LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2013, 10:05 AM   #271
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Tracy210T
Stats: 194/163/150
WOE: Atkins, baby!
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelbyla View Post
Following. I'm trying to catch up on the whole thread before weighing in on anything but suffice it to say that I've been dealing with hormonal issues for about a dozen years now (I'm 46) and have been through the wringer on thyroid, adrenal, and sexy hormone issues as well as vitamin and mineral deficiencies and weigh gain as a result.

When I get all read up, I will be back!
oh hunny feel free to jump right in prior to reading all of this rambling
Tracy210T is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-02-2013, 03:30 PM   #272
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
I need to reveal another reason I'm watching this thread. My DD33 is due with her first child, our first grandchild, Oct. 1. For about 5 years she has had perfect symptoms as a woman going into menopause. I'm actually her step mother, so I don't feel I can demand all the info I want to demand from her.

After she has our grandchild, how many months should she wait before having sex hormones checked? And each time I'd ask for her thyroid numbers, she told me her docs said they were "fine." So I will (again) ask for the actual numbers and acceptable ranges for her FT3 & FT4 to see if I think they are fine.

She has felt GREAT during pregnancy - completely the opposite of not being pregnant.
Old 09-02-2013, 03:35 PM   #273
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: shelbyla
Stats: 210/160/145
WOE: rx hCG, whole foods
Start Date: rx hCG R9 start 09/04/14
Ok...whew! I'm all caught up! Now, let's see...where should I start? Maybe with my story so you can see where I've been and where I'm going from here... I guess to start off, I will say that I'm 46 years old and have been dealing with hormone imbalances for a large part of my life.

I was first introduced to the wonders of hormone therapy in the form of birth control. I got my first period when I was 9 and from that day until I got on birth control pills, I had a 9 day regular period--1 medium day, 7 HEAVY days, and 1 light day. No joke. I remember sitting in the bathroom when I was a child swearing that as soon as I was old enough, I was getting my tubes tied. While I wasn't EXACTLY sure what that entailed, I knew about it because my Mom used that phrase for as long as I could remember because she had hers done after my youngest brother was born (surprise!). And she didn't have a period. Ever. Which sounded like paradise to a 10 year-old who dealt with the Texas chainsaw massacre every 30 days or so. Along with THAT, I also had cramps of death (which I didn't understand because they didn't FEEL like legs cramps--more like extreme nausea) and PMS from he11. I'm sure I was a complete JOY to be around!

After I got on the pill at 15, my period normalized to 3-4 days. I've read in this thread that some folks are very anti-BC but FOR ME, it was a godsend. Literally. For the first time, I didn't have to worry about breakthrough bleeding, or running to the bathroom in the middle of 6th grade class, or feeling too nauseated to participate in PE. For those who point to chemicals and additives etc. etc. as a cause of premature cycling in young girls, I will say that I grew up on a farm. My father was a hunter and fisherman and we kept cows and chickens and had an extensive vegetable garden. It doesn't really get much more "organic" than how I ate growing up so FOR ME that wasn't a contributing factor.

Fast forward to college years... As was the case with many girls, I had female roommates and starting "cycling" with them. Because we were often different BC cycles, I would frequently get multiple periods a month until and unless I started and stopped my pills to coincide with theirs. It's the one thing I always ask when folks are having multiples in a month. Are you hanging with any other ladies who are still cycling and what do their cycles look like? The pheromones can definitely cause some wacky stuff... Getting on a slightly stronger birth control with differing hormone levels (a "tri" level BC) was helpful but it didn't alleviate all of my symptoms and I continued to have intermittent episodes of breakthrough when I was exposed to other ladies. With all of the messing around (starting and stopping as well as stronger hormone levels), I also began to have heavier periods and occasional severe cramping and PMS, always signs that something is not quite right.

