Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Women's Health
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2012, 02:09 PM   #61
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: helpingrachel
Stats: 167/ 162.4/140 5ft 8
WOE: NK
Wonderful news. I am down 5 lbs and feeling full of energy." Cough,Cough" , the Testosterone is working. KWIM I am feeling lots better and there is a delay with emotional reaction as well. My sleep is ok, but that is because I have had lots of deadlines. I will keep you posted. Yippppeeee!
helpingrachel is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-14-2012, 02:37 PM   #62
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Tracy210T
Stats: 194/163/150
WOE: Atkins, baby!
Thats awesome..
I cant wait for my *coughcough* testosterone to improve.. not that it was off on my saliva testing but when your progest is through the floor, sex aint on your mind.

Keep me posted here ok, and yay on feeling better!
Tracy210T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 03:58 PM   #63
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: beccitn
Sounds like the progesterone cream is starting to work!! Woooohoooo!!!

I found out the NP I previously made the appointment with who's supposed to be good with hormones does blood testing not saliva. I was really disappointed. My PCP is sending my blood estradiol results to an OB to see if they think I should start progesterone. It's frustrating not being able to find someone in the area who really understands the impact of hormones. My PCP suggested starting an antidepressant for my fatigue. Sigh...

My former pharmacist in TN said he'll order the saliva test for me if I can't find anyone here. Thank God for that! At least I'm not totally at a loss. Not as convenient but at least it's an option!!
beccitn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 06:26 AM   #64
Senior LCF Member

Ugh.. id avoid the anti depressants at all costs.. IMO they do more harm than good alot of times..yeah its great if you can retract your claws and stop wanting to maim everyone around but if you gain 40 lbs, cant sleep and cant "finish" with your hubby.. IDK.. is it worth it?
I tried numerous antidepressants when I was younger.. total waste..

Fatigue..how is your multivitamin? Id check GNC for a really good one... alot of the ones on the typical grocery shelves end up mostly in your waste.. very little actually absorb.
I just started a new orange chewable by Centrum that came highly recommended.. we'll see. I struggle with fatigue too.

OK, so ive now been on the progesterone cream 8 nights. The difference im seeing is in my hair, skin and nails, WOW. Im thinking i might try tonight to apply this on my face. Its very soft and silky and absorbs wonderfully. Very light smell..i also just found some Biotin in my cabinet my mom gave me that i forgot about so im back on that.
Otherwise, here is one thing I have noticed on this bio cream. Alcohol does NOT mix! I have drank every night for as long as I can remember.. not a ton, usually 3 glasses of wine or so.. i found myself sleep walking, sleep talking and rearranging things in the house. I am NOT kidding. It actually scared the hell out of me. I dont know what happened, but thats not like me. What would have happened if id grabbed my keys and taken a drive?
So for the last 3 nights, no alcohol. I had nothing but water and then one cup of decalf coffee about 9ish.. then melatonin and V-root about 10:15.. slept like a baby.. no sleep walking.. and scale is being nice to me..I think im taking a nice long sebatical from the alcohol until i see HUGE results.

Im reading "Drinking, a love story" and i cant remember the author right off, but she is a recovering alcoholic and she plainly talks about how alcohol affects every single organ in your body and that it will throw off your hormonal imbalance..
I agree.
Old 10-19-2012, 06:28 AM   #65
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beccitn View Post
My former pharmacist in TN said he'll order the saliva test for me if I can't find anyone here. Thank God for that! At least I'm not totally at a loss. Not as convenient but at least it's an option!!
Huh.. there has to be someone in your area who does the saliva bio testing?
Otherwise, arent you kinda wandering around in the dark, alone with this? Its such a precise testing/ dosing thing..

The blood hormone testing is crap

Also.. my temper has gone from 0 to REGRET in about 20 secs.. not so much now
Old 10-22-2012, 09:12 AM   #66
Senior LCF Member

UPDATE

Bio Identicals and weight loss/ UPDATE
Old 10-24-2012, 11:06 AM   #67
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ~Erin~
Hi Ladies...I happened to have found this thread while googling searching last night, and what a huge relief that I'm not the only one struggling with a hormone imbalance. Long story short, I'm 33 and have been feeling ill for about 5 years. Went from doctor to doctor trying to figure out what was going on until finally I went to an ND (2 weeks ago) to discover I have estrogen dominance. I am currently taking 40 mg of progesterone cream 2 weeks out of the month, vitamins/minerals & licorice to help with my adrenals, and I just started taking DIM to help lower my bad estrogen. I'm currently taking an anti depressant for anxiety, and another one for sleep. I'm just tired of the emotional and physical toll, and ready to start feeling better.

