Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Women's Health
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2013, 11:57 AM   #1771
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: DisneyPrincess
WOE: Whatever it Takes
Start Date: Time to make this a lifestyle!
Oh my Suzanne! I bet that was frightening!! I'm glad he's ok

Sending labor thoughts Lori

I'm home from Ny. It was a great vacation but good to be home. I'm officially doing weight watchers now and will start running again tomorrow time to get this baby weight off!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-2013, 12:27 PM   #1772

Gallery: pocahontas
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzanneyea View Post
Just called 911 for James. He is fine. But, he fell and you know how they are quiet before a big cry? Like their mouth open and you know it is coming. Well, I guess he did not get enough oxygen , so he passed out. We took no chances and called. It was really scary for about ten minutes though.
OMG, so glad he is OK!
Old 03-18-2013, 12:49 PM   #1773
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jillybean720
Stats: 324/193/150
WOE: LC/HF
Quote:
Just called 911 for James. He is fine. But, he fell and you know how they are quiet before a big cry? Like their mouth open and you know it is coming. Well, I guess he did not get enough oxygen , so he passed out. We took no chances and called. It was really scary for about ten minutes though.
How scary! So glad to hear he's okay. I hate that "quiet;" when Ben falls, I'm always waiting to see if he's just gonna roll over and move on or if he's going to start wailing, and it always takes a moment either way. You were smart to not take any chances.
Old 03-18-2013, 01:00 PM   #1774
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Happycat21
Stats: Ugh. Can't use the "new baby" excuse anymore!
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: every day
So glad baby James is okay!!!! I agree, better to be safe than sorry, that is for sure!!!

As a side note, I thought it was interesting they also have "911" in Canada. I always wondered what they do in other countries.
Old 03-18-2013, 01:02 PM   #1775

Gallery: suzanneyea
Stats: 156/124/120
WOE: Vlc
Thank god my husband was home, I am not sure my French would have been good enough under that stress.
Old 03-18-2013, 01:03 PM   #1776
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Did he wind up having to go to the hospital, or did the EMT workers just determine there that he was okay?
Old 03-18-2013, 01:25 PM   #1777
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Arctic_Mama
Stats: 257/145.8/140
WOE: Atkins 2002/Protocol
Start Date: Began losing 10/08. Working off last 20 lbs.
Quote:
Yikes! I'm glad he was okay! That would be terrifying as a mother
Old 03-18-2013, 01:30 PM   #1778
Major LCF Poster!

Lori, I'm sorry it is going so slowly for you. I have yet to not go overdue by a small or large amount, so I really do know how you feel

Speaking of which, I'm in social lockdown now. I'm so fed up and exhausted with days of contractions and bh and all sorts of labor without an actual baby. I can't decide what to do - cry, hit someone, eat the house down, or just keep knitting and try not to fly off the deep end (which sounds way more unsatisfying, I confess!). Pray for me and my family, that I don't flip out on everyone in complete frustration

What's worse, this has happened every pregnancy. I KNOW this is how it goes with me and each time swear I will be more zen about it. Big, big fail.

On a pregnancy break with baby #5 until January 2015
Old 03-18-2013, 01:31 PM   #1779
Major LCF Poster!

And I'm eating dark orange chocolate and walnuts for lunch instead of a salad and sardines. With a diet Dr. Pepper to wash it down. Because darn it, I don't care right now. It's on plan enough for my purposes.
Old 03-18-2013, 01:58 PM   #1780
KQT

Gallery: KQT
Stats: 203/post-baby/175
hang in there, girls! your finish line is almost here!

Lori, just read that carnie wilson has bells too.
suzanne, glad James is ok, but that would freak me out too!

My little cranky crankster wanted nothing to do with me today, then I dropped her off at grandma's and she was all smiles.
Old 03-18-2013, 02:06 PM   #1781
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Krissy-how did I miss that your little girl was born on my Brandon's birthday? 10/17!!! It's a great day!

Old 03-18-2013, 02:48 PM   #1782

Aww Taryl, hang in there! The finish line is in sight!