(gotta run for now...to be continued... )
hhCG round 3 - 01/03/12, 23 days, pellets, 3/3/3, 157->141
_hCG round 4 - 05/05/12, 24 days, rx hCG, 125iU, 148->136
_hCG round 5 - 08/11/12, 26 days, rx hCG, 125iU, 159->140
_hCG round 6 - 08/05/13, 26 days, rx hCG, 150-200iU, 160->146
_hCG round 9 - 09/04/14, ?? days, rx hCG, 150iU, ~172->???
shelbyla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 03:42 PM   #274
Blabbermouth!!!

One quick question for Tracy - are you still losing hair? If so, have you had an iron panel? For reasons that I'll get into later, iron is key to all of these hormones working properly together. It is FREQUENTLY something that women are deficient in and causes hair loss by the handful. It's also something doctors will almost ALWAYS tell you is "normal" when you need far higher numbers in the "normal" range for everything to work right. If you haven't had one, you need to have...

Serum iron - should be 100+
Iron saturation (%) - should be 35-45%
TIBC (total iron binding capacity) - should be on the low end of normal
UIBC (unbound iron binding capacity) - should be on the low end of normal
Ferritin - measure of stored iron in the blood

Also, as a headsup, you CAN get FREE estradiol tested in a blood test. Often doctors will say that you can't but that is complete BS. They do it all the time and Labcorp will run it. If you do free T and free E by blood it's actually more accurate as saliva can be dicey after you start BHRT. (I'll see if I can dig up some references to that.)
Old 09-02-2013, 04:29 PM   #275
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Holy moly I'm excited you are on this thread Shelby!
JMCM1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 04:55 PM   #276
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Erin57
Stats: 220/150/145 5'9"
WOE: Moderate Carb/IF
Start Date: April 2010
Hurry back Shelby! I want to hear the rest of the story.
Erin57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 04:07 AM   #277
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/119.2/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCM1 View Post
I need to reveal another reason I'm watching this thread. My DD33 is due with her first child, our first grandchild, Oct. 1. For about 5 years she has had perfect symptoms as a woman going into menopause. I'm actually her step mother, so I don't feel I can demand all the info I want to demand from her.

After she has our grandchild, how many months should she wait before having sex hormones checked? And each time I'd ask for her thyroid numbers, she told me her docs said they were "fine." So I will (again) ask for the actual numbers and acceptable ranges for her FT3 & FT4 to see if I think they are fine.

She has felt GREAT during pregnancy - completely the opposite of not being pregnant.
After my first pregnancy is when I believe my thyroid tanked. I had it "checked" by my OB (of course not fully, as I understand NOW) and he said my fatigue was due to having a baby. I knew that was not it, but didn't know what to do so I just dealt with it. After my 3rd baby, I had a church official (pastor you may call her) say I should check my hormones out since I was a bit hormonal (I guess that is the term--again I knew nothing of this stuff back then) . My baby is now 17 years old and if I had only known then what I know now I hope your step daughter is OK after giving birth. And knowing what YOU know about this stuff, you can at least guide her and help her if she isn't Yay for a new baby in the family
Old 09-03-2013, 07:18 AM   #278
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelbyla View Post
One quick question for Tracy - are you still losing hair? If so, have you had an iron panel? For reasons that I'll get into later, iron is key to all of these hormones working properly together. It is FREQUENTLY something that women are deficient in and causes hair loss by the handful. It's also something doctors will almost ALWAYS tell you is "normal" when you need far higher numbers in the "normal" range for everything to work right. If you haven't had one, you need to have...

