Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Women's Health
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2013, 10:26 AM   #151
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
This sounds like a great meeting for you - hope so.
Thanks for your update!
JMCM1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-2013, 10:36 AM   #152
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/119.2/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
Tracy--yes, thanks for the update. Sounds like you have found "the one" for you. That is worth its weight in gold!!! Keep her!
dawnyama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 11:09 AM   #153
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Tracy210T
Stats: 194/163/150
WOE: Atkins, baby!
Tracy210T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 05:33 PM   #154
Senior LCF Member

So I ran by the lab today and prematurely picked up my labs, haha. Still waiting on testosterone, DHEA and Estrone (they had to be sent out).

We did the blood test last Friday, the 19th and my last period started 07/05/13 (my 10th wedding anniversary) no planned nookie that night

So we tested in my luteal phase. We tested on day 15.

Results-

Estradiol 92 (44-211)
FSH 7.8 (1.7-7.7)
LH 21.3 (1.0- 11.4)
Progesterone 1.09 (1.7-11.4)

With FSH and LH being high, looks like ovarian failure probably..peri menopause.
I hope the plan is still some estrogen therapy. Will update the end of the week.
Old 08-01-2013, 07:10 AM   #155
Senior LCF Member

So.. this doctor's office.. every person working there, doesnt talk to anyone else apparently.
I sent a couple of short, brief emails on the portal and blew their mind. All I got back was a "the doctor says you will need to come in to discuss your questions". WHAT?
They really werent complicated.

Crazy. So I gave up on the portal and called and got the nurse. I said forget the portal. I went by the lab and got my own labs (since you still dont have yours up yet ) and my estrogen is low. Not so low that my cycles have stopped but it should be around 200 in my ovulation stage and its 93.
I need estrogen damnit. The dry eyes, joint pain, incontinance leaks, scary hair loss amongst a host of other symptoms have become dibiliating almost.

She says, let me see here.. hmmm *long pause*.. get put on hold, she comes back and tells me the doc has called me in a higher dose of synthroid.. ..my thyroid dosage is fine
My last labs show my Frees almost perfect and im also supplementing with an all natural thryoid support tablet with kelp and iodine.
I clear that up. Then she finds that the doc e scribed some estradiol (there we go!) into my local pharmacy that morning. I thank her and tell her I will call back in 4 weeks if I am not feeling better, otherwise, I have an 8 week followup with Dr. Kennedy and i'll see them all then.
About 20 mins later I get a text from the pharmacy that my script is ready. I leave work, drive over, pick it up and take one right then
Its only a 0.5 mg estradiol tab. I wanted the cream but at this point, im desperate. So im now on day 3 and this morning, i actually felt like the "funk" might be lifting.. slept good, woke up feeling good..

Brought my gym bag to work. Im doing a tae bo class on lunch. Those exercise endorphines last me for hours
And im finally 6 weeks post op from spinal fusion surgery in my neck. Doc has cleared me for exercise.

I will keep you all updated.
I still have other labs that I havent picked up (testosterone, DHEA and estrone). I just didnt want to go to the lab to get them. Still waiting on the doc to put them on the portal
Old 08-01-2013, 12:09 PM   #156
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Why do they make us work so hard????

You almost make exercise sound good. But I'll push that thought aside for awhile longer.

I use the cream and I have asked the pharmacist about pills - she said they were still the bio-identical and sometimes people have issues with how much they absorb from the cream or whatnot and might do better on pills.
I have other friends on this board who take both cream and pills.

I do hope for you that you get some relief.

After doing absolutely nothing and changing nothing, some of my funk lifted.
Which will most assuredly leave me doing nothing different. *sigh*

Thank you so much for your update. I was just wondering about you!
Old 08-01-2013, 12:46 PM   #157
Senior LCF Member

aw.. thanks
Ive been wondering how you girls were doing too. I like the boards over at Hystersister but im a long ways from needing a hister, so I feel a little out of place!

Anyway. Im glad you're funk is improving. Funk sucks. Period.
I know the estradiol I am using isnt that gross equine pee stuff I read the insert thoroughly.