Krissy - sorry you had a cranky pants today! But glad Grandma could help!
Old 03-18-2013, 04:37 PM   #1783
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LucilleMcgill
Stats: 240/209/150
WOE: low/moderate carb
Start Date: 11/19/2012 while pregnant b/c Gestational Diabetes
Hi girls! I had my baby girl! I know I haven't posted much but I wanted to drop in and say hi and just say how well low carb worked for me this pregnancy. She was born 3/1 at home in the water. It was wonderful!!! Labor was not very long but was intense as she was posterior. She had no blood sugar issues at all! Thank God! She was not big like I was told she would be at my initial diagnosis either. I am so glad this GD thing happened, really. I found a wonderful midwife in the process and I learned that I can eat well even when pregnant. I plan on continuing LC while breastfeeding. I am 209 today. I have not been that weight in years. My PRE preganancy weight was 234. I got a new baby and new body

I need to catch up on everyone here. I hope you are all doing well.
Old 03-18-2013, 07:49 PM   #1784

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucilleMcgill View Post
Hi girls! I had my baby girl! I know I haven't posted much but I wanted to drop in and say hi and just say how well low carb worked for me this pregnancy. She was born 3/1 at home in the water. It was wonderful!!! Labor was not very long but was intense as she was posterior. She had no blood sugar issues at all! Thank God! She was not big like I was told she would be at my initial diagnosis either. I am so glad this GD thing happened, really. I found a wonderful midwife in the process and I learned that I can eat well even when pregnant. I plan on continuing LC while breastfeeding. I am 209 today. I have not been that weight in years. My PRE preganancy weight was 234. I got a new baby and new body

I need to catch up on everyone here. I hope you are all doing well.

I am so happy for you! Good job on the LC. I was the same way when I had DS. Stayed LC, kept everything in check, came home weighing less than pre-preg. Somewhere along the line I fell off the wagon. Please, please dont let that happen! I regret it every day. Would love to see pics of your little girl!
Old 03-18-2013, 11:33 PM   #1785

Gallery: Lori37
Stats: 310/215/180
WOE: Modified low carb
Start Date: 6/1/2010
Suzanne, so glad babe is ok!
Old 03-18-2013, 11:39 PM   #1786

Ok saw the Midwife today. There has been a little progress, I am 1 CM 50-60% effaced. Cervix still posterior. She wasn't able to really do a membrane sweep, but said she was able to just move things around a little.
The plan is that I MIGHT go in on Wednesday to try and sweep it again, but will for sure go in friday morning to have a catheter inserted into my cervix. Meanwhile I'm supposed to go get acupuncture, and they gave me some homeopathy pills to start taking that will bring on contractions. I'm wondering if this posterior cervix is a weight related one.
When I weighed this much before pregnancy I'd go in for a pap and the docs would complain that they had a hard time finding my cervix. After I lost a good amount of weight they would comment that it was easy. So maybe it's just hiding out in all the fat! lol.
Had a really good night after my appointment, dinner at the in laws. They totally catered to my low carb diet. (which is rare for them!)
My face is really really sore on the bells palsy side tonight, I think it's because I've been talking too much tonight. Now off to tape up my eye and try to get some sleep, so I can get some acupuncture tomorrow!
http://lorivsjourneytohealth.blogspot.com/
Old 03-19-2013, 03:16 AM   #1787

Baby James is stil just fine. We did not need to go to the ER. They did a full check at home, he basically just fainted. He better not do it again, I think I lost ten years off my life.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:43 AM   #1788
Senior LCF Member

I was SO excited because I ate some cauliflower with dinner last night - my first actual vegetable in weeks! But then I felt gross all night and couldn't get the cauliflower taste out of my mouth. Lesson learned. Baby Jelly does not like vegetables right now.

Jelly, by the way, comes from the ever-so-chic combining of names like they do for celebrity couples :P Jill + Jeff = Jiffy for our first baby (before we knew the sex) and Jelly for this one for now

Lori, glad to hear there are at least signs of progress! Sending natural labor vibes your way...
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucilleMcgill View Post
I got a new baby and new body
Pics or it didn't happen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic_Mama
And I'm eating dark orange chocolate and walnuts for lunch instead of a salad and sardines. With a diet Dr. Pepper to wash it down. Because darn it, I don't care right now. It's on plan enough for my purposes.
Man, you're doing fabulously for someone who is dealing with extended labor! I was almost the exact opposite - I never so much as had a BH before I started contracting for labor, and then popped him out less than 12 hours later. But, never know what might happen this time around!
Weight goals currently on hold due to pregnancy...baby #2 coming late October/early November 2013!