Serum iron - should be 100+
Iron saturation (%) - should be 35-45%
TIBC (total iron binding capacity) - should be on the low end of normal
UIBC (unbound iron binding capacity) - should be on the low end of normal
Ferritin - measure of stored iron in the blood

Also, as a headsup, you CAN get FREE estradiol tested in a blood test. Often doctors will say that you can't but that is complete BS. They do it all the time and Labcorp will run it. If you do free T and free E by blood it's actually more accurate as saliva can be dicey after you start BHRT. (I'll see if I can dig up some references to that.)
Shelby! I am still losing hair.. alot! But due to chronic inflammation, my PCM sent me to a rheumatologist and she ran alot of tests. I believe my iron was normal but now that you've mentioned it, I will double check that, thanks

WOW on your history with hormones
Sounds like mother nature has been horrible to you!
Old 09-03-2013, 07:22 AM   #279
Senior LCF Member

Quote:

I agree with Dawn. Yay on a new baby! I bet you guys are excited!
I would think it takes a good while to get your hormones balanced after a baby. Maybe a good 6 months? I hope her pregnancy is healthy and the birth a breeze!
Old 09-03-2013, 07:30 AM   #280
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Dawn thank you. We are thrilled. And doubly thrilled because our son's wife is due about 2 weeks after our daughter!
I think I have a great chance of holding a baby in my arms pretty frequently!

My DD has been fatigued for many years, actually. She was looking around on the web and thought she had adrenal fatigue - the first I'd heard of it - but could not find any medical professional to agree or do any testing as far as I could tell.

If we have to, we'll obviously go through labcorp - so glad that exists. That's how I got my own thyroid numbers and found my compounding pharmacy - then my doc through that pharmacy.
Old 09-03-2013, 07:42 AM   #281
Senior LCF Member

So, am I the only one here thats on full blown BIHRT? I would love to hear someone elses experience with their symptoms pre and post treatment..

On looking around at other forums, 10 different women have 10 different views on this It seems we are all so wildely different..
Its only been 2.5 weeks now on the topical Bi-est but I dont see any improvement yet..i cannot wait to start feeling like myself again..
Old 09-03-2013, 08:17 AM   #282

Quote:
Dawn thank you. We are thrilled. And doubly thrilled because our son's wife is due about 2 weeks after our daughter!
I think I have a great chance of holding a baby in my arms pretty frequently!

My DD has been fatigued for many years, actually. She was looking around on the web and thought she had adrenal fatigue - the first I'd heard of it - but could not find any medical professional to agree or do any testing as far as I could tell.

If we have to, we'll obviously go through labcorp - so glad that exists. That's how I got my own thyroid numbers and found my compounding pharmacy - then my doc through that pharmacy.
It IS hard to get someone to listen to us. I thought I was hypothyroid--why not since every female on my mom's side was plagued with the condition--until I saw my DO, who is also an MD. She looked at me, looked at my family history (which I filled out weeks before she EVEN agreed to see me), and said "Adrenal fatigue". It was confirmed through a hair analysis. I went with her diagnosis for a while and then we treated the thyroid. So, yeah I have BTDT. But what helped me was finding a doctor who not only agreed that Adrenal Fatigue is real, but who had it herself! She understood exactly what I was going through and what needed to be done.
dawnyama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 08:18 AM   #283

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracy210T View Post
So, am I the only one here thats on full blown BIHRT? I would love to hear someone elses experience with their symptoms pre and post treatment..

On looking around at other forums, 10 different women have 10 different views on this It seems we are all so wildely different..
Its only been 2.5 weeks now on the topical Bi-est but I dont see any improvement yet..i cannot wait to start feeling like myself again..
Nope. I am too. Going through a hormone clinic right now. I have no news to report because I rescheduled my appointment (was supposed to be this week). Just keeping on keeping on. Trying to read up on hormones in the meantime so I can do it myself next year.
Old 09-03-2013, 08:27 AM   #284
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I am! I do the cream twice/day, rotating sites.
I posted the amount a couple of weeks ago but I can re-post.
Old 09-03-2013, 08:46 AM   #285
Senior LCF Member

Ah.. ok.. i couldnt remember who was being treated for low hormones and who wasnt..

