Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Women's Health
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2013, 09:15 AM   #331
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Tracy210T
Stats: 194/163/150
WOE: Atkins, baby!
Judy,WOW. Poor mom That sounds so complicated. Im glad she is on the mend. I know how I feels to stress and worry about your aging parents. What are the signs of pancreatitis?

Dawn, did you have the pellets inserted? You didn't say.
Gosh, you sound a little miserable right now.. I swear, more and more, this hormone mess is maddening!
What book are you reading? Im reading 3 right now
Still finishing S Somers Ageless, reading The Estrogen Answer Book and John Lees, What your doctor may not tell you about premenopause. Sigh.

Anyone have anything positive to report about hormones?
I thought I found my niche' but everything kinda stopped again.
The night sweats went away, my mood has been pretty good.. and my hair seems to have slowed way down, as in loss. So that's good. Im about to finish up progesterone for this cycle..haven't noticed much improvement yet its still early.. hope you all have a great sunday!
Tracy210T is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-29-2013, 03:29 PM   #332
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/124.8/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
Tracy--I said I did have my insertion. It really hurt this time. Still bruised. And I am not miserable. I am actually behaving so much better. But hard to say if it is the hormones or just me that is behaving. I have been to a few school functions and had to handle some school issues and I thought I did pretty well. Where beforehand when I had to deal with similar issues in my children's schools I was embarrassed to show my face again I behaved so badly. So if anything my perspective/mood has changed to be more sensitive and think a lot before reacting. I understand it is hard to tell by a post how one is doing LOL.

I am a bit disappointed, if anything, that the hormones I have been getting have not done much for me. I have invested a small fortune in the treatment and not getting what I wanted out of it. The testosterone was supposed to give me the energy boost I was looking for. Didn't do anything but give me pimples! So that is not for me. I have to explore other reasons for my lack of energy. The doc I saw one time at the hormone clinic said I should go gluten free. So it may be just dietary reasons for my issues, not really hormone related at all. I think I could do better if I could just stay away from sugar. But I have to have my chocolate EVERY DAY. In fact that is the book I am reading right now "Why Women Need Chocolate". I have to explore some more about these darned hormones. So much reading to do and so little time to do it in. If anything I am disappointed, disheartened and just plain not knowing what to do to feel "good". I have not felt good in I couldn't tell you how long, that I wouldn't know "good" if it hit me over the head right now LOL.

I am glad to hear you are seeing such improvements in your health Tracy!! That is fantastic. I cannot believe at your age you have had to deal with night sweats. It seemed that once I was on the hormones I STARTED having them. Darn estrogen!!! I blamed it on my sugar binges, but it was so coincidental to starting the estrogen that it may be related to that. I went from literally freezing at all hours of the day/night to being hot. It is nice to finally feel normal, as that is how my family is. Not needing a sweater in the summer was very freeing. But the night sweats I can do without! Thank goodness they have stopped. I found also that starting the hormone treatment didn't curb my appetite at all. In fact, found it made me want to eat even more. And binge more too. You said you lost weight, right Tracy??? Good for you!!!
Old 09-30-2013, 07:33 AM   #333
Senior LCF Member

Dawn, when was the last time you did your bloodwork? From everything I reading, finding your "balance" doesnt normall happen right away.. it takes numerous tweaks and really having to pay very close attention to your body and notice even the smallest most subtle changes to be able to fine tune things.
I would defientely make sure my diet is nice and clean and as natural, organic and unprocessed as possible. One thing I eliminated a long time ago and can tell a huge difference if I drink or eat it is aspartame. ITS IN EVERYTHING.. the lists of health problems from ingesting aspartame grows every day.. it is so toxic! If you can eliminate artifical sweetners in every form possible, you will be doing yourself a great justice
I hope you find your niche' soon. It really is frustrating, to say the least. Maybe you should change hormone docs.
Oh and if you're getting pimples from the testosterone, you may be taking too much.. from what ive read.
I also cant stress enough how important daily exercise is.. its crucial you do something every day that you like and that gets your heart rate up..

