Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Women's Health
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2013, 11:55 AM   #211
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
Dawn, my DH is type I - is 61 yo and was diagnosed at age 8.

He broke his femur about 5 years ago and was diagnosed then with low D.
Only blithering all this because I know you have a child (daughter, I think?) with type I.
The doc said it was common to have low D in diabetics.

10,000 units/day and your doc said nothing? That is awesome!
And it would only matter if your levels of D tested too high!

Thank you again, Tracy our guinea!
JMCM1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-2013, 11:57 AM   #212
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/118.4/118 5'3.75"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
Thanks for that tip Judy. How is your husband? Any health issues? We are trying very hard to set her on the path to have no complications from diabetes. But it is hard keeping her blood sugar low enough that she has no damage going on in her body yet high enough to not concern the school nurse
dawnyama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 12:05 PM   #213
Major LCF Poster!

Oh, yeah, some complications. But overall quite well.
The kids who are type I now will have a much better outcome than my DH.
When he was diagnosed, his mother boiled his syringes, there were no instant bg meters, etc. He was in the hospital here & there for eating EVERYTHING at the fair! You know how it must have been - no fast-acting insulin.

He was also quite athletic which must have saved him a lot of trouble.

He had a triple bypass in 1999, and really it was the broken leg that has slowed him down. It still hurts him, poor dear.
Old 08-26-2013, 12:29 PM   #214
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Tracy210T
Stats: 194/163/150
WOE: Atkins, baby!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnyama View Post
Tracy--I am on D as well. When I went for my physical this year, I mentioned to my physician that I was on D. That I even took 10,000 IU daily. She was fine with it!! I was shocked because the bottles states to use only 5 days a week (taking the weekends off). She told me I could have it daily. I had low levels when I was tested years ago and have taken a lot ever since. Vitamin D is good stuff. I have even seen it recommended for when you start to get the first symptoms of a cold. You triple your intake and you can head it off. That is how powerful it is for your immune system.

6 weeks is a long time, but as long as you know it can take that long.........there is a light!!!!! Yay!!!
Tracy210T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 12:31 PM   #215
Major LCF Poster!

Oh - true about the cold.

I started upping my intake of D3 in 2008 (after DH's broken femur) and haven't had a cold since. Not kidding.
Old 08-26-2013, 03:39 PM   #216

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCM1 View Post
Oh, yeah, some complications. But overall quite well.
The kids who are type I now will have a much better outcome than my DH.
When he was diagnosed, his mother boiled his syringes, there were no instant bg meters, etc. He was in the hospital here & there for eating EVERYTHING at the fair! You know how it must have been - no fast-acting insulin.

He was also quite athletic which must have saved him a lot of trouble.

He had a triple bypass in 1999, and really it was the broken leg that has slowed him down. It still hurts him, poor dear.
That is great that he is in good health. I am so sorry to hear that the broken leg is still hurting though. I have heard that with broken ankles, broken feet--that they just don't go back to the way they used to be before being broken. Kind of like stories you hear about people saying they can tell the weather by how the bones behave before it actually rains, you know

Amy, my DD, is playing volleyball on her middle school team. She practices every day, 5 days a week, for 2 hours That alone has done wonders for her blood sugars.
Old 08-27-2013, 06:23 AM   #217
Senior LCF Member

Dawn, does exercise really help with maintaining a healthy blood sugar with type 1 diabetes? That is interesting.
I cant help but think exercise can fix anything
But thats just me.
My older brother is a bad, bad diabetic. Hes in the hospital again right now because his blood sugar went through the roof. EMS hauled him away.. again. THis is off topic but im venting. He is a 40 year old grown ass man for crying out loud. Take care of yourself!

/ ok. im done
Old 08-27-2013, 06:28 AM   #218
Major LCF Poster!

Tracy is he type I or type II?

Not making excuses - I'm not - but it's a disease from which you never ever get a break. If you go off the reservation sometimes the repercussions are not commensurate with the little break you took.

