Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Women's Health
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2012, 02:46 PM   #31
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ~Erin~
I forgot to mention at my last appointment, my doctor told me I have a peanut allergy. I wonder how much of that is adding to my symptoms? I read that it can give you headaches, and fatigue...both of which I have. I also noticed after I eat peanut butter (which I love), my tongue swells up a little, and I get a tingly sensation in my mouth...
~Erin~ is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-2012, 04:22 PM   #32
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Tracy210T
Stats: 194/163/150
WOE: Atkins, baby!
Girl please.. dont be eating anything associated with peanuts if you have allergies.. you can die
Now..being allergic to peanut butter is like being allergic to rainbows
Tracy210T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 04:33 PM   #33
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ~Erin~
haha...Tracy I love your humor!! Yup, when I found out I was allergic to it, I was pretty bummed!! I honestly didn't realize how dangerous it can be...I blame it on the foggy headiness!

So I've been reading about food allergies, and how it can contribute to hormonal issues, fatigue, headaches, etc. When there is an allergy, your adrenal glands go into attack, and after awhile it can drain your cortisol as well as progesterone levels.

I'm guessing the peanut allergy is not the main culprit, but I can definitely see it contributing to the problem.
~Erin~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 08:41 PM   #34
Senior LCF Member

im just here to help, if possible.

Ok! So, you might defientely be onto something there with the allergies. Have you been allergy tested? Mold, mildew, pet dander, dust..i actually didnt know that allergies could fatigue the adrenals. You had your DHEA tested in the saliva, right? That is for adrenal function.

Me, personally.. i'd just scrap ya and start over
Old 11-02-2012, 08:54 PM   #35
Senior LCF Member

Erin, maybe you are gluten intollerant? Have you been tested for that? My brother is gluten intolerant and he gets a stomach ache and acne when he eats something with gluten...
Old 11-03-2012, 06:59 AM   #36
Senior LCF Member

Good morning, whoever is around
Happy Saturday.
I picked up my second round of progesterone cream yesterday and I am to begin using it again Monday morning, for 14-15 days.
This last period came about 10-12 days early but was very light and only lasted 3 days. That was odd but i'll take it.
I have a calender im writing all of this stuff down on to compare to this month and also to report back to the doc in 2 weeks.

Ive been diligent with my elimination diet.. no alcohol *which is HARD*, no bologne, hot dogs, ie frankenfoods, no splenda or anything sweetened with artificial sweetner (stevia only) not skippig bfast (which im bad about) and eating lean protein and lots of fruits and vegetables... and 1-2 moderate workouts a day.. lots of water, centrum vitamin and of course using the progest exactly as prescribed and ive lost 10 lbs in 17 days. THAT is amazing because i've gained and lost the same 5 for over 3 years. Oh and I also had my doc RX me name brand synthroid which i have to pay for out of pocket.. tricare said no way
I also wanted to mention that ive been dealing with crushing hot searing CMC joint pain in my wrists from Dequervains synovitis.. i read the low levels of progesterone, cause your pain receptor sites to enlarge and become more easily inflammed. The more closer to normal your hormonal levels are, the less likely you are to be in chronic pain.. which is good because ive already had 4 wrist surgeries and im still in pain.. but the pain is reduced.

I will update here again next week when starting round two.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:35 AM   #37
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Going2
Stats: 215/184(166)/150 5'8"
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 2003
Sounds like you are making progress--thanks for sharing your experience.

And you cut out alcohol too ...

Going2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:52 AM   #38
Senior LCF Member

Yes! 19 days today, no alky

And as of this morning, down 11 lbs. Sleeping better, feeling better, no crying jags, no throwing things, no waking up feeling like ive been hit by a car.

I started round 2 of the progesterone today
Old 11-05-2012, 11:43 AM   #39
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: helpingrachel
Stats: 167/ 162.4/140 5ft 8
WOE: NK
Wow, Tracy you look so much thinner in your profile picture. Good for you! My daughter has yet to start Progest. cream as she has started her period every 15 days. Do you think she has too much estrogen??? I think so. I am feeling great. Weight is up and putting a plan together for that. It has to do with food choices and lack of exercise. Not the hormone change.
helpingrachel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 11:55 AM   #40
Senior LCF Member

Thanks.. I dont feel any different yet, weight wise but I am wearing a few things that were tight months ago.

Im not sure id put your teen on progest
What does her pediatrician say?
If she were my daughter and having cycles twice a month, Id start her on a low dose of orthotrycycline. I did this with my oldest daughter when she turned 14 and it regulated her and cleared up mild acne..BUT you will have to physically put the little pill on her tongue at the exact same time every day.. otherwise if she is like my daughter, she wont remember to take it on time and it will seriously screw up her cycles.