Pre-pregnancy #2 weight: 193 (the day I found out I was pregnant)
Old 03-19-2013, 08:55 AM   #1789

Jilly you never had a BH? Not even one? WOW!
Old 03-19-2013, 10:37 AM   #1790
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori37 View Post
Nope. I kept reading other people talking about them, and I thought something was wrong with me! Then one day, I just felt kind of mildly crampy throughout the day. It never occurred to me they could be any kind of contraction. I woke up at 3am the next morning with strong contractions and gave birth that afternoon. Those were the only contractions I ever had!
Old 03-19-2013, 10:59 AM   #1791

Quote:
I never did either! Then I had a c-sect so I experienced zero labor.
Old 03-19-2013, 12:34 PM   #1792

I had BH almost the whole second half of my pregnancy!
Old 03-19-2013, 12:40 PM   #1793
Major LCF Poster!

Yeah. My very shortest labor, not counting BH, was just over 24 hours of active labor. With my son it was several days of early labor after a few weeks of prodromal, and then once I hit transition I was 3 hours. So longer. And my first was weeks of prodromal labor, induction attempts from Sunday to Thursday morning, and then a c-section by the afternoon. I have long, drawn out labors and it sucks pretty badly, but unfortunately prodromal labor generally increases in duration with the number of babies.

Today, at least, I've just had BH and no really obnoxious contractions. Last night was pinchy, crampy ones that were less than pleasant.

Lucille - CONGRATULATIONS. Posterior stinks, I hate the back labor with it and it definitely makes pushing longer. You're a trooper

Lori - if they want to do a Foley catheter that is wise, I LOVED mine and it is a very safe method for getting things rolling. Membrane sweeps are one of those things I find better to save for more dilation than not, as once the tool is out of the toolbox it can't be used again, you know? That said, if they're concerned about you going post dates a foley followed by a membrane sweep to stir things up (not the sweep first) is an EXCELLENT induction method that gives you a better Bishop score and a much higher chance of success. Keep us posted as to how you're doing, I'm cheering for you!
Old 03-19-2013, 12:59 PM   #1794

I had my first BH at around 4 months when it was 100 degrees and I was doing too much and not staying hydrated. Then nothing for a few months. But for the last 2 months or so I've been getting them more and more frequently. Especially when walking, some times bad enough that I have to pause for a moment. And the last two times I was at the midwives, as soon as I laid down for them to check my uterus, I went into a strong BH and they had to wait for it to pass. I get anywhere from 3-20 a day!

Thanks for the encouragement Taryl! Never heard anyone say they loved anything about being induced. LOL. Is it painful? I heard the sweeping is painful, and frankly just them checking my cervix has been pretty darn intense.
Old 03-19-2013, 05:47 PM   #1795

Quote:
I had BH almost the whole second half of my pregnancy!
Me too!
Old 03-19-2013, 06:32 PM   #1796

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocahontas View Post
Yeah, that's my friend. She's had two babies now and never one contraction.
Old 03-19-2013, 10:59 PM   #1797
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I had my first BH at around 4 months when it was 100 degrees and I was doing too much and not staying hydrated. Then nothing for a few months. But for the last 2 months or so I've been getting them more and more frequently. Especially when walking, some times bad enough that I have to pause for a moment. And the last two times I was at the midwives, as soon as I laid down for them to check my uterus, I went into a strong BH and they had to wait for it to pass. I get anywhere from 3-20 a day!

