LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2013, 05:27 PM   #181
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnyama View Post
OMG it was that easy??? Are you kidding me?? Pharmacists really do know their stuff don't they? That is amazing finally someone listened to you I know better days are ahead for you.
I've been too quiet too long....

That is EXACTLY how I found the DO who prescribed my bhrt. Actually I was at the stop the thyroid madness website because I also had symptoms of hypothyroid.

I have a compounding pharmacy near me, called them and asked which docs prescribed natural thyroid. They gave me 3 names, but pointed me toward the one I'm going to. I had ordered the thyroid tests myself (FT3 & FT4 and TSH - it's basically a useless number but most doctors use that number solely) and presented them to my new doc at my first appointment.

She prescribed synthroid right then and there. Asked me about needing hormone replacement but I didn't know yet. I immediately started getting hot flashes and other people here in LCF said I needed natural thyroid - not synthroid - so I called and asked for that. She gave me what I wanted.

After a couple of months of feeling very weepy and unloved and completely "off", I asked for bhrt. She prescribed the cream I described earlier. I still don't know what I should have "checked" to see what my levels are, but I will ask her.

As I said a little bit ago, I'm in kind of OK place right now. But just in the last week or two have been having hot flashes again. I don't think that's the end of the world, but if I'm on hormone replacement therapy, I'd kinda like to avoid those if I could...

But yes - that's the way to go. Call a compounding pharmacy and ask for the names of doctors who prescribe there.

I'm so sorry - if I'd know you all didn't know that I'd have jumped right in.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-2013, 11:27 AM   #182
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Tracy210T
Stats: 194/163/150
WOE: Atkins, baby!
Judy, I laughed at your feeling "unloved and off".. that was funny. Ive been there!
I think hot flashes are always indicative of low estrogen.. theres a miscommunication going on between the ovaries, adrenals and hypothalamus resulting in overheating. An internal defect with the thermostat, sorta
I have been getting a little break from them but the last one I had was a few weeks back. I woke up so drenched I had to take a shower at 1am and change the sheets. Miserable.
From everything Ive read, finding your sweet spot where all or most of your symptoms are gone, is the key but takes time.
You probably just need new sex hormone serum tests and a little tweaking.
But no, I didn't know the compounding pharmacies had this little service going on! I just assumed they filled whatever the docs sent to them, honestly. And the pharmacy I have been getting my progesterone from since last fall never mentioned that they could do this. I asked the pharmacist recently who else calls in or faxes RXs to him for BIHRT. He gave me 2 names, one was the crap doctor I was already using

I sent an email to the pharmacist yesterday and thanked her so much for her quick and professional help and told her I would be sending some friends her way! She replied within a few minutes (even though she is closed) and said no problem, I am here to help you! (wow, NEVER heard that before) and she said to keep her updated as we might need to adjust according to my symptoms I think I love her.
Tracy210T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 11:38 AM   #183
Senior LCF Member

I like the STTM website. But honestly find the thyroid so confusing! I pay out of pocket for name brand synthroid every month ($34.00) because I do feel better on the name brand vs levo. My numbers are good. Free T3 and Free T4 are mid range and I supplement with a natural thyroid capsule that has kelp, iodine, selenium and natural porcine. According to my Frees, I am converting the T4 over to T3 just fine (no liver issues, thank God) but my doc keeps wanting to lower my dose because my TSH is slightly suppressed. I had to beg her to leave my dose alone! TSH is a pit hormone anyway.. its cheap and done in house.. that's the only reason the docs ignorantly continue to dose you based on the TSH and T4. Suppressed TSH keeps the antibodies away I read ?? Im negative for Hashies.
Judy so you take what for thyroid?
How are your hypothyroid symptoms?
When did you test your sex hormones last?
I cannot wait to see if bringing up my estrogen stops this hair loss and wicked joint pain. So tired of feeling like crap!
Old 08-18-2013, 11:54 AM   #184
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I take 32.5 mg of Nature-throid once/day.
My doc raised the dose awhile back to see if I'd feel better, but it was too much.
This seems to be the right amount for me.

FWIW, it might be helpful to let your awesome pharmacist know that one of the docs they recommend is a crap doctor.

When I asked my compounding pharmacy which doctors prescribed from their pharmacy, they steered me to this DO I'm going to now. They gave me 4 or 5 names, but said, "thyroid? hormones? Try doctor ____ first."