Im in the same boat as you in that we just want to feel better!
Old 09-30-2013, 08:23 AM   #334

Tracy--I walk every day. Now that my husband works from home we get out twice a day. So I have that covered. As far as the pimples, I know that too much testosterone is a side effect and my doc and I have discussed how much I should be getting. That is what I like about seeing a doc and going through this with someone more knowledgeable. We can discuss what to do FOR ME. She has the bloodwork, I get it done every 3 months, and she knows what I *should* have, we discuss what I *want* and we go from there. We have a back and forth and I like having someone who knows something more than me decide what to do for me. We go with more rather than less so I don't have to go in more frequently than I currently do. I don't want to go in for the tweaking. I go so often now, just cannot get up off my butt to go in more. My first appointment was in Feb. Was hoping to have things working right by now. It seems as if I have been doing this forever. That is why I am starting to think that hormones is not the only thing going on with me. Something else is off.

As far as food, I am doing the best I can with what I can afford. I cannot afford much though. I have 4 kids for Pete's sake!!! They are expensive!! I cannot afford all organic, all unprocessed food. We need some kind of convenience some of the time. I love to cook thankfully, so I do cook a lot. Just not every day. This is a process.

Oh, and I have forgotten about why I am seeing so many breakouts right now. I am detoxing! I am on my hcg protocol and every time I start it up I get pimples. It is the detox coming out on my skin. I forgot about that. But just having the testosterone put in, I thought of that first. Ugh!!! Too much to worry about.
dawnyama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 06:25 AM   #335
Senior LCF Member

I hear ya.. i do hope you find some balance soon (me too).. this sucks and i dont know about you, but im young! I wasnt hoping to deal with all of this for another 6-8 years

Yes, eating healthy is expensive. I totally agree with you on that. My husband, me and our 2 girls all eat at home and bring lunches every day so I do know that is costly!
We are retired military though so i have the luck of using our commissary and wow do we rack up. 30% off on groceries and no tax.
So I really cant complain too much.

When did you say you had your bloodwork done last? Its been about 8-9 weeks for me so I am going to fax my doctor a request for a lab sheet to me mailed so I can do my labs the end of the month. I need to test everything BUT progesterone on day 12 of my cycle and progesterone alone on day 21.

How are your cortisol levels?
Old 10-03-2013, 09:36 AM   #336

Tracy--yes, I so agree you ARE way too young!!! I thought I was too but in my reading/research I am right on target for perimenopause. Big GRRRRRR!!! I hate it!!! My DH's aunt is retired military and she shops at the commissary. She loves going. She gets us stuff there as well. She is widowed, with no kids so we take care of her. All her family (brothers, sisters, nieces etc) are in Japan. And she is my DH's only family here in the states. So it all works out! I am due for my next set of blood work soon. I go every 3 months. That must make you crazy just trying to remember when you need to test. At least they have ME on a schedule and tell ME when to come in LOL.

Never had my cortisol levels tested. No idea what they are. But I have been told I have adrenal fatigue.
Old 10-04-2013, 09:44 AM   #337
Senior LCF Member

well.. now the comissary is shut down.. and the BX and the shoppette
Spoke too soon I guess..

Dawn, you should have a 24 hour saliva or urine cortisol test done to evaluate your cortisol levels. Adrenal fatigue is kinda scary!
Old 10-05-2013, 04:33 AM   #338

Gallery: Bluqq
Stats: at birth weight, lucky for mom she had big hips
Start Date: 11/24/05
Morning Girls

I am doing well! I don't know why but I am not second guessing it LOL
I started on the liquid magnesium and its been about a month maybe...I swear I feel like a new person. Many things have resolved themselves. My mood is calm and normal, my sleep is deeper than ever, energy is back, my chest was sore this month and my period was a non event.....just like the old days ...really is amazing. He kept my current script for my last round of compounding. I felt good but not ahhhhh. I slept through the night but it was a light sleep...that sorta thing,
I'm not altering a thing for now. I am not ale to lose weight, it could very well be because I am where I should be but I am use to being ale to shave 5 off quickly. I did still mans for 2 weeks and lost nothing. I don't need to lose so I'm not even going to tweak and worry.....I'll just maintain and be happy
Jesus wept John 11:35
September 11, 2001
Bluqq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 07:00 AM   #339
Senior LCF Member

You sound much better, Bluqq
Isnt that the most frustrating thing, not being able to burn fat stores due to hormonal chaos? I hate it. It is my biggest complaint.
Please keep us updated. Did you have to do a blood test for the magnesium, to see if you were deficient?

