Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2013, 12:08 PM   #241
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/118.4/118 5'3.75"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
I am 43. I feel that is old, but then again think of it as quite young. It is my mom who is old LOL. I do have periods, but am "heading into menopause" as my doc stated at one of my last visits.

I believe she did say to not use those as well. She mentioned I think, using essential oils as a fragrance if I wanted one. I don't use perfume as my mom is allergic to anything and so I have never worn it. But yes, she is of the mind that ALL those need to be avoided, as much as one can. She understands that finances could be a factor in certain things.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-2013, 12:34 PM   #242
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Tracy210T
Stats: 194/163/150
WOE: Atkins, baby!
Hey Erin! Good info.
I might like to try the pellets. I too am worried about rotating receptor sites enough to avoid oversaturation.
I have read so much negative though about oral sex hormones of any kind. They really have me scared to try any by mouth.

Dawn, good move on getting all that plastic out...
Tracy210T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 12:35 PM   #243
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin57 View Post
Dawn- forgive me if Iím a bit rusty on my research. I did a ton of research a few years back but itís been awhile since I read up on it. You appear to be much younger than I so Iím assuming you still have periods. I would need to research the difference. I had not had a period in a long time when I first started. My estrogen, testosterone, progesterone, Vit D3 and B-12 were all totally Tanked. Iíll see what I can find on cycling progesterone if you are still having periods.

I saw your post on plastics. Did your Dr. also discuss fragrances? Dryer sheets, air fresheners, nail polish removers, insecticides? Soy?
You cycle progesterone on days 12-26 of your menstrual cycle, if you are still cycling, I believe. Thats what ive been doing for almost a year..
Old 08-29-2013, 12:46 PM   #244
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: saltnpepper
Stats: 125/104/103 5'
Start Date: long ago restart 06/11
ok, does that mean if you pick pellets, you will have a period? Even if your post menopause??
saltnpepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 01:00 PM   #245
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Erin57 I had not had a period in a long time when I first started. My estrogen, testosterone, progesterone, Vit D3 and B-12 were all totally Tanked. Iíll see what I can find on cycling progesterone if you are still having periods
So does this mean the pellets are only good for the estrogen,testosterone....not progesterone, and the Vit you may be lacking in?

Sorry for all the questions.....this is so interesting.

I got so excited I didn't say please or thank you for the prior post. Sorry.

Thanks,
Anna
Old 08-29-2013, 01:36 PM   #246

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltnpepper View Post
So does this mean the pellets are only good for the estrogen,testosterone....not progesterone, and the Vit you may be lacking in?

Thanks,
Anna
My pellets are for estrogen and testosterone. I take progesterone by mouth--it is a compounded med that I take in the mouth and let dissolve. Not under the tongue. It is hard to explain where I put it (between my cheek and gum way up near my nose--like I said hard to explain in words) , but where I do she sees less mouth sores in that spot.
dawnyama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 01:40 PM   #247

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracy210T View Post
You cycle progesterone on days 12-26 of your menstrual cycle, if you are still cycling, I believe. Thats what ive been doing for almost a year..
I have been told not to do that. Specifically by my doc, and I asked several times. I have to ask why once again. I hate that it gave me that endless TOM that one month. It was awful. But before then I was fine taking it. It didn't do that. I am really screwed up.
Old 08-29-2013, 03:51 PM   #248

Oh, and I don't want anyone to think that I have switched over completely to all the natural stuff my doc told me to. I have so much stash of lotions/deodorants/soaps in my closet that it will probably take a year to get rid of it all. I am slowly turning my kitchen over too. I don't have an endless supply of money, and won't ever. So I am doing what I can, when I can.
Old 08-30-2013, 06:03 AM   #249
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnyama View Post
I have been told not to do that. Specifically by my doc, and I asked several times. I have to ask why once again. I hate that it gave me that endless TOM that one month. It was awful. But before then I was fine taking it. It didn't do that. I am really screwed up.
Ok, thats odd.. why would a doc tell a patient NOT to apply topical bio identical progesterone to her body on the days that her body is supposed to be producing it? That way we mimic a natural cycle..
Your doc is off.. off..