This DO is imperfect, but willing to listen and do what I want.
I just wish I hadn't had to work so hard!

My last test for my sex hormones must have been..... 9 months ago or so?
I did not pay much attention except to see the word "low" here and there.
That's why I'm still unsure which tests I should get to see if the hormone cream I'm using is enough. But honestly I haven't asked my doc. It's just nice to know no matter what she says - you know?

I can only laugh at my feelings when they are far enough away. HA HA! I haven't felt that way in a few weeks, but DANG it's not that far gone. Honestly it's a miserable feeling - I guess you know, sorry. I am pretty worthless when I'm feeling that low.

I can't tell you how much I admire you for being so young and doing all the work to make yourself feel better. I am not sure it would have occurred to me at your age - although there was no internet when I was your age! I am 55.
JMCM1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 12:31 PM   #185
Senior LCF Member

Aw thanks I have had to be proactive through all of this as the docs I have seen are just clueless. I really didn't think I would be dealing with peri meno so early! I can only imagine 10 years from now how bad off I would be had I not started hormones earlier.
I keep reading in depth that cancer starts when there is a hormonal imbalance. And since we are bombarded every single day with a million different endocrine disruptors well, it makes sense. It is just crucial in my opinion to restore these lost hormones. Maybe docs secretely want us fat, unbalanced, miserable and relying deeply on them and that RX pad! No thanks!

9 months since bloodwork? I would defientely get that done if you feel off. And unloved we all want to feel loved.
You like the natural thyroid vs synthroid?
Old 08-18-2013, 12:38 PM   #186
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

HA HA! I don't feel unloved right now!
I honestly worry I'll start feeling bad again, so yeah, I'll ask for that blood work.

I only know I prefer the natural over the synthroid because I got hot flashes with the synthroid RIGHT away. I hadn't actually had much experience with hot flashes until I started synthroid. At my request, she switched me to the natural thyroid and the hot flashes ceased.... until just recently.

I liked the idea of the natural thyroid, but I know it's not for everybody.

She has checked my thyroid numbers frequently - just not the sex hormones.
I'll ask her and she'll say OK.
Old 08-18-2013, 01:03 PM   #187
Senior LCF Member

Huh.. ive never heard of anyone saying Synthroid caused hot flashes. I wonder if it was just a cross symptom as all of these hormones are interdependent and work in a very intricate and delicate feed back loop. Low thyroid causes other hormones to become imbalanced and lower levels of other hormones can tank your thyroid..
Anyway, Im glad you like it! Where do you get it filled, the compounding pharmacy? Oh and I meant to tell you that the crap doc I WAS using, well, the pharmacy didn't really recommend her. In fact, they don't really like her but she sends them business so they pretend I am going to move my progesterone RX from them to this new place that hooked me up Friday. Keep it all together.

I am also researching things that disrupt hormones. I hate the thought of giving up my dryer sheets, aveeno lotion and coconut scented Bath and Body Works spray but I think it might be time
Old 08-18-2013, 02:39 PM   #188
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I first got my natural thyroid filled at the compounding pharmacy, then found out my Sam's Club also had that - so that's where I get it now.
I only get my hormone cream ($75/month) from the compounding pharmacy.

I have never used dryer sheets or any scented soap - I use Dove for sensitive skin, but I DO use an Aveeno knock-off sometimes - I guess that's bad? I mean really - it makes sense all this processed junk they sell us and we buy would be hormone disruptors. I do not want to live in a cave but I can eliminate some things if necessary. Is there any body lotion recommended?

I have another friend on this board who lives in Canada and she has had to be very pro-active about her own thyroid and also tanked adrenals. She is active on another thyroid support forum (not lcf) and that was apparently the consensus from those folks - natural is better if you tolerate it well.

I just happen to know everybody doesn't tolerate it.

Love your new avi!! So pretty!

Last edited by JMCM1; 08-18-2013 at 02:40 PM..
Old 08-18-2013, 03:35 PM   #189
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ciavyn
Hello!

I'm so glad to see everyone still active on this thread. It's been fun to go back and read the updates...and I'm glad to hear y'all are feeling at least somewhat better. I have a recurrent symptom and I'm waiting for my dr. appointment in September to talk to my doc, but I thought I'd throw it out and see if anyone else had this issue.