I love seeing the encouraging posts of people who have been successfully treated with this issue!
~Erin~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 01:46 PM   #68
Senior LCF Member

Welcome Erin!
Please share your story and your ups/ downs with us here
Old 10-24-2012, 03:59 PM   #69
Senior LCF Member

Eric and Tracy:

Hi, Glad to have you on board! I am on 3 bio-identical hormones and my daughter is estrogen dominate. She is taking Estrosense which is very similar to DIM. She start progesterone and started her period 1 day into it. We have to wait for her cycle to restart to try it again. Just proves that she is high in estrogen. Do you mind if I ask what fit/minerals you are taking. My daughter is on iron as well as she is anemic from her monthly periods which are terrible. Her face is completely broke out right now, but that makes sense based on her struggle with this issue. Make sure you are supporting your liver if you are taking DIM. Morgan is taking a liver support pill to help metabolize the estrogen leaving her body. Just my 2 cents on this journey.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:34 PM   #70
Junior LCF Member

Hi helpingrachel,

I also have acne as well. Especially the cyst kind along my neck, and chin line. I have read that DIM helps with acne, so I have added it with my regime. I'm also taking a vitamin B complex by Thorne Research, a raw adrenal glandular, and vitex. The mineral supplement is by Thorne Research as well (I got it at my ND's office), and it contains Calcium, Iodine, Magnesium, Zinc, Selenium, and Manganese. Most of these I will probably by some where else at a cheaper price. I will make sure pick up one for the liver.
Old 10-26-2012, 05:50 PM   #71
Senior LCF Member

My doctor said if the liver is supported the estrogen will go! Hope all goes well, we will journey this together!
Old 10-27-2012, 08:40 AM   #72
Senior LCF Member

Exactly.. i did enough research to know that is true.. if the liver is taxed, even a little, it will not be able to clear out excess estrogen.. or cholesterol. Those of you suspecting a hormonal imbalance, have your cholesterol checked. Mine was 191 lately. I dont eat any fried foods and rarely eat red meat.. so go figure.. that tells me that at 36 and healthy, my liver should be able to clear out the estrogen and the cholesterol and its not.. that is why it is so important if you are dealing with this crap and have ruled out any other possibilities that could have caused your imbalance- look at alcohol.. im on 11 days now without any.. feeling good.. weight is moving..im due another cholesterol check in 4 weeks. I'll let you know,

You gals come update me on the other bio ident thread
Old 10-28-2012, 10:52 AM   #73
Junior LCF Member

Hey ladies,

What do you guys use for liver support or detox? Thanks!
Old 10-28-2012, 04:12 PM   #74
Senior LCF Member

Hey Erin, I take Milk Thistle for liver support.
Old 10-28-2012, 04:49 PM   #75
Senior LCF Member

My bottle says Liver Support and has Milk Thistle in it. Hope this helps.
Old 10-29-2012, 02:33 PM   #76
Junior LCF Member

Thanks Ladies...going to pick up some milk thistle!
Old 12-11-2012, 06:05 PM   #77
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: LauraB
Response for Tracy2103 / Biodenticals

Hi Tracy,

I actually registered here just so I could reply to your post. All I can say is I have done a lot of research and I am sold on the benefits of bio-identical hormones. I am just beginning to take them and am very encouraged by the results in just a few weeks.

And really, I do not find this all that expensive. $100 - $200 a couple of times a year for testing is well worth the cost. Some insurance plans will cover the cost. The compounded hormones themselves are very inexpensive. I just paid around $30 bucks for estrogen, maybe another $20 for a tube of bio-identical progesterone. I see a naturopathic practitioner here in California that charges, don't quote me, around $100/hr. Honestly, I spend more in supplements.

I would not approach an MD for hormonal help, unless they were in a practice fully committed to bio-identical hormone replacement. They are misinformed and educated by for-profit pharma. My Mother got breast cancer from PremPro, yet I am fully confident in my decision to use bio-identicals. I suggest finding a good naturopath with good knowledge of hormones and nutrition.

To find a qualified practitioner, and learn to take charge of your own health, I highly recommend the series of books written by Suzanne Sommers (as does my physician, by the way). Start with Ageless, then work your way up. Knockout is also quite helpful. No dumb blonde here, this lady has used her wealth for the benefit of all women, and she has partnered with the best of the best in natural medicine for homones, anti-aging and weight loss. She even provides referrals in her books and via her website. And you have to admit, she looks young and fantastic!

In addition to hormone replacement, you need to be committed to eating correctly and getting regular exercise, which helps with your hormonal balance, stress, body composition. The books help pull it all together in an easier to understand way. This is a complicated subject and therapies need to be individualized.

Hope it helps someone...

Laura
LauraB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:14 PM   #78
Senior LCF Member

I totally agree! Thanks for your input. I LOVE Suzanne Somers.
Im glad you are feeling better and also agree that regular mainstreams MDs just dont have a clue..
Please keep us updated.

Tracy