Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2013, 10:52 AM   #1921
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: suzanneyea
Stats: 156/124/120
WOE: Vlc
I fell off plan for a few days in my first trimester. Like you guys, meat was gross and bagels looked amazing. But, I quickly remembered that lc is for my health and the health of my unborn baby. So, as tough as it was, I got back on plan and struggled through it. If I can , any of you can too.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-2013, 12:56 PM   #1922

Gallery: DisneyPrincess
WOE: Whatever it Takes
Start Date: Time to make this a lifestyle!
Kyle has gone through a few brief phases jilly. I hope Ben sleeps for you soon. Glad you are feeling better

How'd it go today sutton? I've watched twins daily since they were 6 months old (they are 2 1/2 now) and I loved it! I was always happy to send them home at the end of the day

Stella will be 3 months on Friday. She's doing very good in her crib. It's kind of sad to me..she was ready before I was to have her out of our room

Well we found out big news today. We will be moving out of NC to Ohio! We know no one or nothing there but dh got promoted and is needed. The plus is that we will only be 6 hours from our hometown as opposed to 14. We move in about 4-6 weeks! Yikes
Current 12/7: 98.0
Goal: healtHy and fit
Old 04-03-2013, 03:01 PM   #1923

I went to college in Delaware, Ohio. I liked it a lot there.
Old 04-04-2013, 05:39 AM   #1924

I'm sure we will grow to like it..the weather will take some getting used to. And I'm going to miss living on the beach!
Old 04-04-2013, 06:21 AM   #1925
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: SouthernCJ
Stats: 146/Pregnant!/129 5'9"
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: December 2009
Can't remember who asked--I stayed moderate carb throughout this pregnancy but I have fallen off the wagon a lot. For awhile I couldn't stay away from regular soda (ew!) and drank about once a day. After some going over my diet, I realized I wasn't eating nearly enough calories and (I think) it was making me really crave the quick energy of sugar/caffeine. I eat about 1 or 2 servings of bread a day, but I climbed the rungs to get there so that is just regular maintenence for me. I eat a banana every day too, seems to help with my leg cramps a lot. Lots of nuts for snacks. I try to get my "extra" pregnancy calories from greek yogurt or orange juice w/extra calcium. I'm 5'9" and at 30 weeks weigh about 165.
Old 04-04-2013, 07:28 AM   #1926
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sutton_02
Stats: 5'8" - Currently 172lbs / Goal of 150lbs
WOE: Paleo/Primal
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzanneyea View Post
I fell off plan for a few days in my first trimester. Like you guys, meat was gross and bagels looked amazing. But, I quickly remembered that lc is for my health and the health of my unborn baby. So, as tough as it was, I got back on plan and struggled through it. If I can , any of you can too.
I really like your attitude and resolution. You are definitely a great source of motivation for me to stick to low carb. No excuses!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyPrincess View Post
How'd it go today sutton? I've watched twins daily since they were 6 months old (they are 2 1/2 now) and I loved it! I was always happy to send them home at the end of the day
Well, other than an energy slump in the afternoon, my day was pretty good. I had plans to hit the gym for some weights, but just knew I did not have enough energy to get a good workout, so I hopped on the elliptical for 25 minutes to at least get some blood pumping (it was nasty outside, so I couldn't walk the dog). I barely even broke a sweat, but it was better than plopping my butt on the couch.

I'll bet it has been fun watching twins, especially since you got to send them home every day! I am most fearing the first six months and being a walking zombie milk factory. I sleep. But I'm sure those first six months will fly by.

So, last night I dreamed I went to my cousins wedding and there were like a bazillion different southern desserts and I was just going hog wild. I was so disappointed in myself, but relieved when I woke up and realized it was just a dream.