Well i have been on bio identical estrogen now for about 8 weeks. The pharmacist and her hormone expert said i should stay on a low dose of progesterone all month. Doubling the dose on days 12-21, like ive been doing for a year and no cream at all the first 3 days of my period.
They also started me on low dose testosterone, as my levels were low of that too.
So, now, it looks like every single hormone I had was depleted nearly. Still have no idea how this happened at a young age, but it is what it is.
I havent weighed but dont feel like ive lost any weight yet.. it takes time, I know. My hair has stopped falling out though
That was huge for me, huge. It was becoming very scary. My mood is good, sleeping pretty great.. no temper tantrums or meltdowns in a while..

Check in ladies!
Old 10-15-2013, 07:05 AM   #340

Hi Tracey!

I'm starting hcg on Sunday I had a few discs rupture and was put on steroids. Whamm0....ten pound gain
Low carb doesn't work sooooo. Hcg seems interesting to me

All us great Aside from that !
Old 10-15-2013, 09:49 AM   #341

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluqq View Post
Hi Tracey!

I'm starting hcg on Sunday I had a few discs rupture and was put on steroids. Whamm0....ten pound gain
Low carb doesn't work sooooo. Hcg seems interesting to me

All us great Aside from that !
Oh, another hcger!! I just finished my round. I might hop back to it this weekend though. Didn't get down to where I wanted and am thinking ahead to the holidays. Hcg is wonderful. I love it very restrictive but very very effective!!!! My avi pic is me at my goal weight of 115, done while on hcg. Looking to get back there.
Old 10-15-2013, 10:40 AM   #342

Awesome so I will pick your brain ! I've been reading and reading
Old 10-15-2013, 11:48 AM   #343

Quote:
pick away!!! I would love to help
Old 10-21-2013, 08:59 AM   #344

I was flipping channels this morning and caught a bit of a show called "Home and Family". It is on the Hallmark Channel, which I don't watch very often. But somehow someone wanted me to watch this morning. The segment I caught was Dr. Sara Gottfried talking about her book, "The Hormone Cure". She was talking about cortisol and how it was so important a hormone and that many women have trouble with too high a level of cortisol in our bodies. I am sure the segment can be seen on the Hallmark Channel site, but she was a very interesting guest. I loved it!! I caught a few things....she said that phosphytidalserine was very very important to supplement with if you have high levels of cortisol. She also said rhodiola is good. I am not sure on the spellings of these, but a google search can let you know of the correct one. Fish oil was the other important one. She also believes that food should be very important to help different hormonal issues. She said that cutting gluten out as well as caffeine were very good. And then she said that eating dark chocolate AFTER BREAKFAST was beneficial!!! WooHoo on that one!! I was very disappointed to hear about the caffeine, but knew in the back of my head that it is what you should do if you have high cortisol. It was what my doc told me to do way back when. Oh, and the other thing she said was the phosphytidal serine would take 4 weeks to kick in and make you feel better. That is what I got out of the show, so glad I caught it!!!!
Old 10-21-2013, 09:00 AM   #345

Quote:
I see you have started. And found out the best part super fast weight loss
Old 10-26-2013, 06:48 PM   #346

So I am guessing no one is taking the phosphatidylserine LOL. I am going to look for it and see if I can benefit from it. Dr Gottfried really said it would help lower those cortisol levels.
Old 10-27-2013, 04:45 AM   #347