I just realized that I started my last period exactly 4 weeks from today! Thats really good because my periods were starting to become all over the place.. not normal for me but looks like I might be back to a 28 day cycle

Dawn, we have a hormone clinic here, kinda. Its run by a female internist and its all cash out of pocket to see her. I called and they told me they do treat based on symptoms and not just bloodwork. I initially got excited. They wanted $350.00 to take over my hormone treatments from the last doc. That made me crings. I looked her up. She has HORRIBLE reviews. One right behind another online. No thanks!
Old 09-03-2013, 09:27 AM   #286
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: saltnpepper
Stats: 125/106/105 5'
Start Date: long ago restart 06/11
Wow I took a nap and 2 pages added to this thread!!
So glad to have so many who know something.

Quote:
dawnyama Quote:
Shelby is my hormone/thyroid guru. She will be a tremendous asset here. I am so glad she made it here

I too can hardly wait to hear the "rest of the story" from Shelby.

JMCM1 lucky you! 2 grand babies. Hopefully you DD will let you help her. My DD certainly has problems. BUT she does not want any advice. So - you do what you can.

Tracy I am on oral HRT, off and on for 8 yrs or so??? Breast cancer runs in my family, I take it, get scared, go off. Feel worse than ever, go back on. It's a crazy cycle. (No wonder DD doesn't want to talk to me! LOL) Anyway I am very tired and confussed a lot. My dr did blood work, her nurse called and said I basically had no hormones, and low thyroid, low Vit D and Vit B's. So I'm going today to see dr., who just called and she can't be there. So I think I'm seeing a NP. Honestly if she can give me something I don't care. I start a new job tomorrow, and I need to function better. At least remember what they teach me!

GTG
Anna
saltnpepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 10:04 AM   #287
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltnpepper View Post
Tracy I am on oral HRT, off and on for 8 yrs or so??? Breast cancer runs in my family, I take it, get scared, go off. Feel worse than ever, go back on. It's a crazy cycle. (No wonder DD doesn't want to talk to me! LOL) Anyway I am very tired and confussed a lot. My dr did blood work, her nurse called and said I basically had no hormones, and low thyroid, low Vit D and Vit B's. So I'm going today to see dr., who just called and she can't be there. So I think I'm seeing a NP. Honestly if she can give me something I don't care. I start a new job tomorrow, and I need to function better. At least remember what they teach me!

GTG
Anna
oh no.. those oral synthetics are what causes so many problems..do you have a local compounding pharmacy? All you have to do is fax your labs to the pharmacist and they will talk with you to determine what your symptoms are and then mix you up some bioidentical hormones, tailored for you and aimed at what you are lacking.. the oral hormones get mostly lost in the liver.
Hey, keep us updated ok?
Old 09-03-2013, 10:47 AM   #288
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: saltnpepper
Stats: 125/106/105 5'
Start Date: long ago restart 06/11
I'm going to talk about bio pellets. Costly, yes, but I'm really tired.

I want to use it as a tool to gain back my health like Erin did. (I am eating much better, no exercise to speak of.)

You are so right about the regular "one size fits all" HR. I am learning.

Thanks
A
saltnpepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 11:13 AM   #289
Senior LCF Member

thats what we are all here for, to learn off of each other
Old 09-03-2013, 11:45 AM   #290
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Erin57
Stats: 220/150/145 5'9"
WOE: Moderate Carb/IF
Start Date: April 2010
Tracy- I’m sorry that I never answered your questions. I wrote a huge novel and then forgot to post it or it got lost.

I am 56 and started hormone therapy (pellets) at about age 52? I went into menopause at age 45. I went to the clinic that I did on the recommendation of a friend who was using them. I was on Weight Watchers and had already lost about 30-40 lbs. when I started.

My main symptoms at that time were extreme brain fog. And very unpredictable emotions. I was losing my ability to focus on my work. Even complicated procedures that I had implemented in the past I could not follow. And I had created them. I thought that everyone hated me, the world was so unfair, I was fat, ugly and stupid. I was very insecure and small things would make me fly off the handle. I could actually feel the “wasps in my head” when I would get stressed out. I was driving down the road one day and thought “What the heck is wrong with me? I haven’t been like this since I was an insecure teen.” That’s when I made the hormone connection.