I just would think being as young as she is that there shouldnt be any reason her hormonal balance is off but defientely talk to her MD.

Im looking forward to your next update here!
Old 11-06-2012, 04:33 AM   #41
Senior LCF Member

She had her salvia testing done with our awesome new doctor. She did go to her pediatrician and ob/gyn and they put her on a low birth control. This was the last thing she needed. Bloated, no change in period, and increased fatigue. We found out that her estrogen is off the charts and has very low progesterone. Her new doctor recommended putting cream on last 14 days of cycle. I forgot to mention that she is taking a natural medicine to dump excess estrogen now. That makes sense to why she is having period after period. We go back to doctor in 6 weeks. Hopefully we will start to see a change....... no easy answers. She is 17 years old...

Last edited by helpingrachel; 11-06-2012 at 04:35 AM..
Old 11-06-2012, 06:58 AM   #42
Senior LCF Member

OH wow.. yeah.. BC isnt for everyone..
She is only 17 and having all of these estrogen driven problems? Poor thing.. does the doc know why her hormones are imbalanced at such a young age?

From what i've read, our hormones naturally start to get wonky in our 30's.. and then it just gets worse the older you get. I guess some women are naturally balanced and maintain a healthy lifestyle and dont have to deal with this crap until they are much older, but I see that is rare..

Good luck. Please keep me updated on you and your daughter
Old 11-07-2012, 06:04 AM   #43
Senior LCF Member

No, we don't know why she has excess estrogen. She is a trooper dealing with it all. I will keep you posted. I am praying that she makes it to her 14 day point to try progesterone.

It never is one size fits all when it comes to hormones.

Hugs.
Old 11-07-2012, 06:43 AM   #44
Senior LCF Member

Ack.. poor kid. I guess looking at your profile pic, I thought she was maybe 14ish..?
I hope she figures out what is wrong and can get back to normal. If shes having probs this young, she is destined to be plagued with them through her 20's and on up

Ok, so today is day 3 on round 2 of the progesterone cream. It appears that my hair has stopped falling out and my nails have stopped splitting and are actually growing. But my skin is still alligator dry, mainly on my legs. But, that could just be from the cooler weather, IDK.
I am ounces away from a 12 lb weight loss in 21 days. Think I will try and step it up, exercise wise the rest of the week and stick as close to straight protein as possible. Not that I consider this a plateau..
I havent drank in 21 days. I havent had any splenda either. I was ADDICTED to the ICE waters.. especially the ICE waters w/ rum
Ive stuck to stevia in my coffee and tea and just water or crystal lite with stevia now for 21 days..
The raging anger outbursts have stopped (knock on wood) and things have been peaceful at home.
I think being on the Synthroid vs the generic, levo, has been a big help.
Ive also found a chewable orange centrum vitamin that I LOVE and thats rare. I choke trying to take vitamins and gummys gross me out, so at least im now on a vitamin..
What else..
Defientely sleeping MUCH MUCH better with using the cream on my forearms in the AM, not the PM. I had the weirdest dreams using it at night.
I take 1 flexeril, 1 melatonin and 3 valerian root capsules about 10pm and by 10:30, im dead to the world.

I'll update again soon
Old 11-07-2012, 11:12 AM   #45
Senior LCF Member

You have a keen eye for age, she is 14 in this picture.

One thing my doctor pointed out to both of us was we were very low in Vit D. We are both on 5000 for fatigue. I know there are symptoms that go with this. Wonder if this plays a part in your dry skin. Great news on the hair and nails.
Old 11-08-2012, 11:24 AM   #46
Senior LCF Member

How do you know if your low in vitamin D? You get that with sunlight too, right?
Do you feel better with bringing up your Vit D?

OK, I slept like *BLEEEEEEEP* last night for some reason..
I did (3) 10 min kick boxing workouts when I got in and then a 15 min jog on the treadmill and was way too hot to eat dinner.. showered, jammas and water and about 9ish had a couple of non alky coors with lime.. bed at 10:30. Tossed and turned.. maybe I worked out too late.

But, down another lb this morning So thats 12 lbs in 3 weeks. I'll take it.