However.. I am also thoroughly sure that you just have to do whatever you have to do if your symptoms are as disturbing as mine. I think HRT is safe as long as you take the bare minimum amount needed for the shortest time as possible and under the care of a doc. AND.. you dont have any female cancer in your past. I think you set yourself up for rapid health decline when you are living and suffering a hormone-less life. My two cents.

Please ladies, keep me updated! I want to know whats working for you and whats not!
Old 08-02-2013, 06:28 AM   #158
Senior LCF Member

Wow. So i stopped at the lab yesterday and picked up all of the remaining labs my doc ordered.
My DHEA (which is responsible for a million things in your body, including regulating metabolism) was 228 (102-1185). That explains a TON.

My estrone= 22 (16-173)
Barely registering.
So that means at 37, my thyroid tanked, my progsterone tanked, my estrogen (all of it) tanked and my DHEA tanked. This could be adrenal fatigue but I dont seem to have the cortisol issues and my stress is minimal. Could point to a pituitary issue but theres no cure for that.. just have to put back the hormones you arent making anymore..
And i started my period this morning, 3 days shy of a full 28 day cycle THAT.. im happy about. I had been bracing to start the first of the week since ive been having one every 3 weeks. I need one closer to 4, please!

I went ahead and increased my DHEA tabs from (2) 5mcgs a day to a full 25 mcgs.. just until I get acne and a mustache

Doc sent me a message on the portal about my thyroid labs and that even though my Frees are good, the slightly supressed TSH is abnormal (SIGH)
No .. its not. TSH is a pit hormone. It shouldnt even be evaluated when treating with T4 as its not accurate. How in the world can you get your TSH up over 1.0 if your Frees are mid to upper range anyway?

Im just not even going to answer that email.
But she said something like hang on.. relief is coming. This estradiol should help. Lets re-eval in 4 weeks and see if you need an increase.

For that.. thank you doc
Old 08-06-2013, 08:18 AM   #159
Senior LCF Member

Anyone around? Please feel free to come keep me company in here with talk of your hormonal hell. This is such a jungle!

So today makes 1 week on the daily oral estradiol and nada.. zip, zilch.. no relief from symptoms yet. BUT, they expect that.. im only on 0.5 mgs. I mean for crying out loud, it probably hasnt even made it to my tissues, as small of a dose as she has me on, but shes being cautious. I get it.

What I dont get is the message she left for me on the portal saying my estrogen was normal
I cannot for the life of me figure out why she didnt email me something like "i see that your estradiol and estrone are within the ranges but at the very, very bottom. You instincts are right in that you will benefit from getting your estrogen up quite a bit and all of the symptoms you are having can most likely be a result of low estrogen". No.. she says "your estrogens are normal".
I called back up there and made an appt to discuss these "normal" labs and our proposed plan of treatment. Cant get in until 2 weeks from today

I might call the nurse the end of the week though and see if I can double my dose at the 2 week mark since Im not really noticing any changes yet.

I did read online though that letting that teeny weeny estradiol tablet disolve in your mouth vs swallowing it means the liver doesnt clear it away. So.. that is what I did this morning.. it was fine. Gone within a few secs.
I also want to talk to her about increasing my progesterone a little bit.

Im just rambling here.. feel free to ignore me, or chime in
Old 08-06-2013, 08:45 AM   #160
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I am so lost in a sea of work (and occasionally peeking into these boards) I'm ignoring virtually everything (except you and my other dear friends on these boards).

I h-a-t-e saying this, but there are a few people like you that have to jump through every hoop and I am able to learn vicariously... I am honestly sorry for all the work you're having to do and honestly grateful for your detail of your experience.

Old 08-06-2013, 09:21 AM   #161

Tracy--sorry you feel so alone in here. LOL. Just got back from my vacation to Japan and there is nothing to report. I go back next week for my lab work and in another couple weeks after that for more pellet insertions. I can say that I did not take my progesterone the entire time I was in Japan. I was too hot, tired and bothered to take that and my thyroid meds. Going without was fine. I noticed nothing different, except I did get TOM while over there. Even though I had one the week before. I feel the one the week earlier was just a sympathy one because my daughter had hers then, so was expecting whatever to happen. Good thing because I don't know the first thing about tampons in Japan. Not sure if the progesterone, or lack thereof, was to blame for the TOM or not. Ah, anyway, cannot wait to have my labs done next week and see what they show this time.

