Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2012, 08:38 PM   #61
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Tracy210T
Stats: 194/163/150
WOE: Atkins, baby!
So as of today, im down almost 20 lbs. People are noticing
Clothes that i havent worn in 2 years, fit. Sleeping better.. no mood swings..
I have only had a few drinks since before Halloween.. still working out 1-2 hours a day, 6 x a week..still using the progest exactly as told and just recently did research and talked to my doc about lingering hypothyroid symptoms.. she said levo isnt steady and constant and its no wonder my symptoms are still around.. she put me on synthroid and WOW..the first thing I noticed right away was that i was no longer turning an alarming fuscia shade when getting hot.. which ive done since I was 5.. my mom does it too..that is completely GONE. Which is awesome because its embarrasing.. when I work out, it takes me hours to cool down and i almost always end up with a headache. I still sweat like crazy, where you can almost wring out my hair, but thats ok. I like that Its nice to cool down within 20-30 minutes and not 3-4 hours..
Starting to feel like myself again. I cant say enough good about bio idents and how important it is for us to achieve balance in order to restore health.
I will update here again soon. Still a good 25 lbs to goal but im getting there..
Tracy210T is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-14-2012, 09:39 AM   #62
Senior LCF Member

Synthroid is the key I think.. that and not weighing but once a week. Down a little more, for a total of 20 lbs in 7 weeks.

I'll take it.
Still not drinking though I had a beer the other night, wed night, when we took the kids out for pizza. Doesnt seem to stall me if I only have one here and there..
Still working out every day but sunday.. and i usually find something to do on those days..

Anway, feeling 1000% better.. hope it continues!
Old 12-17-2012, 02:35 AM   #63
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Going2
Stats: 215/184(166)/150 5'8"
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 2003
Wow, you are doing great--thanks for sharing!
Going2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 02:57 PM   #64
Senior LCF Member

Thank you! Im sorry for the late reply here, holidays and such.. its been nuts!

Ok, so another update.. i just finished up round 3 of the bio identical hormone replacement, progesterone.
My cycles have been being about 5-7 days early each month, meaning it seems im having a period every 3 weeks, yuck. They have been slightly lighter and less painful though since the hormone replacement. This month, right on time Exactly 4 weeks to the day, this month, as last month. That is good. Things are coming more into balance.

Still limiting my drinking to no more than 2 drinks, 1 time a week, a weekend night. This surprisingly hasnt been hard considering how much better i feel. I cannot believe I just made it through a company Christmas party and a coworkers (biker) wedding, without drinking something ive never been able to do. And it was just fine. I had a really good time and really good food.

So yesterday was day 14 on Synthroid.. im down a total of 7.5 lbs since using this vs levo. Anyone in my shoes with hypothyroidism who is still plauged with symptoms after months of meds/ labwork/ meds.. needs to give Synthroid a test run. Dont listen to your doc when he says "they are exactly the same".. they are not!
So 8 weeks and 22 lbs gone.. almost halfway to goal. Ive gone from a size 14-16 to a 12 and even a couple pair of 10s

Im doing jazzercise, Zumba, RIPPED, taebo and im running (7 days a week)..

I'll report back here in a week or so
Old 12-28-2012, 11:38 AM   #65
Senior LCF Member

Down 3 more lbs.

Thats 24 lbs in 9 weeks

Its all about balance..

I feel 900% better...
Old 12-28-2012, 12:51 PM   #66
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ironicwoman
Stats: 205/185/160
WOE: JUDDD ~ It's working! It's working!
Start Date: Started JUDDD: 2/02/12 ReStarted JUDDD: 3/25/14
Wow, you have been busy, busy, busy! Great work! I intend to check back here after the holidays are over. I'm still struggling with everything! Damnit!!
ironicwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 01:07 PM   #67
Senior LCF Member

YES, please come talk to me

If I can bounce back from the pits of H-E-L-L with this mess, anyone can.

