Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2013, 03:40 PM   #1951
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Arctic_Mama
Stats: 257/145.8/140
WOE: Atkins 2002/Protocol
Start Date: Began losing 10/08. Working off last 20 lbs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sutton_02 View Post
Suzanne, I know you've mentioned it on here before, but what was your carb level when pregnant? Did you do fruit at all, or did you just stick to low carb veggies? What about dark chocolate?

This is a little long, but I need to get this out there . . .

So I started reading this book called When You're Expecting Twins, Triplets, or Quads. It covers several topics, but I was most interested in the nutrition and fitness recommendations. I've always felt mainstream gets it wrong with regards to weight gain and exercise recommendations. They tend to see pregnancy as an illness, telling women to keep their heart rates below a certain level, don't lift over 20lbs, and gain more weight than you really need to. I've known all along I would ignore these silly guidelines, but as soon as I found out it was twins, I feel like I'm questioning all my original plans.

So I got this book and sure enough, it says all the things I did not want to hear - rest as much as possible, eat 3,500 kcal per day, gain 28 pounds by 24 weeks (40-50 pounds total), eat 350g carbs per day. Apparently this is the only way to carry twins to term and have big babies. At first, I felt defeated, but then I decided to return the book and pretend like I never read it.

I mean, sure, I'll need more calories and protein with two babies, but I really don't see why I need to gain more fat just because I'm carrying two. And as far as exercise, I will listen to my body. End of story.

Does anyone think I am being ignorant or naive?
The calories sound about right - it is incredibly challenging to eat enough protein and fat when pregnant to grow healthy, full term twins. It has been done, I know a gal who had twins as her #3/4 and delivered them at 37 weeks and some change, with both kids weighing over 7 pounds each. Carbs aren't as important, but I'd be shooting for 130-150 grams of protein per day, minimum, and plenty of healthy fat.

I ate on plan through most of my pregnancy and that did include dark chocolate, mascarpone, some nuts, etc. I just worked my way up the Atkins rungs, in proper time and order, until I found where I felt best with my energy, cravings, AND food variety. For me that was rung four, with berries, nuts, extra dairy, and alcohol (though I don't drink) being added to the initial food list. I kept my net carbs in the 25-35 gram range almost the entire time and it worked out great

On a pregnancy break with baby #5 until January 2015

Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-2013, 03:44 PM   #1952
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: muncheechee
Stats: 263/259/145
WOE: JUDDD newbie
Start Date: 8/14/14
Hi ladies! Just want to check in with you all again. I've been reading but laying low until our first u/s... which we had today at 6w5d with the re and everything is perfect. Baby is measuring exactly on date and we were able to hear the heart beat of 119 bpm. Such a relief! I've been staying very low carb to control my blood sugar (t2 diabetic) and the diet is going well but my bs, while good, are not ideal. I started on long acting insulin at night to help my a.m. numbers but so far nothing helps. Waiting to hear back from my endo to see what the plan is.

Dinner is here gotta run
Old 04-08-2013, 03:48 PM   #1953
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Is TTAP a good workout? I was looking into it last week, but it's not cheap to get the videos.
It is absolutely incredible. And compared to gym equipment or a membership it is dirt cheap. I was highly skeptical, but my results have been amazing and it is doable even with four () small children at home, all day every day. I think the only reason I am fitting (with belly binding) into my prepregnancy size 10/12 jeans is because I maintained muscle tone with TTAP through the pregnancy.

The time I took a break from it my neck and back hurt more, I was exhausted, my bowels didn't move as well, you name it. But tapping, even to the end of pregnancy (albeit with some modifications and slower motion in torsion movements), was so helpful. My chiropractor was amazing at how limber I was even at 35 weeks. My pelvis was more stable than in any previous pregnancy, too, despite it being more relaxed out than with any prior baby. All my pubic and sacral issues should have been debilitating, but they were entirely manageable due to my muscles stabilizing me when my ligaments no long would.