I re-read my post above about you finding a good doc for this hormone journey. Maybe you are feeling different now??!! Haha. I hate it when we know more than the doctors do. Frustrating as all get out.
Old 08-06-2013, 10:05 AM   #162
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCM1 View Post
I am so lost in a sea of work (and occasionally peeking into these boards) I'm ignoring virtually everything (except you and my other dear friends on these boards).

I h-a-t-e saying this, but there are a few people like you that have to jump through every hoop and I am able to learn vicariously... I am honestly sorry for all the work you're having to do and honestly grateful for your detail of your experience.

Awww Thank you. And im just glad I can be of some help, maybe
Maybe I will have mucho improvement soon. A little discouraging that im dealing with this at 37 (instead of 47!) but thats ok.

Dawn, welcome back. Japan, WOW! I bet its beautiful there.
Now see... with me and progesterone, I use it exactly like im supposed to. I do think a lot of women do more harm than good, hormone wise, if they dont stick to really tight regime, but you said you didnt really feel any different. I work with a good friend and she just kinda takes her HRT as she feels like it (or remembers) and her system is so outta whack.

Those pellets, expensive I hear?
I cant wait to see your blood test results too!
Thanks you all for hanging in here with me. I will report back as I learn more
Old 08-06-2013, 10:07 AM   #163
Senior LCF Member

Ugh, you had 2 TOMS back to back? That is wrong on so many levels. Isnt one a month enough?? lol
Old 08-06-2013, 03:29 PM   #164

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracy210T View Post
Ugh, you had 2 TOMS back to back? That is wrong on so many levels. Isnt one a month enough?? lol
I am definitely going to ask the next time I see the doc. Actually I will mention it to the nurse as she draws blood. That way I can find out quicker! And, all I can say about 2 TOMS in 1 month---at least they were not heavy. It would have ticked me off if they were.

Oh, and yes, those pellets are pricy! I am on a monthly finance plan for 10 months, after paying a down payment of $1,000 so not going this route next year
Old 08-07-2013, 06:47 AM   #165
Senior LCF Member

WHOA! That is super expensive. WOW.
I was surprised my itty bitty RX of estradiol after insurance was $2.22. Loved that What route are you going to take next? There are literally a hundred different HRT options.

2 TOMS in one month means something is wacked. From what im reading, the body relies so heavily on that regular cycle to time everything and for everything to naturally fall in place.. such a delicate feedback loop.

Day 8 on estradiol.. still feeling like CA-CA I thought I had seen a little light through the funk but nope.
Cant shake this. I made an appt with my gyno. I see her in 13 days. Shes out this week and booked next week (DOUBLE SIGH).

I will call and ask the nurse about upping my estradiol though. I know its a slow process and fine tuning takes eons. Patient I am not
I have found the bio identical paraben free estriol cream is an awesome facial moisturizer. I use it twice a day now and my skin is super soft and clear

I'll report back when I have something interesting to say
Old 08-12-2013, 07:28 AM   #166
Senior LCF Member

So the 0.5 mg of estradiol didnt do squat for me ( i kinda knew it wouldnt) so I called and begged to double it after a week. Nurse called me back and said to knock myself out.
So, im on day 3 of double dosing the estradiol. Only 1.0 mg by oral route daily. I actually just let it dissolve on my tongue.
No improvements as of yet and still scary hair loss in the shower.. joints are throbbing.. i havent gone near the scale.. it makes me cringe just seeing it there in the bathroom.. evil... pure Tanita evil

I read up on bio identical hormones over the weekend and many anti aging experts seem to agree that the transdermal dosage is too much of an endocrine shock applying the cream straight to the bloodstream. Im so confused. They say the endocrine systems gets a whoosh of hormones and then a slow withdrawal once its absorbed. They recommend a patch.. I would think it would kinda work the same way..
I think when I see my doctor next tuesday I will talk to her about putting me on the oral progesterone supplement. Its covered by insurance and the bloodwork would then be more accurate vs topical treatment. Id really have to do saliva testing I think if I wanted to keep up the topical treatment.

