Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Women's Health
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2013, 06:50 AM   #1801
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: DisneyPrincess
WOE: Whatever it Takes
Start Date: Time to make this a lifestyle!
Yes, it's the copper non hormonal and lasts 10 years. I had it after I had my son and loved it. I was on the pill for years and the hormones were terrible!

Good luck with the party!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-2013, 08:47 AM   #1802

Gallery: Lori37
Stats: 310/215/180
WOE: Modified low carb
Start Date: 6/1/2010
Another reason to limit your babies carb intake.
High-carb intake in infancy has lifelong effects, study finds
Old 03-20-2013, 12:34 PM   #1803
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ceecee08
Stats: 292.6/284.7/170 5'9
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Restart 1/4/2013
Good Evening Ladies

Well I had two BFP from at home test. No wonder I wasn't losing any weight eating LC. Dr's visit is tomorrow to confirm. Anywhoo, I have been reading your stories on staying LC while preggo. I love the idea, however my fiance is not happy about it. He wants me to eat whole grains ect? What should I do? I am already overweight and do not want to gain any unwanted weight and also want the best symptom free pregnancy that I can have. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 03-20-2013, 12:46 PM   #1804

Gallery: pocahontas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceecee08 View Post
Good Evening Ladies

Well I had two BFP from at home test. No wonder I wasn't losing any weight eating LC. Dr's visit is tomorrow to confirm. Anywhoo, I have been reading your stories on staying LC while preggo. I love the idea, however my fiance is not happy about it. He wants me to eat whole grains ect? What should I do? I am already overweight and do not want to gain any unwanted weight and also want the best symptom free pregnancy that I can have. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Congrats!

Its a very personal decision but several here have stayed LC. You can read back through our posts. I stayed LC with my first pregnancy, I added only an occasional cup of steel cut oats and some fruit and I only gained 12 lbs and kept my blood sugars under control. That is the most important thing!
Old 03-20-2013, 02:58 PM   #1805
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: muncheechee
Stats: 261/235/145 (5'6")
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 8/14/14
Hi ladies! I appreciate that a few of you shared your experiences with having a lc pregnancy in my other post and I'd love to join your group here. I just found out I'm pregnant with my second child. It hardly seems real especially since it took 18 months and fertility meds to get this little one. We were one cycle away from ivf and I had resigned myself to that path by the time I saw the faintest of lines on the hpt. Going in for my second hcg beta tomorrow. My first beta was really low but my pregnancy tests were super faint too...this morning's test was quite dark though so I'm feeling more confident.

I've been a low carber off and on for years but really committed last February when I found out I was too heavy for the anesthesia requirements for ivf at the fertility clinic. I lost 20 pounds but fortunately got this bfp instead. I'm a type 2 diabetic so it will be especially important for me to stay low carb throughout pregnancy. When preggo with my son I ate whatever I wanted then took insulin to compensate. I ended up taking a ton of insulin and was over 300 pounds when I delivered..Ugh! I'll likely have to use insulin again this pregnancy but I'd love to continue to manage my blood sugar with diet alone for as long as possible and only rely on insulin to help my fasting numbers.

Anyway, that's me. Looking forward to getting to know you all

Last edited by muncheechee; 03-20-2013 at 03:00 PM..
Old 03-20-2013, 03:55 PM   #1806

Gallery: suzanneyea
Stats: 156/124/120
WOE: Vlc
I stayed low carb and I have a few friends who stayed zero carb while pregnant. Does your fiance have a long history studying nutrition? I am betting you have done a lot more reading on food and health than he has.
Old 03-20-2013, 10:21 PM   #1807

You don't need the carbs, but if you decide to have some, try to get them from small amounts of fruit, at least then you'll be getting some healthy nutrition with the carbs. There's not really anything in whole wheat that we need.

I've stayed diet controlled with my gestational diabetes, and I get my carbs from nuts and maybe some corn, corn tortillas and an occasional bite of fruit.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:44 AM   #1808
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jillybean720
Stats: 324/193/150
WOE: LC/HF
Great to see some new face - welcome, muncheechee and ceecee!

I second what Lori said - there is nothing in grains like wheat that we need and, in fact, the phytates in wheat can serve to block the absorption of nutrients like iron. So many women struggle with iron deficient anemia during pregnancy as it is.