Interesting how many friends, family and coworkers avoid you like last weeks meatloaf leftovers when you are not drinking alcohol, not digging in the office halloween candy jar, not eating the doughnuts brought in for the b-days, and actually working out on lunch instead of ordering fast food
Ive barely said anything to anyone about my lifestyle changes but i defientely feel ditched
Old 11-12-2012, 03:31 AM   #47
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Cathmm
Hi girls

So nice to hear your stories and know you are not alone I have been dealing with hormonal issues on and off since I turned 40. Now 43. I managed most of them naturally but lately I've been worse and so over not feeling like myself. Looking back when it first started I had very heavy periods close together so was low in progesterone. Now my periods are coming further apart and I have dry eyes/vagina and insomnia which I think is now low estrogen. I have got estrogen and progesterone cream from my doc. I started with the progesterone but then got a period so stopped. Now ten days later I have had another period. Wierd. Just wanted to ask you girls who are on est and prog how you use each of them. Do u use est all month and pro for two weeks? I have been putting off going on hormones for so long but can't take the emotional ups and downs anymore. Do your symptoms get worse before they get better? I'm a bit scared to start the creams and was hoping for some advice and success stories. The Internet is so conflicting I could scream. I'd love to hear from you guys.

Cxx
Cathmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:36 AM   #48
Senior LCF Member

Cxx:

I apply one dose of estrogen a week and .04 liquid progesterone every other day. My daughter is trying to get progesterone going but had the same thing happen that you did, period 16 days apart. That is telling us how high she is with estrogen. Will be attempting to start her 14 days off from the start of her last period. She has very heavy periods.

My blood work was tied to low Vit D. That is helping greatly!
Old 11-12-2012, 07:18 AM   #49
Senior LCF Member

CXX- welcome, though im sorry you have to be here

Im sure since you are in your early 40's that you are most likely in peri-menopause. I think that hormone replacement therapy is unavoidable at this point.
I cannot say it enough though that it is incredibly important that you have a doctor help you with your medication schedules. I see online that self medicating with estrogen and progesterone can have disasterous results and can make your symptoms much, much worse. It has to be an exact balance in order for things to improve.

Please keep us updated here, we would love to hear how you are doing.

Tracy
Old 11-13-2012, 02:39 AM   #50
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Cathmm
Thanks for replying girls. My doc has just told me 1mg estrogen daily and ,25 progesterone. Ive had a breakthrough bleed so not sure how to proceed not seeing doc again until next month also shes not to fussed about the quantitities it seems like I don't really want to take anything but the natural stuff only helps to a certain extent. At the moment the worst symptoms are the extreme irritability/anger and insomnia. Tell me it gets better with hormones please::

I'm so getting on my own nerves ha ha

Cath
Cathmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:08 AM   #51
Senior LCF Member

Cath,
First off.. ((((hugs))) boy have I been where you are.. i am just now starting to see daylight after a long time in the dark, so I know what you mean.
My mood swings were ruining my marriage and my relationship with my kids.
Of course mine were also NOT helped by daily alcohol usage.

In order to achieve "harmony and balance" you have to eliminate everything that is disruptive. Women have a very, very delicate system and when things are wonky, you WILL suffer.

What kind of doctor are you seeing? Is it someone who specializes in hormones, hormonal imbalances and hormone replacement therapy? Ive seen that too much or too little of any of the hormones will reak complete havoc on you. You will think you are going crazy. Any Internist or gynocologist can RX meds but much like treating thyroid imbalances, if they dont know exactly what they are doing/ prescribing, it will make your problems worse.

Progesterone is produced by the ovaries each month and is designed to bring down excess estrogen and direct it to the bowels where it sits waiting to be elimated. Un-opposed estrogen in excess causes female cancers, rather quickly.

Can you research a physician who specializes in bio identical hormones? The preferred treatment (from what i've read in dozens of online articles) is the progesterone cream that is prepared by a compounding pharmacist.

You are (probably) too young to be in menopause so I would probably look at your progesterone/ estrogen ratio and the blood work is never an accurate picture. It only measures what is bound in the body.. saliva testing measures what is bound and what is "free".. giving you a better picture of what is off.

I can attest that 50% of my wicked symptoms are gone.. i still have CMC joint pain, dry , gritty eyes and dry skin but everything is SO much better. And ive lost 13 pounds in 3.5 weeks in which I was completely unable to lose even 1 lb before, when my estrogen was through the roof. I still have a long way to go to reaching my optimal health & weight though.

Sending healthy, healing vibes your way. Please keep us updated.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:20 AM   #52
Senior LCF Member

So, almost done with cycle 2 of the bio identical hormone replacement, progesterone cream.
Ive also been about a full month on the name brand synthroid vs levo. Im holding at at 13 lb loss and seem stalled but just realized that ive been taking melatonin, valarian root, 1 elavil and 1 flexeril at bedtime for pain-less sleep and have been digging deep trying to figure out why I seem stalled. It could be the elavil and flexeril. They both seem to be on the list of weight gaining meds.. great...

So, starting tonight, im off those two.. im wondering what else can I elminate??
No alcohol, no soda, no fast food, no splenda.. its been about 4.5 weeks and im working out between 1 and 2 times a day with taking Sunday off.
I see the doc tomorrow for a followup..