TTAP is a lifesaver and I'm dedicated to it. Not only is the workout short, effective, and safe for any stage of life - the TTAP site forums are among the sweetest, most encouraging places on the net. They are AWESOME.

To spend $250-ish on ten workout DVDs (there are always sales on Teresa's site, I buy things on sale only!) I use 4-5 days a week for years on end, with multiple inches lost and better health to show for the effort? I can't sing the praises of the system highly enough. And if it works for a sleep deprived, overweight, sometimes-pregnant homeschooling mommy on a budget, it can work for anyone!

/end over zealous plug. TTAP ROCKS!
Old 04-08-2013, 03:49 PM   #1954
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: SouthernCJ
Stats: 146/Pregnant!/129 5'9"
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: December 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by pocahontas View Post
Hi ladies. I'm still here reading your updates but taking a step back to regroup. I have so many things going on, the stress and sadness are overwhelming at times. We have big life changes happening (thinking of moving again) and the struggle with TTC#2 has been too much lately. We wont stop our efforts but I wont lie, its taking a toll. Sounds like you all are doing well and I hope to see more baby pics soon! Suzanne, thanks for the kick in the pants regarding diet. I need it too.
Thanks Andi for your nice comments on the nursery and my baby belly.

It is so hard to read this comment of yours, you are one of my favorite posters and I know you want #2 so bad. I can't even imagine how stressful it would be. My friend and her husband are both young (24/26) and fully healthy (got checked out since she is a nurse) and it took them a YEAR to get pregnant. No reason it wasn't happening they just needed time. I couldn't even imagine. I hope it happens soon for you. My fingers are all crossed.
Old 04-08-2013, 03:51 PM   #1955
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by muncheechee View Post
Hi ladies! Just want to check in with you all again. I've been reading but laying low until our first u/s... which we had today at 6w5d with the re and everything is perfect. Baby is measuring exactly on date and we were able to hear the heart beat of 119 bpm. Such a relief! I've been staying very low carb to control my blood sugar (t2 diabetic) and the diet is going well but my bs, while good, are not ideal. I started on long acting insulin at night to help my a.m. numbers but so far nothing helps. Waiting to hear back from my endo to see what the plan is.

Dinner is here gotta run
Yay! I'm glad all looked great. I hope the insulin helps with the bs management, along with your diet. It sounds like you're doing everything you can to control your health and that's fabulous
Old 04-08-2013, 03:54 PM   #1956
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Hi ladies. I'm still here reading your updates but taking a step back to regroup. I have so many things going on, the stress and sadness are overwhelming at times. We have big life changes happening (thinking of moving again) and the struggle with TTC#2 has been too much lately. We wont stop our efforts but I wont lie, its taking a toll. Sounds like you all are doing well and I hope to see more baby pics soon! Suzanne, thanks for the kick in the pants regarding diet. I need it too.
I'm so sorry you're still struggling, that sounds like a ton of stress to manage . Big hugs and best wishes on both TTC and moving. Don't be a stranger and keep us posted on how both go, yes?
Old 04-08-2013, 03:55 PM   #1957
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happycat21 View Post
Awwwwww, Andi. I am so sorry you are having a hard time.

You asked for baby pics, here are a couple of my boys.

Did I mention that Ethan had to be helmeted due his flat head shape?
Awe! Look at the cuties! They're getting so big
Old 04-08-2013, 03:59 PM   #1958
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernCJ View Post
Here's some nursery pics! I need to get decorations up on the walls still so it is looking pretty plain, but you can see the new paint color, her furniture, and bedding. It's so pretty and girly I can't wait for her to get here. Sorry about the crappy lighting we finished late at night and it was dark out.

30 weeks + 4! Getting bigger!

For the shingles pain they gave me a Lidoderm patch and it is helping a lot right now, so glad DH pushed me to ask for some pain medicine. No antivirals or anything like that, we caught it too late for that to be effective.