I have had awesome results and not to beat a dead horse, but I noticed results almost immediately when I started on the progesterone.. changed my life.

NOW.. i want to know more about these estrogen pellets.. they seem so much more convenient.. do you get this from the compounding pharmacy as well? Can your regular MD put it in?

Last edited by Tracy210T; 08-30-2013 at 06:04 AM..
Old 08-30-2013, 06:40 AM   #250
Senior LCF Member

Quote:

Thanks,
Anna
You are forgiven!

On oral progesterone-

Dr. Lee recommends the transdermal cream rather than oral progesterone, because some 80% to 90% of the oral dose is lost through the liver. Thus, at least 200 to 400 mg daily is needed orally to achieve a physiologic dose of 15 to 24 mg daily. Such high doses create undesirable metabolites and unnecessarily overload the liver.
Old 08-30-2013, 06:56 AM   #251

Gallery: Bluqq
Stats: at birth weight, lucky for mom she had big hips
Start Date: 11/24/05
So when don't you take the progesterone? My doc doesn't have me cycling and my period is like clock work
Bluqq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 07:53 AM   #252
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluqq View Post
So when don't you take the progesterone? My doc doesn't have me cycling and my period is like clock work
My periods are almost a perfect 28 days too. I only use the cream on days 12-26 very specifically, at night right before bed and its given me back my life!

... until my estrogen and DHEA tanked that is.
Old 08-30-2013, 08:03 AM   #253

Quote:
Yup, that was me up until last month. You could set a calendar by my period. Then when my daughter got her first period, mine went wacky. I was using the progesterone daily as instructed by my doctor. So I will find out next visit what to do from here.
Old 08-30-2013, 10:33 AM   #254
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Erin57
Stats: 220/154/145 5'9"
WOE: Moderate Carb/IF
Start Date: April 2010
Dawn- I understand about the $$ involved. I think that we all do what we can. Iím not 100% organic nor do I buy all grass-fed meats. I gave up dryer sheets years ago. I clean my entire house with white vinegar. I use Neem Oil for all bug control. I became intolerant to fragrances a few years ago, so no plug- ins, scented candles or air fresheners. I still use my same old cosmetics and cheap hairspray. And I drink my water straight from the tap.

Hormone therapy is such an individual thing. There is also so much conflicting info when you start to research. I had already read most of Dr. John Leeís stuff long before I ever considered replacement therapy for myself. In the 90ís Dr. Jonathan Wright continued his research where Dr. Lee left off. I havenít seen any research that states that bio-identical hormone replacement therapy is 100% safe. Who knows what research will bring in 20 years.

You can get 4 different Drís together and you will get 4 different opinions. I had the support and guidance of 4 different Drís. I didnít go into it blindly; get my advice from Suzanne Somers or from anyone who was trying to sell me something. If I had to go back and do it again I would make the same choice. My goal with hormone therapy was never to be on it for life. I had many issues that needed to be resolved through lifestyle changes and the hormones helped me until I could make those changes. I had to get my thyroid optimized, heal my leaky gut/colitis, address my allergies and food intolerances, reduce the chemical stress, reduce the STRESS STRESS, optimize my vitamin D3, B-12, magnesium levels and address my insulin resistance.

I made the choice to discontinue the hormone implants in Jan 2013. Except for some minor acne outbreaks for a few months I havenít had any weird symptoms from coming off of them.

I do have an opinion about the clinics that offer the pellet therapy. They are expensive!! I think that I spent $2,000 per year. They did accept my flex direct card though. My regular family Dr. as well as my Gynecologist approved of what I was doing but both commented that these clinics were making a very healthy living from aging ladies like me. I didnít really like the whole ďStepford WivesĒ feel of the clinic that I used. It was obvious that they catered to rich older ladies (I am only old). They offered many expensive face and body treatments that they offered me whenever I was there.

I just wanted to share in detail what my experiences with the pellets have been. They were an important part of getting my body to be able to support itself naturally through nutrition and lifestyle changes and I donít regret using them. I will miss the testosterone the most. It was wonderful for the libido.
But, I can now take that $2,000 and put it to better use.