Last edited by sutton_02; 04-04-2013 at 07:30 AM..
Old 04-04-2013, 10:05 AM   #1927

I actually had the twins on a nice schedule and they napped at the same time so at least I got a break! It's a lot of fun though, but now that they are over 2 they are just 2 different kids...you would never know they were twins except that they are really kind to each other
Old 04-04-2013, 02:25 PM   #1928
Senior LCF Member

My aunt has 18 month old twins and she has been militant from day 0 with keeping them on schedule. Seems like with two it's the only way.
Old 04-04-2013, 02:26 PM   #1929
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jillybean720
Stats: 324/193/150
WOE: LC/HF
Whew, I have about 3 minutes to check in here while Ben eats his turkey and broccoli :P

I think we've decided his issue is with teething. He already has 8 teeth broken through and never had teething issues before, so I'm thinking molars may be to blame. He's just super fussy and clingy, and it's so challenging to get him to crack a smile let alone actually laugh. Poor kid. The Hyland's teething tabs don't seem to help him, and I hate giving him Motrin all the time, but I also hate him being in pain. I am okay with Motrin in his evening bottle to help him sleep, but daycare wants to give him some during the day, too, and I don't blame her - he's so miserable! I'm going to bring her a bottle tomorrow so she can give it to him there, too.

Meanwhile, I'm just being completely stupid about eating. Eat junk, feel like crap, yet eat more junk...work took us out for lunch today since we moved our office yesterday afternoon/this morning, so lots of manual labor (though I mostly just did packing and unpacking of stuff from boxes while the guys did all the actual heavy lifting). I got a grilled chicken sandwich and couldn't even finish it before I started feeling gross. I've been off track ever since Ben's birthday, so 2 weeks now. Bleh.
Weight goals currently on hold due to pregnancy...baby #2 coming late October/early November 2013!

Pre-pregnancy #2 weight: 193 (the day I found out I was pregnant)
Old 04-05-2013, 11:06 PM   #1930

Gallery: Lori37
Stats: 310/215/180
WOE: Modified low carb
Start Date: 6/1/2010
Jilly have u tried an amber necklace for teething? I know a lot of mommies swear by them!
Old 04-06-2013, 08:48 AM   #1931

Ok moms, no more eating off plan! We need to healthy for our kids, if not for ourselves. I totally understand how tempting the junk is, but is just cannot be an option. Lets live long healthy lives for our children and one day for our grand kids.
Old 04-06-2013, 10:34 AM   #1932

Gallery: Lori37
Stats: 310/215/180
WOE: Modified low carb
Start Date: 6/1/2010
I'm going to start Paleo/primal eating, I had 2 weeks off since the birth to eat some much missed foods, now it's time to get on track.
Old 04-06-2013, 03:48 PM   #1933
KQT

Gallery: KQT
Stats: 203/post-baby/175
I like Suzanne's kick in the tush.
Old 04-07-2013, 11:13 AM   #1934
Major LCF Poster!

I need a kick in the tush. I have been doing great but keep giving in to get this-skittles. I didn't even like skittles before I got pregnant. I probably eat one or two bags a week. My weight loss has been on target but I'm thinking I really need to slow my roll on it. Plus it's better for me and baby to eat healthy foods.

Sad news--looks like I have shingles. I have been under a ton of stress lately at work and I guess it just caught up with me. I told my bosses last week that I plan on cutting back to 40 hours a week starting tomorrow. Now I'm thinking it was too little too late.
Old 04-07-2013, 03:09 PM   #1935
Senior LCF Member

I think one of my major dietary issues right now is actually water. Being dehydrated can cause food aversions, so add that to being pregnant, and here I am. I am always feeling thirsty, which is bad, but I can only handle about 2-3 sips of water before I start feeling nauseous/gross. I'm currently lucky to get in a about a liter of water a day, which is definitely insufficient.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernCJ View Post
Sad news--looks like I have shingles. I have been under a ton of stress lately at work and I guess it just caught up with me. I told my bosses last week that I plan on cutting back to 40 hours a week starting tomorrow. Now I'm thinking it was too little too late.
Ugh, I feel your pain - literally! I had shingles a few years ago. Since it's pretty highly contagious to children, those who haven't had chicken pox before, and especially pregnant women, I actually ended up working from home for about a MONTH until it finally went away. My main patch of blisters was right sort of between my right breast and armpit, so I couldn't even wear a bra. I was so afraid of contaminating people that I was basically housebound for the whole month. And in pain. It was miserable. I'm so sorry it's happening to you!
Old 04-08-2013, 07:11 AM   #1936
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ceecee08
Stats: 292.6/284.7/170 5'9
Start Date: Restart 1/4/2013
Suzanne!!! I needed that girl. My workout routine and LC eating has resumed today. I have to keep thinking this is for my health and my baby

I am trying to keep my weight DOWN as well. High 280's if all possible and maybe lower.
Old 04-08-2013, 08:41 AM   #1937
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybean720 View Post
I think one of my major dietary issues right now is actually water. Being dehydrated can cause food aversions, so add that to being pregnant, and here I am. I am always feeling thirsty, which is bad, but I can only handle about 2-3 sips of water before I start feeling nauseous/gross. I'm currently lucky to get in a about a liter of water a day, which is definitely insufficient.