What's that dawn?
Old 10-27-2013, 07:30 AM   #348
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
Dawn if you can find it, I'm interested....
JMCM1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 01:53 PM   #349

Quote:
What's that dawn?
See post #344
Old 10-28-2013, 01:55 PM   #350

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCM1 View Post
Dawn if you can find it, I'm interested....
My Kroger didn't have it and I haven't had a chance to get to my health food store yet. So it might be a while before I get it. Just keeping it in the back of my mind for when I pop in one. I might go to Whole Foods this weekend (it is a 45 minute drive from here but will be on that side of town Sunday).
Old 10-28-2013, 02:21 PM   #351
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Erin57
Stats: 220/150/145 5'9"
WOE: Moderate Carb/IF
Start Date: April 2010
Dawn- DH takes Cortosol Manager and swears by it. It is pricy. It has 50 mg of phosphatidylserine.
Erin57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 02:54 PM   #352
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Star123
Stats: 208/190/128 @ 5`5"
WOE: moderate LC living
Start Date: Restart 08/2014
Hi Ladies ~ Sorry to interrupt you'll but I had a question about pre-menopause. When my sis was 48 her menstrual cycle stopped. I'm 51 and the flow and cramps are getting very heavy. I know that age varies but I'm wondering if anyone knows if that's normal before it completely stops. I figure when I'm 52 it will be all over. Just impatient! What are your thoughts on this?

Thanks
Star123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 08:52 PM   #353
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: JerseyAmy
Hi all! I read this entire thread to try and get info. I am having testosterone pellets inserted on Thursday. I have the Mirena IuD with progestin, so I am not sure yet if my dr will prescribe progestin as well.

This started 3 years ago (I am 39). I had been on oral contraceptives for 18 years at that point - I got on them as soon as I had my son and was done nursing. At this point, I had been on Yasmin for several years. When all the lawsuits came out, my gyno chanced my bc. Well, the pills didn't work for me- I got moody and depressed (I had never had this problem before). We switched the bc, and this one didn't work either. I also started to blow up! I had always been fit (usually a 2/4), and suddenly I was a 4/6. It didn't look like I gained all over, I just looked bloated! My face was suddenly round!

We switched bc again, but at e same time I broke out in a rash all over my body. This would come and go for months! I finally went to a dermatologist, and he rand some blood work. I am not sure what he even checked for. Anyway, he put me on prednisone for 10 days- this pushed me into a full 6, and some of those were tight! This was NOT normal for my body? I was extremely uncomfortable and depressed because of it.

The rashes went away for a while, but came back after a few weeks. The dermatologist out me on prednisone again!!!! I started taking it and went to another dermatologist. She said I couldn't stop the prednisone cold turkey and gave me a step-down schedule. She also did blood work - it wasn't celiac (which I knew) or anything else she tested for. She gave me a prescription cream and warned me that the rash would come back, but to just use the cream.

While I did this, I decided to stop taking Welchol. I had been taking it since I had my gallbladder removed in 2008. The rash only comes back on my arms now when I eat a ton of wheat or if I take the Welchol.

So fast forward- I am engaged and planning a wedding. It wasn't a huge affair since se had both been married before. Still, I wanted to look good in my dress. I decided to do the Insanity program in the weeks before the wedding. My (then) fiancé was staying with his dad during the week to take care of him (he had cancer and his mother had just died from cancer). I had plenty of time to work out.

To be continued...
JerseyAmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 09:14 PM   #354
Junior LCF Member

So- I definitely have to say Insanity is a great program for the first few weeks. I was eating 1450 calories a day and doing the program as instructed. The first few weeks definitely burns fat, but for me I could tell afterwards that I started burning muscle (and I knew better- strength training is especially important for women)! I also could tell that red wine made my face puffy - whether it was one glass or a whole bottle!

Anyway, I was back to a 4 with my waist getting nice and small again (I am 5'7"). I had never struggled with this in my life! To me, I looked skinny-fat. I didn't even think about hormones because I was oly 36-37 at this time. I had not spoken to my mother in over 10 years, so I had no real history.