I’ve always had perfect blood work, still do. I just gave blood this past weekend and the girl who checked my iron commented on how great it was. Even when I weighted 220 my cholesterol, BP, blood sugars and thyroid panels always came back great. I’ve had just about every test you could have for arthritis, MS, Lupus, vein blockages, nerve damage and bone density. Except for crappy back stuff I’m healthy as a horse. The rheumatologist finally recommended me to a Psychiatrist. I never kept the appointment.

It was the hormone clinic that diagnosed my thyroid issues. I self-diagnosed myself for the insulin resistance. I bought a meter and started checking my blood many times a day to see what raised and lowered it.

I’m like a different person today. I feel healthier and happier and look forward to each day.

Anna- Good luck with your appointment. I hope that you feel confident with the Doctor there. There are some quacks out there but I believe there are some good ones too. I didn’t trust the doctor at the hormone clinic to treat my thyroid. That is another long story. I switched to another doctor and just recently switched to a new family Dr. who has agreed to treat me by my symptoms. He didn’t even know how to write a script for Naturthroid “grains” but is willing to learn.
Erin57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 12:03 PM   #291

Gallery: Bluqq
Stats: at birth weight, lucky for mom she had big hips
Start Date: 11/24/05
I'm on Bhrt!
Bluqq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 12:05 PM   #292

I'm thinking I need tweaking. Sleep us shot, brain is foggy and my moods are twisted
Old 09-03-2013, 01:43 PM   #293
Blabbermouth!!!

(continued from above... )

During high school and college, I never really had a lot of trouble with my weight. I was a bit "bottom heavy" but could easily lose any additional pounds that I gained from pizza or beer or whatnot. High weight was probably around 140 and low weight around 125. For the record, I'm 5'9" with relatively broad shoulders and big hands and feet so NEITHER of those weights looked good on me! Although at the time, I sure thought they did...

At 22, after college and grad school, I moved from farmland Illinois to Los Angeles--a big change but one I adapted to just fine. I continued on birth control pills but found that excess calories tended to put weight on so I started working out and cutting fats out of my diet to keep my weight under 140. Ah, the low-fat craze of the early '90's! I did mostly cardio but also started lifting weights on a regular basis to keep my weight down which was successful for 5 or 6 years. Then unfortunately, I moved in with my boyfriend of 5 years and my weight started skyrocketing--up into the 170's. I managed to get some control through Weight Watchers but the minute I stopped counting points, I would gain everything back and then some--usually from the bottom up. Living with my bf was a bad fit. It wasn't a terrible relationship but it also wasn't a happy one and little did I know it at the time but the resulting stress over the next 5 years threw me into the first stages of adrenal fatigue. Add the stress of a movement into management at work and buying a house to the inevitable breakup and it just got worse.

Shortly after I bought my house, I moved to England for a year for work. While there, I didn't have a lot to do so I decided to give Atkins a try. I started out in the 180's. It was the first time I had done low-carb and it worked beautifully--as it often does the first time around. I had very strange periods during that time (2x per month with no girlies to blame it on!) and was losing hair by the handful. I didn't realize it but low-carb dieting isn't good for thyroid function OR adrenal function. At that point, I wasn't really thinking about anything other than being able to fit into a single digit size. On Atkins, I lost down into the mid-140's and felt great--about my weight. My hair and skin looked terrible, I got really tired very easily, and any deviation from a very strict low carb diet (sugars or starches) sent my weight back up 5 or 6 pounds. When I came back to America and started getting recurring bronchitis every 4 weeks or so, I decided it was really time to see a doctor...