Ugh, I feel your pain - literally! I had shingles a few years ago. Since it's pretty highly contagious to children, those who haven't had chicken pox before, and especially pregnant women, I actually ended up working from home for about a MONTH until it finally went away. My main patch of blisters was right sort of between my right breast and armpit, so I couldn't even wear a bra. I was so afraid of contaminating people that I was basically housebound for the whole month. And in pain. It was miserable. I'm so sorry it's happening to you!
I am miserable. Its not the rash so much as I think I have nerve pain. It feels like I've been in a car accident or something. What a mess.
Old 04-08-2013, 10:27 AM   #1938
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I am miserable. Its not the rash so much as I think I have nerve pain. It feels like I've been in a car accident or something. What a mess.
Yup. The actually spots only hurt if something touched them (hence the braless month), but there's just these sharp nerve pains that you can't quite pinpoint or do anything to relieve. Are you able to take anything? I can't imagine going through it while pregnant. I know they put me on an anti-herpes drug (shingles is caused by a similar virus as herpes, apparently), but they never gave me anything for the pain.
Old 04-08-2013, 10:45 AM   #1939

Let's keep the motivation to eat healthy going! I know the cravings are killer and the candy looks solo good. But, if we eat sweets or get GD, we are increasing the chances of our children having weight problems.
Old 04-08-2013, 11:51 AM   #1940
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Arctic_Mama
Stats: 257/145.8/140
WOE: Atkins 2002/Protocol
Start Date: Began losing 10/08. Working off last 20 lbs.
Quote:
I need a kick in the tush. I have been doing great but keep giving in to get this-skittles. I didn't even like skittles before I got pregnant. I probably eat one or two bags a week. My weight loss has been on target but I'm thinking I really need to slow my roll on it. Plus it's better for me and baby to eat healthy foods.

Shingles SUCK! I got them from stress of a dietary change, of all things, about eighteen months ago. It was horrifically painful. I have a whole new level of sympathy for the elderly folks who get this recurrently

Feel better, CJ, and don't let those skittles win!
Old 04-08-2013, 11:53 AM   #1941
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybean720 View Post

It's not ideal, but to beat dehydration when I'm sick of the flavor of water I'll use lemon juice and stevia, tea powder (watch the carbs on these two!), Mio flavors, you name it. I just flavor the heck out of it. I'm drinking over a gallon a day right now with nursing and hitting some issues again with that, so I have an almond milk tea in one bottle and water in the other, alternating sips
Old 04-08-2013, 12:13 PM   #1942
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzanneyea View Post
Let's keep the motivation to eat healthy going! I know the cravings are killer and the candy looks solo good. But, if we eat sweets or get GD, we are increasing the chances of our children having weight problems.
Amen Suz! The several months of increasing starch during pregnancy were the worst I felt the whole pregnancy. While I thought the rice and oatmeal would make my stomach feel better, it actually compounded the nausea issue by adding in exhaustion (carb coma) and headaches to the food aversions. Boo!

I greatly enjoyed ice cream cake and Japanese right after Holly was born, but two days of relaxed eating was more than enough and did indeed make it harder to get back on track than if I'd never indulged. I'm glad I scratched that itch and am good for another few years, I think

General updates:
My issue now is eating the house down. I'm not eating off plan foods, but it's a struggle not to eat 500 or 1000 calories over my allotted amount (which is sufficient for right now). I've brought it back under control partially by limiting my food list a bit and laying off things like nuts and cheese, but some has just been meal planning and white knuckling. It's getting better though!

I was at 174.6 today, which is eleven-ish pounds about my prepregnancy weight. Not bad for two weeks and some change! It does look like getting off the rest of the weight will be hard work, since I don't have swelling anymore. So I have extra motivation to be diligent with my diet.