I'm thinking spinach salad and a baked sweet potato for dinner. We'll see.

Does anyone else have a terrible time finding greek yogurt with fat in it at the grocery store? Our Kroger was the only place in town I could find it and they haven't had it the last two times I went looking. I bought some fat free stuff and good lord, it is just awful. So gross. I'm thinking I might have to try making my own.
Your nursery looks great! We just shoved the baby in the (pre-used by the first three children) cosleeper in our room and pulled out the (hand-me-down) girl clothes and put them in empty drawers in our daughters' room. No nurseries or decorating for any of our babies . I love the way a coordinated nursery looks, some day I hope we can build our home to include a nursery off our room for nurslings, before they move in with their siblings. I'm a sucker for beautiful decoration and home remodels, I just never have the budget to do them

The pink and brown combo is one of my favorites - and that rocking horse is precious!
Old 04-08-2013, 04:10 PM   #1959
Major LCF Poster!

She is our first and the first grandchild on both sides, the first great grandchild on DH's mom's side. Hence the full closet and well done up nursery, my MIL painted and bought the crib, lots of clothes and gear from my mom. They both have been stocking up on diapers for months, those are all stacked up on the top shelf of her closet. Baby CJ is going to be getting a lot of attention

The rocking horse was a surprise from my in laws when they came to help set up the nursery. My father in law made it for my DH when MIL was pregnant with him. MIL repainted it to match our furniture and redid the mane and tail, and added the pink bow to match Baby CJ's bedding. It has a lot of sentimental value and I just love it. So special
Old 04-08-2013, 04:16 PM   #1960
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Lori37
Stats: 310/215/180
WOE: Modified low carb
Start Date: 6/1/2010
Quote:

Sad news--looks like I have shingles. I have been under a ton of stress lately at work and I guess it just caught up with me. I told my bosses last week that I plan on cutting back to 40 hours a week starting tomorrow. Now I'm thinking it was too little too late.
Oh no! Shingles! YIKES. Hope you're feeling beter quickly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic_Mama View Post
She still tries to go 6-8 hour stretches in the morning and night, but I'm not setting alarms to wake her since she hasn't been showing any deleterious effects from not waking to feed.

She's an extremely mellow baby. Lots of grunting, but hardly ever yells or cries. Naps easily, very chill to hold, easy to put down while awake and drowsy, etc. Some of the ease, I'm sure, comes from knowing what I'm doing (being clueless with my first made things infinitely harder than they needed to be!) but most of it seems to be luck of the draw on easy baby personalities. No complaining from me on that
This sounds like Rose! She would sleep and sleep if I'd let her! At night she would go 6-8 hours as well, but I think we've got a good schedule of about 4-5 hours going on now at night. She rarely yells or cries too, just grunting. Everyone keeps commenting on how quiet and good she is. She really is great! We go to the ped tomorrow to see what her weight is up too.
I hope your LO's latch gets better! That must be hard.
http://lorivsjourneytohealth.blogspot.com/
Old 04-08-2013, 10:10 PM   #1961
Major LCF Poster!

Eh, I didn't like that side much anyway
Old 04-09-2013, 06:55 AM   #1962
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jillybean720
Stats: 324/193/150
WOE: LC/HF
ha, my husband does not cook. At all. I had to teach him how to cook a frozen pizza for himself (as in, how to follow the directions on the box). If I don't cook myself, then it's restaurant food or nothing! Last night's dinner was fried mozzarella sticks from a local Italian place Not sure what lunch holds for me today. I know I have to run to the grocery store anyway, so maybe I'll make myself something from their salad bar.