I find people are more accepting if you don't say you're eating low-carb. Instead, say you're eating healthy by focusing on veggies, meats, eggs, nuts, a little fruit, etc. Even though it's the same thing, it doesn't have the negative associations many seem to have with the term "low-carb."

I stayed low carb for the first half of my first pregnancy. I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes when I was 25 (I'm now 30), but it has been diet-controlled/in remission since I had my weight loss surgery at 26. But still, I was so scared it would become an issue during pregnancy that I am very careful about what I consume.

I'm now about 7 weeks pregnant with my second and have been low carb for the past 2-3 weeks. It's not always easy, that's for sure. What I WANT is a gooey grilled cheese sandwich and a big bowl of creamy tomato soup. Instead, I am just eating basically meats, cheeses, and nuts. I have a pregnancy aversion to veggies other than lettuce, spinach, onion, and cucumber in salad form. For a big "splurge," I occasionally have fruit (like yesterday, my lunch came with a side salad of spinach, pecans, strawberries, mango, and dried cranberries), but that's not every day (more like once or twice a week, if that).

I am working on some interesting alternatives. I make peanut butter and jelly sandwiches using Smucker's "lower sugar" fruit spread (no Splenda - I'm also avoiding artificial sweeteners while pregnant) on a coconut flour bread I made. I bought something called "bread cheese" to try (despite the name, it is all cheese, no bread, but has a more bread-like than cheesy texture), but I haven't tried it yet. I'm having almond flour and coconut flour cupcakes for my son's birthday party this weekend. I don't drink coffee or tea, but I've been freezing in my office, so I sometimes drink a mug of hot chicken broth.

How are you both feeling so far? I seem to have turned a corner appetite-wise just within the last day or two, but before that, I would take 2-3 bites of something and know the next bite would be a bad idea! It's made it tough to eat much, and not being able to stomach cooked veggies has really impacted my usual variety.
Weight goals currently on hold due to pregnancy...baby #2 coming late October/early November 2013!

Pre-pregnancy #2 weight: 193 (the day I found out I was pregnant)
Old 03-21-2013, 10:58 AM   #1809

Jilly are you doing Stevia? Smuckers has a jelly spread now with stevia, that's the one I use. So happy to not have to choose between sugar, aspartame and splenda.
Old 03-21-2013, 11:21 AM   #1810

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori37 View Post
Jilly are you doing Stevia? Smuckers has a jelly spread now with stevia, that's the one I use. So happy to not have to choose between sugar, aspartame and splenda.
Good to know! I use Stevia or Truvia at home but I do have the occasional Splenda sweetened thing. I hate AS too but its hard to avoid it completely.

ETA: Lori - I keep watching for you to say you are in labor! LOL!
Old 03-21-2013, 11:39 AM   #1811
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jillybean720
Stats: 324/193/150
If I MUST use something, I'll use a little stevia, but I sort of try to avoid it as well since it hasn't been thoroughly studied, and I remember reading an article during my first pregnancy about how stevia can affect hormone levels. I don't know how true that is, but I'm not much of a risk taker
Old 03-21-2013, 06:04 PM   #1812
Senior LCF Member

Got great news today that my hcg doubling time is stellar. That is so reassuring. I went ahead and told our moms and my sil that we're having a thanksgiving baby. Really looking forward to the first ultrasound that will be coming up in 2-3 weeks. I've got an appointment with an endocrinologist tomorrow to make sure we stay on top of managing the diabetes and hypothyroidism. Will be interesting if they make me see their nutritionist...lol.
Old 03-22-2013, 01:39 AM   #1813
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Arctic_Mama
Stats: 257/145.8/140
WOE: Atkins 2002/Protocol
Start Date: Began losing 10/08. Working off last 20 lbs.
Quote:
Yes my midwife will be doing it Friday morning, then sending me on my way. She's asked me to make an appointment for acupuncture that day as well. So I'll be sitting in the acupuncture office with it taped to my leg! They said it normally works in 12-24 hours. How long did yours take? I read of one lady who had results in just 30 minutes!
I hope Rose comes before this on Friday, but really I know this is a much better option then pitocin or anything the hospital will do!

I had an amazing and free massage tonight, my old massage teacher/boss is now a close friend and she came over to do all the induction trigger points, and used some lovely labor inducing essential oils on me, and left me with some to use on myself. I felt so relaxed. It was great!
Hmm... My foley fell out within 10-12 hours, if I remember correctly. I had it put in before lunch and it was out by evening. I had my daughter over the course of the next day (she was born at 4:00 am, I'd say I checked into the hospital at around 11:00 am the previous day, so I labored for about 18 hours after the foley got things going).