Exercise is still a no-go. I tried some TTAP that is supposed to be helpful for closing up the abs and it felt fine, but it caused my bleeding to go from scant to quite heavy, so I'm thinking it was just too deep of muscular contractions for my current level of healing. I feel great and have been making myself slow down because I know that I'm still needing to be more horizontal than vertical, but it's hard. I don't know if it is my supplements or what, but my energy is excellent.

Holly is gaining very well - at her two week appt they wanted her at her birth weight and she was eight ounces over that Nursing stinks, her latch is terrible on one of my breasts and it seems I just have to wait for her to grow out of it. I was concerned she wasn't gaining well because she sleeps extremely long stretches and nursing quickly and with a lazy latch, but the scale assuaged my fears and I'm much less concerned about all her sleeping now. She still tries to go 6-8 hour stretches in the morning and night, but I'm not setting alarms to wake her since she hasn't been showing any deleterious effects from not waking to feed.

She's an extremely mellow baby. Lots of grunting, but hardly ever yells or cries. Naps easily, very chill to hold, easy to put down while awake and drowsy, etc. Some of the ease, I'm sure, comes from knowing what I'm doing (being clueless with my first made things infinitely harder than they needed to be!) but most of it seems to be luck of the draw on easy baby personalities. No complaining from me on that

On a pregnancy break with baby #5 until January 2015

Last edited by Arctic_Mama; 04-08-2013 at 12:22 PM..
Old 04-08-2013, 12:29 PM   #1943
Senior LCF Member

Suzanne, I know you've mentioned it on here before, but what was your carb level when pregnant? Did you do fruit at all, or did you just stick to low carb veggies? What about dark chocolate?

This is a little long, but I need to get this out there . . .

So I started reading this book called When You're Expecting Twins, Triplets, or Quads. It covers several topics, but I was most interested in the nutrition and fitness recommendations. I've always felt mainstream gets it wrong with regards to weight gain and exercise recommendations. They tend to see pregnancy as an illness, telling women to keep their heart rates below a certain level, don't lift over 20lbs, and gain more weight than you really need to. I've known all along I would ignore these silly guidelines, but as soon as I found out it was twins, I feel like I'm questioning all my original plans.

So I got this book and sure enough, it says all the things I did not want to hear - rest as much as possible, eat 3,500 kcal per day, gain 28 pounds by 24 weeks (40-50 pounds total), eat 350g carbs per day. Apparently this is the only way to carry twins to term and have big babies. At first, I felt defeated, but then I decided to return the book and pretend like I never read it.

I mean, sure, I'll need more calories and protein with two babies, but I really don't see why I need to gain more fat just because I'm carrying two. And as far as exercise, I will listen to my body. End of story.

Does anyone think I am being ignorant or naive?
Old 04-08-2013, 12:58 PM   #1944
Senior LCF Member

I certainly don't have an issue with candy. Not even close. In fact, on the off occasions I've tried to "treat" myself to a piece of Easter candy or something, it really just doesn't even taste good. Reese's peanut butter cups used to be my absolute favorite, but we have a few sitting in an Easter basket from family that have been sitting untouched.

My issue is more things like...my office ordered pizza for lunch today. They only ordered 3 pizzas for 10 people (all men except for me), so there wasn't enough for me to have only the cheese off the top and be satisfied because I only managed to nab 2 slices.

When I get home after work, I don't want to cook. I make dinner for Ben, but for us, we've been ordering or getting pick-up. I still can't stomach any veggies. Even making them for Ben makes my stomach quite unhappy. It's all quite frustrating. When I was pregnant with Ben, I just muddled through and stuck to what I knew I should be eating, but I CAN NOT afford to be feeling gross now that I also have a one-year-old to keep up with. Unlike my first pregnancy, I do not have the luxury of daily naps, being able to go out to eat all the time, or even be able to get 20 minutes in the kitchen to cook something. It's a whole new ball game.

As for beverages, I have discovered that I prefer room temp water as opposed to cold, so that's slightly helpful. I won't do artificial sweeteners while pregnant, so no Mio or anything like that.