I've been on Progesterone since Dec. 2012 and finally, my period is regular. I'm not sure it's completely on schedule, as I'm still trying to figure out when is the best time to start it, but I've noticed that when I'm tired and on progesterone, my (w)itchy factor goes WAY up. I become paranoid, irritated easily, and all around annoying. I usually have at least one emotional melt down during this part of my cycle. I can hardly stand myself -- I feel for my husband. Anyone else have this? I've read that it can be your oestrogen at work, but I'd argue that I'm pretty regulated overall now. No more hot flashes, temps have evened out, and when I get sleep, I feel pretty damn good. (recap: I'm 35 years old, menstruating)

I recently quit my 40 hour a week job and went back to teaching so I could sleep in and eat at home. So I'm getting more sleep than I ever have in my life. Which is totally awesome, let me tell you. But the moodiness that comes in on day 12 of my cycle (when I start progesterone) and gets worse on the days I can't sleep in (three days a week) and tapers off during the two weeks I'm off progesterone -- it's a bit much. I'm hoping that it's part of the cycling/creating patterns that I've been experiencing all this year. It's taken about 8 months to get my period regulated and I'm not about to give up! But I find myself dreading going on progesterone, and living for the two weeks that I'm off of it, where I feel more like myself.

But just in case anyone else has experienced this symptom, I'm curious to hear your story and how you worked with it.
ciavyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 06:35 AM   #190
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCM1 View Post
I first got my natural thyroid filled at the compounding pharmacy, then found out my Sam's Club also had that - so that's where I get it now.
I only get my hormone cream ($75/month) from the compounding pharmacy.

I have never used dryer sheets or any scented soap - I use Dove for sensitive skin, but I DO use an Aveeno knock-off sometimes - I guess that's bad? I mean really - it makes sense all this processed junk they sell us and we buy would be hormone disruptors. I do not want to live in a cave but I can eliminate some things if necessary. Is there any body lotion recommended?

I have another friend on this board who lives in Canada and she has had to be very pro-active about her own thyroid and also tanked adrenals. She is active on another thyroid support forum (not lcf) and that was apparently the consensus from those folks - natural is better if you tolerate it well.

I just happen to know everybody doesn't tolerate it.

Love your new avi!! So pretty!
Aww thanks I was tired of looking at the old me, haha.

See, im doing great on Synthroid.. I hear some people dont, but im good. I have this over-heat problem that stopped when my Frees came up to mid range. I get an alarming fuschia color when I work out (daily) and I stay internally hot for hours. It sucks. I work for a law firm and run the desk in the afternoon and people always ask.. why are you so red? Grr.
Synthroid took that away

I like Seventh Generation for lotion. Its awesome and completely paraban free. You can get it at most drugstores.. its a little pricey but their products go a long way..

You pay $75 a month for hormone cream?
Old 08-19-2013, 06:39 AM   #191
Senior LCF Member

Ciavyn~ hmm.. that is odd. How did you know your progesterone was low? Progesterone is our "calming" hormone and i swear it saved my marriage. The difference was night and day for me.
Id have some other testing done.. I bet you are low in estrogen and/ or DHEA..did you do a full sex hormone battery? Blood or saliva?
Im still new to this hormone balancing mess too! Please keep us updated!
Old 08-19-2013, 06:39 AM   #192
Senior LCF Member

Personal Care: Natural Body Wash, Natural Body Lotion | Seventh Generation
Old 08-19-2013, 06:55 AM   #193
Senior LCF Member

Oh and this website has SUCH good information. I can totally relate to most of this.

34 Menopause Symptoms - Learn all about each menopausal symptom
Old 08-19-2013, 06:45 PM   #194
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks!!

And also for the menopause information!
Old 08-20-2013, 06:24 AM   #195
Senior LCF Member

No prob!

I had no idea really that hormonal decline caused so many body aches.. totally makes sense. Most mornings I wake up feeling so stiff and achy. I cant wait to see if this improves.

So today is day 5 on the bi-est. Not feeling any difference yet but I know it takes time. Im just impatient. The oral DHEA tablets I have been taking for 6 weeks have done nothing. I ordered a paraban free DHEA transdermal cream that came in yesterday! Only $12 plus shipping. It feels nice and smooth and has ahloe. I hope to maybe see some increases in my levels after a month or so. More and more im leaning toward taking no hormones ever by mouth again!