I look at hormone therapy the same way I would look at insulin if I was diagnosed with Type II diabetes. . If I was diabetic I might need to stay on insulin forever if I was unwilling to make the lifestyle changes required to manage it. I would eventually need more and more insulin once I stayed on it. Hormone therapy is not meant to last for life. The more you replace the less your body will actually produce on its own. It is meant to support you until you can help your body do its own wonderful thing.

Iíve included a picture of the endocrine system as a PSA.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg endocrinesystem.jpg (58.5 KB, 6 views)
Erin57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 11:46 AM   #255

I've started down the all natural path. We only buy organic chicken now, cow from a local farmer , eggs etc...I started making soaps....I started going natural when I was having the unexplained hives....it blossomed.
Old 08-30-2013, 11:46 AM   #256
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Erin. I loveto hear other women's experiences with this hormone stuff! I totally agree with you that you ask 4 different doctors their opinions and you get 4 different answers.. that is dead on. *sigh

Sounds like you have made some serious lifestyle changes
Do you think you had any specific time, age, etc in your life where the hormones were an absolute must have? Like you literally couldnt live without them?

Yikes on the cost of pellet therapy
Oh and yikes on drinking tap water.. i saw a water quality study recently about our area and our water was in the top 10 nastiest in the US
We have a house filter thingee.. i have no idea if it works. It could all be mental but it puts my mind at ease

WOW you had alot of health issues! I bet you were miserable. How are you now?

I dont have any health problems other than a loss of hormones (that I know of)
I eat paleo/ primal blueprint and Atkins, do 3 jazzercise classes a week, 2 kickboxing classes, 2 zumba classes and i run. I cook at home every single day and feed my family from home. I base all of our meals on protein and produce. My kids eat everything I make including squash, brocolli and raw veggies from the neighbors garden. He shares alot! We rarely eat any fast food if we can help it. I take my vitamins, drink a gallon of water a day, dont drink any sodas and have eliminated artificial sweetners and wheat. I make sure and try for 8 hours of pitch black sleep a night and really, really do think I am doing the best I can, lifestyle wise. It is a continuinal education kind of thing to me and Ive *almost* become obssesed with it. I really do not think there is anything else that I can change or improve to optimize my health but then again..i learn something new every single day it seems...
And i am 100% miserable right now with these depleted hormones. I cannot imagine living like this for the next 20 years!
The menopausal website forums are such gloom, doom and dispair most days. These women truly are miserable and just "sweating it out".. Its so rare to lurk around and find someone who found their mo-jo and are positive and helpful
I cant do that.. i have to find balance and restore whats gone.

If you dont mind me asking Erin, how old are you now and when did you start hormone therapy? Did it help you for the most part?
Old 08-30-2013, 11:49 AM   #257
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I've started down the all natural path. We only buy organic chicken now, cow from a local farmer , eggs etc...I started making soaps....I started going natural when I was having the unexplained hives....it blossomed.
that is so awesome.. we have no local farmers, farms, farmers markets
I use our military commissary for our groceries and the food is insane cheap so I am able to buy mostly organic and still stay in my budget.
Old 08-30-2013, 11:51 AM   #258

We are gluten free. My youngest has celiacs. That made a huge difference for us. Joints re better, no swelling etc.....I'm convinced Gluten is poison
Old 08-30-2013, 12:26 PM   #259
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
We are gluten free. My youngest has celiacs. That made a huge difference for us. Joints re better, no swelling etc.....I'm convinced Gluten is poison
It is! And its in everything.
I am convinced that aspartame is poisin and its killing us slowly. It is also in everything. Are you aware you cant even get chewing gum w/out aspartame?

I threw away everything in my house labeled "sugar free" years ago. Such misleading labels nowadays! We try not to eat anything with aspartame or its 50 other names, ie, sucralose..
Stevia only.
Old 08-30-2013, 01:17 PM   #260
Senior LCF Member

Dawn wrote:

Quote:
Oh, and I don't want anyone to think that I have switched over completely to all the natural stuff my doc told me to. I have so much stash of lotions/deodorants/soaps in my closet that it will probably take a year to get rid of it all. I am slowly turning my kitchen over too. I don't have an endless supply of money, and won't ever. So I am doing what I can, when I can.