Come update me
Old 01-26-2013, 06:20 PM   #68
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ciavyn
Curious

Hello!

I was curious if you've had any additional improvements. A month ago I started progesterone with mood improvements and hair loss lessening, but no weight loss. My doc reviewed my labs and put me on sustained-release T3, and that's helps the awful digestion. But still no weight loss.

I eat super clean (Paleo, moderately low carb) and my cheats involve dark chocolate and rice on rare occasions.

Curious how you are feeling and if you've continued to see changes. I think mine might be related to the crazy out of balance year I had, and my body has to balance (still have low temperature and period is wildly out of whack.)
ciavyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:34 PM   #69
Senior LCF Member

Hi, I was actually about to log on here and update when I saw your email on my phone Thanks for asking.

Yes.. UPDATE.

SO this is week 13 for me and im learning something it seems, all the time. So, after 3 years of misery and finally getting on some thyroid meds and progesterone and quitting all of the lifestyle choices that were killing me, im losing on average 2 lbs a week. I have 18 lbs to goal.
I may even push for 145.. we'll see. That would put me slightly on the thin side.

Anyway.. so mid october- december 31st.. mood swings gone, feeling good, losing weight, people are noticing.. sleeping good, libido is coming back .. etc etc.. then wham! January 1st.. nothing.. i even put back on a few lbs. Talk about confusing.. i hadnt done anything any different.. i start researching.. first thing im looking at is the progesterone.. but my symptoms do not really seem to coincide with overdose.. im thinking.. maybe my body is normalizing and hormones are balancing and im making progesterone again. (im only 36) and so i make an appt with my hormone doc.. oh.. some of my weird symptoms came back.. first and foremost- my hair started falling out again. That, and my facial skin, is always in indication of hormones..
I wash my hair everyday after working out.. and there is hair wrapped around every finger.. bingo..

I go see my hormone doc more confused than ever. She is lithowanian and stern, lol. We look at the calender and I point out the exact days my periods started, when they stopped, the days I took the progesterone (days 12-26 of my period) i tell her im taking it exactly like im supposed to. She says I see that.. hmm.. she goes ok.. its not the progesterone. I bet a million dollars, its your thyroid. You've lost 25 lbs in 10 weeks.. you are taking too much synthroid now. The next day, I do my Free T3, Free T4 and TSH blood work, its emailed to my regular doc (who works hand in hand with my hormone doc) and guess what? Free's are normal.. TSH= .007.
That means my synthroid dose is now too high. She reduces me from 125 mcg to 112. Within 3 days, my symptoms improved, hair loss is reduced and ive lost 2 lbs.
She was totally right.

I just cannot stress enough, how important it is to reduce and eliminate anything that is disruptive.. it seems everyday i am learning more and more about what disrupts hormones and that 1 hormone out of whack causes a whole cascade of problems.
I started fish oil w/ D3 in it, B12, 15,000 mg of biotin every morning and then mid afternoon, a chewable multivitamin and WOW what a difference in energy. No foods or vitamins (because of iron in the vits) within 2 hours of the synthroid though..

Last edited by Tracy210T; 01-26-2013 at 07:36 PM..
Old 02-03-2013, 08:46 PM   #70
Senior LCF Member

Im now 15 weeks into the BIHRT and thyroid management.. along with low carb eating and daily exercise- im down almost 30 lbs.

Old 02-03-2013, 08:53 PM   #71
Senior LCF Member

Well i had some other pics but LCF isnt cooperating t'nite

I'll try again later.
I have a coworker, my mom and a friend all going to see my hormone doc. They are just as miserable as I was =(
I hope they can get some relief.
Old 02-04-2013, 06:31 PM   #72
Junior LCF Member

That is awesome news. Thank you for sharing.

I THINK I've turned a corner. My temperature is still way off but my period arrived last week on schedule (I've had three in six weeks) and seemed normal for the first time in months. Between the T3 and the progesterone, I feel much better. I think I might have lost half a pound which is heartening! Wish it would be more at once, but hey, a little is a good thing. But it can be discouraging some days. Hanging in there.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:13 AM   #73
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciavyn View Post
That is awesome news. Thank you for sharing.