The only think more confusing to me than hormones is thyroid! Oh.. and teenage girls
Old 08-13-2013, 01:46 PM   #167

Tracy--you WILL NOT believe this but I am having TOM for the 3rd time in about 3 weeks. I am beyond done with this. i was told I was going into menopause, and thought that at that time it was going to STOP, not speed up. I would much prefer no more TOMS than having more than I ever need. I am going to the doc on Thurs for bloodwork and I am going to talk to the lab techs about this. And letting them know I need some adjustment or something. I am so frustrated with this.
Old 08-13-2013, 02:25 PM   #168
Senior LCF Member

oh man Im sorry. I can only imagine how frustrating that is. You are going to be anemic at this point.

Did you say your gyno did an ultrasound to look for uterine fibroids and cysts on your ovaries? If not, id get everything ultrasounded ASAP.
I wouldnt talk to the lab techs, talk to your MD. Irregular cycles are defientely indicative of menopause but bleeding that often could mean fibroids. An ultrasound should see it.
Old 08-13-2013, 02:29 PM   #169

Quote:
oh man Im sorry. I can only imagine how frustrating that is. You are going to be anemic at this point.

Did you say your gyno did an ultrasound to look for uterine fibroids and cysts on your ovaries? If not, id get everything ultrasounded ASAP.
I wouldnt talk to the lab techs, talk to your MD. Irregular cycles are defientely indicative of menopause but bleeding that often could mean fibroids. An ultrasound should see it.

Nope. I don't seen a gyno anymore. Never ever ever had any issues with fibroids/cysts. Always got pregnant easily too. Never any issues with any of that stuff.
Old 08-13-2013, 02:33 PM   #170
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

For my completely unscientific contribution of the day, I'd like to say I had a couple of friends whose period frequency increased before they stopped having them entirely.
Old 08-13-2013, 02:34 PM   #171

Quote:
For my completely unscientific contribution of the day, I'd like to say I had a couple of friends whose period frequency increased before they stopped having them entirely.
Ugh!!! Not what I wanted to hear. But I hope this is IT for me!! I don't want endless TOM for a year. This is crazy and just ridiculous.
Old 08-13-2013, 02:39 PM   #172
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

FWIW they did have some kind of hrt to stop the frequency.
I kinda sorta think they went on the pill.
(second unscientific post of the day)
Old 08-16-2013, 04:15 AM   #173

Gallery: Bluqq
Stats: at birth weight, lucky for mom she had big hips
Start Date: 11/24/05
Girls girls girls

Ugh is right on multiple toms....god bless
I stopped all hormones except a natural estrogen ....viola! No more symptoms
Bluqq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 07:18 AM   #174
Senior LCF Member

Once again, I didnt get any emails that there were posts here. Groovy! So sorry, wasnt ignoring you all.

Dawn... you need to see a good gyno, hunny Its time. If you have insurance, what can it hurt? Frequent, sporadic, unpredictable bleeding means something is wrong. I want you to go get checked out. Get every blood test you can. Get everything looked at. Our bodies just dont bounce back as we age, from all of the environmental stresses. You could have a hormone producing cycst on your ovary. This stuff is fixable
Old 08-17-2013, 07:20 AM   #175
Senior LCF Member

Quote:

Exacta-mundo.
Lots of women get their periods MORE prior to meno vs less..its cruel and unusual punishment for something.. what, I dont know.
Old 08-17-2013, 07:36 AM   #176
Senior LCF Member