The massage sounds excellent! I have one through the birth center already paid for, I just need to book it. Thanks for the reminder
Old 03-22-2013, 01:40 AM   #1814
Major LCF Poster!

Welcome ladies! Congratulations on your BFP's!
Old 03-22-2013, 05:12 AM   #1815
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: luvmybabyhead
Stats: 342/288/275 (2nd goal)
Start Date: 7/17/13
Any babies yet?!

Congrats on the BFP ladies! How exciting! I hope to have one next year around this time.

Well I started my full dose of metformin on Monday. It made me O this month and I've lost about 6 pounds...and my stomach is SO angry. I am in the bathroom half the day. Last time I was on it this happened, but it went away after a couple of months.

Ugh. I don't know how long I will last. I really want to treat my PCOS and really want to be on it when I get preggo because of the miscarriage protection, but I am miserable.
Old 03-22-2013, 06:18 AM   #1816
KQT

Gallery: KQT
Stats: 203/post-baby/175
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmybabyhead View Post
Any babies yet?!

Congrats on the BFP ladies! How exciting! I hope to have one next year around this time.

Well I started my full dose of metformin on Monday. It made me O this month and I've lost about 6 pounds...and my stomach is SO angry. I am in the bathroom half the day. Last time I was on it this happened, but it went away after a couple of months.

It took me a good 2 weeks before it really started to agree with me, just gotta stick it out. The benefits far outweigh the negatives. When i first started met, I lost 20 lbs in 2 months, mostly from the side effects but it was a good appetite deterrent. I'm going through the bubbleguts with my lovaza fish oils for my cholesterols right now. Def don't take that pill at work!
Old 03-22-2013, 08:29 AM   #1817
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: luvmybabyhead
Stats: 342/288/275 (2nd goal)
Start Date: 7/17/13
Quote:
Originally Posted by KQT View Post
It took me a good 2 weeks before it really started to agree with me, just gotta stick it out. The benefits far outweigh the negatives. When i first started met, I lost 20 lbs in 2 months, mostly from the side effects but it was a good appetite deterrent. I'm going through the bubbleguts with my lovaza fish oils for my cholesterols right now. Def don't take that pill at work!
Ugh. I've been taking it at night so I have my worst bathroom issues at home at least! I'll try to stick with it for a bit longer before throwing in the towel. It really helped me to control my PCOS symptoms the last time I took it. Helped me lose weight too, combined with a LC diet.

My fish oil goesn't make my tummy hurt too much, thank goodness. But fishy burps are soooo gross!
Old 03-22-2013, 09:33 AM   #1818

Still no babies!

luvmybabyhead - So sorry the met is giving you problems. My Mom took it for a while and quit also, it was too much for her. Obvs she wasnt TTC though. I would probably give it a couple months, that was the rec'd time I heard that it takes your system to adjust.

I am off to Vegas today for my girl's weekend! So happy to get some girl time and do a little dancing and have some cocktails by the pool.

I should be O'ing next week so its back to business when I get home on Sunday.

Have a great weekend all!

Old 03-22-2013, 02:35 PM   #1819

Getting the foley sucked! Having it in me sucks! But I think I might be able to call it a success. For the last hour I've been trying to respond on here, but I've been having contractions every 8-11 minutes apart, they are lasting about 60-80 seconds at this point. I dunno when/if I'll get back on here before the baby comes.
Old 03-22-2013, 03:29 PM   #1820
Thick and Delicious

Gallery: CARLINI
Stats: 303/252/140
WOE: Eating REAL food
Start Date: 2/14/2004
Good luck Lori!
Old 03-22-2013, 03:57 PM   #1821
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: SouthernCJ
Stats: 146/Pregnant!/129 5'9"
Start Date: December 2009
Quote:
Getting the foley sucked! Having it in me sucks! But I think I might be able to call it a success. For the last hour I've been trying to respond on here, but I've been having contractions every 8-11 minutes apart, they are lasting about 60-80 seconds at this point. I dunno when/if I'll get back on here before the baby comes.
YESSSS!!!
Old 03-22-2013, 05:40 PM   #1822
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: peretroika
Stats: 5'2 140lbs
Quote:
Good luck Enjoy that new baby!