Me too, I could never do it all. Cost to much.
Old 08-30-2013, 01:24 PM   #261
Senior LCF Member

Erin wrote:

Quote:
You can get 4 different Drís together and you will get 4 different opinions. I had the support and guidance of 4 different Drís. I didnít go into it blindly; get my advice from Suzanne Somers or from anyone who was trying to sell me something. If I had to go back and do it again I would make the same choice. My goal with hormone therapy was never to be on it for life. I had many issues that needed to be resolved through lifestyle changes and the hormones helped me until I could make those changes. I had to get my thyroid optimized, heal my leaky gut/colitis, address my allergies and food intolerances, reduce the chemical stress, reduce the STRESS STRESS, optimize my vitamin D3, B-12, magnesium levels and address my insulin resistance.
I know this is so true....so did the pellet address thyroid problems also?

Quote:
I do have an opinion about the clinics that offer the pellet therapy. They are expensive!!
BUT

Quote:
I look at hormone therapy the same way I would look at insulin if I was diagnosed with Type II diabetes. . If I was diabetic I might need to stay on insulin forever if I was unwilling to make the lifestyle changes required to manage it. I would eventually need more and more insulin once I stayed on it. Hormone therapy is not meant to last for life. The more you replace the less your body will actually produce on its own. It is meant to support you until you can help your body do its own wonderful thing.
I think this is a great attitude. I will adopt this too.....I have an appointment next wk, to talk about pellets.

Erin thanks for sharing. Sounds like words of wisdom.

Anna
Old 08-30-2013, 01:27 PM   #262
Senior LCF Member

Tracy thanks for keeping this going. I am sure as you get older, menopause will not be so hard for you. As you have educated yourself. I did not.

Bluqq me and my dd are gluten free also. The best choice I ever made. It made a hugh dent in my migrains. ???

Anna
Old 08-30-2013, 02:21 PM   #263

Yes it cures all forts of ailments. Celiacs Anna or just health? I have tons of gluten free baking recipes
Old 09-01-2013, 05:06 PM   #264
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: shelbyla
Stats: 210/153/145
WOE: hhCG, rx hCG
Start Date: rx hCG R7 start 02/16/14
Following. I'm trying to catch up on the whole thread before weighing in on anything but suffice it to say that I've been dealing with hormonal issues for about a dozen years now (I'm 46) and have been through the wringer on thyroid, adrenal, and sexy hormone issues as well as vitamin and mineral deficiencies and weigh gain as a result.

When I get all read up, I will be back!
shelbyla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 06:16 AM   #265
Senior LCF Member

Hi Bluqq
Quote:
Celiacs Anna or just health?
Health, my dd is anaphylactic to all gluten (wheat, barley, rye) nuts, dairy and a few other things.

But I noticed several people in other places make the connection between wheat and migrains. It does seem to help. Still have them, but not as bad.

Anna
Old 09-02-2013, 06:18 AM   #266
Senior LCF Member

Hi shelbyla, I too need to read the whole thread. And I don't know much either. BUT these ladies know a lot about this stuff. Thank goodness.

Anna
Old 09-02-2013, 06:20 AM   #267

Quote:
Hi shelbyla, I too need to read the whole thread. And I don't know much either. BUT these ladies know a lot about this stuff. Thank goodness.

Anna
Shelby is my hormone/thyroid guru. She will be a tremendous asset here. I am so glad she made it here
Old 09-02-2013, 06:23 AM   #268

We need a guru!
Old 09-02-2013, 06:53 AM   #269
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
How exciting! Welcome!
JMCM1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 10:04 AM   #270
Senior LCF Member

Yes welcome! Thank you so much for hanging out with us here. Lord knows we are all trying to make sense of these hormonal issues. I welcome any help we can get in here!

I love hearing what has worked for some and not worked for others.

So, im only 2.5 weeks into the Bi-est daily regime. No relief of any kind yet but I know it can take weeks or months to get to feeling better. Think I will ask my pharmacist to up the strength of estrogen when this RX is up. She has me on 50/50 0.5 mg of estradiol and estrone.

How is everyone?