Researching low DHEA and wow the health problems that can follow! I had no idea how important DHEA is to our tissues and cells..I just hope I dont convert it over to testosterone vs estradiol or estrone.

So my current BIHRT is 0.5 mgs of progesterone topically on days 12-26 of my cycle, at night only and alternating from inner arms, inner thighs and even my face
0.5 mgs of bi-est in the morning and at night (I split this in half because 1mg is ALOT) I use this on the abdomen and inner thighs.
Topical DHEA at night (1 pump) 25 days a month, take a break the 5 days im on my period.
1 daily natural thyroid tablet (kelp, iodine, selenium)
125 mcg of name brand Synthroid
Fish oil
Multivitamin
2 D3 tablets daily.
Water, water, water, water and 45-60 minutes of cardio and strength training a day. Planning to resume running when the weather cools off.

Any~who.. thats an update for now. I will pop in as things (hopefully) improve for me. I defientely feel calmer and my skin is looking really good

Check in with me you hormonally challenged lovely ladies!
Old 08-20-2013, 06:27 AM   #196
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Sounds like a path to improvement. I sure hope so.

Have you had your level of vitamin D checked?
Old 08-20-2013, 07:18 AM   #197
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Sounds like a path to improvement. I sure hope so.

Have you had your level of vitamin D checked?
I havent.. not a bad idea though to ask my doc to check my vitamin levels to make sure something hasnt tanked there. Sigh.
Now to research that topic! Alot of work it seems
Old 08-20-2013, 08:19 AM   #198
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I take 5,000 IU/day of Vitamin D and my levels were right down the middle.
I've heard some docs say they will eventually call it "hormone D."
Old 08-20-2013, 10:01 AM   #199
Senior LCF Member

Wow!
I wonder if we are requiring more Vit D these days to stay balanced due to lack of sunshine? We do pull some Vit D from foods, right?

The multivitamin I take has 1000 IU and I take (2) 1K on top of that.. so only 3K IU a day.. hmm. Maybe I should increase it..
Old 08-20-2013, 10:13 AM   #200
Senior LCF Member

Interesting~

What are the symptoms of vit D deficiency?

There is no clear pattern of symptoms. In fact many people remain asymptomatic despite low levels. But here are the more common symptoms
■Fatigue
■General muscle pain and weakness
■Muscle cramps
■Joint pain
■Chronic pain
■Weight gain
■High blood pressure
■Restless sleep
■Poor concentration
■Headaches
■Bladder problems
■Constipation or diarrhea

What diseases are associated with Vit D deficiency?

Vitamin D deficiency has been shown to play a role in almost every major disease. This includes:
■Osteoporosis and Osteopenia
■17 varieties of Cancer (including breast, prostate and colon)
■Heart disease
■High blood pressure
■Obesity
■Metabolic Syndrome and Diabetes
■Autoimmune diseases
■Multiple sclerosis
■Rheumatoid arthritis
■Osteoarthritis
■Bursitis
■Gout
■Infertility and PMS
■Parkinson’s Disease
■Depression and Seasonal Affective Disorder
■Alzheimer’s Disease
■Chronic fatigue syndrome
■Fibromyalgia
■Chronic Pain
■Periodontal disease
■Psoriasis
Old 08-20-2013, 10:34 AM   #201
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Wait till you get your level tested before altering your intake of vitamin D.

I took it for a protective value - can't hurt might help kinda thing.
Old 08-20-2013, 10:41 AM   #202
Senior LCF Member

From reading online, most of us are deficient. Might explain the joint pain, fatigue, inflammation..
Old 08-20-2013, 10:44 AM   #203
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

You should still be able to absorb Vitamin D from 20 or so (?) minutes of sunshine if you are able. I had a doctor friend tell me most of us over 50 do not get Vitamin D from sunshine. Lots of docs are very excited about Vitamin D.

I did see you had joint pain and heck if you up your intake for awhile see how it works.
You're taking D3, right?