I've seen a dramatic decrease in anger/ mood swings/ rage. Slight increase in libido, steady weight/ weight loss (no gains) my hair stopped falling out, sleeping better and the bright fuscia color i turn when doing anything that makes me sweat... has gone. Ive had that since childhood. This is pretty good improvement
Old 11-27-2012, 07:32 PM   #53
Senior LCF Member

Wheww what a ride upddate.

So its been approximately 6 weeks since I began this journey. Lots of ups and downs.

The first thing I had to do to get things started on the right track was to cut my alcohol consumption by 99.99% which is hard because my husband, my neighbors, my parents.. every single person i come into contact with outside of work, drinks! And if you dont, well... you're weird
So after stopping the alcohol, tracking my periods (which are coming every 3 weeks) using the bio identical progesterone cream on days 12-25, switching from generic thyroid meds to the Synthroid and upping my exercise, along with NO sodas, no splenda or artificial sweetners of any kind, and sticking to clean, low carb eating, ive lost about 16 lbs. Actually this morning, I saw 17 lbs on the scale but wont claim it until it sticks.

I feel better, clothes are fitting a TON better. Sleeping better, libido is coming back on up where it used to be, no outbursts or meltdowns and I think i could be at goal by the first of the year, which is so hard to believe im saying this with as miserable and difficult getting this diagnosis has been. Im praying hard things keep going in the right direction.

Oh, I did have a 2 week stall that was driving me crazy. I had gotten used to having a couple of the non alcoholic coors with lime at night but realized they are loaded with carbs I cut them out, increased my workouts and still didnt lose.. i then started eliminating things one by one and bingo- fresh fruit. Major no-no until you are close to goal. You know those little packs walmart sells in the deli with caramel? I was eating 1-2 day. I cut them out and the weight started moving again. Too much sugar.
Ok, a progess pic. This was taken yesterday. Right after hiking the GA mountains for an hour and I mean almost straight up in some places
Old 11-27-2012, 07:46 PM   #54
Senior LCF Member

And LCF wont upload my pic *rolleyes*..
Ill try again tomorrow and ask a mod if i still wont upload.
Old 11-27-2012, 07:50 PM   #55
Senior LCF Member

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/me...1-dsc02963.jpg

This was yesterday.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:17 AM   #56
Senior LCF Member

Tracy! You look so good. No hormonal side rolls on the belly. I bet you feel so great. You earned it. Your inner indulger toward alcohol and sugar has been handcuffed and the payoff is your weight loss and energy. Good FOR YOU!!!

Plugging away with exercise and eating right. Feeling great. No more fatigue which was an issue before bio-hormones.

I am joyful that I have a different outlook for this Christmas season. Full of joy and more energy.....what a gift!
Old 11-28-2012, 07:31 AM   #57
Senior LCF Member

Maybe this will show up?

Rachel, thanks! So glad you are doing better
How is your daughter? Did she ever get her estrogen down and cycles regulated?
Old 11-29-2012, 07:02 AM   #58
Senior LCF Member

She did not.....3 month of ready to start Progesterone on Day 12-13 and Period started after one day. I don't know what to do with her....She is still taking an estrogen release pill and liver support. We talked about just starting it at day 12 regardless but better talk with her Doctor to see.....So crazy....She did say that her monthly periods were becoming normal so that is a plus......So hard to know what to do....

Any thoughts???
Old 11-29-2012, 07:19 AM   #59
Senior LCF Member

ugh.. ok. no, no, dont start her on progest if her periods are still whacked out like that. It will make things so much worse.

Im sorry, I forgot, did you say she is seeing a physician about this?
I know this stuff isnt cheap but if her doc doesnt have a clue why her cycles are still off and she is still having estrogen dominance symptoms, id find a new doc.

My doc took payments on the money I owed.. I just saw her last week and she was very pleased. She said to see me back in February.

You dont want to start the progest cream until day 12 of the first day of her cycle. Continue from day 12-26. Then off.
I know mine have become a week early every month and fairly shorter but still somewhat un-predictable. Im hoping that will change.

There are so many other factors though that play into hormone imbalance. What about diet, exercise, stress?
Old 11-30-2012, 08:28 PM   #60
Senior LCF Member

We see our Doctor on Monday who I trust and will get any insights from her. I didn't start her on Progest cream, was waiting for day 12 from Dr. orders. I will talk with her Dr. to see what else might be causing this. She exercises 3-4 week, straight A students that stresses about honors class load, teaches swim lessons and volunteers about 3 hours a week. No boyfriend, tons of friends...pretty easy going. Her face is completely broke out. Hopefully something will shift...or new insights on Monday. Thanks for sharing.