OK, update.
As any of you who have hung out with me here in this thread know, getting my stupid hormones back up has been brutal. The doctors here are.. well.. idiots. Clueless and insensitive, really.
I am already pissed off at the new gyno I just established with. Strike one was looking at my estrone and estradiol serum levels and emailing me that "your estrogens are fine". They are NOT fine. Strike 2 was calling me oral estradiol tablets when I told her I wanted a compounded cream. Ive learned that the oral estrogen (even bio identical) is basically useless because it goes to the liver first. Over time, it binds with thyroid hormone, further throwing you into hypothyroidism (i already struggle with this) it raises blood pressure and tryglicerides and it increases your risks of blood clots. I dont need all of that. So I sent a fax to my regular MD on wednesday with my bloodwork attached, outlining the fact that Dr. Kennedy called me in oral estradiol ( i was desperate and did try it) no results and that I really, really need some estrogen. Please call me. She did not. Short staffed. UGH.
Oh, another strike with the gyno is she emailed me that she wanted me to try a month on estrogen and then a month off. WHY??? Why get someone whos estrogen deficient on some meds and then take them back off? Because she hasnt done her research and she knows nothing about hormones so she is with the pack.. shes scared of them.

Then a light went off. Right across the street from my MDs office is an old mom and pop compounding pharmacy. I went to their website. They talk in detail about bio identical hormones. They have a symptom checklist. I call. The PHARMACIST answers the phone. We talk for 15 minutes. I ask her, what is it going to take to get on some BI estrogen?? Ive spent 2.5 years and have been to 5 doctors complaining of hormone deficiency to include one out of pocket doctor I paid $600 to! She says, fill out the questionaire and email it back to me with your bloodwork. I did. 20 minutes after that she calls me back to ask a few questions about when I started the progesterone, how regular are my cycles and when was my last period. (im right in the middle of an aerobics class, but it was cool) I appreciated her actually treating me like a human who is in distress! She has BIHT experts online she consults with about my problems. They all determine that I am right. My estrogen is very low and is probably causing all of my problems. Yes, I am young and yes, having all sex hormones tank at my age is odd, but eh, lets help her! A few mins later she faxes my "treatment plan" to my doc and calls me to tell me. I call my doc, get the receptionist and say please go check the fax and put my paperwork under the docs nose. I will love you forever. She does.. the pharmacy calls back, tells me they have authorization, they are filling me some bi-est to use daily and viola! I pick it up an hour later. Finally. Ive been begging for this for at least 8 months. I put 1 ml on right there in the car So thats it. We wait. Im on day 4 of the nightly progesterone for this cycle and on day 2 of the daily bi est (50/50 estradiol and estrone).
We are to monitor symptoms and I can report back in a month or so.

SO, ladies you might want to forego anyone but your local friendly apothecary/ compounding pharmacy. They sure made it easy for me..
Old 08-17-2013, 08:07 AM   #177

Quote:
Once again, I didnt get any emails that there were posts here. Groovy! So sorry, wasnt ignoring you all.

Dawn... you need to see a good gyno, hunny Its time. If you have insurance, what can it hurt? Frequent, sporadic, unpredictable bleeding means something is wrong. I want you to go get checked out. Get every blood test you can. Get everything looked at. Our bodies just dont bounce back as we age, from all of the environmental stresses. You could have a hormone producing cycst on your ovary. This stuff is fixable
No. Not gonna get a check up. Just had one. I don't need that. I will get this sorted out. It is THE only time I have been this messed up. No alarm bells for me. Just kind of Grrr.....ya know? Nothing to fret about. Again, nothing is wrong. I stated on my lab form that it happened so when I go back to the hormone clinic we will get it sorted out. Nothing is wrong on my ovary, so no worrying about me. I am fine I think it is more environmental than anything. Not internal.
Old 08-17-2013, 08:08 AM   #178

Quote:
Exacta-mundo.
Lots of women get their periods MORE prior to meno vs less..its cruel and unusual punishment for something.. what, I dont know.
See--this is me the doc said I was heading into menopause and I have the symptoms as well as the labwork to prove it. Nothing is wrong with my ovaries.
Old 08-17-2013, 09:00 AM   #179
Senior LCF Member

Well if you are hormonally deficient then your ovaries aren't doing their job, right? Two periods a month isn't normal. I hope you figure it out and feel better.
Old 08-17-2013, 04:31 PM   #180

Quote:

SO, ladies you might want to forego anyone but your local friendly apothecary/ compounding pharmacy. They sure made it easy for me..
OMG it was that easy??? Are you kidding me?? Pharmacists really do know their stuff don't they? That is amazing finally someone listened to you I know better days are ahead for you.