I THINK I've turned a corner. My temperature is still way off but my period arrived last week on schedule (I've had three in six weeks) and seemed normal for the first time in months. Between the T3 and the progesterone, I feel much better. I think I might have lost half a pound which is heartening! Wish it would be more at once, but hey, a little is a good thing. But it can be discouraging some days. Hanging in there.
Hi~
Im sorry you are still struggling. How old are you? Temp? Are you charting for TTC?
3 periods in 6 weeks is crazy. Something is defientely going on.
Are you seeing a doc who specializes in the progesterone supplementation?
Old 02-06-2013, 07:15 AM   #74
Senior LCF Member

This pic was after our Zumba class last night, which doubles as a sauna, UGH!
My friend Kim on the left, me on the right. So hard to believe im down almost 30 lbs in 14weeks. Amazing what happens when you reach balance I guess

Old 02-06-2013, 07:28 AM   #75
Senior LCF Member

Oh.. i just found probably the worst picture of me, and at my highest hormonal induced weight ever. I cant believe this fell with family picture timing and I tried not to make a big deal over it but later, cried like crazy because I just could not figure out what was wrong with me and why my doctors kept insisting everything was "normal".. making me feel crazy!! This was a little under 2 years ago and dangerously close to 200 lbs...

Old 02-09-2013, 01:27 PM   #76
Junior LCF Member

Hi Tracy!

You look amazing. Congrats on your weight loss and finding balance.

I am 35, was on birth control for a really long time. Not sure what TTC is -- my morning temps hover at 96.9 and 97.0. I've been as high as 97.25. I track it every morning, before getting out of bed. My day time temps hover around 97.5 or lower.

My doc is a bioidentical expert in the area. Very holistic. She's got me on progesterone, 2x at 20mg (seems to be the standard dose?), 3 weeks out of the month as mine was really tanked (I think I had a score of 30, when it should be at least 75-250) and SR T3 for my thyroid. I feel much better. I do acupuncture as well. I workout every day except for weekends, and my body is muscle-y. But weight is stubbornly remaining in place. I'm hoping my period will regulate this time around. I should be good for another two weeks, as I had it the week before last. I'm crossing my fingers, as it came the day after I went off of progesterone. Which would put it right on track. So fingers crossed. Not sure if there is anything else to do. I've tried countless supplements. Nothing has been all that effective.

At least reading your story is giving me some hope.
Old 02-10-2013, 12:57 PM   #77
Senior LCF Member

OK, so TTC is trying to conceive, which I was curious about since your tracking your temps, but you arent trying to get pregnant, right?

Your temps are a little low. What about your thyroid? Usually the low morning temps can indicate thyroid disfunction and well.. that throws everything off.

Im taking 50mg of progesterone daily, but on days 12-26 of my approximate 28 day cycle. I guess each MD who does this is different. I was told to do mine at night, right at bed time (once daily) but it messed with my sleep...
So I put mine on first thing in the morning, inside the arms, wrist, forearms..

Your progesterone was 30? That is really low. Mine was 55. Normal is 75-270 premenopausal.
How often does your doc want to test? Mine is fine with never as long as im losing and all symptoms are gone, lol.

Did you have your morning cortisol, testosterone, estradiol and DHEAs tested?
I know that birth control pills throw off hormone levels..
Did you know Oil of Olay products mess with your hormones? You should never use Oil of Olay..
Do you know what might have caused your progesterone to tank? I think i had gotten into the habit of drinking every day.. just 2 or 3 at night and im 99% after all of the research that ive done that that was my culprit. Im learning the importance of keeping alcohol to a once in a while thing and oh! How important 8 hours of good, uninterruped sleep is for balancing hormones
Sorry for the Q's! Just happy to have some conversation here with someone who knows what im going through

BTW, vitamin D (sunlight) and fishoil help to naturally balance your hormones as well. I love Marks Daily Apple for help with tips about this.