I just wanted to introduce myself...my name is Peri, I have a soon to be one year old (WHEN did that happen??)

I need to lose at least 20 lbs of baby weight that has not budged.

Also, is it possible to have PPT worsen even when it's been so long after birth...I felt really sad for the first 3 months or so after she was born, but it was just recently going back to work that I have been losing it.
I feel so awful leaving her, I don't want to do anything for myself or with my husband, I can't go to the gym because I feel like I don't see her enough as it is. We had a serious talk about quitting work for a year or so but that is just not possible with this economy and our finances. I have been waking up before her to have a little coffee, shower and me time which helps a lot, but this is so hard. Both are away at his moms right now because I started panicing in trader Joes and told my husband I just couldn't bear to be around people right now...yikes. So much mommy guilt. So I'm calling my doctor Monday.

Anyway, sorry to be such a Debbie Downer! I am so glad other moms are doing this and making it work- it is really inspiring!
Old 03-22-2013, 06:38 PM   #1823

Gallery: DisneyPrincess
WOE: Whatever it Takes
Start Date: Time to make this a lifestyle!
Wishing you luck Lori!! Can't wait to meet the newest member of LCF!

Peretroika- babies change our hormones so much. I'd say its completely possible. Very smart to talk to your doctor
Old 03-22-2013, 07:15 PM   #1824
Major LCF Poster!

Contractions this morning at 4 am consistently, and throughout the day sporadically. I was a loose 5 cm and 90% effaced with a an extremely pliant cervical floor at around 1:30, and it's been five hours since then. I keep contracting and dilating, but no down-to-business transition yet. Active labor, but with lots of plateaus. Oh well .

The midwife thinks I'll go tonight or early tomorrow morning and has stayed on hand in town to check in on me. She seems more convinced of my progress than me! I feel pretty good, all contractions aside. I haven't become agitated yet, though, which is my sign things are coming to a head (pun intended).

On a pregnancy break with baby #5 until January 2015
Old 03-22-2013, 09:40 PM   #1825

Ok right after I posted the contractions went away. Been feeling normal for the last couple hours. Took a nap, tried the breast pump, ate dinner. Right after the Midwife called and told me to take a benadryl and get some rest, the foley fell out. So now we are trying to page her. No contractions right now though. So I'm going to bed!
Old 03-23-2013, 04:48 AM   #1826
Senior LCF Member

Lori, that's gotta be so frustrating but you'll have that have in your arms so soon and will barely remember how hard the waiting was. That's how I felt anyway after being induced for two days then ending up with a section. Being patient is so hard!

Taryl, wondering if you already have that sweet baby in your arms. So exciting!

Peretroika, that could absolutely be ppd. So glad you recognize the need to call your doctor. They grow up so fast, don't they.

Shannon, I've been on met for years. I know all about the gi issues but they do pass once your blood sugars and insulin regulate a bit. I went through the gi issues again when starting lc because my bs was lowering to a new normal. Usually takes a couple weeks for me before it starts getting better. Hang in there... it'll be worth it!

I met with the endocrinologist yesterday and she's happy with my bs numbers for now so so can avoid insulin as long as I keep my sugars under control with diet. Last pregnancy I had to start insulin right away because I wasn't lc so they weren't being controlled well pre pregnancy. Then she gave me a copy of the recommended Jovonivich diet.... what a joke. If I followed that my bs would skyrocket with all the recommended carbs. I've only been strictly lc since Feb so I look forward to seeing if my a1c reflects the progress.
Old 03-23-2013, 07:01 AM   #1827

I think it is normal to be sad about leaving your baby all day, five days a week. I don't think a pill can fix that.
Old 03-23-2013, 10:23 AM   #1828
Major LCF Poster!

It was a long and funky evening, but as-of-yet unnamed baby girl was born 11:46 pm weighing in 7 lbs 12 oz, 20 inches long. Homebirth VBAC was a complete success and not terribly long after the earlier stuff in the day. Whew! I'll give more details later.

Old 03-23-2013, 10:24 AM   #1829
Major LCF Poster!

Apparently we decided on Holly Charlotte for a name. I was only mildly surprised she came out a girl, having been ambivalent on the sex even up to the end.
Old 03-23-2013, 01:11 PM   #1830

Congratulations
Closed Thread