Sometimes you just get tired of your body letting you down.
And sometimes you can do everything perfectly and it doesn't show up in your body.

Exercise definitely uses up the glucose in the body.
So can anxiety...
Old 08-27-2013, 06:31 AM   #219
Senior LCF Member

Type 1. Diagnosed at 2! My mom was 6 months pregnant with me when he had his first seizure from low blood sugar.. or whatever it was called at that time.
He is also gluten intolerant. Going through a nasty divorce and is depressed. I hope he can pull out of this funk soon.

But yes, he feels the same as you that its 24/7/365 with diabetes..
Old 08-27-2013, 10:13 AM   #220
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: saltnpepper
Stats: 125/104/103 5'
Start Date: long ago restart 06/11
I am sorry about your brother. Does he do LC? My dh is a type 2, and you are right it is 27/7/365.....sigh.......One of my kids has a life threating medical condition. Like you never rest, never exhale. Wish I had an answer for you.

BUT on the bright side, why I came here was to thank you for posting your journey with bio identicals. I'm 50+ ??? , and I just talked to my dr about it all. I did blood work last week, her nurse called and said I was low on everything. Low T, low E, low vit D, low thyroid...so I'm going back.

Anyway you all are great, and a book of knowledge right here.

Thank you
Anna
saltnpepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 11:59 AM   #221

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracy210T View Post
Dawn, does exercise really help with maintaining a healthy blood sugar with type 1 diabetes? That is interesting.
I cant help but think exercise can fix anything
But thats just me.
My older brother is a bad, bad diabetic. Hes in the hospital again right now because his blood sugar went through the roof. EMS hauled him away.. again. THis is off topic but im venting. He is a 40 year old grown ass man for crying out loud. Take care of yourself!

/ ok. im done
We were not sure about it, but we have found that she has lower numbers after her volleyball practice. And for quite some time afterward. So it must be good!!! I am so sorry to hear about your brother. Type 1 is a very demanding disease and it is so hard to keep up with. She has to think before she puts anything in her mouth and I can see someone not wanting to do that for a day or so. But it can be very dangerous, very dangerous not to track. So I get it, I do! I hope he can pull himself together. He has such stresses right now, sounds like a momentary break is what he needed. But his body didn't agree.
Old 08-27-2013, 12:14 PM   #222
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltnpepper View Post
I am sorry about your brother. Does he do LC? My dh is a type 2, and you are right it is 27/7/365.....sigh.......One of my kids has a life threating medical condition. Like you never rest, never exhale. Wish I had an answer for you.

BUT on the bright side, why I came here was to thank you for posting your journey with bio identicals. I'm 50+ ??? , and I just talked to my dr about it all. I did blood work last week, her nurse called and said I was low on everything. Low T, low E, low vit D, low thyroid...so I'm going back.

Anyway you all are great, and a book of knowledge right here.

Thank you
Anna
Welcome! So glad to see new faces and so sorry you are going through this too. Please keep us informed of your progress as you and your doc decide what you're regime will be!
I think we can research this topic until we are crosseyed but nothing helps as much as talking with real live women who "get it" and not just medical literature websites.
So sorry about your child

Dawn, I dont think my brother will ever pull it together. UGH. So tired of stressing about him all the time. When I tell you hes a bad diabetic, I mean BAD. He doesnt put his health first, really. So scared we are going to get a call in the middle of the night saying hes gone..

That is awesome that your daughter is controlling her diabetes part way with exercise
Old 08-28-2013, 06:54 AM   #223
Senior LCF Member

I just realized this morning that ive been two full weeks without a drenching night sweat oh.. and bladder control during high intensity kick boxing and aerobics class= no leaks
That was something that was really unnerving me because I hadnt had this issue before. Probably TMI but if you've read this thread to this point, nothing probably shocks you
I know estrogen plays a big part in keeping the pelvic floor nice and tight. No estrogen= leaks.