(time for a meeting...to be continued... )
Old 09-03-2013, 01:46 PM   #294
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracy210T View Post

I'm on everything except for progesterone (which I need now). I'll explain everything when I get to that place. Let me know about the iron. Chronic inflammation is almost always adrenal/thyroid related and thyroid is closely tied to iron. UGH! So many things to understand and remember! I'm going to post a hormone cascade chart here. I think it makes sense to have it as a reference.

Here it is... It's only a jpeg with no ads so hopefully ok.

http://drhardy.org/images/11-29-2008...00-58%20PM.jpg

Last edited by shelbyla; 09-03-2013 at 01:51 PM..
Old 09-03-2013, 02:15 PM   #295
Senior LCF Member

Erin- wow, you have come a long way Sounds like you were really dealing with some demons. You sound so much better now.. like you figured out the puzzle. I can only hope the rest of us get there soon! Congrats on your great health!

Blug- i understand that most of us dont get our mix perfect right away and that tweaking numerous times is normal. Id get in to see your doc as soon as you can. Lifes too short to suffer!

Shelby- so glad you are here. You are wise and we need some insight
Yes, I am chronically inflammed and it sucks wrist joints, back, neck, hands hurt.. eyes burn all the time. I really hope BIHRT will calm things down for me. Wow, I cannot imagine you at 180! You look so thin.
I will check on that iron tonight when I get home. Thanks for mentioning that.
So you take estrogen and no progesterone? I thought that is what sets us up for overgrowth of cells (fibroids and or cancer)?
I love progesterone. I felt the relief in literally days. Its the calming hormone.

I dont remember the low fat craze of the 90s (i was born in 76) but I hear about it all the time my 50'ish neighbor struggles with her weight, hormones, thyroid etc and she still buys low fat everything
Old 09-03-2013, 02:53 PM   #296
Blabbermouth!!!

Meeting canceled so on to chapter 3 where it starts to get REALLY interesting...(well, at least to me... )

I went to see an endocrinologist that I selected by calling some offices to see who would take a patient with very vague complaints (tired all the time, hair falling out, constantly getting sick, weight gain, etc.). The doctor I saw did a whole battery of tests which started me at least down one path that needed correcting--vitamin and mineral deficiencies. She must have taken 20 vials of blood but afterwards told me that I was dead low in vitamin D and vitamin B12 and needed immediate correction on those. I'm a bit of a supplement freak anyway so adding a couple more wasn't that big of a deal. She prescribed D3 for me at 100,000iUs (yep, that's not a typo) bimonthly and an intramuscular B12 shot once a month. She also prescribed Synthroid at 25mcg per day stating that she was a very "progressive" doctor who would treat people based on symptoms. Little did I know it but in 2005, she was really one of the few at the time who would. During treatment, my D levels went from a sub-normal 12 to a "normal" 30 in 6 months of supplementation (ref range is 20-150 or so) and my B12 levels came up quickly. But why didn't I feel any better? All of my symptoms remained the same. My doctor did some more blood tests and raised my Synthroid dose to 50mcg but when she did the next blood test I was "hyper" according to her charts. She said, "No wonder you are tired! You've gone hypERthyroid. You need to back down to 25mcg." At the time, I still trusted endos. I never got my labs and I did exactly what the doctor said, when she said it. After taking the 25mcg of Synthroid for 9 months and not seeing any improvements, I decided to stop it entirely. And I NEVER noticed a difference, not in any of my symptoms. I continued to take the vitamin D3 and B12 equivalents but decided if the meds weren't helping me, why bother with them?