We had the wedding and I hated the pictures. I felt like my arms looked gross. We got married at my favorite place- Disney!- and I only have one framed pic up (which annoys my husband).

We switched my bc AGAIN because of constant spotting. I constantly felt tired and gross. I had been having pain on my right side for a while, and I was afraid of an ectopic pregnancy! I called my gyno's office and they had me come in for a vag ultrasound. There was nothing there other than really small fibroids that my dr said I don't need to worry about.... Anyway, the pain didn't go away (it got worse) so I went to my urgent care clinic thinking maybe a kidney stone. They did an ultrasound (abdominal) and found 2 small cysts on my right ovary and fluid in the cul-de-sac meaning that a cyst had burst. The male dr prescribed antibiotics and told me my gyno would probably want to do a hysterectomy.

I scheduled an appt to speak with my gyno again. I brought a DVD of the ultrasound, print outs and the transcript. For the last couple of years I had mentioned to her that I was feeling sluggish and putting on weight. She just chalked it up to aging. I wa 37!!!!! Anyway, she said that the cysts must have developed over the weekend and one ruptured. She suggested another bc pill, so I changed AGAIN.

Now, I had just started a new job and my boss was VERY understanding (he was surrounded by women growing up). I was scheduled for LASIK the following month and would be working from home the Monday and Tuesday after surgery. When I came back on that Tuesday, I had my first ever anxiety attack!!! I was closing a HUGE deal that day, and I pulled my boss into the conference room, nearly in tears (and I don't cry) and told him I needed to work from home. I got home and paced the house for hours as I closed this deal. After it was closed, I took a Xanax (which we had from my husband's parents- we kept some meds for emergency after they passed).

I ended up working from home all week. I had a hair appointment one evening and was very on-edge. I was up and down with the anxiety, and it left me very fatigued.

TBC....
Old 10-29-2013, 09:28 PM   #355
Junior LCF Member

Continued:
I headed back to work that following Monday. (this was sept 2012). In November I had another attack while at work and I bolted. I sent my boss an e-mail telling him I was out - this was Tuesday thanksgiving week. I took a Xanax and tried to relax as we were driving out to west Texas that night. It took me hours to calm down. It also left me with the side effected having to go to the bathroom a lot- so we had a lot of stops on the way.

When we got back, I had sporadic anxiety attacks. They were usually shorter and a couple of times involved going over a super high overpass when my husband was driving. I would make him slow down. Thankfully, he was understanding. His mom had severe anxiety (and depression) for over 25 years.

By this time, I was back up to a 6. I called my dr and begged to get back on Yasmin as I never had these issues on it. I also hired a perso al trainer and nutritionist. My dr switched me and I was doing great with the trainer. I lost a size (back to a 4) and people were commenting on it at work. Odd thing- I mostly weight trained and rarely did cardio, but I was not seeing any muscle gains! I started getting tired again. We had another Disney trip coming up in May and I looked ok for it, but I knew something was off.

In this time, my libido just disappeared all together. I couldn't care less if we had sex- which drove my husband nuts! We were VERY active the first year of our relationship, and now we've been married a year and we rarely have sex!?

I went to my gyno again and she said it was just age and that it wasn't a new relationship anymore. To appease me, she checked my thyroid levels- everything was fine.

I decided to use a diffeeent nutritionist (my trainer's dad) to see if that would help my plateau. He immediately put me on a low-carb, high-fat program. In the first 2 weeks it worked great! I lost 7 lbs (probably all water). I was still a 4, but now I wasn't a puffy 4. I stuck with it a while, but was very stressed at work at the same time.

TBC...
Old 10-29-2013, 09:41 PM   #356
Junior LCF Member

...Continued

I called a couple of wellness places by me (one in Houston and one in the woodlands). One was a minimum of $5k (Dr Hotze) and the other $3200. My husband was supportive and all for it, but it felt gimmicky to me. The less expensive one was closer to my house, but it seemed like a lot of money for yeast cleansing, a diet program and hormone testing plus supplements. Oh, and I would have had to get off the pill. I wasn't ready for that.