I also dont feel quite as achy in the AM. Again, estrogen and moisture in the joints, eyes, vag ... all related.

Whats up ladies!
Old 08-28-2013, 08:08 AM   #224
Major LCF Poster!

I started having leaks when running with my dog about 6 years prior to actually being in menopause. It was absolutely unnerving!
I do not have that issue now so maybe I'm better off than I think.

I am still having very warm times at night and first thing in the morning only.
No drenching, just very warm.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:35 AM   #225
Senior LCF Member

You all are so cool!! I am looking forward to my fix of estrogen!!

Anna
Old 08-28-2013, 08:42 AM   #226
Senior LCF Member

to you both.

I have a friend who swears by the estrogen ring vs the topicals, but sorry.. that is where I draw the line
Old 08-28-2013, 09:03 AM   #227
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
to you both.

I have a friend who swears by the estrogen ring vs the topicals, but sorry.. that is where I draw the line

Oh me too!
Old 08-29-2013, 09:10 AM   #228
Senior LCF Member

I too would say NO to the ring....
Old 08-29-2013, 09:18 AM   #229
Senior LCF Member

For those of you who have pellets, do you like that? Or does creams work better?

Thanks
Anna
Old 08-29-2013, 09:40 AM   #230

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltnpepper View Post
For those of you who have pellets, do you like that? Or does creams work better?

Thanks
Anna
I have not done any creams. And the pellets have to be inserted. So a doctor's visit is necessary. I am undecided at this point if I will continue my current treatment plan. I am leaning towards not. But we shall see. The pellets to allow for not thinking about taking pills/creams every day. Just one insertion and you are done for the next 3 months or so. And there is no guess work as to how much do I put in/on--the doctor puts in what you need at the time.
Old 08-29-2013, 10:07 AM   #231
Senior LCF Member

See, I too was thinking about what a PITA these creams will be 2x a day probably for the rest of my life. ugh.
They absorb quick, arent greasy and have no smell but still.. the daily regime takes time!

Does anyone here use pellets? They sound painful
Old 08-29-2013, 10:13 AM   #232

Quote:
See, I too was thinking about what a PITA these creams will be 2x a day probably for the rest of my life. ugh.
They absorb quick, arent greasy and have no smell but still.. the daily regime takes time!

Does anyone here use pellets? They sound painful
Nope. They aren't. The doc numbs up the spot she inserts them and I don't feel them at all.
Old 08-29-2013, 10:40 AM   #233
Major LCF Poster!

I'm ignorant about the pellets but I do think it's a pita to do the cream 2x/day.
My cream has a slightly perfumy smell. For some reason I am hyper-averse to perfumy smells.

Are the pellets bio identical?
Old 08-29-2013, 10:47 AM   #234

Quote:
I'm ignorant about the pellets but I do think it's a pita to do the cream 2x/day.
My cream has a slightly perfumy smell. For some reason I am hyper-averse to perfumy smells.

Are the pellets bio identical?
Yup.
Old 08-29-2013, 11:26 AM   #235
Senior LCF Member

Quote:

Hmm.. your creams should be paraben free.. might wanna check on that. Ive given up all lotions 90% of the time just because they are endocrine disruptors..i only use the Seventh Generation stuff.

Working on giving up my Irish Spring and Aussie hair stuff

Pellets sound interesting..
Old 08-29-2013, 11:28 AM   #236
Senior LCF Member

i must need a bump in my progesterone.. a coworker is driving me to the point of daydreaming about homicide...that is so anti-balanced hormones...right?
Old 08-29-2013, 11:30 AM   #237
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Erin57
Stats: 220/154/145 5'9"
WOE: Moderate Carb/IF
Start Date: April 2010
I did the cream for a few years and then did the pellets for a few years. I definitely prefer the pellets. I never knew if the cream was actually working and I got tired of rotating body sites so that I didnít burn out my receptors. I also prefer blood testing over saliva. With pellets your body only uses what it needs.