I asked my daycare provider yesterday if Ben was cooperating for her to spoon-feed him anything since he doesn't like it when I try to spoon-feed him (I know she's been giving him some unsweetened applesauce). She said she turns on the tv to distract them during feeding, and he's fine. I am going to bring this up again this afternoon when I pick him up because I really don't love the idea of my one-year-old watching tv. He doesn't watch tv at home at all; I refuse to even turn on any "kids'" shows. Everything I've read says it's best to hold off on tv until kids are at least 2. I literally cringe at the thought of him "zoning out" to a tv show. I hate that. To combat this, now I need to provide more food for him at daycare so I know he has plenty of finger foods instead of spoon-feeding items. Today I sent him with cheese, green beans, and a mix of red kidney and cannelini beans with olive oil and seasoning.

Which, BTW, THANK YOU for the suggestion of beans! I feel better about feeding him beans (protein, fiber, and can add fat to them) than just straight up fruit all the time.
Quote:
Does anyone else have a terrible time finding greek yogurt with fat in it at the grocery store? Our Kroger was the only place in town I could find it and they haven't had it the last two times I went looking. I bought some fat free stuff and good lord, it is just awful. So gross. I'm thinking I might have to try making my own.
All I can find is a few of the Chobani flavored ones (read: full of sugar) that are 2% instead of fat free. I do have Wegmans nearby that carries full-fat plain Fage, which is what I buy for my son. I don't care for yogurt myself, so I don't eat it (except when I had that stomach bug last week, I did have a few of the 2% fruity ones).
Weight goals currently on hold due to pregnancy...baby #2 coming late October/early November 2013!

Pre-pregnancy #2 weight: 193 (the day I found out I was pregnant)
Old 04-09-2013, 07:02 AM   #1963
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sutton_02
Stats: 5'8" - Currently 172lbs / Goal of 150lbs
WOE: Paleo/Primal
Quote:
Yes, it's ridiculous. The most fat I can find is 1%. The other day I found this stuff at Central Market that had cream in the greek yogurt. It was soooo good.

Your nursery is so cute! If both these babies turn out to be girls, the are going to have the girliest nursery possible.
Old 04-09-2013, 07:09 AM   #1964
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
The calories sound about right - it is incredibly challenging to eat enough protein and fat when pregnant to grow healthy, full term twins. It has been done, I know a gal who had twins as her #3/4 and delivered them at 37 weeks and some change, with both kids weighing over 7 pounds each. Carbs aren't as important, but I'd be shooting for 130-150 grams of protein per day, minimum, and plenty of healthy fat.

I ate on plan through most of my pregnancy and that did include dark chocolate, mascarpone, some nuts, etc. I just worked my way up the Atkins rungs, in proper time and order, until I found where I felt best with my energy, cravings, AND food variety. For me that was rung four, with berries, nuts, extra dairy, and alcohol (though I don't drink) being added to the initial food list. I kept my net carbs in the 25-35 gram range almost the entire time and it worked out great
Thank you for this. I definitely don't have any problems getting enough protein. In fact, when I thought there was only one in there, I thought I might have been eating too much protein. I'm usually anywhere between 150g to 200g. Throughout this first trimester, I've been around 100g of carbs, but starting to today, I'm going to lower that a bit by cutting out fruit and limiting greek yogurt. I appreciate everyone's input!
Old 04-09-2013, 07:13 AM   #1965
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I can't sing the praises of the system highly enough. And if it works for a sleep deprived, overweight, sometimes-pregnant homeschooling mommy on a budget, it can work for anyone!

/end over zealous plug. TTAP ROCKS!
Wow, I'm sold! I hope you're getting paid as their spokeswoman. I may have to make the investment! Thanks again for the good info!
Old 04-09-2013, 07:59 AM   #1966
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Happycat21
Stats: Ugh. Can't use the "new baby" excuse anymore!
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: every day
Quote:
Sharon, your boys are adorable! Love the pic of the 3 of you! How did the D&C go? I was thinking of you.
Thanks, Andi!