Are you off wheat?
Old 08-20-2013, 01:26 PM   #204
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ciavyn
Hi Tracy! That's sort of my idea, too. I'm going to talk to my doc about doing a month long hormone test, as I originally did a saliva based test over one day. I'm curious to see if there's something else going on. I haven't lost any weight yet, either, which seems a bit strange. But we'll see. Thanks for the feedback.
ciavyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 01:33 PM   #205
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
I had a doctor friend tell me most of us over 50 do not get Vitamin D from sunshine.
Ugh - sloppy.
He said a great number of people over 50 do not absorb as much or "enough" Vitamin D from sunshine.
Old 08-26-2013, 06:59 AM   #206
Senior LCF Member

Hi girls! Thanks for keeping me company here.

I also read that online, that most of us arent getting nearly enough D3. I love me some sunshine (we have a boat, a pool and live in a seaside town) so we are always outside it seems.
BUT.. its not enough, I dont think. My multivitamin has 1K of D3 so I now take 4 (1K) D3 supplements each morning for a total of 5K. We will see what happens with that.
Im trying not to make too many changes at one time so I can tell whats working and what isnt.

I found a good board with lots of good advice over at Menopausechitchat.com. The ladies over there keep it real There is even a doc onboard.
Already made several friends who are a little older than me. Some have had the exact same symptoms as me, was told over and over again "your labs are fine, here take an antidepressant) like me, one or two are on almost exactly the same BHRT regime as me too and they are giving me lots of hope that things will change soon. One lady said she thought she was losing her mind (been there!) and was made to feel like a hypochondriac!
She is now doing great and along with diet and exercise, bringing up her diminished hormones helped her get off 20 lbs in 2 months!
Thats what im looking forward to. Repairing and restoring my metabolism. Out of all of the symptoms I am dealing with, the inability to get to my goal weight is the most frustrating since I have never had a weight problem.

Something else I found very interesting. I work with a friend who has had 4 kids. They are all grown and gone and about 3-4 years ago, she had to have a hysterectomy due to fibroids and her uterus had fallen way down.. docs just took it out for her. Shes happy and things have been fine since they left her ovaries. She is now dealing with insomnia, fatigue, a little bit of weight gain which isnt moving despite diet & exercise. I asked her if she'd had her hormones tested and she said no.
Did you know that when they take out the uterus and leave the ovaries that they have to cut and cauterize a large blood vessel to the ovaries meaning that the ovaries will eventually peter out and you will have a hormone deficiency? I texted her this info over the weekend and she was like whooa.. didnt know that.
She saw her doc on Friday and is doing bloodwork today So just because they dont take the ovaries in a hysterectomy, you will eventually (within 3 years) be dealing with disfunctional ovaries.
Good to know. It seems like I learn something new every day with this.

Anyway, everyone is telling me it took them about 6 weeks to really start feeling better. I cant wait
Old 08-26-2013, 07:01 AM   #207
Senior LCF Member

Quote:

Are you off wheat?
Judy, i really dont eat much wheat at all.. i might have a turkey breast sandwich or a hamburger once a week or so on those wheat rounds.. the real thin bread, but thats about it..
Old 08-26-2013, 07:24 AM   #208
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

OK - probably not a big deal for you (wheat, I mean).

For some it can cause achy joints, but I think you've pinpointed the reason you have achy joints and it probably is not wheat.

THANK you for the mention of the other forum. More info, not less please!
Old 08-26-2013, 11:44 AM   #209
Senior LCF Member

Yes maam
Im here to provide a service! I am a guinea pig at this point!
Taking one for the team

But yes, I really think its the low estrogens+low DHEA+ low D3 that has my joints so fired up. Its unrelentless. All of these when deficient cause joint pains.

Cant wait to feel like myself again!
Old 08-26-2013, 11:52 AM   #210
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/119.2/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
Tracy--I am on D as well. When I went for my physical this year, I mentioned to my physician that I was on D. That I even took 10,000 IU daily. She was fine with it!! I was shocked because the bottles states to use only 5 days a week (taking the weekends off). She told me I could have it daily. I had low levels when I was tested years ago and have taken a lot ever since. Vitamin D is good stuff. I have even seen it recommended for when you start to get the first symptoms of a cold. You triple your intake and you can head it off. That is how powerful it is for your immune system.

6 weeks is a long time, but as long as you know it can take that long.........there is a light!!!!! Yay!!!

Last edited by dawnyama; 08-26-2013 at 11:54 AM..
dawnyama is offline   Reply With Quote