Thanks for the encouragement Taryl! Never heard anyone say they loved anything about being induced. LOL. Is it painful? I heard the sweeping is painful, and frankly just them checking my cervix has been pretty darn intense.
Well remember my very first baby was supposed to be a home birth and ended up being overdue by well over a week, four days of induction and then a c-section. So every birth I have had since then compared to that nightmare - pretty low bar to jump over

Sweeps are uncomfortable but not painful if they're done slowly, compared to transition contractions. I'd rank a foley as equal to or less painful than a sweep - they have to separate the membranes on one section of your cervix to insert the balloon in there, so it is a partial sweep. But honestly it isn't any more painful than menstrual cramps with the initial insertion, and I never felt much of anything beyond normal contractions until I was 3-ish cm dilated and the balloon fell out on its own. It's also an outpatient procedure - I went to a restaurant to meet with my doula with it taped to my leg, progressing slowly and relaxingly as it exerted pressure on my cervix and not under the gun or tied to an IV. That is priceless IMO

Compare that to cervidil and pitocin for hours on end, with a malpositioned baby and no effective pain management? If someone needs inducing there is really no comparison - it's like comparing a normal dental cleaning with a fractured root or dry sockets after wisdom tooth surgery and no painkillers. Yeah, one can be a little uncomfortable with the scraping or the flossing, but it's a world away from throbbing nerve pain with no relief!

Last edited by Arctic_Mama; 03-19-2013 at 11:03 PM..
Old 03-19-2013, 11:17 PM   #1798

Yes my midwife will be doing it Friday morning, then sending me on my way. She's asked me to make an appointment for acupuncture that day as well. So I'll be sitting in the acupuncture office with it taped to my leg! They said it normally works in 12-24 hours. How long did yours take? I read of one lady who had results in just 30 minutes!
I hope Rose comes before this on Friday, but really I know this is a much better option then pitocin or anything the hospital will do!

I had an amazing and free massage tonight, my old massage teacher/boss is now a close friend and she came over to do all the induction trigger points, and used some lovely labor inducing essential oils on me, and left me with some to use on myself. I felt so relaxed. It was great!
Old 03-20-2013, 05:14 AM   #1799

Wanted to update. I had my appointment yesterday. Not pregnant and I had the paraguard put back in. I'm now protected until 2023.
Old 03-20-2013, 06:07 AM   #1800
Senior LCF Member

Alright, someone flipped a switch in my body. I went from weeks of nothing sounding good and having very little appetite, to now I'm STARVING all the time! Guess baby Jelly got tired of me not eating much, even though it was her fault to begin with :P

I have so much to do to get ready for Ben's birthday party on Saturday! My sister is doing the cupcakes, so that will help. I actually already started putting up some decorations since I just can't imagine trying to do everything Friday night/Saturday morning. I took Friday off from work and am heading to the salon for mani, pedi, haircut, and eyebrow wax, my first time doing ANY of those since Ben was about 6 weeks old! Also having my house cleaned that morning and my dogs groomed that day. I'm going to start making what I can ahead of time, like my fruit and veggie dips probably tonight, maybe deviled eggs tomorrow night since they should keep fine in the fridge...my evenings are so hit-or-miss with how I feel when I get home from work. My family won't be in town until late Friday (like 8pm or later), so they can help Saturday morning, but not before then.

Oh, and my sister just informed me that they're staying with us while they're here, which is fine except they had previously said they were getting a hotel, so now I have to make sure our rarely-used upstairs room is also cleaned out for them to use. I may be able to assign that project to my husband...
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyPrincess View Post
Wanted to update. I had my appointment yesterday. Not pregnant and I had the paraguard put back in. I'm now protected until 2023.
Thanks for the update! The paragard is the copper IUD, right? I wish I had that as an option, but I need the hormonal birth control for ovarian cyst prevention. I've heard such widely varying experiences with the Mirena that it makes me quite nervous. Guess I'll cross that bridge after this baby is out!
Quote:
I had an amazing and free massage tonight, my old massage teacher/boss is now a close friend and she came over to do all the induction trigger points, and used some lovely labor inducing essential oils on me, and left me with some to use on myself. I felt so relaxed. It was great!
Oooh, what a treat!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pocahontas View Post
I can't say I'm not a little jealous of that I got an epidural, as I knew I wanted ahead of time, but they gave it too late, and it didn't work fully, so I felt every single contraction - I would say until he was out, but the contractions actually keep going even after that
Closed Thread