Im looking forward to hearing more about you and your situation
Please keep me posted!
Old 02-10-2013, 01:00 PM   #78
Senior LCF Member

Also, how long are you to remain on 3 weeks per month of progesterone? I worry about this because it seems a little excessive. When will your MD do your next saliva profile to test to see if your progestone has come within normal ranges? Ive read that too much bio identical hormonal treatment can cause symptoms similar to too little...
Old 02-11-2013, 04:54 AM   #79
Junior LCF Member

hello! Thank you for your questions.

No, I'm using the Taking Charge of Your Fertility method to NOT get pregnant.

I think the idea is, my progesterone was so low, the depression was awful. So I'm taking it 3 weeks out of the month to help kickstart it. I'm not sure what her plan is, honestly. I've seen this protocol quite a bit, but also yours as well. The progesterone helped with the depression symptoms, but the T3 meds are what really helped with my digestion and bloating.

They tested all the hormones. Cortisol is borderline, and my estrogen is way out of whack, as is, of course, my testosterone, given my other levels. DHEA was surprisingly fine.

I think mine was a combination -- possible PCOS symptoms as a teen, birth control, and years of starving myself to stay thin. None of which are helpful.

I'm a paleo eater, actually -- LOVE Mark's Daily Apple. The hard part in everything is honestly the weight gain. I haven't been able to shed a pound yet, but the spotty periods suggest I'm not balanced yet, so that makes sense. Just frustrating. But's it's been not quite two months, and the mood swings and depression are much improved, so I'm hopeful time will tell? I'm also a health and wellness coach, which is challenging when you aren't feeling the best despite a great diet.

I do take fish oil and vitamin D and I'm regularly active -- I workout 4-5 times per week. When spring rolls around, I walk more too.

Not sure what else to do except be patient...not my strong suit. But thank you for your questions -- I appreciate it. Someone else that gets the struggle!
Old 02-11-2013, 07:09 AM   #80
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciavyn View Post
Someone else that gets the struggle!
yes,yes I do!

Sounds like you are doing everything right...you're active, eating paleo/ low carb and are working to balance your hormones..
How long have you been on this regime?
If your cycles are still wonky you sound like you still arent quiet balanced..

Id still look at thyroid. Alot of times the hormonal rollarcoaster (ie progest deficiency- estrogen dominance) will tank your thyroid, as in my case.

When was the last thyroid panel you had? So many docs are quick to say your labs are normal simply because the labs "normal" ranges are way too broad. My first doc was calling a TSH of 4.5 "normal" despite the cold feet and hands, mood swings, wonky periods, dry scaly skin and hair loss. I was on levo for months and my doc kept doing blood work and increasing the dose but I wasnt seeing any relief from symptoms until the progesterone came up, estrogen came down and I switched from levo to synthroid.. big improvement..
Do you have any symptoms of hypothryoidism?
in this crap boat together!
Old 02-11-2013, 06:23 PM   #81
Junior LCF Member

I've been doing this since December 22, 2012. Progesterone first, then three weeks later we added the sustained-release T3 (thyroid med).

My thyroid labs all came back normal -- and really normal, at that. 1.41TSH, and while my free T3 and T4 were not fabulous, they weren't bad enough to make me point a finger (I used the advice of STOP THE THYROID MADNESS to evaluate them). However, when the bloating and indegestion continued to get worse on progesterone, the doc reviewed my thyroid and saw that my reverse T3 number uber high. Hence the T3. Digestion greatly improved -- still have some issues when I hit dairy too hard, but I feel pretty good otherwise.

It's just the weight -- specifically belly fat. And between my adrenals not being great and the hormonal fluxes still...I have a sneaking suspicion I won't see a change until my hormones level off. What do you think based on your research? I can't workout more than I do without exhaustion, and I don't think that is the key to weight loss anyway -- at least, not by itself. And my diet is damn good. My only indulgence is chocolate (super dark) and frozen berries on weekends.