I may have to consider loosening my dietary grip on things like cold lunch meat. I was avoiding them for the risk of listeria, but if it's something I can eat that is better as far as macronutrients, then I may have to re-weigh the risks/benefits :/ I had a 6" Subway sub last night and ripped the bread off as I went, and that sat pretty well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sutton_02 View Post
Does anyone think I am being ignorant or naive?
Not at all. Two babies need the same things one baby needs - fat, protein, and nutrition. No one, regardless of 0, 1, 2, or 10 babies in utero, NEEDS dietary carbohydrates. Small babies are not necessarily unhealthy babies. In fact, the average size of babies has increased in recent years, and what is now considered normal or average was once considered quite large.
Old 04-08-2013, 01:34 PM   #1945

I was zero carb prior to my pregnancy, but could not maintain that. Meat was totally gross to me. I did not eat fruit, too much sugar for me. I ate deli meats with mayo, not ideal, but many days it was all that I could keep down. I also did have tuna and mayo, I know that is a no no, but again..I did the best I could. I ate a lot of eggs with onions and tomatoes. Bacon, although it made me so bloated it was painful. I also ate a lot of ground beef with all the fat drained and salsa.
Now, I could not cook meat and look at raw meat, it made me puke. So, I worked hard to stay on plan. I had my husband cook things for me. I planned ahead.
I also ate a lot of dried salami and artichokes. I only drank water, despite dreaming about a coke. I would have killed for a soda.
I would guess my carbs were under 20 a day.
Old 04-08-2013, 01:39 PM   #1946

Gallery: pocahontas
Hi ladies. I'm still here reading your updates but taking a step back to regroup. I have so many things going on, the stress and sadness are overwhelming at times. We have big life changes happening (thinking of moving again) and the struggle with TTC#2 has been too much lately. We wont stop our efforts but I wont lie, its taking a toll. Sounds like you all are doing well and I hope to see more baby pics soon! Suzanne, thanks for the kick in the pants regarding diet. I need it too.
Old 04-08-2013, 01:45 PM   #1947
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic_Mama View Post
I tried some TTAP
Is TTAP a good workout? I was looking into it last week, but it's not cheap to get the videos.
Old 04-08-2013, 02:58 PM   #1948
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Happycat21
Stats: Ugh. Can't use the "new baby" excuse anymore!
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: every day
Awwwwww, Andi. I am so sorry you are having a hard time.

You asked for baby pics, here are a couple of my boys.

Did I mention that Ethan had to be helmeted due his flat head shape?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 857967_10151292672071581_655917616_o.jpg (44.7 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg 857737_10151509908003156_2019844793_o.jpg (45.5 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 857368_10151509912418156_846815652_o.jpg (37.8 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg 20130228_074055_resized_1.jpg (28.0 KB, 15 views)
Old 04-08-2013, 03:02 PM   #1949
Major LCF Poster!

Here's some nursery pics! I need to get decorations up on the walls still so it is looking pretty plain, but you can see the new paint color, her furniture, and bedding. It's so pretty and girly I can't wait for her to get here. Sorry about the crappy lighting we finished late at night and it was dark out.

30 weeks + 4! Getting bigger!

For the shingles pain they gave me a Lidoderm patch and it is helping a lot right now, so glad DH pushed me to ask for some pain medicine. No antivirals or anything like that, we caught it too late for that to be effective.

I'm thinking spinach salad and a baked sweet potato for dinner. We'll see.

Does anyone else have a terrible time finding greek yogurt with fat in it at the grocery store? Our Kroger was the only place in town I could find it and they haven't had it the last two times I went looking. I bought some fat free stuff and good lord, it is just awful. So gross. I'm thinking I might have to try making my own.
Old 04-08-2013, 03:35 PM   #1950

Gallery: pocahontas
Sharon, your boys are adorable! Love the pic of the 3 of you! How did the D&C go? I was thinking of you.

CJ - Arent you just the cutest thing! Love the nursery and look at that wardrobe she already has!!! I can only find the full fat at the natural market or Trader Joe's carries their own brand of it. I much prefer the Fage at the natural market but will buy the TJ's in a pinch. I dont eat it often but I go through my phases.

Last edited by pocahontas; 04-08-2013 at 03:36 PM..
Closed Thread