I decided to try to focus on diet and exercise. My weight was still up and down, got the bloat err wine, etc. I felt like I was getting hot flashes too! I was getting cysts about every 3-4 weeks (by now I could tell when they ruptured). I was texting with my personal trainer from years ago, and I asked her what caused her hysterectomy: fibroids. Yikes! I started telling her about what was up with me, and my gyno chalking it up to age. She said that was bullsh*t and that I needed to get hormone testing. She had just gotten pellets inserted and she said it changed her life and she wished she would have tried this before her hysterectomy!

She gave me her dr's info, and I called to make an appt. Her dr was about 30 mins away, so I started researching bio-identical hormones in the Woodlands. I found out the head Dr at my gyno's office dealt with bio-identicals and pellets!!!! I usually prefer a female gyno, but when my normal dr was out on maternity leave, he treated me a few years ago. I remembered him being very nice.

Well- I had my appt with him and he talked to me for what seemed like 30 mins! Based on my symptoms (night sweats, low libido, abdominal weight gain, fatigue, etc) he said he thought I had low testosterone. However, I couldn't be tested while on the pill.

TBC...
Old 10-29-2013, 10:24 PM   #357
Junior LCF Member

Continued (promise it's almost done!)

While I continued to talk with Dr Syal, he asked how many kids I have. I told him one- a 21 year old son. He asked if my husband had kids- told him no. He asked if we were going to have any kids together- again no. He asked if my husband was ok wi that- I said yes, we discussed it before marriage. I am 39 and my husband is 43. We didn't want to start over with a baby. He asked if I was sure (that kind of annoyed me but I didn't let it show). I told him I was certain- with my recent health issues and my husbands' parents dieing recently, we didn't want to go down that road. I told him my husband offered to get a vasectomy and I had thought about getting my tubes tied (since I was the one with issues anyway).

Turns out he wanted to suggest something new for me. Dr Syal didn't think I'd like tubal ligation, as I'd still have a period (and I cramp horribly and have it for 8 days). He suggested the Mirena IUD. He said most women's periods go away completely after a year. He also said that as women age (hate that word) we sometimes don't tolerate the pill as well anymore. I asked in being on 5 different pills in 2 years could be part of the problem- he said definitely. I asked lots of questions. When I asked about cysts, he said if they are functional cysts, I will still get them (he said I was likely still ovulating because bc is not as strong as it used to be and many women still ovulate). I told him I had friends with Mirena, and my gf's who are fitness competitors do not take the pill. He kind of laughed and said they really can't bc of the estrogen.

So the next step was for me to get Mirena, and then do hormone testing 6 weeks after.

They had to check my insurance before scheduling my appointment for insertion. My insurance covered the Mirena 100% which was great! I think it's $800 out of pocket. I scheduled it for the following Thursday afternoon so I could work from home Friday (and Monday was labor day).

Had it inserted (traumatic!!!!!). My friends who got theirs had no issues. My uterus tips backwards, so it took him 3 tries. I won't go any further about it unless someone is thinking of getting it and PMs me for details. I'll just say everyone's experience is different.

I was to stay on the pill for a week after insertion, which I did. When I got off the pill, I felt better every week! Dry skin and hair looking nicer, not as groggy in the morning, lost 5 lbs in 4 weeks (I lost my job so I have had a lot of time to work out). When I went die my follow up, Dr Syal asked if I felt like I needed the hormone testing still. I told him I was having night sweats less frequently but they were still there. I also told him I wasn't seeing muscle gains regardless of lifting, and my libido was still non existent. He said ok- we will test you since you are here (i liked that he wasn't pushing it on me). The phlebotomist (i think that's what they are called) came in the room and too sooooo many vials of blood! Then I had to wait....

I was hoping to get results by Monday (testing was done in Thursday) as we were leaving for Disney (yes again- we are there twice a year) on Saturday. If I needed a pellet, it would be mailed from the compounding pharmacy to my house, and I could have possibly gotten in on Friday.