Thank you. Even just being able to post about this on a forum is helping me cathartically.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:39 AM   #82
Senior LCF Member

Oh, so you are pretty new on this regime.. see, im reading we can sometimes look at 3-6 months to reverse nasty hormones imbalances. Hang in there. Sounds like you are doing everything right. How about gluten? Have you thought about cutting down or out all gluten? Maybe the reason for digestion probs?

Please keep me updated here on any changes, good or bad. I would love to hear your progress and hope you see improvement. I know how frustrating it can be
Old 02-12-2013, 04:44 PM   #83
Junior LCF Member

yes, I am pretty new. I contacted my doc today, curious if this was normal. She said i just have to be patient. It's the weight gain that freaks me out. But patience...

I have celiac's disease, so gluten is a non-issue for me.

Thank you for this outlet. I reached a breaking point this weekend -- just frustration. And being able to reach out and have someone respond who has been there...it helps a great deal. I'm better now. Will keep doing what I'm doing.

The tough part: I'm studying to be a personal trainer and health coach, and when my body isn't cooperating, it's hard to feel confident not only in what I'm saying (even though my brain knows I'm right) but also in how I appear. I've got great muscles! But you can't seem them because of the weight gain. But all will be well in time -- I believe that.

Thank you again.
Old 02-13-2013, 05:43 AM   #84
Senior LCF Member

Im glad you're here! But hope you get some answers soon
I know I felt isolated, hopeless.. crazy by my breaking point..
You have celiac's too?? Yikes. Talk about a triple wammy. And you're young. Our systems are supposed to naturally balance themselves at this age. Yeah right

So I guess my next shot in the dark would be meds. What meds are you on?

Heres something I figured out. I have arthritis, bone spurs in my back, dequervains tendonitis in my wrists.. and my doc put me on lyrica (among other things) and since my system was already stressed to the max, with the progesterone deficiency, thyroid disfunction, etc (oh and an anti inflammatory, something for pain.. etc) .. I took all of this stuff and wow the difference in made in pain! I felt almost like new!
Until about 10 days in when I couldnt button my jeans
I covered one eye and stepped on the scale. Id gained 10 lbs in 2 weeks.
I just cried. I looked up all of the meds I was taken and what to do you know? They all cause weight gain.

You arent on any anti depressants or anti inflammatories are you?
Again, just a shot in the dark.
I think being a wellness coach is awesome. What a great job I hope you reach that goal I know you would make a huge difference in peoples lives.
Old 02-13-2013, 05:52 AM   #85
Senior LCF Member

So, once I hit my goal weight, I think I might start back on the anti inflammatories every other day or so and watch the scale closely.. we'll see. Right now, I just live with the pain

So today is the end of round 5 of the progesterone treatment. I switched compounding pharmacies to one closer to home and my insurance kicked in in this pharmacy for some reason
They filled an 8 week supply for $31.00 after insurance.. same as the old pharmacy, without insurance. They dont know why that is. Oh well.
For $15 a month, I can live with it.

My hair is still coming out, not at an alarming rate, but still wrapped around all fingers when I wash my hair. I see that is a side affect of Synthroid. Im taking 15,000 mg of biotin a day hoping to offset. My skin and nails finally look good :grin:
I weigh Friday mornings only. I cheat a little on my diet Fri, Sat and Sun as long as the scale showed a loss. Sunday and Monday, back to buckeling down, tues- thurs, nothing but lean protein, low glycemic veggies, loads of water and zumba/ ripped/ jazzercise.. if the scale shows a loss, I can have a couple of drinks Friday night :grin:

Now.. moving onto bladder control. The jumping jacks in Zumba are killing me Guess what? They make a med for that!
Old 02-13-2013, 06:31 AM   #86
Senior LCF Member

This is my beloved Zumba instructor (aka bootcamp drill sergeant, hehee) The more you whine in her class, the more she likes it. Shes one of my two fitness idols right now.
And i've gone from a 194 lbs, size 14-16 to 164, baggy size 10's doing her class 3x a week.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:10 AM   #87
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Karerose
Start Date: late 2003
Looks good. I was wondering which one was the instructor and had to check your Avatar to see which one was you.
Karerose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 05:03 PM   #88
Junior LCF Member

Good questions. I am not on anything, nor have I been. I think it was birth control that messed with me. And of course, the messed up periods I had as a teen that apparently cried out for birth control rather than evaluation. Bitter? Me?