What THAT endo didn't catch from the tests that she did was that my vitamin D levels were no where NEAR high enough to help any thyroid problem that I may have had (vitamin D needs to be present in significantly higher levels in the cells for thyroid medication to be utilized), my magnesium levels were EXTREMELY low (also a significant factor in regulating insulin, fat storage, and low energy levels and immune function), and my iron levels were bottom of the range (another big one for thyroid function--it enables conversion of T4 to T3 and is needed for cortisol production). What she didn't even test for--iodine, cortisol, aldosterone, and sexy hormones--also all significantly impact thyroid function or alternately, are impacted BY poor thyroid function. In short, she tried and was probably more open to different ideas than some doctors at the time, but the bottom line was that she didn't give me what I needed (when I remained sick) and flat out refused to prescribe natural dessicated thyroid (Armour) when I asked her about it stating that NDT was notoriously unstable and did not have consistent thyroid hormone levels (which was not true then and isn't true now).

After endo #1, I gave up for another year or so, during which I continued to struggle with my weight, my responsibilities at work, and my personal life, all of which seemed to be going in a downward spiral. I was exhausted and napping from 5pm-8pm after work then from about 9pm to 6:30am. I had horrible brain fog--to the point where what was coming out of my mouth wasn't making sense to me, much less anyone else. I was exercising but finding it harder and harder to recover--sometimes it took days. I was still getting sick a LOT and stayed away from social situations because any germ floating around would inevitably settle on me. I kept gaining and gaining weight despite trying all kinds of diets, including eating meat and eggs ONLY for 4 months, losing 6 pounds, and immediately gaining it back the first time I ate BROCCOLI (for pete's sake!). I kept trying, in all avenues of my life, to sort things out but everything seemed "off"--no reason to be depressed, no reason to be so tired, no reason to be so stressed out, no reason to not be able to lose weight. Just one monumental puzzle.

(TBC...)

Last edited by shelbyla; 09-03-2013 at 02:59 PM..
Old 09-03-2013, 02:57 PM   #297
Blabbermouth!!!

Tracy - on the iron, from STTM...

"In turn, having low iron levels decreases deiodinase activity, i.e. it slows down the conversion of T4 to T3. Biologically, insufficient iron levels may be affecting the first two of three steps of thyroid hormone synthesis by reducing the activity of the enzyme “thyroid peroxidase”, which is dependent on iron. Thyroid peroxidaxe brings about the chemical reactions of adding iodine to tyrosine (amino acid), which then produces T4 and T3. Insufficient iron levels alter and reduces the conversion of T4 to T3, besides binding T3. Additionally, low iron levels can increase circulating concentrations of TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone).

Even worse, good iron levels are needed in the production of cortisol via the adrenal cortex. This study reveals that an iron-containing protein is present in high amounts in the adrenal cortex and is involved in the synthesis of corticosterone. So by having low iron, you can potentially lower your cortisol levels.

Iron, in addition to iodine, selenium and zinc, are essential for normal thyroid hormone metabolism."
Old 09-03-2013, 04:50 PM   #298

How do you find a good doctor? I've been to 3.....first one said my labs were fine, second one said I could use estrogen but she didn't believe in it unless you were in menopause and the third gave me everything .....
Old 09-03-2013, 05:25 PM   #299

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluqq View Post
How do you find a good doctor? I've been to 3.....first one said my labs were fine, second one said I could use estrogen but she didn't believe in it unless you were in menopause and the third gave me everything .....
From what I have heard the Stop the thyroid madness web site has a doctor finder. I used it to find my "good" doctor. She stopped seeing patients (I just got another letter letting me know she is totally done with patients now) and had to find another. Since she started me on Armour I just told my new one that I wanted her to continue it. She did! She was also the one that told me that you should start taking estrogen before you need it because once you become deficient, it is hard to play catch up. She cited studies too. So she is into research.
Old 09-03-2013, 05:39 PM   #300

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnyama View Post
From what I have heard the Stop the thyroid madness web site has a doctor finder. I used it to find my "good" doctor. She stopped seeing patients (I just got another letter letting me know she is totally done with patients now) and had to find another. Since she started me on Armour I just told my new one that I wanted her to continue it. She did! She was also the one that told me that you should start taking estrogen before you need it because once you become deficient, it is hard to play catch up. She cited studies too. So she is into research.
Awesome site!