You are tested a few weeks after your initial insert to see how your body is absorbing them. They give you a booster at that time if you need it. The incision is made with a surgical knife and then the pellets (look like a grain rice) are implanted. This is for estrogen and testosterone only. You have to do the progesterone orally.

I did 100 MG capsule of oral compounded estrogen at night. I was 8-10 years post menopausal when I started and refused to do the Dr. recommended cycling. Cycling of progesterone, even after menopause will force your body to have monthly periods again. My Dr. was upset that I refused and insisted that I sign a disclosure stating that I understood the risks of not cycling. If you donít cycle there is a risk of bleeding that is very hard to stop.
Erin57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 11:39 AM   #238

Tracy--I was told I was estrogen dominant when I first went to the clinic. She told me to go off those products and use as much natural as I can do. So I have to make that switch too. it also means getting rid of my plastics in the kitchen as well. Thankfully my husband was with me when I was chatting about this subject with the doc, so he is now helping me clear out our kitchen of the Tupperware and replacing with glass pyrex. She wants me using stainless steel water bottles too. No more plastic. The other thing she said that was real good at getting rid of the excess estrogen---indole 3 carbinol. I got it at the Vitamin Shoppe last time I used it. It is a compound of the cruciferous veggies (broccoli and cauliflower) and used for getting out the excess estrogen in our bodies. The other supplement I saw mentioned on the Dr Oz show is DIM. A quicker google and there is tons of info on that one as well. It is the same as the indole 3 carbinol. I didn't take those when I was told I was estrogen dominant and the next visit I was told I needed estrogen. I think they are so different. I was estrogen dominant in the bad kind of estrogen and the bio-identical estrogen is good for you. This is what makes it so confusing.
Old 08-29-2013, 11:43 AM   #239

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin57 View Post
I did the cream for a few years and then did the pellets for a few years. I definitely prefer the pellets. I never knew if the cream was actually working and I got tired of rotating body sites so that I didn’t burn out my receptors. I also prefer blood testing over saliva. With pellets your body only uses what it needs.

You are tested a few weeks after your initial insert to see how your body is absorbing them. They give you a booster at that time if you need it. The incision is made with a surgical knife and then the pellets (look like a grain rice) are implanted. This is for estrogen and testosterone only. You have to do the progesterone orally.

I did 100 MG capsule of oral compounded estrogen at night. I was 8-10 years post menopausal when I started and refused to do the Dr. recommended cycling. Cycling of progesterone, even after menopause will force your body to have monthly periods again. My Dr. was upset that I refused and insisted that I sign a disclosure stating that I understood the risks of not cycling. If you don’t cycle there is a risk of bleeding that is very hard to stop.
What do you mean "cycling". My doc told me to take the pro straight through the month. I had non stop bleeding til I stopped taking it altogether. I was going to ask at my next insertion appointment, but I scheduled it for the middle of the month (it was next week). I am assuming that I am so low in the pro that she wants me to take it every day. Am I really that bad off This happened after taking the pro every day for a few months too. I won't be taking it again til I see the doc on the 16th .

Last edited by dawnyama; 08-29-2013 at 11:44 AM..
Old 08-29-2013, 11:59 AM   #240
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Erin57
Stats: 220/154/145 5'9"
WOE: Moderate Carb/IF
Start Date: April 2010
Dawn- forgive me if Iím a bit rusty on my research. I did a ton of research a few years back but itís been awhile since I read up on it. You appear to be much younger than I so Iím assuming you still have periods. I would need to research the difference. I had not had a period in a long time when I first started. My estrogen, testosterone, progesterone, Vit D3 and B-12 were all totally Tanked. Iíll see what I can find on cycling progesterone if you are still having periods.

I saw your post on plastics. Did your Dr. also discuss fragrances? Dryer sheets, air fresheners, nail polish removers, insecticides? Soy?
Erin57 is online now   Reply With Quote