Well, as I wished, I was totally "out" for it, so I didn't know what was going on or feel a thing (until afterward when whatever they put in my IV wore off ). What they thought was a polyp was actually not---it was some kind of mass but they weren't sure what. I got a voice mail yesterday from my OB that it was benign so that was good news. I just have a follow up appointment in 2 weeks. Thanks for thinking of me!
Old 04-09-2013, 08:14 AM   #1967
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Awwwwww, Andi. I am so sorry you are having a hard time.

Did I mention that Ethan had to be helmeted due his flat head shape?
HOW did I miss these sweet baby boys! OMG

More pics everyone! I want to see those new baby girls too
Old 04-09-2013, 08:19 AM   #1968
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybean720 View Post
I really don't love the idea of my one-year-old watching tv. He doesn't watch tv at home at all; I refuse to even turn on any "kids'" shows. Everything I've read says it's best to hold off on tv until kids are at least 2. I literally cringe at the thought of him "zoning out" to a tv show. I hate that.
OMG, we are so bad....we DVR Sesame Street and Brandon (17 months) loves it. That so far is the only show he really "zones" out to, and it doesn't even catch his attention all that long. He does like Elmo stuff. It's cute though when he smiles when the "Sunny Days" theme song somes on. We will not however have "Sponge Bob" anything in my house. My rule. No breaking of it. That sponge thing is creepy!!!! And trippy too.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:37 AM   #1969

Gallery: pocahontas
jilly - Glad Ben is enjoying the beans. DS loves them! We have let DS watch Sesame Street since he was about 18 mo old. It is still the only show he will watch. They dont even have a TV at daycare so Im glad about that. DS gets to watch one Sesame Street every evening after dinner and a bath. It works for us. He has learned so much from that show!

Thanks ladies for the support and for the shoulder to cry on. I'll still be around, you arent getting rid of me that easily! I just need to get some stuff sorted out in my head and my heart.

Old 04-09-2013, 09:57 AM   #1970
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Now those are some cute kids! Looks like you've got your work cut out for you.
Old 04-09-2013, 10:02 AM   #1971

Gallery: suzanneyea
Stats: 156/124/120
WOE: Vlc
Jolly,
You need to find a better solution to eating than take out so often. It takes five minutes do cook steak and a salad....
Old 04-09-2013, 11:13 AM   #1972
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jillybean720
Stats: 324/193/150
WOE: LC/HF
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzanneyea View Post
Jolly,
You need to find a better solution to eating than take out so often. It takes five minutes do cook steak and a salad....
If it takes you 5 minutes to cook steak and a salad, you're welcome to come do so for me! It's never that fast in my kitchen.
Old 04-09-2013, 02:54 PM   #1973

Gallery: suzanneyea
Stats: 156/124/120
WOE: Vlc
I just dont want you to get it into the fast food habit...
Old 04-10-2013, 05:36 AM   #1974

Gallery: DisneyPrincess
WOE: Whatever it Takes
Start Date: Time to make this a lifestyle!
I need some help! Stella is just not sleeping well and I'm getting so tired. She's 3 months now and I feel should be sleeping longer than 3 hour stretches. She goes to bed around 8:30-9:00 and is usually up about 12am, 3, 5, 6:30, 7:30 and then up for good around 8am. I've tried dream feeds at like 10pm and it sometimes gets me an extra hour, but usually just ends up waking her and taking another 30minutes to get her settled again. I've tried breast AND formula in the middle of the night. I've tried leaving her but she screams and I'm afraid she is going to wake my son. Any advice or suggestions? I'd even take 4 hour stretches over this!!
Current 12/7: 98.0
Goal: healtHy and fit
Old 04-10-2013, 08:08 AM   #1975
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Oh, DP, I feel your pain.....I remember Ethan had his days and nights mixed up for a very long time. It didn't start getting better until he turned around 4 months. Right around the time he started daycare coincidentally. What do you do during the day? Do you feed her on regular intervals? Does she take long naps? Do you wake her to feed her during the day?
Old 04-10-2013, 10:01 AM   #1976
Senior LCF Member

