at some point refuse the milk.

We'll see what happens....

Congrats on all of the babies on the thread and happy nursing!!!

suzanneyea 12-09-2012 10:24 AM

I have no idea how I will ever stop nursing! That is how my baby falls asleep

Plus, I dont want to lose my boobs lol

icandoit 12-24-2012 01:40 AM

I nurse my babies to sleep too! I did that for my daughter so that's the only way I know how. I bought some lactation pills just to be sure my supply doesn't go down and so far do good. My twins eat baby food 2x a day and 1 snack so far.
I found that if I made different kinds of dishes that ill stay on plan.

lowcarbella 01-04-2013 08:25 PM

couple months ago I posted the same thing here wanting a buddy but there were no replies.so I was on my own.LO turns 10 months this week.I started at maintenace levels,then dropped carbs a little in decrements.Around 8th month ,I went into full induction.I lost a total of 46 pounds then stalled for 2-3 months gaining and losing the same 6 pounds or so.It was frustrating and I had 50 more to go.My motivation started depleting too.
Then I started adding more fat,Fat Fast,Nutritional Ketosis etc,I have just started only and it broke the stall for me.Amazingly,my milk increased after I upped fat.
I use CO,olive oil,cr cheese,cheeses,ghee,butter,nut butters etc.

supreme_diva 01-06-2013 07:55 AM

Wow lowcarbella... that is AWESOME!!!

I just got started back to LCing two days ago, so I am really looking forward to dropping some of this weight. The baby hasn't seemed to have any issues yet. I though, had a major headache all of night before last!

I also bought some Mother's Milk tea to help w/my production, proactively, in case it changed with the diet change. I go back to work next week, so I've also got a lot of pumping to do as well and figured it could only help. LOL

pocahontas 01-06-2013 10:44 AM

lowcarbella - That is great news that you were able to increase your milk when LO is 10 mo! I nursed DS for 14 mo but my supply really started tanking around the 10 mo mark. We started incorporating organic whole milk at 11 mo because I couldnt keep up with the pumping. Everything turned out OK but I would love to make it a full year without having to supplement when we have LO#2.