Well, I didn't get results until Wednesday afternoon. Everything was "good", except that indeed I do have low Testosterone. I am at .4 and they want women to be at 2.5 or higher (can't remember the upper limit). I cannot even express how RELIEVED I am to finally know what's "wrong" with me! I was just bummed I couldn't get that pellet before my trip!

I was supposed to have it implanted on Monday the 28th, but we came back from Disney sick. I didn't want to be ill when having it done - didn't know if it would be an issue.i am glad I didn't because I have felt almost like I have the flu!(can't be- got a flu shot!). My appointment is now on Thursday. Pellet plus insertion is $275. There are actually 2 pellets one 100 mg ans one 25 mg. I don't know if I I'll get both or If they will hold back the 25 in case I need a "booster" after a month. Doubt it though- talked to my friend who has them and she said she asked her dr today (just got second round) her dose. 125 mg- its pretty standard. It only goes up if you are over 200 lbs. She said she didn't get estrogen this time (she has both bc of her hysterecromy) because they found that implanting estrogen each time has caused weight gain. I thought that was interesting even though I don't need estrogen as of now.

Anyway- thanks for reading my novel. If I have helped anyone with my story, tht's great! I will update the blog after I get this going. I want to check up on everyone as I have learned so much already, and who knows what else we will all learn!?
Old 11-08-2013, 08:32 AM   #358
Senior LCF Member

Hi ladies, happy Friday and welcome to the new faces
Sorry to those majorly struggling with this hormone stuff! Please keep posting and keep us updated. I want to know everyone's experience
Maybe we will figure this all out soon.

Update on me.. now its been 2.5 months on bio identical estrogen (bi-est) and i just did bloodwork and my estrogens are all still super low. So im not absorbing the stupid cream.
Progesterone looked good though. The other labs are pending. My Free T4 is great, Free T3, very low which means im not converting it over like I was before.

Still plagued with all of the same symptoms. Dry gritty eyes, horrid joint pains, hair loss, anxiety, dry brittle nails, chronic inflammation. No weight loss.

So ive gone back to the web and searched, searched, searched..

I think i found my problem, as is the problem with about 90% of us americans- IODINE DEFICIENCY

Apparently, this western diet we live on and mass producing food in nutrient depleted soil, is leaving most of us with little to no iodine. Makes perfect sense. The thyroid controls the brunt of the endocrine system, along with the pituatary, hypothalmus, adrenals... etc. When one part of the loop is broken or damaged, it causes a train wreck. Iodine is essential to every cell in your body and helps to run your metabolism via the thyroid.

I could not figure out why my TSH is chronically low. Well now I know iodine deficiency causes this. Breast, colon and uterine health is crucial yet impossible with inadequate supplies of iodine, which our body does not make. We have to get it from fish, seaweed, certain veggies.

So i went to the drugstore and bought tincture of iodine. I painted a big circle on my inner arm and watched it for a while. It was completely gone in 3 hours. I think thats a good indication i am probably deficient. I am reading that this is huge epidemic and doctors just dont think to test.

I also see that supplementing with bio identical hormones and thyroid meds is just putting a bandaid over a sore. You have to get to the root of the problem and that restoring iodine levels in the body will bring all of the other hormones into balance, possibly leaving you able to get off all hormones.
I just got a referral to an endo and am waiting for a new patient appt. I want an iodine loading test and want to start some T3 supplementation. I did start some kelp tabs (which are GROSS .. equivilent to licking a big fish)
I also ordered a book on amazon "what you do not know about iodine can wreck your life" or something similar to that. Lots of great reviews.
Im excited about this new revelation. I will keep you all updated.
Happy Friday!
Old 11-08-2013, 08:54 AM   #359
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
My sister and I are still 24/7 with my recovering mother.
But she IS recovering.

I'm just glad for your research and your willingness to share here...
JMCM1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 12:12 PM   #360
Senior LCF Member

That is great news about your mom I hope she continues on the path to wellness!

I will keep you guys updated and again, please feel free to jump in and give your input anytime