Yes.

Not really. But it does get frustrating.

I figure it this way: I've had 4 periods in 8 weeks -- just started another one yesterday. Which means I'm not taking enough progesterone to hold the uterine lining. So I upped my progesterone, to see how it goes. First effect: mood is highly elevated. I'm not sleepy, which is the sole side effect. I had energy this morning, which is rare. So we'll see how this goes. I've read and researched a lot, and a couple of docs recommend high dosing progesterone. Hit it fast and hard, as the estrogen and oestrogen will raise temporarily in an attempt to maintain control. But then over time, you decrease, hopefully to the point of getting off of it entirely, but at least until you find a balance between progesterone and no symptoms. I'm going to give it a try and see what happens. On some level, I think you have to figure out what works for you and your individual body.

I'm hopeful, but cautiously so. I haven't seen any major changes yet...but yet is the keyword.
Old 02-14-2013, 06:48 AM   #89
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karerose View Post
Looks good. I was wondering which one was the instructor and had to check your Avatar to see which one was you.
You are sweet
Barb, on the left is the instructor. The one who says she still has weight to lose

Ciavyn- how much weight do you need to lose?
So are you using the progesterone cream from a compounding pharmacy? Your doc says to increase?

Going out on a limb here. If you are young, not on any hormone disrupting medications, no anti depressants, you've had your thryoid fully evaluated (LOVE STTM), are working with a holistic practioner, taking fish oil and a good multivitamin, have eliminated toxins & weight causing medications (alcohol, NSAIDS) are eating LC and paleo and working out at least 3 times a week but arent losing and are still having a period every 2 weeks, have you talked to your GYN about doing a pelvic ultrasound? I would be concerned that you might have a hormone producing cyst.. PCOS or endometrious. You might be a candidate for an ablation to strip the menstrual lining for a fresh start, sorta of.
Even with all of hormonal ups and downs, my periods have remained relatively stable.. give or take 2-3 days each month. I chart everything on a small calender.. when I start, when I stop, every single month. My cycles are pretty predictable and I have 2 heavy days, 2 medium, 1 light and im done.

If I were you, id ask my GYN (not regular MD) to do a pelvic ultrasound. Look at the uterus, overies, cervix. Have you had a pap in the last 12 months?
Old 02-19-2013, 04:48 PM   #90
Junior LCF Member

Hi Tracy --

I need to lose about 25 lbs. That is how much I've gained approximately -- I refuse to weight myself, but based on the size I am, that is about it. No, my doc says to wait it out and see what happens. But I've done some research on increasing dosages and proponents of high dosing, particularly in certain situations -- it doesn't hurt you, so to speak, when it comes to side effects. I'm on day 6 of high dosing. No sleepiness...and I actually felt decent today.

I have a sneaky suspicion I have PCOS -- but there isn't much to do but change up my exercise and diet. I don't have insurance that covers things like that -- 5000 deductible. So it's a crap shoot at this point. Doc wants me to wait until May to evaluate whether the progesterone and T3 are enough, which is fine, but the misery in the meantime...not fun. Yes, I've had a pap. I've had an ultrasound in the past, but it was some time ago.

We'll see where this takes me. I'm not looking for trouble, but the ups and downs are getting old. Since I've been high dosing the progesterone, the mood has stabilized and my energy has as well. Not sure -- but today I actually felt like my old self for a brief period. It's been so long since I felt normal, it's hard to tell some days.