The carbs are coming down. Yesterday, net carbs were 65g, which came from kombucha, dark chocolate (80%), veggies, and almonds. Once this bar of chocolate is gone, I'm not buying anymore . . . for a while. Besides, chocolate doesn't seem to taste as good as it did pre-pregnancy. I've also been addicted to kombucha lately, which has 7g of carbs per cup. So I will be limiting this as well. Besides, that stuff is over $3 a bottle! If anything, I need to start making my own.

So, I am checking out this OB practice here in Austin, which is focused on natural birth, and even has midwives on staff. Before you can schedule your first appointment, you must attend an "info session." I figured it would be info specific to how that practice runs business. No. It was a complete waste of time. Don't eat too much tuna. Don't eat raw foods. Keep exercising. It was basically Pregnancy 101. Really? Just smile and nod, Sutton, smile and nod.
Old 04-10-2013, 11:02 AM   #1977

Quote:
The carbs are coming down. Yesterday, net carbs were 65g, which came from kombucha, dark chocolate (80%), veggies, and almonds. Once this bar of chocolate is gone, I'm not buying anymore . . . for a while. Besides, chocolate doesn't seem to taste as good as it did pre-pregnancy. I've also been addicted to kombucha lately, which has 7g of carbs per cup. So I will be limiting this as well. Besides, that stuff is over $3 a bottle! If anything, I need to start making my own.

So, I am checking out this OB practice here in Austin, which is focused on natural birth, and even has midwives on staff. Before you can schedule your first appointment, you must attend an "info session." I figured it would be info specific to how that practice runs business. No. It was a complete waste of time. Don't eat too much tuna. Don't eat raw foods. Keep exercising. It was basically Pregnancy 101. Really? Just smile and nod, Sutton, smile and nod.
Good job working on getting those carbs down! I need to hop on that as well!

Yes, smile and nod.
Old 04-10-2013, 11:08 AM   #1978

Rose had her two week check up yesterday. Her birth weight was 8p7oz, and she's up to 9p9oz! I guess we are doing good with the breast feeding!
She wakes up twice at night to feed, once around 1-2am and then again around 5am, only problem is she never wants to go back to bed after her 5am feed! I was up with her til 8am this morning. Almost gave up and just stayed up, but I really needed a little more sleep. Ended up sleeping til 10am, and an hour later she's still snoozing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg roseeyes.jpg (29.6 KB, 17 views)
Old 04-10-2013, 11:15 AM   #1979
Major LCF Poster!

Good girl Rose! Keep gaining weight! I just cannot get over all her hair, she is just too cute. Expect a big baldy when Baby CJ gets here, I don't think there's a single baby in our family who was born with hair

I always have to have something super quick and easy in the house if I want to stay on low carb, hence my issue with the greek yogurt (used to be my go to quick snack). I should probably snack up on some other easy stuff, I'm thinking cheese sticks, hard boiled eggs, stuff like that. Suggestions welcome on stuff that is easy to grab with a baby in the house!
Old 04-10-2013, 11:17 AM   #1980

Quote:
Good girl Rose! Keep gaining weight! I just cannot get over all her hair, she is just too cute. Expect a big baldy when Baby CJ gets here, I don't think there's a single baby in our family who was born with hair

I always have to have something super quick and easy in the house if I want to stay on low carb, hence my issue with the greek yogurt (used to be my go to quick snack). I should probably snack up on some other easy stuff, I'm thinking cheese sticks, hard boiled eggs, stuff like that. Suggestions welcome on stuff that is easy to grab with a baby in the house!
We were both born with full heads of hair, and hubby is hairy even now. He's German Irish after all! Nothing wrong with a bald baby!

I need to boil some eggs! Really struggling with low carb snacks myself.
Closed Thread